User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default can anyone give info to a foreigner planning to give birth in australia?!

i'm a foreigner and i plan to give birth to my second child in australia (as my husband needs to be there for business purposes around my EDD)

appreciate info on the following
    1) am i allowed to go to a public hospital or must i only go private?

2) what's the average cost for an elective c-section ( I had an Emerg C-section for my 1st bb)

thanks!! any other info you think i should know pertaining to the above issues would be most welcomed too.!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lollipop888 View Post
    i'm a foreigner and i plan to give birth to my second child in australia (as my husband needs to be there for business purposes around my EDD)

appreciate info on the following
    1) am i allowed to go to a public hospital or must i only go private?

2) what's the average cost for an elective c-section ( I had an Emerg C-section for my 1st bb)

thanks!! any other info you think i should know pertaining to the above issues would be most welcomed too.!!

You can go to a public hospital but you have to pay. It's costing my SIL $100 for every ante-natal appt. and then the birth (unsure of cost of that. She has a friend whe went back home to give birth cause she couldn't afford to pay).

Could you even obtain private health insurance here? If you are coming on a tourist visa you won't be able to and it will cost more (a lot more) to go private. If you can get health insurance they might not cover you because you already are pregnant (there are waiting periods).

A public hospital might refuse you your elective so you'll need to ring the public hospital in the area you'll be staying to see if you'll be accepted but regardless, there will be a big out of pocket expense so you should find out how much it will cost.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me first ask which country you are from and how pregnant you will be when you arrive?

Most airlines wont let you fly when you are past 32 weeks, and won't let a neonate fly until at least 5 days, though this is dependant on the carrier.

If you are from a country that has reciprocal health care with Australia ie the UK, then I believe that you can have your baby in a public hospital for free. I'm not sure how elective c-sections come into that.

You could have the baby privately, which if the delivery goes to plan and the baby is healthy then you would probably being paying around $5000 (last time I checked 06). If for some reason you end up in ICU or your baby has a heart defect and needs emergency surgery (painting a really grim picture, I am only using this as an example) then you might be looking at an excess of $100,000.

I would think that if you had private health cover from your country it would not cover you in Australia, and if you were to take out International Private Health Cover when you got out here, your pregnancy would not be covered as it is "pre existing".

Hope this is of some help.
    Me DH
    DD: Lauren, born 29th Feb 2008

Thanks
    Reviews
    I doubt it would be considered an elective c-section if its required due to haveing one last time?? Obs would reccommend it surely
    Electric Mumi
    ME - 31
    DS - 4 yrs
    Baby Milla arrived 08 Oct 08..
    Such a sweet delicate little angel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Mumi View Post
    I doubt it would be considered an elective c-section if its required due to haveing one last time?? Obs would reccommend it surely
    It's still called an elective regardless as it's not an emergency. Also, depending on the reason for the emergency last time there possibly isn't a medical reason for a repeat which is why it could be denied in a public hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where are you from? Are you certain that your country has reciprocal rights with Medicare?

If it doesnt, then even if you go public you will have to pay $$$$$. Then you may be better to go private and have the Dr of your choice if you want an elective caesar.

We're not experts in your situation though as we are residents. I would suggest getting in touch with Medicare and ask them about your situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just another thing for you to be aware of, your baby will require a passport before you head home with him/her.
    Me DH
    DD: Lauren, born 29th Feb 2008

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am an Australian returning to Oz to have my baby, so have been doing research related to costs for private obs etc. I've come to an estimated cost for private birth, including OB fees, is around $5000 - $10,000. Depending on hospital, doctor, birth method etc. It's all a bit hard to find info, really! You need to make a lot of phone calls.

I will be arriving from Europe at 35 weeks - most airlines (Singapore is the exception) allow travel up to 36 weeks with a letter from the doctor confirming that it's an uncomplicated, non multiple pregnancy. Just make sure you get some prescription compression stockings (fitted) that come up to your thigh to reduce swelling.

If your husband is working on a project in Australia at this time, you and he should be covered by his employers for medical insurance. I have expat medical insurance that covers me for treatment in every country in the world. This is the norm for expats.

It also does depend on your visa. Skilled immigrant visa holders are entitled to medicare rebates and public hospital usage as per citizens.

Should your baby run into complications, you may not have to pay for the cost of any hospital work - as, again depending on the visa - usually babies born in Australia are citizens, and thus the baby would be covered by medicare/public hospital.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Mumi View Post
    Having a caesaran is absolutely no reason for having another one, in the majority of cases, so it is absolutely elective.
    DS '04 caesarean DD1 '05 waterbirth DD2 '07 home waterbirth
    DS2 '08 home waterbirth DS3 26.07.10 home waterbirth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpearl View Post
    Having a caesaran is absolutely no reason for having another one, in the majority of cases, so it is absolutely elective.
    That's not why it's called 'elective'. It's called elective if it is planned in advance i.e. not emergency. Even if it is medically essential for whatever physical reason, if it's planned for it is 'elective'. Doesn't necessarily mean it's elected by the mom

To the op - it does all depend on yoru own situation - which country you come from will determine if you can use public care, I doubt you'll be on a permanent residence visa if you're only here briefly but even if you have pvt insurance but it's not international, a lot of non Australian insurance funds do cover you for three months outside your own country so if you're with a private fund already ask them. Also, if you are already with a private fund, even if they won't cover you, there are funds over here that will recognize some overseas funds and not require a waiting period. MBF is one of them so you would need to contact them if that's an option.

I investigated the cost of a self-paying private c-section in Brisbane (also had recently moved here) and the hospital stay alone came to over $6000. Then there was the obstetrician, assistant, anaethetist and paediatrician. So we were looking at around $9000 from memory. Plus meds.

If you decide this is acceptable then contact the hospital now and book in getting all the prices up front and you'll also need to be under the care of a pvt obstetrician for the weeks leading up to it. Not sure if they would charge you the full pregnancy management fee, hopefully not, but you'd need to find that out from them in advance too as that can be between $1000 and $3000 (mine was $1600).

Regardless of any of the above I would definitely also contact Medicare to ask if the baby would then be covered by Medicare at birth by virtue of being born in Australia. My guess would be yes but you wouldn't want to chance that.
    Last edited by liat; 04-07-2008 at 09:44.
    Me 30 DH 37 Ava 1 year