PDA

View Full Version : Stretch and Sweep?? ..... just a quick Q plz

dannii
06-12-2005, 09:56
Hi, i just have a quick question..

Has anyone had a stretch and sweep?, does it help move things along? does it hurt? does it really work??

I am over due but i don't want to be induced and i my doc is going to give me a stretch and sweep (i hope thats what its called!?) in 2 days to help get things moving ..

id love to hear what everyones experiences are with these.

Sarie
06-12-2005, 09:59
I think they did the stretch thing, but I had gel as well (not sure if this is what you mean or not sorry :confused: ), contractions started straight away and I delivered within 8 hours. Seeing as they did both though I can't besure as to which worked quicker...
Sorry

SugarBlossom
06-12-2005, 10:12
I had the strech and sweep...one word...OWWW!
Really really hurt, bought on painful cons....but thats it, was induced a week later

dannii
06-12-2005, 10:21
JazzPete_n_Codie bugger, just what i thought! :rolleyes:

and Sarie : they not going to give me the gel with it (i dont think) just said something about stretch and sweep :confused:

Manxie
06-12-2005, 10:22
Hi

I had a sweep and it didnt hurt, just a bit uncomfortable like a smear test.

I was the same as you, was overdue and didnt want to be induced. (Despite the hospital putting a lot of pressure on me). My mum and sister both went over by 10 days with their first and it was likely that I would do the same. I tried all the usual suspects, rasberry leaf tea, currys, sex, walking, pinapple (not necessarily in that order!!).

The hospital suggested accupuncture. I had a session when I was 9 days over and the contractions started within hours. Not sure if things were brewing anyway but I'm convinced that the accupuncture helped me to have nice strong efficient (not too painful contractions). I was 8cm dilated when I went to hospital!

Good luck, hope bubs comes soon :D

dannii
06-12-2005, 10:25
Manxie:
well my midwife said it hurts! but like yourself some have said it was just abit uncomfortable!
thats why i thought i would get as many opinions on bubhub.

my hospital are pretty pushy with the whole induction thing! im hoping to get things moving myself.

SugarBlossom
06-12-2005, 10:42
If I could do it all over again, I would let things happen in their own time, your body and your baby knows whats best.
Good luck...how exciting for you!!
((( Hugs ))) ;)
Jazz

Sarie
06-12-2005, 10:44
I was in to be induced already I was 2cm, so I think she did it to try and help things along.
It's not pleasant, though I don't think anything is at that time when everything is quite tender!!
Good luck, I hope things happen for you before you need to worry!!

cobysmummy
06-12-2005, 14:50
yeh i got one too... PAINFUL... i hated it...
i went into labour about 30 hours later and had Coby after 26 hours of a hellpainful posterior labour!!
hope it goes better for you!

JanetF
06-12-2005, 15:05
I don't see a need for it unless you or the baby are in danger. The theory is that pulling the sac away from the wall of the uterus floods you with some of the various chemicals involved in labour. The downsides are that it's often painful, the person doing it can "accidentally" (or on purpose without asking you...) rupture your membranes which will make them tell you that you're now stuck in the hospy and must dilate to their timetable. These kinds of interventions only lead to more interventions. Remember that postdates doesn't begin until 42 weeks. Term is 38-42 weeks. About 70-80% of babies are born between 41-42 weeks and less than 5% come on that mythical all-important "ESTIMATED due date" So unless there are clear indications that your baby is suffering, why bother? And just because they like induction, doesn't mean you have to say yes. We know it leads to more interventions and to caesarean and instrumental births while just allowing babies to cook until they're ready (it's the baby's brain which starts labour after all) means your baby is genuinely ready to be born and very unlikely to suffer from any prematurity. Induction is the greatest cause of prematurity in Australia. If I were in your position I'd ask for a u/s at 42 weeks (from conception, not from LMP which means they're counting weeks when you weren't even pg!) and then just go home and let my baby cook.

Try these to see why your gut is telling you the right thing! I hope you have a beautiful birth :)

World Health Organisation’s document “Care in Normal Birth: a practical guide”
http://www.who.int/reproductive-health/publications/MSM_96_24/care_in_normal_birth_practical_guide.pdf

Suspect Diagnoses Come with Biophysical Profiling
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/biophysical.asp

Elective induction of labour.
http://www.hencigoer.com/articles/elective_induction/

This is stuff on postdates.

Post dates info

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...0&dopt=Abstract

Midwifery. 1991 Mar;7(1):31-9. Related Articles, Links

A contemporary view of the human placenta.

Fox H.

Our current knowledge of the human placenta is briefly reviewed. Particular stress is placed upon the considerable functional reserve capacity of the placenta, the unimportance of most visible abnormalities of the placenta, the lack of any evidence that the placenta ages during gestation and the lack of significance of placental weight. The effects on the placenta of infection and of maternal cigarette smoking are considered and the concept of placental insufficiency critically discussed. It is concluded that most cases of 'placental insufficiency' are, in reality, examples of maternal vascular insufficiency resulting from inadequate placentation during the early stages of pregnancy.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/timely.asp

A Timely Birth
by Gail Hart

http://www.birthlove.com/free/ten_month_mama.html

Birthlove’s 10 month mama page – extensive references.

Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities

A link to a sample chapter.
Enjoy!

http://www.hencigoer.com/obmyth/index.html#obthink

Jamily
06-12-2005, 15:37
i had two s and s's. The first didn't do anything but I think the second got things going. I started labour about 12 hours after. It was pretty uncomfy but not unbearable.

good luck :)

Baby Girl
06-12-2005, 18:41
I had a S&S with DD1 when I was 4 days past my EDD. It was uncomfortable and a little bit painful. My midwife explained to me that they try to "entice" the neck of the uterus forward into a more birth friendly position and this helps to get your body moving towards labour. I had it done on Monday afternoon, went out to dinner and a friends b'day party and then home for sex and started having contractions about 2 hours later. Bub was born 47.5 hours later on Thursday morning!! I think the key to it all was actually me relaxing and not thinking about going into labour for 12 hours!!

Jamily
06-12-2005, 19:17
oh yea - I forgot to say about sex - the doc said that it would really help after the s and s. I was 10 days over by the second attempt and 2cm dilated, so perhaps I would have gone anyway? :)

Manxie
07-12-2005, 08:11
Hi Dannii

Honest it didnt hurt me - do think I've got a high pain threshold though :D - got to 8cm at home just with panadol!!

Its horrible the pressure they put on you to be induced and I felt very stressed not knowing if I was doing the right thing or not. I do agree with other posts that if possible its best to hang on in there but I would get the baby regularly monitored if at all concerned. Also Janets advice is great and I would definately ask for an ultrasound if I was in the position again.

I couldnt believe that the registrar at the hospital said I was putting the baby at risk by not being induced, despite having just confirmed that the baby was perfectly happy after half an hours monitoring!! I think I was definately an inconvenience for them and that they would much have preferred to be able to schedule my delivery to suit them!!

Having said all this I ended up with an emergency c/section so there are no guarantees but at least bubs was cooked and ready!

Good luck :D , please pm if you need any support to get you through the next few days

jaydensmum
07-12-2005, 14:40
I had a stretch and sweep with Jayden 1 wk before he was born. It unfortunately didnt do anything except make me lose my mucous plug. I was already 2cm dilated before she did the procedure and it didnt make me dilate any more. I was induced 1 wk from that day. By the way it didnt hurt its just a bit uncomfortable. It actually feels like a pap smear.

jaydensmum

mummycloud
07-12-2005, 23:21
I had one with my second child on my EDD without warning. He hurt so much I felt my face go red a burn up. I went into labour 4 hours later.

With my third child I had it done at 39 weeks and it didn't hurt much at all and didn't work at all either.

With my 4th i had it done at 39 weeks and it didn't hurt much ir do anything either.
I'm convinved, if it's going to work properly, it has to hurt like a son of a b!tch

Kylie33
08-12-2005, 12:51
I was a week OD with my first DS. What worked with me was sex. My waters broke 2 hours afterwards. Could have been the sex that did it - or maybe it was all the laughing that was involved in trying to have sex when I looked like a beached whale :)
My DH also told me that he had been sneaking chilli or curry into all my food (I hate the stuff!) for weeks, so that obviously didn't help.

mummyto3
08-12-2005, 22:42
I had a S&S with DS,and after being told that my cervix was rock hard and bubs head was really high,my waters broke and i was 2 cm dialated 19 hrs later.

With DD#2 i had a S&S at my 37 wk appt,5 days later my waters broke,so i dont think it had anything to do with the S&S at all that time.

scorpionbabe
19-11-2007, 21:53
hi there, im 2 days over due now, and im having a sweep done tomorrow, id never heard of it untill my doctor told me last week.

i was induced with my second baby, and i dont want to have it again, so i hope the sweep will work.

my 1st and 3rd were natural births, but i was over due with all of them.

Harlequin
19-11-2007, 22:51
I had two in a row because the dr didn't think the female trainee was rough enough to move things along O_o

The first was a little uncomfortable, the second was kinda painful but bearable and it was over quickly.

I went into labour one... or two days later, I forget. I think it was two. It was probably because of all the jumping and other things I did to try and move her along though ;)

I was 11 days overdue and was due to be induced the next day so woohoo!

lavenderpegasus
19-11-2007, 23:02
i had a s'n's thing and it didn't hurts it was a little uncomfortable but ok... I was a week early... it didn;t make a difference for me though

good luck

lp in wa

scorpionbabe
19-11-2007, 23:34
ive tried every thing else ive been told to do, ie hot baths, walking,eating fresh pineapple, spicy food, raspberry tea, but nothing is working so far....

so im really hoping the sweep works.

Harlequin
19-11-2007, 23:52
I spent the night bouncing up and down on the mini trampoline, scorpionbabe. I also did a few erm other fun things to try and get her moving hehe

ShadyCharacter
20-11-2007, 16:50
ive tried every thing else ive been told to do, ie hot baths, walking,eating fresh pineapple, spicy food, raspberry tea, but nothing is working so far....

so im really hoping the sweep works.
Most first babies are around 7 - 10 days 'late', so at two days I wouldn't be too worried yet. Your bub will be born when its ready :)

Good luck with it :)

Freya
20-11-2007, 17:00
I had a S&S at 40 weeks I was 2 cms dialated then I had another one at 41 weeks and went into labor pretty much straight away.

Like shady character said, your baby will come when it is ready.

scorpionbabe
21-11-2007, 06:11
i had my sweep done at 3 today, i was already 2cm's i started having contractions after about a hour of having it done.

with any luck my baby will be out tonight.:smiliedance:
this is my 4th baby, 3 days late

Moops
21-11-2007, 08:43
Oh good luck Scorpionbabe, I have mine tomorrow and i will be 7 days late - I hope it has the same effect on me!!!

scorpionbabe
22-11-2007, 05:30
hi all, my baby was born at 2.45am 21st nov

not even 12 hours after my sweep. my labour lasted 4hours 10 mins

Moops
22-11-2007, 06:18
Congrats hun!!! Can't wait to read the birth story and see some pics!

I had mine today, well they attempted to do it today and apparently she couldnt reach it so I will be induced next week...:thumbsdown:

Harlequin
22-11-2007, 13:02
Congrats!

sweetsugardumplin'
22-11-2007, 23:09
woo hoo new baby...congratulations :)