View Full Version : Question about elective C/S
As we all know, in a normal pregnancy, the baby will initiate labour when they are ready to be born.
So, if you had an elective C/S, did you wait until you went into labour before you went in for the C/S, or was it all pre-arranged well before time?
Was it something you thought about at all, was the option presented to you?
Having never had a C/S, I'm just wondering whether care providers are supportive of electives beginning their labour naturally, or generally against/dismissive of it.
I can't imagine to many providers would let you go into labour, then do the CS.
When I was considering a CS, I was told the date would be booked and that was that. I think sometimes labour could progress too fast, so if it was a CS for medical reason, it could be dangerous.
Also, I guess surgeons might not want to do a CS at 2am if they could have booked you in for a decent hour :)
My best friend has had three electives, on doctor's orders, and they were all just booked in a week or two before she was due, so no, no labour.
I guess it would depend on why you were having a non-emergency caesaren in the first place :detective:
I have thought about this, not that i'm going back again, but if i did it would feel really strange to know the date your baby was going to be born???
As nice as it would be (for them to decide when they're ready), i think it is more dangerous to do the surgery when you're in labour? i read that somewhere :D
I had an elective c-section last Monday due to medical reasons, but I wanted to wait until after my due date, so it was booked in for the day after. I guess I could easily have gone into labour first and my ob said if that did happen to get to hosp at the first sign of labour.
I had wanted another natural birth to begin with and while I ended up having an elective c-section, I'm not a big advocate of babies being born a couple of weeks prior to their due date.
My dd2 was actually a little underdone I think (covered in vernix and rooting reflex wasn't that strong), so i can only imagine how she would have been if i was to have the elective c-s at 38 or 39 weeks....
I think it depends largely on the ob and hospital. I'd imagine having a c-section would be more risky once labour had commenced, particularly if you were in established labour.....I'm not sure I'd want the spinal done during contractions either :eek:
I had an elective with my first baby at 38 wks, and will be having one with my 2nd also at 38wks, this is about the earliest my obs will do them, but he also said I could wait another week if I wanted to. When I asked him if I waited to have it and went into labour what difference it would make and he said it just makes it harder for the people who are caring for you (as in him and the midwives) as its harder to do the epidural and a bit more risky.
I don't know for certain of course, but I would think that if you are scheduled in for an elective c-section then they are probably unable to really wait until labour begins naturally for medical, staffing and operating room availability reasons.... I would also think that if labour was medically not the best idea for the mum or the bubs then obviously again, natural labour would not be encouraged.
My ob said that if I went into labour before the date scheduled for my c-section that an emergency c-section would then happen. Having a couple of close friends who have had both emergency c-sections and elective c-sections who both said the recovery from the elective was much easier for them as they had not laboured beforehand, perhaps recovery also plays a part in this decision??
I personally had a really positive experience with my elective c-section and I actually really enjoyed knowing the date my little boy was going to be coming into this world - I loved it. It was like a special secret that I shared with my boy, my DH and our immediate families. Looking back now - I wouldn't change a thing in the way things happened.
This time around, my elective CS will be booked for 38w plus a couple of days. My OB likes to do the CS soon after the 38 week mark.
As for knowing which day your bub will arrive, doesn't phase me either way. Just means DH can book holidays for the appropriate time. :fingerscrossed: this bub holds on until she is supposed to.
I had my e c/s at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes. They wouldn't let me go full term. Having said that my body felt "ready" to go into labour and I had been having pre-labour and braxton hicks galore!! I was induced at 40 weeks last time (due to GD once again) and my body DID NOT feel ready for it......bubs was born in distress via emergency c/section. Everything was a lot calmer this time round, I think my little man was ready to meet me.
I had my cs at 37 weeks. The doctor did not want any chance of me going into labour at all. At my checkup on the Wednesday she was actually flip flopping between sending me straight up to have it done straight away, but ended up moving me to the top of her list for Friday morning.
I had placenta praevia and a breech bub across the top, so we were glad to last as long as we did.
My ob/gyn was on holidays for the two weeks prior to my elective c/s. I was booked in at 39 weeks to have my c/s and did not go into labour, but had BH for a couple of weeks prior. For me I was still nervous about going into labour earlier and having a c/s done by an ob that didn't know me........but everything worked out and I had a great experience.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.