User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default tummy tucks, can medicare cover them?

hi i dont know if people telling me stories but i have heared through a few diff people that in some cases medicare was covering tummy tucks and breast lifts in some cases after having had a pregnancy.

i have bad stretch marks, they effect my self esteem, make me depressed honestly bother my everyday life. and i am also single so it makes me feel very insecure about meeting someone.

i was wondering if anyone knows anything about this? or how it works.
    Mummy 24 Daddy 28 DS1(5) DS2(3)
    Baby Ryan born 29/01/2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi im just wondering if there is anyone else online at the moment who wasnt online the other night when i posted this thread who knows anything about this topic. thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=2540

Fees will vary widely according to the length and complexity of the operation but can range from $3000 to $5000. Additional fees are included for the hospital and the anaesthetist.

Because this operation is technically performed for medical reasons, it is possible to obtain a rebate through Medicare, usually between $600 to $800 depending on whether the operation has taken place in a hospital or not. If you are a member of a private health insurance company, your hospital fees may also be covered.
    http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=2540

Good luck

ETA: You can find some useful info at www.drtavakoli.com.au/cosmetic-body/abdominoplasty-sydney.php

From the info I have read in the last 15 minutes, it seems that it depends on your surgeon whether you are entitled to a medicare rebate or not (cosmetic surgery vs reconstructive surgery).
    Last edited by bubbles & peanut; 29-11-2007 at 21:36.
    Me + He =
    Miss M, The Crazy One ~ 7
    Master J, The Cuddly One ~ 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard something about this from my sister in law. She is really obese and has had problems with her large breasts and she mentioned to me that medicare would cover the cost or some of the costs involved in getting a reduction. I think that it has to be an extreme case though, like when people are left with excess skin after dramatic weight loss, that causes them discomfort and infections. I don't think that they would cover any of the costs in cases other than extreme ones.
    You could imagine all of the women that have had babies lining up

I do understand how you feel. It's hard to come to terms with the changes that happen to your body after having a baby, especially when you are so young.
    I've had 4 babies now and i can tell you that after the first two i was devastated by the sight of all of the stretch marks! You expect that you'll get them on your belly, but then they pop up on your hips and boobs and it is quite a shock.
    I'm glad to say that my stretch marks have faded now and i am finally happy with my body. I actually don't mind the stretch marks.
    Please don't be insecure about meeting someone. I'm sure that when the day comes they will understand, after all you have had a baby. And if they don't then obviously thats not the sort of person that you would want to share your life with.

Try to focus on all of the beautiful things about your body rather than the stretch marks, they will fade in time.

Me-26 DH-29 = DS-9 DD-7 DS-5 DS-2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I have loked into this seriouisly I live in Perth I have even had a consult with a plastic surgeon $12000 to do aminor tummy tuck and some lipo, as I have bad stretch marks which surgery will not fix by the way , but also have jelly belly and saggy skin, medicare will only cover a protion if you ahve the surgery for medical reasons, some women have problems due to excess skin etc causing infections ect but they will not cover any of it if it si for cosmetic reasons even my private doesnt cover it, so unless you ahve health issues due to it and they do not consider depression as a health issue you will have to pay it all yourself and it is about $10000 just for a tummy tuck that includes everything. Hope this helps
    Kelly
    ME 36
    TYLA ANN RENTON BORN 5TH JANUARY 2006
    Welcome to the family Candy, our eclectus parrot
    BORN 6TH JUNE 2009

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I got my implants/ lift I received a tax rebate of $1500. (it's through Medicare I think)
    Mummy 30, Daddy 28
    DS 5 DD 3

punkbaby is offline Got it back :D
    Winner 2007 –The most helpful member award & The member
    you’d most like to meet in real life award & The newbie of the year award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i have heard you can if its affecting your health but you will still have your stretchmarks, they wont go away. I think it has to be affecting your health medically though not psychologically i will suss out what my freind did as she had a reduction a few months back
    DD10
    DS5
    DD3,
    baby dd 10 months my little boobie monster cloth bum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please look into this very carefully and do all your research as it is major surgery - I know this is affecting your self-esteem and it's important to feel good about yourself, however I have a cousin that had a tummy tuck that went terribly wrong (won't go into details) but spent quite a while in hospital with complications.

I know this doesn't happen to everyone that has tucks, but you should be well-informed on both sides of the coin.

Wishing you all the best for whatever you decide
    Me - 39 DH - 40
    DD - 4
    DD - 20 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey girls thanks for your replys. if this is the case i would never be able to afford to have a tummy tuck

a few of you said that i would still have stretch marks? which isnt true cos i watch all them cosmetic surgery shows and beacause mine are no higher then belly button, when they do the tummy tuck and cut and pull down the skin most of them wouldnt be there anymore.

im still going to talk to my doctor about this, as it is a serious problem for me, i dont think health issues should only be classed as pysichal as only i know how i feel about my body. and i have suffered from depression for years and this just puts the icing on the cake!!!

my friends mum is the one who had encouraged me alot, she said that the noarlunga hospital through her plastic surgeon still does tummy tucks and medicare pays for them. as she was going to have one (for free) and she had a breast reduction and lift covered by medicare also.

i know there would be a huge line of ladies if they did offer something like this.. i just think that maybe there should be more funds available. cos after having a baby ur body changes so much. and it really does affect ur life (well mine anyway)

my best friend had a baby the same time as me.. and her body is perfect shes a gorgeous size 10 not one stretch mark on her bodyand flat tummy no excess skin or loose skin.

i wasnt a big girl when i got pregnant, and i only put on about 8kg in my pregnancy. so sometimes i sit there and think why me?

its hard to look in the mirror and hate the person you see.

i hate that ive been in the shopps sometimes and reached up to get something and quickly freak out and pull ur top down cos u think someone seen ur sretch mark belly. i cant even wear white tops! ever

sorry for whinging

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think you will ever get one for free through medicare. And to be honest if there is a doctor(s) out there doing them for free I would be suspicious about that. You have to have a very very good reason to get any help from medicare when it comes to elective plastic surgery. Unfortunately not being able to wear cute clothes or get a boyfriend may not be enough.(and trust me there are plenty of guys of all ages who dont care about stretch marks or wobbly bellies) Im not even sure being depressed is enough as they may want to evaluate you with a psych and decide you want it done for the wrong reasons.
    I think if it means that much to you try to save up as much as you can for it. Medicare may put in a little bit towards it but dont count on it, have a backup plan.
    And I would get private health insurance, I think they will cover your hospital stay but not the actual surgery(no health insurance covers cosmetic surgery at all)
    good luck