User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Best courses to study to become a counsellor??

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has studied any type of counselling course.

A friend of mine would like to become a professional counsellor but she is unsure of the best way to go about it. She lives way beyond the black stump in regional WA so will be studying by distance education. The internet connection can be a bit dicey because the lines go down when cows bump the electric fences.

We've been looking up courses from ACAP-Australian College of Applied Psychology and from AIPC-Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors, and also from various unis.

Can anyone advise us on whether it is worth doing a diploma or is it better to do a degree? She would like to be able to start her own business eventually.

If you are able to help it would be appreciated. Thanks heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I am currently studying with AIPC a diploma of professional counselling. I find the course very comprehensive and easy to take, plus it requires limited time on the internet (I dont have it at home). I find the institute very helpful also and they offer a variety of methods to submit practical assessment, but be aware that there are practical assessments that MUST be done in order to complete it.....so if you dont have access to where the session is held in WA or to a video camera, then your friend may struggle.

I also have found that alot of places like a social work degree....so i dont know? The diploma qualifies you to start your own business, but in regards to getting a job it can limit you. Then again, plenty of people with degrees find it hard too!!

Good luck to your friend!
    ME 25 DH 26
    FIRST TIMERS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply PCP.

feedback like yours does help alot to make the decision of what to study easier. Do you mind if I PM you with further questions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not at all
    ME 25 DH 26
    FIRST TIMERS!