I am a yr 12 student and currently doing my Personal Interest Project (PIP) for Society and culture. My PIP is about Australia's smallest generation and how parents are over indulging and over parenting their only child. The average age for first time mothers is 30 which means they may have only one whether due to health or economic problems or just the need for one.
I am conducting a research questionnaire and it would be greatly appreciated if you would take time to complete it.
2. Were there any factors determining why you decided to have only one child?- economic, independence, marriage/partner relationship, health, other
3. Do you think your child has missed out on any opportunities, if yes what kind?
4. Do you think by being an only child your child will gain any opportunities?
5. Would you consider yourself a parent who over indulges and spoils your only child?
6. Do you think you:
-will/give your child more freedom?
-Will/spend more money on gifts for your only?
-Will be/are more relaxed and less strict?
7. Do you think there is competition between you and your partner for the affection of your child?
8. How would you respond to these quotes by social researcher Hugh Mackay:
“The falling birthrate means that we are producing a generation of children who will almost certainly be over-parented, over-indulged and over-protected. They are likely to become a highly rebellious generation of teenagers when the time comes to assert their independence from parents who have been trying too hard.”
“As in other Western countries, our falling birthrate is tied to the rising education levels of women: more highly educated females tend to have fewer children"
END________ Thank you so much