User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ARRGH! school captain speech!!!

dont get me wrong, Im very excited and proud of our daughter for being nominated for the primary school captain....however, she has to make a speech about leadership on Tuesday and guess who is going to have write it MOI

She has written down a few ideas but the school says she is not allowed to campaign for herself at all in the speech - so the leadership speech is very open...its such a huge topic...how on earth do you condense it for a 2 - 3min speech

pleeeease help - and if you want to write it for me, Ill pay well ----JUST KIDDING!

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

PS it annoys the hell out of me though, our voting system seems totally rigged - every year the winners seem to be the strangest choices - especially when last year the principals son got it - and he was the biggest PIA you have ever come across!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not sure why you are writing your DD's speech in the first place

Perhaps there is a good reason but isnt the point of these types of leadership positions in primary schools to provide children with an opportunity to gain self confidence, public speaking and leadership skills. Wouldnt she be better off writing it herself (perhaps with your help if needed) so she gains invaluable life skills???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    Im not sure why you are writing your DD's speech in the first place

Perhaps there is a good reason but isnt the point of these types of leadership positions in primary schools to provide children with an opportunity to gain self confidence, public speaking and leadership skills. Wouldnt she be better off writing it herself (perhaps with your help if needed) so she gains invaluable life skills???
    100%...
    Me +DH + DD +D? = 1 Perfect Family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe she can write about what she thinks makes a good leader and why.

I agree with the others that she should write her own speech.
    Me: 39
    DH: 37
    DD1: 7
    DD2: 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could start by asking lots of questions and writing down what she thinks.

I can understand you wanting to help her!

I would ask her what she thinks being a leader is about generally, what qualities they might have. Get her to think up who the people she thinks everyone likes to follow are. Who are some of the great leaders she had heard of are? Which ones does she like or not? Get a big picture of what a leader is, then go to a smaller picture - a local example.
    Finally she could talk about what she thinks she would like to be a good example of. If you help her with the structure but write down what she really feels I think that isn't cheating. She's simply learning how to structure her thoughts.

Good on her!

"The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do." John Holt

Thanks
    Reviews
    just to defend myself a little here...

Im not doing the entire thing - however we are talking about a yr 5 student who has never had to write a speech, say a speech or do anything in regard to public speaking...

she had absolutely no idea what she had to do so with her imput on ideas i have tied it all together - which means...yes I suppose I wrote the speech

Am I suppose to say to her - no sorry babe, you are on your own, this is going to give you self confidence, leadership skills and public speaking experience. if i did that I think it would do the opposite...

And lastly, this is the start of her public speaking experience - I doubt its all going to come together the first time...this is the perfect time to show her how to do it with alot of imput from her parents which will allow her to gain self confidence...

Anyway, we have finished it, it sounds great, she feels confident about it and is actually looking forward to tuesday......

and thanks tiggermamma for your support!