Lose Baby Weight
Squash stuffed with creamy leeks - the low fat way!
Making a vegetarian dish doesn't have to be boring and there are lots of ways to jazz up dishes to make sure the whole family can enjoy them - plus which are good if you are trying to watch your weight. Here's an easy and tasty recipe for stuffed squash with creamy leeks.
Squash Stuffed with Creamy Leeks
- 6 baby squash
- 1 tbsp. low fat butter
- Cooking spray
- 4 large leeks
- 150g low fat cottage cheese
- 150g low fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 150g low fat crème fraiche
- 2 tsp. grainy mustard
Recipe serves 12. Calories per serving: 175. Fat per serving: 6.9g.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Carefully slice the tops off the squashes, as well as the bottoms if they’re not standing up straight. Use a spoon to remove all the seeds and stringy bits.
- Remove the dark green part from the leeks. Slice them in half lengthways, then in half again, then hold the strands together and finely dice.
- Heat butter and cooking spray together in a large frying pan. Add the leeks. Fry gently for 10-15 minutes until softened but not golden. Season to taste.
- Whiz cottage cheese in a blender until smooth. Add to the leeks along with the cheddar cheese, crème fraiche and mustard. Stir to combine, then divide between the squashes. Put the top of the squashes back on.
- Bake for 1 1 ½ hours until the squash flesh is tender and soft.
This article was written by Rhian Allen, Founder of Lose Baby Weight. For more motivation, advice, recipes and exercise plans visit http://www.losebabyweight.com.au and for daily motivation join the Lose Baby Weight Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/losebabyweight.com.au