User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies...

Frangi - we do have a worm farm AND a compost.. my poor wormies have been a bit neglected lately - but on my 'to do' list for the next week is to revamp their home. We have a can 'o worms too - DH managed to smash one of the tiers ages and ages ago, so I have just today ordered a replacement one from bunnings. Despite being somewhat neglected and surviving on a diet of coffee grounds, banana skins and vacuum cleaner bag dust - they have continued to supply me with great worm tea which my garden LOVES! What concentration do you dilute it down to? We do 1:10 (tea:water) but I find sometimes in this heat I need to dilute it a little more and reapply more frequently otherwise the plants struggle a little bit!

Becbabe - It was a struggle to get my DH to use any reclaimed materials as he is a bit of a 'neat freak' too... My next plot is to get him to agree to use reclaimed bricks for the path around the vegie gardens... Dad has done one around their garden at home and I think it looks beautifully rustic! I am not sure that I will win on that one though... Wish me luck!

We've been having a hard time with citrus leaf scale and aphids (SO many bl@@dy aphids) at the moment. I try to avoid spraying at all costs, but found some eco oil made from canola, teatree & eculyptus today so have given that a go - my poor juvenile lemon tree is looking very unhappy at the moment - so hopefully that will help lower the burden a bit!

Do you guys grow all your stuff from seed or buy some seedlings or a mixture?
    Mumma, Daddo & DD (2.5)

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh - and if anyone else is on FB PM me & I'll add you... Easier to post photos of my gardening ventures there!
    Mumma, Daddo & DD (2.5)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lateralus... good luck with your reclaimed material ventures! My sister built the first path in her garden from 1500 antique bricks, which she cleaned herself. A huge acheivement, and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

I try to grow everything from seed. I have a huge passion for seed catalogues, heirloom varieties in particular. However we have quite short summers, so I've almost given up on capsicums, chillis, eggplants and rockmelon from seed, and have bought or been given seedlings. Still trying though... I have one eggplant and one capsicum surviving from seed this year so if they fruit it will be a major triumph!

Gosh the heat and rain combined have made for a mad garden... my pumpkins are going for world domination...

Frangi, what garlic varieties did you get? I'm thinking about mine, though I usually don't plant til April or so.
    Me - (Bec) 30 DP - 34
    Gorgeous Ella 29/9/06 and little mischief Rachael 30/12/08

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies!
    Sorry I have been absent for awhile, my DS was just diagnosed with autism so I have a mountain of research to do and I guess there goes my veggie reading...
    The heat has been crazy and we were away for the week end so I thought I'd come home to a mass of dead plants but due to good mulching I have only lost a few snow peas and some lettuce :-)
    Bec-my pumpkin has gone crazy too, how long do the vines grow? I can't remember which garlic I got and it hasn't arrived yet, I wish diggers posted faster than they do. I'm not very patient!
    We were just on a farm and were able to collect fresh eggs from the chickens everyday! I would love to get some hens.
    Lat- I will get around to pm u about your fb page, would love to read more about your garden!
    Me: 35
    DH:36
    Much Loved DS Callum: 26th March 2007
    Much Loved DS Cooper: 8th September 2009

Thanks
    Reviews
    Frangi, , I know diagnosis can be a time of relief and/or mourning and a whole lotta stuff in between - good luck.

Pumpkin vines can to the best of my knowledge grow to great lengths - I have one vine going 4m+ in three directions! I have pinched the tips of all my vines now. they can stop going for length and start going for fruit

Diggers are slow. I wouldn't be looking for that garlic til April... also they have times for posting certain stuff on their website that they don't mention in their catalogue - they drive me mad but I just love the catalogues too much to cancel my membership!

Good work with the mulching. It's amazing what a difference it makes.

I've got a pile of brassicas in my seed raiser nearly ready to be planted out - my job for the weekend, I think. Cabbage, broccoli, wong bok, asian vitamin green, cauli to name a few, plus a few salad greens kinda stuff too. That self watering seed raiser is amazing... things grow so fast in it!

anyone got tips for growing passionfruit? Mine just doesn't look happy!
    Me - (Bec) 30 DP - 34
    Gorgeous Ella 29/9/06 and little mischief Rachael 30/12/08

Thanks
    Reviews
    For Organic Gardeners in the Brisbane Area...Annette McFarlane is appearing at an Event at Bunnings Oxley on Thursday 24th November.

She will be giving a talk of about 20 minutes, but will also be hanging around afterwards to answer questions.

If you want to go, call Bunnings Oxley on 37169000 and ask to be booked into "Ladies Night"

You also get free dinner and samples and other stuff.

It's a pretty good night. All the Bunnings have them at different times. I went to one last week that had Jayson Hodges from Better Homes and Gardens!

It starts at 6pm and goes for a couple of hours.
    Seamstress; Costumierre; Children's Entertainer; Face Painter...I have two girls aged 12 and 10; I have been married 12 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppoHippy View Post
    Hello Ladies,
    Long time, no speak
    Obviously I haven't been on here for a reason... I have started a FB page and blog
    Much more of a community over there

You can find some likeminded mumma's by looking for us on FB... the page is "EarthAngelMumma".
    No doubt I'll get in trouble for posting this here, but considering I don't use bubhub anymore, I'm not really bothered.
    Would love to see some of you guys over there. It's basically the same kinda line as this thread (organic living) but with more people and more ways to discuss it all
    PoppoHippy - I found your blog and am enjoying reading it. I cant find your facebook page though. Is it still going? I tried to start a facebook page about environmentally friendly gardening a while ago since I have loads of friends who have awesome permaculture gardens, but I couldnt get any of them to write much - guess they were too busy in their gardens
    Me DH DD1 DD2 and now DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, I havent been all the way back through this thread, but is anybody in Adelaide? Would love to chat about choice of plants. We are trying to go local native as much as possible (apart from veggies really)
    Me DH DD1 DD2 and now DS