User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default white sage/smudge sticks how do they work?

hi, i've been thinking.
    someone posted a while ago saying white sage (burning incense or spraying it in a bottle) will clear a room/house of spirits.

i was just wondering.
    what is it about white sage that does that?
    i mean, do ghosts find the scent offputting, does it do something to their vibrational energy field?
    for that matter what do smudge sticks do that make them 'cleanse' a room.
    and while i'm on the topic, how is it that crystals can have an affect on you?
    do they emit something?
    is it like sitting in front of a microwave?
    how does it actually work.

cheers in advance.
    Ella Grace 02.02.05
    Lola Sienna Belle 03.10.06
    Cuba Sasha 29.01.09

Save the last dance for me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    i've never actually heard that before, but i used to burn White sage insence and it always made me feel calm and peaceful, so maybe there is some truth in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess that means no-one knows how they work?
    Ella Grace 02.02.05
    Cuba Sasha 29.01.09

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is a bit of a late response, but some say that the smoke from a white sage smudge stick collects negative energy from your room/self/whatever and carries it out the windows/doors and out of your life.

I smudged my house with sage about 2 yrs ago after a huge spring clean of both my home and life. It smells just like pot and creates a lot of smoke that seems to carry, so if you do ever smudge, be mindful that the neighbours might think you have taken up a new "herbal" hobby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by leomeo View Post
    I know this is a bit of a late response, but some say that the smoke from a white sage smudge stick collects negative energy from your room/self/whatever and carries it out the windows/doors and out of your life.

I smudged my house with sage about 2 yrs ago after a huge spring clean of both my home and life. It smells just like pot and creates a lot of smoke that seems to carry, so if you do ever smudge, be mindful that the neighbours might think you have taken up a new "herbal" hobby.

cheers thanks for the reply!
    Ella Grace 02.02.05
    Cuba Sasha 29.01.09

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leomeo View Post

You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance. Lee Iacocca

Thanks
    Reviews

smudge sticks are like a lot of other First Nations North American sacred traditions, they've been somewhat misrepresented.

Sage is one of the four most important herbs for those peoples (which includes the Canadian First Nations down to about New Mexico -- Pueblo and Navaho country)

sage belongs to Creator (Great Spirit, God, various monikers). burning sage is both prayer and purification, which is why it can lift bad vibes, but it should be offered in a prayerful manner. it should be offered to the four directions (earth, air, wind, fire) by turning to the four compass directions, then to below (mother earth) and above (Creator) before lighting it. ideally, a feather from an appropriate bird (eagle, duck, hawk, owl for example, something you yourself have found or been gifted with -- not chicken, peacock or a feather bought from a craft shop) should be used to waft the smoke around <to honour air>, a sea shell or river shell used as the ash tray and resting place <this honours water>, the herb/smudge honours earth and lighting it honours fire. light it while saying some kind of prayer of thanks to creator.

for a personal smudging remove all jewellery except things like wedding ring etc and start at the crown, work downwards to feet, then up again.

there is quite a lot of controversy amongst First Nations people in North America over non-natives adopting the smudge ceremony. The Lakota Sioux have been divided over it, with some issuing a declaration of war against those who use this ceremony for personal gain (weekend shaman workshops for example). google will throw up some interesting yarns if you put "plastic shaman" in.

Australian Indigenous culture does also have its own smoking traditions which it may be more suitable to learn about from local Elders. each area has its own way and its own specific type of leaves and herbs which are used and it is good to get it right, makes for happier spirits IMO.

BTW I have ancestry with both mobs and that's how I got taught about it. smudging is very powerful and will clear a lot of things if done in the right spirit of intent with a smudge that comes either home made or from a reputable supplier.
    My Golden rule: Play nice, and leave things better than ya found 'em
    blessed to be Mumma to Bear

All I want for Christmas is a Divorce - ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats really interesting zookeeper.
    When I started healing work a few years ago I had a spirit guide join me who was a Sioux Indian. He gave me a black feather. He said we had worked together in a previous life. Initially I was concerened the feather was black (just a bit supersticious) but he assured me black feathers were not negative and that it represented strenght and wisdom.

Anyway totally offtopic but I was interested to read your post.
    Ella Grace 02.02.05
    Cuba Sasha 29.01.09

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, that's really special that feather business -- my guess would be it is turkey, who is sacred because turkey gives life away to feed humans. black is the colour of the west, water, the womb, rebirth, dreams, emotion, intuition, all that, nothing negative about it
    My Golden rule: Play nice, and leave things better than ya found 'em
    blessed to be Mumma to Bear

All I want for Christmas is a Divorce - ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ZooKeeper View Post
    Hi there, that's really special that feather business -- my guess would be it is turkey, who is sacred because turkey gives life away to feed humans. black is the colour of the west, water, the womb, rebirth, dreams, emotion, intuition, all that, nothing negative about it
    That's interesting.
    I was pregnant with Lola at the time.
    Thanks for all your info.
    Have really enjoyed reading it.
    Ella Grace 02.02.05
    Cuba Sasha 29.01.09