User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Talking When can a baby use the jolly jumper?

Hello All,

At the moment i have complete baby brain and so i cannot remember at all when my son started using the jolly jumper. My daughter is 2 months old and is holding her hear up beautifully and just wants to stand up all the time on my lap. So it seems like she is ready for the jolly jumper. But I want to make sure there is nothing i have missed, and wondering at what age do they reccomend starting bubs in the jolly jumper? and are there any particular requirements?

Thanx in advance
    Me - (Madam Monkey)-22 DF - (Cheeky Monkey)-21
    DS - (Spunky Monkey)-born 19th Dec 2005 - 2 YEARS OLD!
    DD - (Stinky Monkey) - Born 23rd October 2007

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Personally I wouldn't put my DS is a jolly jumper (or a walker) on the advice of his physio. Apparently they hold a baby in an unnatural position which can cause lower back problems later in life, make them point their toes when trying to walk and affect (shorten I think) the achillies tendon.

JMHO
    Him (40) Me (43)
    DS (Jun 2007)
    DD (Dec 2010)
    “I have been called arrogant myself in my time, and hope to earn the title again, but to claim that I am privy to the secrets of the universe and its creator—that's beyond my conceit." Christopher Hitchens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Becs999 View Post
    which can cause lower back problems later in life, make them point their toes when trying to walk and affect (shorten I think) the achillies tendon.

JMHO
    But thats only if you leave the bub in the walker for extended periods, surely?
    Amlie Rose born 25th July (5 weeks early)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The physio said if you have one they it should be ok for a few mins at a time but recommended that if you have the money for a JJ or crawler spend it on swimming lessons or books.
    Him (40) Me (43)
    DS (Jun 2007)
    DD (Dec 2010)
    “I have been called arrogant myself in my time, and hope to earn the title again, but to claim that I am privy to the secrets of the universe and its creator—that's beyond my conceit." Christopher Hitchens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you can use them from around 3 months, but my DS didn't really start enjoying it until 4 months.

And yes, I think the issues raised above apply to those parents who leave their babies in the JJ for extended periods. I've heard of parents leaving their children in them for hours on end, thinking they've got a great baby-sitter. But I can't see anything wrong with them being in it for a few minutes here and there.
    Last edited by chicken; 04-01-2008 at 09:53.
    Me 36
    DH
    DS born Aug 07
    DD born March 09

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can use them when your bubs can hold their head up well by themselves.

My DD used one and she liked it but only lasted about 10-15 minutes in it each time.
    Belinda 36
    Vince DP 36
    Holly Jade March 06
    Brodie Mathew April 08

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Becs999 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't put my DS is a jolly jumper (or a walker) on the advice of his physio. Apparently they hold a baby in an unnatural position which can cause lower back problems later in life, make them point their toes when trying to walk and affect (shorten I think) the achillies tendon.

JMHO
    I agree

Pinkishbunny 30
    2 boy's - 6 & 4
    Content, Happy, Two's Enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was in her jolly jumper by 3.5mths. She had very strong head control and could bare her own weight on her legs. She usually lasts 15-30mins before she's had enough. I personally dont see anything wrong with them - gives them something different to do than being carried around, stuck on a mat on the floor or sitting in a pram - JMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've seen very few 2 month old who have good enough head control to be in a JJ.

That said - I wouldn't use one for the reasons said above. The spine is bearing more weight than it should for the developmental stage, it encourages 'toe walking' and shortened achilles. Most kids will be fine esp for short periods - but if they are prone to toe walking etc it could exacerbate the problem. Basically it's not a natural progression of development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I'm waiting until bubs can sit up on his own before I put him in JJ.

2 months seems to young. DS had really good head control since birth but I still would wait.
    Getting married 2013
    J & C
    Heath
    - 5 years old