User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Panadol vs Nurofen

Hello There!!

I was wondering what people prefered Panadol or Nurofen. I would not consider myself a big user of either, in fact the bottle reaches the expiry date before it gets used.

I have used both and in the rare instance of tonsillitis I have used them together.

I was told by one doctor to save the Nurofen for when things are really bad, but another doctor asked me why I was bothering with the Panadol.

My poor sad boy is cutting all four of his back teeth at once and I have noticed that Nurofen is far more effective than Panadol, but I worry about using Nurofen more than I do with the Panadol.

What do you reckon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Exclamation Allergy to Nurofen

Hi
    I actually have an allergy to Nurofen and it took me a while to realise that it was the problem (as I'm not allergic to ANYTHING else). I started taking it because it is supposed to be quite good for reducing pain and swelling with blocked milk ducts. After taking it for a few days I had stomach cramps and a HORRIBLE red itchy rash over my legs. Now the cramps didn't last long, but the rash lasted for MONTHS and I just wish that I has realised earlier that it was the cause.

I'm cautious about giving nurofen to my girls because of my reaction - so we're just sticking with panadol at the moment. I'll probably try it on them sometime - but I'm in no rush.

Cheers

xkwzit
    FORUM MODERATOR

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Both are good

Hi
    We have used both - we tend to use Nurofen more as I like the syringe for dosing them, and my daughter likes the taste.

Two things to be aware of though - some children do have an allergic reaction to Nurofen - eyes swelling, lips swelling etc, and it can come on after using it for some time (happened to a friend's son and the doctor said it was common).

The other thing that no one told me until we were at emergency one night with a 40 degree fever in a one year old that wasn't responding to panadol, is that it is okay to "piggyback" panadol and nurofen - i.e. to give them both if your baby isn't responding to one - it isn't overdosing as it would be if you gave a double dose of one of them as they act in different ways. This was then confirmed by my GP and my sister who is a doctor, and we have found it useful for extreme fevers with things like ear infections etc. So we keep both in the fridge and use them very rarely.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I use both

I too have been told to "piggy-back" Panadol and Nurofen. I have also been told by three separate health proffesionals (two doctors and one nurse) that for a high fever you can actually give a double dose of panadol initially.

Nurofen is excellent when bub has toothache and especially a sore throat. Apparently nurofen helps coat and soothe the throat. Panadol (or Dymadon which is the brand I use) seems to be more effective on fevers.

So I recommend keeping a bottle of both handy also.

Tracey
    Mum to Alec (Lalla) 18 months and bub due May 3rd