View Full Version : Random question about inductions...
I'll be seeing the hospital OB tomorrow, and was possibly going to bring up the topic of induction as i have well and truely reached the point of being "over it" - so much so, my mental health is suffering (I had really bad AND and PND with my DD and at times have felt the same as my previous pg)
I was thinking about asking if they can do a quick internal to find out if i'm dilating/effacing at all tomorrow and potentially a S&S
With inductions, can you opt to have one of the medical based inductions and not the others? Ie. Only having gel and refusing the drip and having your waters physically broken? The gel is where my options will end as i dont want any other kind of induction method if at all possible.
Your 38 weeks? I'm not sure they will do one? Either way my concern would be especially this early that your go past the point of no return and the induction might stall and you might have to resort to the drip ie If your waters are broken but no contractions or they aren't effective or regular.
They might do a S&S if your cervix is favorable but I'm not sure how well it will work for you. Personally I had 5 from 35-40 weeks and I was 3cm dilated already and they did nothing.
It is really really difficult to start the process of induction and still be able to dictate which interventions you are willing to accept.
If you are keen to get things moving, try accupuncture or other 'natural' methods of induction.
But it is usually better for baby and mum to let baby choose their own birthday, which even up to 42 weeks is still in the normal range (but i hope bub comes earlier for you).
Both my kids came after 41 weeks. I found planning things for the last few weeks really helpful cos it gave me things to look for, and if i missed out on them because baby had arrived i wouldn't be too upset. Arrange to go to the movies, get a massage (this can also bring on labour!), have a coffee date with a friend, take your daughter to the park or get some helium balloons and let them go... just do fun things that are more difficult when you will have your newborn.
Although it feels really hard at the moment, it won't last forever.:hugs:
My endo wanted me to be induce yesterday a just 38 weeks, The ob agreed to start with but my cervix was still closed and 2 cm long so the refused to go ahead. So I have to wait for next week to be looked at again.
While my induction isn't urgent as in my baby or won't die if it doesn't happen. it would make my life a hell lot easier. They could do the tests we have been waiting for months to do and start treatment if it is needed.
Anyhow have a google at the bishop score that they will used to see if it is likely that they will do one.
As for asking for the gel, ask away I wish I had asked yesterday but it slipped my mind with rollercoaster i was on. (i was suppose induced next week and it brought forward due to results of my scan and pushed back again.)
All you can do is ask and research inductions and the risk factors so that when you do talk to them you know what you do and don't want and what risk you are willing to take.
Ohh and feel free to pm me if you need to chat about this or anything else.
I don't think there's any harm you talking to them about it and getting an internal to check but I would look at talking to someone about how you're feeling to see if that helps and try to go naturally.
I was induced and only needed the gel to get things going (hypersensitive uterus) but that doesn't happen to everyone and if things don't move along quickly enough for them they may convince you to have other interventions.
I asked to be induced when I was 40 weeks+5. They didn't really want to. I wish they had just gave me a caesar straight up tbh as I knew dd was really big for me (I'm normally 46kg and 5ft compared to dh and we have a history of biiiiiig babies in both families). Anyway, they ebventually did induce me at 40+10 and I ended up needing a csection as I didn't dilate past 9cm (which Iwent to within an hour- ouchies).
Anyway, I think once you 'pop' you can't stop so to speak. Once they start it's a case of they have to keep going.
If you aren't keen on people touching your junk and being poked and proded I'd give it a miss. Didn't bother me too much (aslthough the breaking of my waters was the worst part of it all in terms of humiliation. Lol I kept thinking I was peeing myself in front of my dh and mum and sister).
All the best honey. I have dealt/am dealing with PND and I know it's not an easy road. If you feel it;s better for your mental health to have bub I would definitely push for it. Otherwise maybe take your time and just let he/she make an entrance when they are ready.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.