User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Giving Birth as a foreigner in Melbourne

Hi
    My husband is an Australian citizen, working in Singapore. We plan to migrate back to Melbourne in a few years' time. Because of citizenship issue for my baby (I am a Singaporean and my baby will automatically become a Singaporean if i have him/her in Singapore and cannot renounce citizenship until 21 years of age and no dual citizenship thereafter), I am thinking of having my baby (7 weeks pregnant now) in Melbourne

I have done some research:-
    Citizenship - no problem to become an Australian citizen as my hubby is one
    Airlines - Qantas guideline is max 35 weeks to fly
    visa - was about to put in my application for spouse visa when i learnt that I am pregnant. Now have to go on a tourist visa (3 mths)
    Custom - no restriction as citizenship is by application
    Accommodation - my brother and BIL are both staying in Melbourne

Questions
    1. are there gynaes or hospitals willing to admit me?
    2. Must I get a gynae's referral to book into a maternity hospital? How soon should that be?
    3. I do not have a private insurance or do my hubby has a medicare card in australia now. Can my brother use his medicare for me? I am prepared to pay cash.

Thanks and appreciate your replies.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I'm not really sure about the answers to your questions - but have moved your post to its own thread as I think that you will get more replies that way

Good luck and I hope you find the answers you are after.
    "Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." -Elizabeth Stone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many People from other countries come to Australia for surgery so I dont believe you will have a problem .......if you are willing to pay. I believe that as 'you' (having baby) are the person who has to be admitted that you will need private health insurance or will have to pay the out of pocket expenses (u cant use your husbands brothers Medicare, you have to have your own Medicare number or be on your husbands number).
    Australia does have agreements with some countries so may be ask Medicare (I know it has with England, Italy & malta).

I have had some experience with overseas visitors in public hospitals and often it is cheaper for them to pay at a private hospital than to pay at a public hospital.
    Also my american friend recently returned to Australia 32weeks preg she just booked a private ob when she was 8 weeks preg and he organised the private hospital but she had overseas visitor health insurance I think with Medibank private.

Medicare wise if u email them they will answer your questions.

I hope this helps
    Me 33 DH 33
    DD 4
    DS born sleeping 23wks
    DD born July '12
    9wks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Hi, thanks so much for your advise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked into going private self-paid too because we had just migrated to Australia and it was pretty pricey.

From what I can glean, it is only Singapore that would not recognize your child's dual citizenship anyway and only after age 21 i.e. according to them he would have to choose after that age. But I *think* Australia would recognize him as having Australian citizenship by descent (his father) straight away which is what counts anyway? Also, from what I understand it's from age 21 that they would have to renounce their second citizenship in order to hold on to their Singapore one. So it's basically their choice which one to keep and would be based on the laws in 21 times which may well change!

"Foreigners who naturalise as Singaporean citizens are required to renounce all foreign citizenships. Minors who are dual or multiple citizens by birth on foreign soil, by descent from foreign parents or by naturalisation before the age of 18 are required to renounce all foreign citizenships by the age of 22 or may lose his/her Singapore citizenship[5]." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapo...ationality_law

Make sure you look into that thoroughly because you may not have to go through the expense and inconvenience.
    Me 30 DH 37 Ava 1 year

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that you will not be able to use your BIL medicare.

If you do have problems trying to book into a hospital or ob that if you just turn up to a public hospital who have maternity facilities in labour they cannot refuse you. They will look after you and birth the baby and sort out all the payment issues later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pikabini,

I'm a Singaporean as well as Aussie PR. I'm 6 wk pregnant. Both my hubby and me are working in Singapore but considering to move back to Australia in time to come. Thus, if I can deliver my baby in Aust-Melbourne it will be great.

I am wondering if you have any tips to share?
    When do you intend to travel to Melbourne?
    Are you seeing a gynae in Singapore now?
    I'm clueless when come to Melbourne gynea and hospital? What kind of costs will I be exposed to?
    What is BIL medicare?

Hope to get some advice from anyone.

cheers.
    Last edited by Melsin; 15-08-2008 at 19:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Thanks, for your advise.

Melsin, I have sent you some information through your private mail.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Malaysian Pregnant in Perth

Hello there.

I am 13 weeks pregnant. My husband is a Kiwi Citizen and I hold a 5 year work visa. We just came to Perth in February this year.

We are blessed to have our first baby. Having said that,
    we need to prepare for the pregancy cost etc.
    I dont have a maternity insurance hence everything has to come out from our own pocket.
    Can I get some advice on which hospital to go to?
    I would also like to know the cost of having a baby in a private hospital and a public hospital?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from you guys.

thanks alot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could anyone in this forum update our members the cost of giving birth in Melbourne (private vs public) as of 2012?