User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When does babies learn to breathe through their mouths?

Wondering if someone could give me a rough guide or estimate on when babies learn to breathe through their mouths (as well as their noses).

Our poor little one gets a blocked nose and can struggle to breathe sometimes, despite our best endeavours to help! So I'm just interested in hearing when he'll be able to go to plan B and breathe through the mouth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!!....

My little man started around 3-5 months.... I think?!... Last time i was at the paeds (for relfux) he explained to me around this time (give or take) bub's can start to fuss at the breast or bottle cause they start to loose the ability to breath and swallow at the same time they are use to and have to learn to suck, breath, suck, breath.... This is usually the sign that they are starting to breath through their mouth...

If bub's nose is blocked try some saline drops or some vicks baby balsam... This worked wonders for me...

Hope this hepls...
    "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Around 4 months i noticed my Ds could breathe through his mouth, the old mouth wide open catching flies when asleep it gave it away..

But that is just when i noticed, so could have been earlier?

I highly recommend saline drops, i use the Nyal ones, which come with an Aspirator (basically a soft nozzle to suck out the snot after you let the drops sit for a min or two, turns the snot to liquid/softens it for easy removal)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was wondering the same thing!

ps - a vapouriser works wonders too