User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think Euthinasia should be legal?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

10 13.89%
  • Yes

15 20.83%
  • Yes, but have it controlled

41 56.94%
  • Not sure

6 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Euthanasia

Hey everyone,

I've been reading a book about a lady with cancer who euthinised herself, and it broke my heart as the person who helped her got charged with her murder.

IMO, if someone is in that much pain they should be allowed to take their life, as it's theirs to take.

To me quality of life is far more important than quantity.

Whats your opinion?
    Last edited by SugarBlossom; 04-05-2006 at 21:35.

MammaMia is offline Bald is beautiful!!!
    WINNER 2006 Bub Hub Awards: Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst I haven't been there, and I have no difficulty with pain management that has a side effect of hastening inevitable death, I think euthanasia is a slippery slope.

Difficult area to balance and I prefer to stick with the blanket approach regarding the sanctity of life. I have the same approach regarding sanctity of life for issues such as suicide, and capital punishment.

I guess your answer will depend upon what your beliefs are regarding the value of this life, in all its variations, and your perspective on any after-life.
    Four little people - precious times!

“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!”
    Living life according to the truths of Dr Seuss

Thanks
    Reviews
    mmm, definetly a hot topic, and one that lots of people can feel passionate about either way.
    I personally dont agree with it, like mammamia, I see nothing wrong with giving as much pain relief as possible to keep someone who is in their last days comfortable, but I think legalised euthansia would only create the opportunity for more unscrupulous members of society to do away with unwanted relatives.
    If someone is capable of and wants to end their own life, how can anyone else stop them? but to ask someone to assist, or allow people to assist is only asking for trouble and/or heartache, besides, since when did getting put down like a dog become a dignified way to die?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Dying is sometimes not the easiest thing. If I was ever at the stage where every second was agonising pain, then I would be all for ending it. To me that's not living. All my family knows that if I was ever in an accident and needed life support, that I would want them to pull the plug.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coopsntilly
    If someone is capable of and wants to end their own life, how can anyone else stop them? but to ask someone to assist, or allow people to assist is only asking for trouble and/or heartache, besides, since when did getting put down like a dog become a dignified way to die?
    It's when it gets to the point where the person cannot do anything for themselves, including suicide when they ask for assistance.

By the same token, we wouldn't expect a dog to suffer why do we expect our own flesh and blood to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with you Little Buddah baby....I have watched a few loved ones die from illnesses now, and it's not something you want to see them go through...I don't know if I could personally do it myself or assist someone, but I think that right should be there. I know it's a fine line between out and out suicide, but not everything is black and white IYKWIM?? It's heartbreaking seeing someone in pain, nearing death and if they wish to leave this world in their own way, who are we to stop them?
    Me 31~ DH 30
    Our Little Princesses - DD1 2004 DD2 2007
    Our Little Prince 2010

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not too sure..
    Stay at Home Mumma
    Alexander James
    Mary Catherine
    Caitlinn Elisabeth
    Connor Stanley
    due 30th of July

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chellegoth
    we wouldn't expect a dog to suffer why do we expect our own flesh and blood to?
    ooo, now that, I believe, is a very good point there! And animals cant even speak for themselves

Mum with 6 kids, 5 boys, one girl
    22, 18, 16, 13, 13, 10

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand your veiw coopsntilly but I think that it is more dignified to end life before the quality in non exsistant .

It would obviously have to be controlled by laws and done in a supervised environment other wise, as you said, people would do away with in laws ( hehe) and other less torreleble family members!

If my partner asked me to help him....I would cos I love him and don't want to see him suffer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chellegoth
    It's when it gets to the point where the person cannot do anything for themselves, including suicide when they ask for assistance.

By the same token, we wouldn't expect a dog to suffer why do we expect our own flesh and blood to?
    There is no reason for anyone to suffer a painful death these days, there are plenty of drugs available to ensure that someone in their last days is completly peaceful and pain free, as I said im all for giving people as much of these drugs as possible, even if it means speading up an inevitable death, but I just think the whole idea of assisted suicide opens up the door to others using it to their own advantage, either because they dont want the burden anymore or for financial gain.