User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age did your bub start feeding itself with a spoon?

My DD is 15 months old and still not capable of eating food by herself with a spoon. Actually, she still isn't overly interested in solid foods and will only eat bits and pieces . We did baby led solids at 7 months and she is also breastfed which she loves.

My mum made me feel bad yesterday as she said my DD should well and truly be using a spoon by now and that she would also be deficient in nutrients like iron.

Personally I don't think it really matters about spoon feeding at this age. As long as she's some how getting food in her mouth I'm happy

Just wondering what age your baby started feeding itself with a spoon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 15 months and can feed herself an entire meal.... only started happening a month ago... we just started giving her a spoon and had another for us and in between her trying to feed herself we spooned some in as well.... pretty soon she only wanted to do it all herself and cracked it if we tried to help....i wouldn't be too concerned you are right the main thing is as long as they are eating. Maybe just give bub a spoon and see what happens? It gets messy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD2 is 16 months and can manage a spoon and guide it to her mouth, but its not particularly effective just yet. (Sticky foods are best to try with - they stay on the spoon better!)

This is quite new as well ... only the past fortnight, really. I haven't really been trying to "teach" her how ... just let her try when she wanted to, and put up with the mess. (There is a LOT of mess.)

I wouldn't be too worried it ... she'll pick it up slowly now, or quickly later. Like so many of these "development" things. At their own pace is best.
    *Why, yes! I am a feminist!*
    Woman, writer, thinker, wife, and proud Montessori mama!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DS is 19months and is soooo not interested in using a spoon/fork... he'd rather use his hands!
    he eats a lot, so i'm grateful for that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou ladies for your replies.

M&S - I have tried giving DD a spoon with her meals but she just doesn't seem to grasp the concept. I'll keep trying though.

Jaq - You're right. My DD has been a little on the slow side with most of her milestones so I figure she will do it when she's ready.

Babygiggle - That's great that your DS is such a good eater. Has he always been that way or is it just recently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD started to eat with a spoon around 18 months,she has her days though,and sometimes eats with her hand as well...don't stress too much about it,all babies are different
    I 34 DH 39
    Husky Dusky DD1 7 yrs
    DD2 4 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 15 months and can guide a spoon to his mouth. He still has trouble manipulating the spoon in the bowl to get some food on it but he's getting there. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The time will come.
    DS1 - Apr 07
    DS2 - Jul 09

Thanks
    Reviews
    Felix is 16 months and I have always given him a spoon, so he just kind of took to it naturally. I wouldn't worry though, he uses his spoon, his fingers, and just this morning, his whole face in his porridge.

As someone above said, just give her a spoon and let her go... and it will get very messy .
    ali
    luka - jul 18/05
    felix - mar 16/07

Oh veve- I am ever thankful to have a friend as glorious, gorgeous and just plain adorable as you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by lukaelmo View Post
    I wouldn't worry though, he uses his spoon, his fingers, and just this morning, his whole face in his porridge.

LOVE IT

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD insists on eating everything with either a spoon or a fork, and it's not just one. It's 2. One for each hand. If you give her just one she fusses and whinges "Two! Two!"

She hasn't quite got the idea of eating stuff she gets on the spoon, she would much rather feed me. And if I refuse, everything on the spoon goes all over the walls cos she flings it around. So most of the time I sit there with my mouth open and a spoon in my hand feeding her while she feeds me

Hope she gets the drift of feeding herself soon. Getting tired of boring oats for breakfast every morning
    When I cry, I am not being naughty or misbehaving; I am not being unreasonable. Please listen to me when I am feeling this way. I know it's hard to listen to me cry. Listen to me so that I don't repress these feelings and turn bitter when I get older. Please don't distract me. I need to deal with these feelings. Offer me hugs and support. Stay with me when I cry. Listen.. Keep listening..