User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Cool lawn mowing etiquette

do you have your own set of rules for lawn mowing?
    whats the earliest time to start?
    latest time to finish?
    do you mow part of your neighbours yard.eg where your yards join..?
    or does that annoy you if your neighbour mows some of your yard?

how about grass clippings....
    is it rude not to use a grass catcher?
    mother of 5

there are a few ways to do anything, but my way is always right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think the council rules here are 7am-7pm except Sunday where it's 8am to 6pm..

BUT, we never start our lawn mowing until at least 9am (unless the chick behind us plays her music at all hours the night before, then it's dead on 7am )

If we mow in the afternoon, always finished by 4pm.

Doesn't annoy me if my neighbour mows part of my lawn, he can mow as much as he likes

We have a grass catcher on our mower, I hate grass clippings on my feet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah its 7am to 7pm on the Gold Coast, but I hate Saturday mornings when the neighbours crank up there mower.. its like they want everyone to know they are up and all motivated at that horrid hour of the day.. I mean...please....

Ours gets done 9ish or after 3pm when its not so hot, oh and yes always a grass catcher and no, dont get mad if my Neighbour mows over our side but do get mad when hubby doesn't return the favour...shesh...men hey
    Mummy Daddy
    and
    The Boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    do you have your own set of rules for lawn mowing? DP does it and the lines have to be straight and going in a certain direction

whats the earliest time to start? 9am

latest time to finish? umm....dont really know, DP will either do it when he wakes up on a sunday or when he gets home from work, thats about 3 - 3:30pm. it only takes 30min to do...so i guess the latest time is around 3:30 - 4pm

do you mow part of your neighbours yard.eg where your yards join..? our yards dont meet really, only the little part on the other side of the foot path (we are on a bit of a hill and we all have retaining walls from one block to another, if that makes scence) we will mow the little part so it all blends in

or does that annoy you if your neighbour mows some of your yard? nope, as i said its only the tiny council strip anyway

how about grass clippings....
    is it rude not to use a grass catcher? depends on where you are, ie: mum and dads house 3.5 acres with neighbours the same then nah its ok. in an area like mine (estate or houses close by) then i would say yes.
    i think it is rude because if you have weeds you will increes the chance of spreading them to your neighbours yard.
    we laid tuff down about 4 months ago and one of our neighbours had no grass, they just have weeds, and they mow with out their catcher and we are forever picking weeds out of our new garden and grass.....a little consideration is all that is needed
    plus it does not look as tidy and DP has to have it PERFECT
    Text speak is an abomination and a scourge on the English language - Loretta West

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thare's no way Damien would get out of bed before 8am on a weekend, so I'll say not before 8am and not after 7ish. I know there's specific rules on times, but I'm not sure what they are in my area. We have a family with a baby next door, so we're always concious of that.
    Damien just mows to our border. If next door wants to mow part of ours, then go for it!
    We have a catcher on our mower. Damien dumps it all down in a hidden back corner. When there's a green waste collection, we then put it out to be taken to the tip.
    I don't think it's rude to not use a catcher.
    Me
    DH
    DS1 - 6
    DS2 - 4.5

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP mows mid morning normally. He doesn't do any of the neighbours (and vice versa) and we also don't use a catcher.

missie_mack, our 3 neighbours opposite are like that. Perfect pristine lawns and gardens they water lots. We are happy living with our slightly unruly yard with dead patches of grass and piles of weeds - its too insane to keep up with in summer
    BMid student - year 2
    + monkey (4) and princess poo (1)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post

My neighbour mows his lawn every 3 days and he always mows my grass strip in the middle of my driveway as a way of making me mow the rest of the lawn sooner.. cause it makes the rest look untidy. It annoys me because no way on gods earth will I be mowing the lawn twice a week in summer I mow every week or every other week and that is enough IMO Life is for living and all that
    We had a neighbour like that in our old Suburb... and then wondered why his lawn wasn't as green as ours... he decided one day that he would mow our front lawn to "Even it up" with his and scalped it to dirt... we were furious as we just spent $$$ on fertilisers to keep it going through the drought

He never touched my lawn again after I had quiet chat to him There was no reason for him to do it as we mowed it ourselves the day before and then put the fertilisers on it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually only mow in the afternoon after about 4 when it has cooled down.
    I don't mow any of our neighbours yard but he will do the patch next to our drive way on his side, which is fine, doesn't worry me at all.
    We use a catcher because I use the clippings as mulch on our garden.

Me 32 Him 34
    DS1 6.5, DS2 4.5, DS3 2.5
    Don't walk where the path may lead you, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We always wondered about the etiquette with mowing our neighbours yard. They have a huge backyard so have a ride-on-mower for that but they cant get it up to the front yard (sloping properties) so he just uses a whipper snipper for the whole front yard grass and either leaves all the clippings or very rarely rakes them up.

We feel sorry for him having to do this and it only takes another minute to do the top part of his front lawn which is street level. We've offered to lend him our mower but he hasnt taken us up on it. We are worried though if we do it for him whenever we do ours he will think we are trying to hint to him that we dont think he's doing it enough or doing it properly.

Who knew such a simple thing could become so complicated??
    Me, DH, DS1 (April '06), DS2 (Feb '08), DS3 born sleeping (20/5/10 at 23wks) and DS4 (Oct '11, 33wks and 1205gms)

- forever grateful for my beautiful family
    - forever missing our little boy