View Full Version : What should be the first food?
Can you please suggest what should be baby's first food?i m bit confused between rice cereal and pureed veg and fruits.thanks
There are no hard and fast rules about what foods baby should have and when. it really depends on the developmwent of the child but breast feeding is encouraged for at least 6 months and you can start introducing solids between 4-6 months of age. Some suggestions are:
• Start with a single food rather than a mixture. Infant rice cereal is recommended as it is easy to digest, the correct consistency and fortified with iron. Try ½ to
1 teaspoon and increase the qty to 2 tablesp as tolerated • Once rice cereal is accepted try smooth vegetables then fruits.
• When baby is eating vegetables and fruits try introducing meats, fish and chicken, and other cereals (breads, pasta, whole-wheat cereal). Tuna can be offered 2-3 times per week.
• Try small amounts of cow’s milk in custard, yoghurt and on cereal once baby is eating meats or chicken.
• Avoid small hard foods such as nuts and uncooked vegetables, due to the risk of choking.
• Fruit juice, cordial and soft drinks are not recommended for infants.
• First solids should be finely mashed or pureed, but quickly increase textures to coarsely mashed/minced/soft lumps as progressing.
• Offer finger foods such as pieces of cooked vegetables and crusts at about seven months to encourage chewing and self-feeding.
• Give baby a small spoon to self-feed, even while you continue to give most food.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.