PDA

View Full Version : Crinone question

Livvyloo
31-03-2011, 08:56
Anyone happen to know how long it takes for the progesterone in the crinone to absorb into your system? I'm just curious (and paranoid) because I really do sometimes feel like my crinone comes out (I take 2 per day, one morning one night), particularly in the morning. And I don't mean the "chunks" that are just the residue, but sometimes it seems like the actual cream is coming out. It worries me because does that mean the progesterone hasn't absorbed?? :(

LillyPonds
31-03-2011, 09:10
Hi Livvy

You'll always get some leakage from the crinone that's normal. I was told your body will only absorb what it needs. I don't know how long it takes for it to absorb though. I guess everybody absorbs it at different times etc... Just like pregnyl leaving your system.

wishfulmummy
31-03-2011, 09:12
i was told that it takes around 5 hours to be fully absorbed.

I would often think that it is coming out but i would find that would be when i went to the bathroom soon after using it. I have now learnt - bathroom stop before crinone and that seems to have eliminated that.

The nurses at my clinic have also reminded me to make sure that it is going in deep into the vagina, the deeper it is, the closer to the cervix which means the closer to the uterus where it is needed.

Good luck

Wishful xx

Livvyloo
31-03-2011, 09:18
Hi Livvy

You'll always get some leakage from the crinone that's normal. I was told your body will only absorb what it needs. I don't know how long it takes for it to absorb though. I guess everybody absorbs it at different times etc... Just like pregnyl leaving your system.

Hi Zulty! I totally freak out every time I get some leakage (which is pretty much every morning at some stage after I've put it in).. it makes me think that I'm losing all the progesterone!! I think after my m/c having had such low progesterone, i'm really nervous about that now. I really hope that the fact that I'm on two per day now will eliminate any potential problems from any leakage I might have. I

Livvyloo
31-03-2011, 09:21
i was told that it takes around 5 hours to be fully absorbed.

I would often think that it is coming out but i would find that would be when i went to the bathroom soon after using it. I have now learnt - bathroom stop before crinone and that seems to have eliminated that.

The nurses at my clinic have also reminded me to make sure that it is going in deep into the vagina, the deeper it is, the closer to the cervix which means the closer to the uterus where it is needed.

Good luck

Wishful xx

I do the same, go to the bathroom before I put it in, and I try to stay lying down for awhile too but some morning's I can't, and it doesn't always make a difference anyway, I always notice some leakage and it really worries me.

That's a good tip about making sure the applicator goes in deep.. I actually do that already but I'm going to be extra vigilent from here on in.

LillyPonds
31-03-2011, 09:32
Maybe you could suggest to your FS the progesterone pessaries instead of the crinone? The pessaries are a solid progesterone not a "liquid" like the crinone. They're $$ cheaper as well. They melt with the heat of your body. You'll still get leakage but it might give your body a chance to absorb more?

felicita
31-03-2011, 09:41
I can't exactly answer your question, but I had the same concerns during my first two cycles. My FN didn't offer any advice beyond - Put it up there and sorry it gets a bit messy after a while.

#1 AF arrived in full force 12dpo.
#2 started spotting on 12dpo, but held it off until after stopping crinone.
#3 This time it's even prevented spotting (15dpo, POAS says BFN, BT tomorrow with hopes pinned on me being someone who mysteriously doesn't pee HCG).

The thing I'm doing differently this time (and at the end of last time) is actively fishing for old crinone while in the shower twice a day right before the next application.
(a) I was worried about the fresh stuff getting caught up in any remnant cottage cheese and not having contact with my vagina wall.
(b) The aqueous phase is the rate limiting step for absorption by the body. I don't know how thoroughly you've read the information leaflet, but it says that progesterone dissolves in fat/oil (like all steroids), and only a tiny bit in water. Crinone gel has both water and fat components. You absorb the progesterone from their fancy water portion and this keeps getting topped up with progesterone from the fat portion of the crinone. So I figure a smidge of extra normal water left around from my fishing expedition might help to provide a larger contact area for my body to absorb the progesterone initially.
(c) The crinone watery component swells when it gets wet to produce the cottage cheese. Assuming this is an intended and desirable effect of the product, having just finished my fishing might help it to swell better.

Livvyloo
31-03-2011, 09:44
Maybe you could suggest to your FS the progesterone pessaries instead of the crinone? The pessaries are a solid progesterone not a "liquid" like the crinone. They're $$ cheaper as well. They melt with the heat of your body. You'll still get leakage but it might give your body a chance to absorb more?

Actually my FS did say he would look into that for me for next time if I want to change over. I don't mind the crinone, I've just lost my confidence from what happened last time.. especially knowing I could have been preg right now if it weren't for what happened with the crinone not staying in :(

I'm sure that on 2 crinone per day that will solve the problem, cos the morning dose is really just a "back up" for the night dose.. but I still worry.. !

Livvyloo
31-03-2011, 09:49
I can't exactly answer your question, but I had the same concerns during my first two cycles. My FN didn't offer any advice beyond - Put it up there and sorry it gets a bit messy after a while.

#1 AF arrived in full force 12dpo.
#2 started spotting on 12dpo, but held it off until after stopping crinone.
#3 This time it's even prevented spotting (15dpo, POAS says BFN, BT tomorrow with hopes pinned on me being someone who mysteriously doesn't pee HCG).

The thing I'm doing differently this time (and at the end of last time) is actively fishing for old crinone while in the shower twice a day right before the next application.
(a) I was worried about the fresh stuff getting caught up in any remnant cottage cheese and not having contact with my vagina wall.
(b) The aqueous phase is the rate limiting step for absorption by the body. I don't know how thoroughly you've read the information leaflet, but it says that progesterone dissolves in fat/oil (like all steroids), and only a tiny bit in water. Crinone gel has both water and fat components. You absorb the progesterone from their fancy water portion and this keeps getting topped up with progesterone from the fat portion of the crinone. So I figure a smidge of extra normal water left around from my fishing expedition might help to provide a larger contact area for my body to absorb the progesterone initially.
(c) The crinone watery component swells when it gets wet to produce the cottage cheese. Assuming this is an intended and desirable effect of the product, having just finished my fishing might help it to swell better.

Thanks for this - I actually have done a bit of "fishing" this time around myself. Not every time, but a few times I've given myself a clean out, because like you I thought what if the new cream gets caught up with the remnants of the old stuff and doesn't hit the vaginal wall. I might have to make sure I do this more often than just every couple of days though based on your explanation. Almost too late now considering I'm only 2 days off BT, but it's something to keep in mind anyway!

GL for your BT.. i hope you ARE one of those people who doesn't pee HCG ;)

hoping4asticky1
31-03-2011, 15:25
Actually my FS did say he would look into that for me for next time if I want to change over. I don't mind the crinone, I've just lost my confidence from what happened last time.. especially knowing I could have been preg right now if it weren't for what happened with the crinone not staying in :(

I'm sure that on 2 crinone per day that will solve the problem, cos the morning dose is really just a "back up" for the night dose.. but I still worry.. !

Hi Livvy - Another option is pregnyl injections as they contain estrogen, progesterone and HCG. Can't remember if you are with Rep in Adelaide or not but if so, most FS there will prescibe this for you. Unfortunately low progesterone levels may not have been the only cause for your m/c. It is not my intention to upset you but with such a drop in HCG there could have been other factors that contributed.

:fingerscrossed: you get a sticky BFP this time. Good luck with your BT.

Livvyloo
31-03-2011, 15:34
Hi Livvy - Another option is pregnyl injections as they contain estrogen, progesterone and HCG. Can't remember if you are with Rep in Adelaide or not but if so, most FS there will prescibe this for you. Unfortunately low progesterone levels may not have been the only cause for your m/c. It is not my intention to upset you but with such a drop in HCG there could have been other factors that contributed.

:fingerscrossed: you get a sticky BFP this time. Good luck with your BT.

I am with repromed in Adelaide, yes! I didn't actually know that pregnyl was estrogen, progesterone and HCG, for some reason I just thought it was hcg. I have mentioned it to my FS before, the pregnyl, but he didn't really mention it when he was thinking about alternatives to crinone for me for some reason. Perhaps if we don't have any luck this time around I'll ask about it ahead of our next cycle which will be a stim cycle since we've just used our last frosties.

I kind of hope that there was another cause to the m/c to be honest, so you haven't upset me at all, the thought that it could have been viable aside from a mishap with crinone application was just so upsetting to me!!

hoping4asticky1
31-03-2011, 16:13
I am with repromed in Adelaide, yes! I didn't actually know that pregnyl was estrogen, progesterone and HCG, for some reason I just thought it was hcg. I have mentioned it to my FS before, the pregnyl, but he didn't really mention it when he was thinking about alternatives to crinone for me for some reason. Perhaps if we don't have any luck this time around I'll ask about it ahead of our next cycle which will be a stim cycle since we've just used our last frosties.

I kind of hope that there was another cause to the m/c to be honest, so you haven't upset me at all, the thought that it could have been viable aside from a mishap with crinone application was just so upsetting to me!!

I didn't realise it was the 3 either until the FS I saw (KT) told me. It always used to be given with stim cycles but that changed about 18 months ago when they changed it to the estrodil patches. I think it was something to do with not being able to easily get hold of the dosage they preferred giving.

I don't know if the other FS's think more towards the crinone or pessaries first. I have always had problems with low progesterone and since about my 3rd cycle I have always had pregnyl with both stim & FET cycles.

This last cycle I used both pregnyl and crinone and although my prog never exceeded 100, something must be working for me as I'm 21 weeks today.

I think you are seeing Bruno, is that right? I've had a couple of dealings with him and found that he was usually willing to listen especially if you have a good argument.

Unfortunately I've suffered through BFP's that have gone wrong too. I'm pretty sure my first 2 chem pregs were due to undiagnosed high NK cells and my 3rd chem preg was a mystery. I've always believed that something else wasn't right for things to turn out as they did. Unfortunately with chem pregs they are lost too early to know but my BFP that became a missed misscarriage at 9 weeks was tested after my D&C and was found to have trisomy 15. I think this helps me to think the same way about my chem pregs.

Good news is you can still have a healthy pregnancy after everything you go through. I always doubted this until it happened to me and I still find it hard to believe now that everything will go fine. No reason not to think that way but IVF makes you build that wall I think.

Good luck Livvy

Livvyloo
31-03-2011, 17:27
hoping - thanks so much for your post. I think actually low progesterone may have been the reason I wasn't able to get pg naturally to be honest. I've always had a suspicion but my original gyno (before I went to repromed) wouldn't listen to me. Didn't even believe that luteal phase defects existed (I'll tell you what, that was VERY frustrating!!!). I can't say I was totally surprised when my m/c was because of low progesterone, it just sort of validated what I always thought might have been a problem for me. I am seeing Bruno yes, and he is usually pretty reasonable, hehe, I've had many long discussions and debates with him. I might bring up the pregnyl when I next see him and see what he thinks. I guess it'll depend on what my progesterone tests at in my BT on Sat, if it's high then it'll probably indicate my body is responding well to the crinone after all and maybe I won't need to. Of course my ultimate goal is to be pg this cycle but well.. I have to admit I'm not that positive. TRYING to be of course, but I just dont have any symptoms (aside from intermittently sore boobs but that's just the crinone I would say) and the fact that I don't FEEL anything is making me feel like losing hope. I'm so sorry that you have gone through failed pregnancies, it really is soul destroying, but it's very heartening to me that you are now over halfway through - proves it can happen after all. Hopefully I'll have some luck sometime soon :fingerscrossed:

hoping4asticky1
31-03-2011, 20:14
Livvy - besides having slightly sore boobs I had no other symptoms. Even til this point I have only really had sore boobs, no morning sickness, no nausea, nothing. If I wasn't scanned at every appointment by my ob, I think I'd have a harder time believing I am pregnant. Only in the last week or two have I started to get a little bump (was a bigger lady to start with) but not a single person has picked up that I'm pregnant without me telling them.

:fingerscrossed: for saturday

Livvyloo
01-04-2011, 10:06
Ohh that does make me feel better. All I've got is sore boobs. They're not sore 100% of the time, but on and off. And it's really the nipples more than the boobs. I'm on so much crinone though I don't really think it counts as a symptom. I was on crinone from 5 days before my transfer (2 per day) and my boobs started hurting from about 3 days after the transfer and have been on and off every since. I wish I could count it as a symptom, but when you're on progesterone, you kinda know you can't :(

wishfulmummy
01-04-2011, 15:01
hi livvyloo,
i just was reading your previous posts and that you were waiting to see what your prog level will be at your BT tomorrow. I dont want to burst your bubble or anything but the crinone will not show up in the blood test. I have had the exact conversation with both my FS and the nurses at the clinic.
The crinone acts directly on the uterus and does not cross into the bloodstream so dont be surprised if your prog level isnt very high.
For eg, i too am on 2 crinone per day, we got our BFP this cycle and when i did my first blood test the HCG level was very good but the prog was only 21. the next test two days later it went down to 20.6, then a week later it was up to 21.8. Now one week further on and we have had our ultrasound and seen the little heartbeat and officially 7wks pregnant, however because of the cycle we did i am still on the crinone 2/day until about 12weeks. I am told that my prog level will rise but it will be a slow rise until the placenta has fully taken over and i stop the crinone and then it may rise some more, but the pregnancy is healthy.

Hope the info helps because i know i was VERY concered about my levels until i got 3 confirmations from the staff.

Good luck

Wishful xx

Livvyloo
01-04-2011, 15:21
wishfulmummy - oh that's really confusing! I don't get it! If crinone administers progesterone into your system and progesterone is measured in the blood, why then can't they tell? I mean, I'm doing a medicated FET cycle, the progesterone I'm getting from the crinone is the only progesterone I have! If they can't get a reading of that then won't it just say ... zero??!

wishfulmummy
01-04-2011, 17:16
hi livvy,
i know very confusing isnt it?? I was so concerned about my level that i was demanding repeat blood tests every 2 days to check the levels because i didnt believe them and it wasnt until the FS explained it to me and he said that he was happy with the levels that i calmed down.
I also did a medicated FET (progynova and crinone) and am still on the drugs. So if you do get a BFP you will have to stay on them until the placenta is fully grown and producing its own hormones.
I was told that any level over 15-20 is fine, yes some ladies get much higher at over 50 or 100, but we will get there eventually, but on the other hand some ladies naturally have low levels.

Im ssure that you blood test will show up some level greater than zero, all i am saying is that even though we are having as much progesterone support as possible dont expect the level to be sky high.
When do you get your results??

Hope i havnt worried you.....

wishfulxx

Livvyloo
01-04-2011, 18:29
wishful - my BT is tomorrow actually, but not holding out that much hope because I just feel too normal to believe anything can possibly be happening. Praying and wishing that I finally have some luck though.

Thanks for the info on the crinone though, I appreciate it! It's nice to talk to someone who's had a medicated FET because most people have naturals. I didn't know that about crinone at ALL, particularly as the last time I had my BT and had a BFP they told me my progesterone level (which was a dismal 6, and I ended up miscarrying) so it made me think since crinone was the only source of progesterone I had, that it must be measured in the blood. CONFUSING!!

Thanks though, I'm not worried, well not any more than I already was before about the whole thing and getting a BFN!

wishfulmummy
01-04-2011, 19:39
livvy, dont give up hope yet.
I felt totally normal as well. So normal that i did a hpt late on the saturday afternoon and then went about putting groceries away, hanging out a load of washing and almost forgot about the test. When i remembered, i just picked it up expecting a negtive and almost threw it in the bin except that the 2 lines just caught my eyes. Total shock.
Still didnt feel pregnant until late last week when the nausea started, apart from that i really dont have many other symptoms which i thought i would have.

Good luck for tomorrow.
I really hope you get your BFP.

wishfulxx