Whats Hot Mama
Whats NOT hot? The Shire
Before I even start, let me declare LOUDLY that I did NOT watch The Shire, that I have no intention of ever watching The Shire and that I know that by even writing about The Shire I am, sadly, promoting it to some extent.
Having said that, these are the reasons I will never watch the show:
- I have a life, a busy life, and I will never be able to get those precious minutes back
- I am sure that somewhere there must be a scientific study that has proven that for every minute of crap watched on TV you lose hours from your life and run the significant risk of lowering your IQ
- I have seen the Ads and they were embarrassing enough to have me turn the TV off, god knows what the show would do to me
- I have seen the Ads and intially thought I was being assaulted by yet another gaudy American semi - reality show ... until I heard the accents
- I have seen the Ads and was shocked to realise that there are actually people like that living in Australia
No doubt I will be tempted. There could be nights when I feel a compelling need for voyeuristic edification - you know after you have had a day where you feel a little sloppy, there might be a desire to turn The Shire on to make yourself feel better? But I will stand firm - I will stay strong and fight it. No doubt I will end up smarter for it.
Kate Christie is Whats' Hot Mama. She also owns Babysitters and More, an online service putting busy people in touch with local home helpers.