PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant with an egg from right ovary but I have no right fallopian tube WTF?????

billy80
08-06-2012, 11:40
I am very confused at the moment. I had an ectopic pregnancy 5 years ago which saw my right fallopian tube removed through surgery. Now I find my self pregnant again and had an 8 week scan yesterday to confirm all is well. During this scan the doctor advised that the egg had been released from the Right ovary and even showed me the corpus luteum from where the egg released.

**After ovulation, if pregnancy has not occurred, the empty follicle is called the corpus luteum and it is reabsorbed into the body. If pregnancy does occur the corpus luteum produces hormones that help to maintain the pregnancy.**

The doctor also showed me the left ovary and I could see for my own eyes that there was no change to this ovary suggesting the egg definately cam from my right side. Now because I do not have a tube in my right side the only possible explination is that I have ovulated from the right ovary and somehow the egg has floated accross to the left side and traveled down the left fallopian tube.

If anyone else can offer any other explination I am all ears, but when the doctor even said she cannot understand how this happened, I left just considering myself one very lucky lady.

drewid
08-06-2012, 11:50
the fallopian tubes are not fixed - they can sway to grab eggs from either ovary :)

i had a tube removed from an ectopic years ago before dd was born and my ob/gyn told me this little jewel :) one tube is all you need! (though two would be nice!) :)

Chillies
08-06-2012, 11:59
The human body is amazing-good luck and congrats :hyper:

GreenMama
08-06-2012, 12:16
Firstly, congrats!

Secondly, I'm amazed that your doctor couldn't explain this to you? As pp said, fallopian tubes are not fixed to the ovaries. The way it was explained to me is that they suction on to the ovary with sort of "fingers" which can release, allowing the tube to float over, attach to the other ovary and suck out an egg.

I also had an ectopic and lost my left tube - am now 31wks with a bub that sprung from my left ovary. I was told it's quite common, albeit completely amazing!

Luvmydogs
08-06-2012, 12:17
Wow congratulations! That's a very determined baby!