PDA

View Full Version : castor oil while breastfeeding?

Mum&bubs
25-10-2006, 20:17
Okay so I have finally given in the urge & brought a bottle of castor oil- thing is it just occured to me that it might give me a few extra trip to the toilet :o so what I was wondering is- is it safe to take while breastfeeding Summer? and if so will it give her the runs? I don't want to take it if it does so a quick response will be appreciated:D

bekkyboo
25-10-2006, 20:22
Here Krissy... Ill go back to search for some more tho

Avoid If...
Don't take Castor Oil if you have nausea, vomiting, an intestinal blockage, appendicitis, severe inflammatory intestinal disease, or any abdominal pain of unknown origin. Not recommended for pregnant and nursing women and children under 12.

Special Cautions
Habitual use of Castor Oil discourages normal activity in the intestinal tract, leading to laxative dependence. Prolonged use can also result in an unhealthy depletion of minerals, particularly potassium. In rare cases, an allergic skin rash may develop.

the_queen
25-10-2006, 20:23
I've been told that it can actually be dangerous for the baby (Taliyah, not Summer) because if it gives mum the runs, it could also give bubs the runs, which is not good :no:

And before anyone says "well I did it and my baby was fine" I'm just saying what I've been told.

If you're going for the "laxative effect" Krissy, try a heap of prunes or dried apricots :thumbsup:

bekkyboo
25-10-2006, 20:24
http://www.maternitycorner.com/mcmag/articles/preg0007.html

http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/natural_labor_inducers.htm

Hope this helps!

Mum&bubs
25-10-2006, 20:31
Thanks girls. If I knew there had been any safety concern for either babies I would not have thought about it. Out goes the castor oil out the window :wave:

the_queen
25-10-2006, 20:34
I've always wondered - what is castor oil actually used for? I know the old wives tale about bringing on labour, but is it just a laxative and nothing else? Is it anything to do with castor sugar? :detective:

Mum&bubs
25-10-2006, 20:35
I read a bit on the links that Bekky gave me & this is what it said about it:

Castor Oil - I do not recommend you try castor oil, though you will likely read much about it. Castor oil is nothing more than a laxative. It stimulates your bowels, which may irritate your uterus causing contractions. If you are not already dilated and effaced somewhat however, chances are you will just end up sitting on the toilet for hours after taking castor oil.

bekkyboo
25-10-2006, 20:36
Yeah i read that, its interesting all the reasons and how it works isnt!

Mum&bubs
25-10-2006, 20:38
Yeah it is! I had never even heard of it before bubhub & now actually reading up on it, it doesn't sound like something I'd want to try :no: