• I have small boobs and make loads of milk

25 35.71%
  • I have small boobs and dont make enough milk

3 4.29%
  • I have big boobs and couldnt breast feed for physical reasons

0 0%
  • I have small boobs and couldnt breast feed for physical reasons

1 1.43%
  • I have one big boob and one small boob... they both make the same amount of milk (thought i would chuck this one in LOL)

3 4.29%
  • Other.

4 5.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big Boobs Vs Small Boobs (Milk supply)

so are you big boobed or little boobed and do you make much milk?

i am small breasted and was thinking today why is it they say big or small doesnt make a difference.. i cant help but think if you have bigger boobs doesnt that mean you have bigger 'tanks' so to speak to store milk in?

i would have thought big boobs equal more milk.. anyone tell me why this is not so? doesnt make sense.
    I am the old lady that lives in the shoe that has so many children and is lost what to do ... some days

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the important point is that your body, once it is lactating, never actually stops making milk, it's always being produced, so the 'tank' size makes no difference.

If you are drinking out of a small cup or a big cup, as long as it is being constantly replenished, the actual size of the cup doesn't matter, just the fact that it's never going to run out, as long as you are drinking out of it.

It's the whole supply and demand thing.

As long as you have breast ducts which feed to the nipple, you will, in the vast majority of cases, be able to breastfeed, no problem.
    Yoga Mum to 3 boys..
    Amor Fati

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm small busted, was a C cup when breastfeeding and my DS gained weight like crazy!

I would often wake up feeling like Dolly Parton.

There was nothing at all wrong with my supply
    some people are so poor, all they have is money

prideNJoy is offline October ~ Vaccine Injury Awareness Month
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Small boobies + boobie monster = heaps of milk! ETA: I hope 10B/C's are considered small when BF, otherwise i chose the wrong option?!)

And about what AM said, 'tis true, 'tis true.
    Last edited by prideNJoy; 19-01-2009 at 11:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big boobs basically equal more fat...
    they all have the same amount of milk ducts. so i'm pretty sure they all make the same amount of milk (and in that i mean, as much as is required by the child).

(i have small breasts, but i don't know what my milk supply is like just yet )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I think the important point is that your body, once it is lactating, never actually stops making milk, it's always being produced, so the 'tank' size makes no difference.

If you are drinking out of a small cup or a big cup, as long as it is being constantly replenished, the actual size of the cup doesn't matter, just the fact that it's never going to run out, as long as you are drinking out of it.

As long as you have breast ducts which feed to the nipple, you will, in the vast majority of cases, be able to breastfeed, no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MimiGrace View Post
    Big boobs basically equal more fat...
    they all have the same amount of milk ducts. so i'm pretty sure they all make the same amount of milk (and in that i mean, as much as is required by the child).

I am small busted & only had issues with supply both times but that was because first time I endured a traumatic birth so this meant my body went haywire, second time I had a baby that refused to feed or when he did only fed for small periods but I certainly had milk that time !

My aunty is as flat chested as they come & fed all 5 of her boys & 3 of them past the age of 2yrs !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post

okay that makes sense so does that mean that small breasted women would have to feed a baby more often because they have little 'tanks' like a little cup you need to have more little cups rather than one big one?

my baby is constantly on the boob and it is becoming exhausting. wonder if that is because i have smaller boobs. she is however gaining heaps of weight so i know she is getting plenty, plus she throws half of it back up most of the time.
    I am the old lady that lives in the shoe that has so many children and is lost what to do ... some days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I have B/C cups and have as much milk as the boy needs. I agree that it's supply and demand, rather than size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
    okay that makes sense so does that mean that small breasted women would have to feed a baby more often because they have little 'tanks' like a little cup you need to have more little cups rather than one big one?

my baby is constantly on the boob and it is becoming exhausting. wonder if that is because i have smaller boobs. she is however gaining heaps of weight so i know she is getting plenty, plus she throws half of it back up most of the time.
    Nah boobs are like a tap - they are a conduit rather than a storage tank. Your littlie being on the boob all the time sounds pretty normal at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
    She's there for a reason, I know it's bloody tiring, but it's what she needs, she has a stomach the size of her fist. Boob size has no bearing on milk IMO.