Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myfanwy View Post
    My non -Aboriginal Grandfather and my non-Aboriginal sister-in-law were both stolen from their families. These did not happen 200 years ago but 70 and 40 years ago. Why are these things happening to now (or in the recent past) generations less important if they happened to non-Aboriginals than if they happened to Aboriginals. Both of these incidents and there are hundreds of thousands like them have also
    affected the mothers, brothers (my DH) our children, my Mother (she grew up without Grandparents and cousins). Why are they less important becuase they happened on the non-Aboriginal side of my family ????

It is because it is not politically correct to talk about the 'stolen' White generations.
    Of course any separation of parent from a child is a horrible thing. I have a great deal of compassion for anyone who has to go through it. The significance of the Stolen Generation though is racism and genocide. At least one hundred thousand Indigenous children were removed from their families for no other reason than to 'breed out' their 'blackness' and to obliterate their culture. That is the horrible difference. It's not just about looking at the individual cases, it's looking at the purpose and the obvious consequences of the governments actions for an entire population of people both to those involved as individuals and to their culture.
    Last edited by Frany; 14-10-2008 at 07:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't see the difference between the non-Aboriginal and Aboriginal stolen generations.

My non-Aboriginal family were stolen as people at that time did not approve of unmarried mothers and children living in poverty. They thought they were doing it for the children's welfare just like they thought the Aboriginals would be better placed in other homes for their welfare. Hundreds if not thousands of the aboriginals stolen were being abused in their family of origin just like the non-aboriginals. Just like today, but nowdays the government is too scared to remove them even though it is for their own safety.

Having said that thankfully none of my aboriginal family were 'stolen'.

razzle is offline FORUM MANAGER~ Always watching...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to those who have contributed, but this thread is causing too many noses to be put out of joint. It's closed.
    Rach
    RETIRED FORUM MANAGER - ask RaryGirl instead

The best thing about free speech is [deleted by admin]

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456