+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Calling all non vaxers!

As a non vaxer I cop a lot of flak and I think its because people

A) Just vax cos it's the done thing
    B) They do not understand a thing about it from a non vaxxers point of veiw

So I wanted to start a thread for us non vaxers a encouragement and maybe to share ideas that we have not noticed.

I love talking non vaxx with a very good friend of mine as she feels the same way as me

For me the decision to not vax was an immensly researched choice, and I did look at both sides of the arguement.

I'm not interested in hearing pro vaxers opinions here.

But would rather find out one reason off your list as to why you did not vaxx.

Mine is:

I felt the risk of the diseases that are in immunisations have very tiny chance of causing problems and that the higher risk was in the drugs themselves
    Last edited by SugarBlossom; 19-04-2006 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me me, I'm a non-vaxer. I battled with my decision though, for me it wasn't an easy choice to make. With my first baby, I instinctively felt that injecting her full of **** was the wrong thing to do. I vaccinated her homeopathically but then when she was one, I was shouted at (yep, I kid you not!) by both a doctor and a nurse and bullied into allowing her to have her first vaccinations. It was midnight, I'd taken her to the medical centre with vomittting and diarrhea and I was tired, worried and emotionally vulnerable. They pounced on that and I had no fight left in me.
    I then went on to vax my next three kids, feeling that it wasn't the right thing to do but not having the guts to fight it .
    With Shine, my last baby, my husband is supportive, and together we decided to leave her unvaxed. We researched, we discussed at length and we chose to at least delay them. I suspect we are delaying til she is at least in puberty .
    "Never have so many understood so little about so much..."

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a foot in both camps but am leaning towards non-vaxing.

Vallerie was vaccinated, even had the Hep B at birth (But look in my siggy for my reasoning) I didn't research anything, I just bleated that old line "I could never forgive myself if she got polio/whooping cough/measles and died". But she's due for her 4 yr old ones, but I don't think she'll have them. I've been researching a lot during this pregnancy, and don't think Chomper will be vax'd at all. For me, it's about risk assessment, and motivation. What motivation do the "anti-vax" camp have for trying to convince me not to vax?? Just the honest belief that people need to be educated about the truth. Whereas, what motivation do the big pharmaceutical companies have..... $$$$$$$.

I wonder if there's any kind of registry or list of "non-vax friendly doctors" so I could find a good doctor who will be supportive of my choices? Does anyone know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that you said
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Buddah Baby
    I'm not interested in hearing pro vaxers opinions here.

however I just wanted to say that I think in alot of circumstances you are very right in saying this

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buddah Baby
    (people) Just vax cos it's the done thing
    I am a vaxxer (?is that even a word?) and I think that this is the only reason why. I honestly dont even know why I vaxed, and never thought of not doing it, the medical professionals just told me what the were doing, so to speak, they never even explained why! (they must just assume its obvious!) I really think we do need to be educated more!
    good on you for doing the research..I wish I had thought of it...but with everything else as a new mum, I didnt really think about it, i just did it cause it was the done thing!...like many others i am sure!

to you!

(hope you dont mind that i posted this)
    Lexus Maree 21/10/04 my little treasure

Thanks
    Reviews
    After a horrific adverse reaction to his 4 month vaccinations, we're delaying Aiden's vaccinations; at this stage we plan to reassess at 12 months. We've researched, but are still researching now, and still weighing up our options (including homoeopathic immunisations) and our feelings. Aidy had Vitamin K, Hepatitis B, and his 2 month and 4 month immunisations. We weren't informed at all about vaccinations at the time, other than what the doctors (and midwives in the case of the Vit K and Hep B at birth) told us, which was basically nothing. Since making the decision to delay vaxing, we're much more aware, informed and responsible for our decisions.

the_queen, there are practitioners who will be largely supportive of your choice to delay/avoid vaxing, as well as providing alternative information and advice...they're called Naturopaths and Homoeopaths. After several bad experiences with mainstream medical "care" for our son, we ventured into natural medicine with skilled practitioners, and have never looked back. He's healthier, happier and brighter than ever, and we feel 100% confident in our choice of care providers. If an emergency medical situation arose, of course we would take him to Hospital/a GP (depending on the circumstances). But for colds, viruses, minor ills, and yes, vaccination assistance, we're sticking with natural therapies.
    Aiden 12.06.05 (Birth Centre babe)

Layla 05.05.07 (freebirthed on International Midwives' Day )

Thanks
    Reviews
    To you ladies who still are unsure, i found delaying them with my second son till he was 2 1/2 made a huge difference, he had a terrible reaction to his first couple, so we left it till he was older, and he wasnt fazed a bit and had no reaction whatsoever. We will probably do this with Tilly as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaFelicity
    the_queen, there are practitioners who will be largely supportive of your choice to delay/avoid vaxing, as well as providing alternative information and advice...they're called Naturopaths and Homoeopaths.

LOL thanks Felicity, yeah I sometimes ask questions without thinking of what the most obvious answer might be... I guess the "mainstream" is so ingrained in me that I just automatically assume we have to have a "family doctor".

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeay! another non-vaxer here.
    I did heaps of research before jarrah was born (even before he was conceived as it was relevant to my job), and decided it wasn't worth the risks. my DP and i are both natural therapists and we feel pretty confident in dealing with issues as they arise. there are some good doctors out there. look for integrative, or environmental medicine practitioners as they are generally supportive of non vaxing, for those times when a doctor is needed.
    nice to have a supportive space for this issue!!!
    Jess ~ doula
    mama to jarrah-bear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to see some non vaxxers!

I know there must be more of you out there, so come in and support something which seems to most people to be the wrong thing to do (not vaxxing I mean)

With all the pro immunise threads around where we get hammered I thought it would be great start a suppotive thread

to lexis mum....bummer you diden't research, but maybe for the next?
    Last edited by SugarBlossom; 21-04-2006 at 19:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Go the non vaxers!!

I am so glad to hear so much support for us non vaxers. It isn't something we often come across.

I have just been reading some other threads where all of the mums are so pro vaccination and I wonder how many of them just went with the flow or were fed horror stories until they believed that vaccination is a gift from god (from money hungry man more like it). I take pride in knowing that I did the research and made an informed choice about the health of my daughter.

Thanks for making my day.

Brooke