User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Assistance for twins....

My friend has just had twins and also has a 4 year old and a 3 year old.

Another friend (who I can't get in contact with) told me ages ago that she might be able to get some free (or subsidised) assistance like cleaners/nannies etc through AMBA if she has more children under a certain age.

I've called AMBA but could only leave a message and I haven't heard back yet. There isn't much information on their website.

Can anyone else give me some information in the meantime?

Many thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry can't help much but I did know of someone that had twins and and older sibling and pretty sure she may have got help thru the hospital they were born in or by Child and Youth Health. Maybe try and ring the child and youth health in the town they live?
    Jo
    ------------------------------------------------
    Me 30 DH 34
    DS & DD 27months -my ivf miracles born 27/10/2005

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Help available.

I have 2 sets of twins. When my 2nd set was born my 1st set was only 2yrs 4months. So we had 4 children under 3. It was really tough. I was offered help. I think if I wanted it I had to apply through my clinic nurse or centrelink. I cannot quite remember as I didn't end up applying for it. I was lucky as we have a lot of family close by that always help us out. Plus I didn't like the idea of a stranger in our house interacting with the kids etc. But if I didn't have family support and help I would have taken up the offer.
    I think someone can come out for a couple of hours a week and either mind the kids while you do housework or have a rest/nap. Or they would help with cleaning or ironing etc. I cannot remember much detail but I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if it's just a NSW thing or an Australia-wide thing, but there is some program alled "Homestart" that will probably be able to give her some assistance, even if it's just a visitor for a few hours a week to watch the kids while she catches up on housework or sleep or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

My friends who has just had twins got some help through her hospital and it was from the MBA.

I think it was only for one visit a week for about 7 weeks so not much.

A group of us got together and got her some additional help through an organisation listed on bubhub that go in and will do light cleaning/minding the older children/shopping/meal preparation etc. So maybe if there are a few of you, you could club together and get her something similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I joined a local twins group and all the girls there kept drumming into me the benefits of allocated help thru the Red Cross Association. I was very reluctant at first, as I had my mum and MIL helping at the time, but I met with the volunteer organiser from the Red Cross and was made to feel very comfortable about getting help once a week for up to 5 hrs. The volunteers are placed for up to 8 months.

I did go with it, and in the end have been very happy and in fact, we now employ that volunteer, to help on that particular day every week.

All the volunteers are completely screened, have police clearances and working with children clearances. It is very legitimate and very well worth it.

I paid them a donation too

Hope this helps
    Why do children believe in fairies, but "grown ups" don't?