User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Late termination procedure query (approx 18 weeks)

Can anyone please tell me from their experience or perhaps you work in this area..... What is the procedure involved with late termination (approx 18 weeks) in the case of Downs Syndrome or other chromosonal abnormalities?
    Me 33, DH 36

DD 6y, DS 3y, DS 1y

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    as far as I am aware, it depends on how far along you are whether they just induce labour and rely on bubs not surviving on its on, or whether they introduce other material into the uterus before inducing.
    Jane 38 and Luke 42
    (we don't have an emo emoticon) Amelia 15
    Sam 5
    Isabelle Kate 3

23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sam's mum View Post
    it depends on how far along you are
    So if the procedure was done at approx 18 weeks gestation.... what then? And does it make any difference if the only previous birth was by c/section?
    Me 33, DH 36

DD 6y, DS 3y, DS 1y

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi

I just called one of my girlfriends that made the infomed decision to be induced due servere life threatning abnormalities.

She was 20 weeks at the time and told me that they induced her same as with a regular induction and let her labour away untill bubs was born.

She said it was the same as a her other births except for the tragic ending, although she knew bubs wouldnt of survived at 20 week or 40 weeks
    ‎"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummynow View Post
    So if the procedure was done at approx 18 weeks gestation.... what then? And does it make any difference if the only previous birth was by c/section?
    from what i know they will let you labour away rather then C section unless it is dangerous for your self, as they dont need to intervein for the sake of the baby

Ar you 18 weeks now
    ‎"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

My friend was consdiering termination when she was about 22-23 weeks, can't remember now.

They told her she could choose one of two options:
    1. Induce the labour and birth the baby - baby would not be resuscitated if born alive.
    2. She could be put under a general anesthetic and given a kinda D&C. She would be given something to dilate her uterus and they would remove the baby. They said sometimes they need to remove tha baby in a few parts, so they would do that with that method (sorry if that's a bit disturbing).

That was in South Australia though, not sure if they have different requirements or what not.

ETA: She'd had two previous c-sections, they didn't really say anything about it I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenzees mum View Post
    Are you 18 weeks now
    Thanks. No I am not, I am just over 13 weeks. I am just researching towards the possibility. I haven't got my head around it yet and have not talked to anyone except DH yet so don't want to say too much yet. But all going well in the next few weeks then it won't even be necessary. But just in case I wanted to be armed with info and I am finding it hard to find reliable info on hows it's actually done at that late stage.

Quote Originally Posted by phineas View Post
    That was in South Australia though, not sure if they have different requirements or what not.
    I am in South Australia too.
    Me 33, DH 36

DD 6y, DS 3y, DS 1y

Thanks
    Reviews
    I terminated at 16wks & was 'induced' similar to that of a woman overdue this allowed my cervix to dialate overnite & the following day the procedure was finished so to speak by allowing me under sedation to give birth.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummynow View Post
    Thanks. No I am not, I am just over 13 weeks. I am just researching towards the possibility. I haven't got my head around it yet and have not talked to anyone except DH yet so don't want to say too much yet. But all going well in the next few weeks then it won't even be necessary. But just in case I wanted to be armed with info and I am finding it hard to find reliable info on hows it's actually done at that late stage.

I am in South Australia too.
    good luck with your upcomeing tests, you will be in my thoughts, I hope that the tests show no abnormalities

If you want to talk to some one about careing for a child with disabilities, You are more then welsome to PM me

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are a few methods that can be done. If you do end up having to go down this road, it will depend on the clinic so the most reliable info will be given when you actually speak to the doctor there about the procedures they use.

As mentioned above, the can induce/deliver the baby and it may be born alive but being so young it will not be resuscitated.

Otherwise, they abort the fetus in utero and then deliver. You would of course be unconscious for this. I know what they do to perform the termination but don't want to put details up here as they may be considered disturbing. But those are the two main methods of late-term abortion. Again, the most accurate information can probably be obtained from the clinic/doctor.

Good luck
    - Harder - Better - Faster - Stronger -