PDA

View Full Version : Would you dob in a centrelink cheat

fairyflossfairy
06-10-2010, 20:59
delete

MummaBear03
06-10-2010, 21:01
Yes. They are the ones who have society looking down their noses at everyone on Centrelink payments and making accusations that everyone on those payments are cheating the system. They also make it hard for other people on different payments.

Solarberry
06-10-2010, 21:03
Im sorry but if he lives with his mum, how is that cheating the system? Just because YOU dont see him each time YOU pass doesnt mean he is there or isnt there?

What are your motives for dobbing them in? Cause 9/10 times its about jealousy and that should NOT be a motivating factor in possibly destroying someone's life with false allegations.

Teley
06-10-2010, 21:03
I would wait and see.

MummaBear03
06-10-2010, 21:04
I voted "Only if I was positive" because I'd hate to put someone through that kind of stress when they genuinely need the money and are getting it legitimately. Centrelink payments are hard to live off and it's stressful making end's meet so any more stress can tip a person over the edge. So yes, if I knew for sure that's what was happening I would and have.

SeƱor Chang
06-10-2010, 21:06
Probably not. It's not my business.

Even if they are cheating I wouldn't want to do something that could possibly affect the wellbeing of their children.

Me
06-10-2010, 21:06
Not on an assumption, but if I knew they were i would.

ComeBackKid
06-10-2010, 21:07
I voted "Only if I was positive" because I'd hate to put someone through that kind of stress when they genuinely need the money and are getting it legitimately. Centrelink payments are hard to live off and it's stressful making end's meet so any more stress can tip a person over the edge. So yes, if I knew for sure that's what was happening I would and have.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

CleverClogs
06-10-2010, 21:44
Yes. For sure. I don't like the idea of giving up a third of my hard earned money every pay to people ripping off the system. What wld people like that do if we all did that and there was no-one left to pay tax and fund their dishonesty!!!

bumMum
06-10-2010, 21:46
I would wait and find out for sure before reporting them, but would report them for sure. if they are then all I have to say is people like that are scum of the earth with a big sense of entitlement

MommaBear
06-10-2010, 21:49
if you are 100% positive that they are rorting the system then dobbing would be the way to go BUT if there is even an inkling of doubt and you dont know the FULL story then no- only a person of low morals would dob without being 100% sure.
As someone who has been falsely accused due to a vengeful ex I know the stress that it can cause and if like me she is in a situation where she does rely on the PPS payments and they are stopped during an investigation then it is the child who suffers.

MommaBear
06-10-2010, 21:50
if you are 100% positive that they are rorting the system then dobbing would be the way to go BUT if there is even an inkling of doubt and you dont know the FULL story then no- only a person of low morals would dob without being 100% sure.
As someone who has been falsely accused due to a vengeful ex I know the stress that it can cause and if like me she is in a situation where she does rely on the PPS payments and they are stopped during an investigation then it is the child who suffers.

JabberJaw
06-10-2010, 21:56
OP i think you are basing it on assumptions.

So what if they are out together.

I go out to lunch, shopping etc with my Ex and we split up 11 years ago, he pays for me to holiday where he is so he and his wife can see DD1 and the other 3 kids who they also love. I am even married to another man and have 3 other kids.

Just because Ex's do stuff together does not mean they are in a relationship, they could be doing it for bub, or they could genuinely enjoy each others company but simply cant live together.

He is only at the pub, her place or work or lately out food shopping together on weekends.

You dont know that ^^^^ unless you are stalking him. or have hired a PI to look into there affairs :rolleyes:

Someone dobbed me in once...for living with my cousin (whom they said was my boyfriend) the crap i had to go through to prove it wrong was ridiculous, and i was under video survellience, which i accessed via FOI, and they videoed me going to work, my washing hanging on the line (zoomed in to certain clothing), through the window, sitting on front steps on the phone, all sorts. Such an invasion of privacy and a total waste of time.

So in your case, NO i wouldnt dob them in,.No way.

MsMummy
06-10-2010, 21:57
I know somebody who is cheating the system (living with de facto but pretending to live separately).

I would not dob them in though as they have been given a very bad hand in life, and even with the Centrelink fraud, it's not much money they get.

I struggle though, as I detest it, but when it's somebody you know and you know the circumstances, then it becomes a lot harder. I just wish they would do the right thing.

kayla Lilyz mum
06-10-2010, 22:07
I know somebody who is cheating the system (living with de facto but pretending to live separately).

I would not dob them in though as they have been given a very bad hand in life, and even with the Centrelink fraud, it's not much money they get.

I struggle though, as I detest it, but when it's somebody you know and you know the circumstances, then it becomes a lot harder. I just wish they would do the right thing.

What gives them the right to do this just because they have been given a very bad hand in life??? Sorry but lots of ppl struggle etc and do the best they can to get by, I don't understand why someone people think they are entitled to more. As you have said you struggle yourself but do not do it.

Pinkzy
06-10-2010, 22:18
I voted other because I really don't know whether I would or could dob anyone into Centrelink. I have two friends who aren't 100% honest with Centrelink...one is single, the other lives with her partner. The single friend is dishonest about her income (cash in hand) and the coupled friend hasn't told Centrelink that the man she lives with is her boyfriend, he is also on benefits as well as her. I've warned them so, so many times that they'll get caught and so has everyone else who knows their situations. It's only a matter of time before they're caught out and penalised and I know what they're doing is wrong, but I could never dob them in as they're my friends.

In this particular case OP, I would wait and see and not say anything to Centrelink until I had evidence and actual facts that they're rorting the system.

MsMummy
06-10-2010, 22:23
What gives them the right to do this just because they have been given a very bad hand in life??? Sorry but lots of ppl struggle etc and do the best they can to get by, I don't understand why someone people think they are entitled to more. As you have said you struggle yourself but do not do it.

Sorry, I didn't mean I struggle financially in any significant sense. I mean, I struggle morally as I know they are doing the wrong thing.

I agree that it's not a defence in any proper way. But this particular person has such a miserable existence that I could not make life worse.

So, I'm not saying that they have the right to do it. But I'm not sufficiently outraged that I would report it, if that makes sense.

Leisa21
06-10-2010, 23:32
No because unless you follow them around all day every day and are stalking them you couldn't possibly know 100% unless they told you themselves that they're frauding CL. I wouldnt report someone on a hunch.

Luna Lovegood
06-10-2010, 23:51
No, because based on your OP your evidence is speculation and gossip.

Janesmum123
07-10-2010, 07:12
Nope.

I would not get involoved in other peoples money/relationship issues.

You do not know for sure their situation and you never will because you are not them.

If I was to start dobbing people in I'd be on the phone to c/l for 2 days.

Seriously it's nothing to do with me it's not like centerlink are going to to say "well this month we have saved the goverment 5 million" lets give it to the poor" yea right!

The public education system is falling apart, public health is a joke and the goverment want us to go around dobbing centerlink fraud in so the goverment can save money...for what exactly?
I ain't doing their job for them.

Boobycino
07-10-2010, 07:25
In this instance - no. It sounds like speculation. Also maybe they are trying to 'work it out' or they aren't but they want to actively co-parent? Unless you're actively stalking them it sounds like just speculation.

But if I was positive - yes - certainly. The assistance already given to working families is great I think, the ftb is plenty, with a working parents income, there's no need but greed or being disorganized with money to claim single parenting payments when your actually coupled to someone who works.

Dreamscape
07-10-2010, 07:28
I know 4

1: living partnered saying there single, I know for sure cause it's one of my parents

and 2: Is another parent who is lazy and an alcoholic, didn't wanna work so put themselves in mental home a fair few times and is now on a disability pension

3 & 4 are some good friends who are partnered saying there single etc,

I know it is so wrong and I would never do it myself but even though I know for sure these people are cheating, I wouldn't dob them in, even friends.
I beleive it's not my place to say and I know they will get caught, I'm a big beleiver in karma

Amara
07-10-2010, 07:30
Dob away. It sounds very like they are rorting the system. If they aren't they will be able to prove it.

I am seen out with my ex a lot but its never without our child as he has access visits with me present. We both have our own homes though and it would be quite simple to prove. We are not together as a couple at all. It makes me angry when people do the wrong thing as its just not fair on tax payers or the community that is missing out on services because of all the money that should not be getting paid to liars.

So what if they need extra money. I could do with some help paying my mortgage but I don't go pretending I am renting so I can get rent Assistance.

Boobycino
07-10-2010, 07:34
I think if it's a friend you're doing them a Favour (though they won't think so) dobbing them in sooner rather than later. My mil and fil lied on their forms and it wasn't till dp and I claimed centerlink that it unraveled theirs, and they had about 5 years of both claiming more than they should (or longer, I'm not sure) so they owe now about $25,000 each :eek: and now they don't have any other income they NEED the money on just a pension. But they have to love on a pension reduced by I think $50 less each a fortnight to 'pay baxk' what they owe. And a pension is barely livable as it is.

:(

So dobbing someone in BEFORE they get caught saves them money in the long run.

Emi
07-10-2010, 07:36
i think i would wait and see what happens...

i am on a single parent pension... but have a fiance'... we DO NOT live together though... we still spend time with eachother and occasionally i will stay at his place with his parents...

centrelink know all this.... and you can only be classified as a 'defacto' relationship if you have the same address and same custody to your kids etc...
i have full custody to our dd, and df has none... although we still see him.

we were not living together when dd was born though and havent since... df was 17 when she was born and we didnt have the money to move into together... we still dont... hence why we live apart...

but if they are living at different adresses and she has custody of the child... i dont think there is much you can do...

if an investigation was made then wouldnt his mother just say that they live apart???

i personally wouldnt do anything...
how do you know they are not just working out their problems?

your friend can still be classified as 'single mum' and still have a relationship with someone... if they are living apart it is not defacto...

MummaBear03
07-10-2010, 07:47
I dobbed my father in. He was living with this chick, then married her and they bought a house by using the money that should have been for my mother. She had 4 kids, 2 were adults and had left home. The other 2 she was claiming they weren't living with her so they were getting living away from home allowance and living with them. They were also down as not living with them and had all their school books paid for by charity despite the fact that my father was on around $90,000/year and failing to pay CS for my brother, and his wife was on $60,000/year at that time. My mother was on $24,000/year and he wasn't giving her CS which meant her FTB was being reduced, but no CS was making up for it.

I did not hesitate to dob them in. What they were doing was wrong. They were using a charity designed for those who cannot afford to go to school and they were using Centrelink money that could have been going elsewhere to someone who really needed it to survive on.

Also dobbed in my neighbour. She had her DD in foster care and was pregnant when she moved into the Housing house over the road but because she had one on the way and was trying to get another back she had to have a 3 brm house. But because she was claiming to be single with no kids in her care she was on NewStart Allowance and her rent was therefore set at $25/week. The rent reviews don't happen each time income increases, so by the time the rent review came around the next time she was on PPS and FTB for 2 kids, claiming to be single while he was working and earning $900 after tax, she had a CS exemption due to violence (even though he was living there and they had a 3rd on the way) so her FTB wouldn't be affected. She then had a rent review, signed the kids into his care and went back onto Newstart and her rent was then on the Newstart rate and still is even though she's on PPS and FTB for 3 kids with him living there bringing in a fortune, charities pay their bills, his father paid for their car, pays the rego on their car, and puts fuel in their car when they can't, and his mother buys their groceries for them quite often.

How do I know? She brags about it! Same as she came over once and said her groceries came to $300 for the week and she steals all the meat, and the time I stupidly took her shopping at Target and sat in the Food court with the baby and she came out with nothing, showed her bag on the way out, and we left with what I thought to be nothing. When she got out of the car, she showed me the necklace and bracelet she was wearing, the belt she was wearing, and stripped a few items of clothing from under the dress she was wearing. Being very pregnant at the time she was wearing a large, long, flowing dress that easily hid all those items. I went off at her for getting me involved in that nonsense and said if I'm questioned over it, I will not be lying about it, and she is not coming shopping with me ever again.

So yes I've dobbed people in for Centrelink fraud when I've known for a fact who they are, where they live, and that they are definately doing the wrong thing rather than just suspecting they might be. I would not do it on a hunch though.

With the example above, it's like a kick in the teeth for those who really are single parents living just off benefits, paying way more than $30/week for accommodation (another single mum with PPS, FTB and minimal CS with no other income that I know pays $145/week in government rent, no rent assistance) who don't have access to other income or people paying their bills or buying food or paying for a car and running the car for them.

There was a mum at playgroup bragging about how they are paying off their house yet getting rent assistance, getting PPS yet married and renting out a house he owned that he was said to live in and it was said he had a boarder when really he was fully renting out his house. They were "renting" her parents house, but all that money was really going to pay it off so they could get Rent Assistance. The money she was getting in FTB and CS was going into a savings account and they would go on an overseas holiday each year and by that time there was enough in there to cover flights and accommodation for the 4 of them, 2 adults and 2 kids. I didn't know enough about her to dob her in though.

Dreamscape
07-10-2010, 07:48
I can see what you mean yes
but I dunno.... I just couldn't do it hey weird I know.
They know they are doing the wrong thing they know they will get caught yet keep going and letting the amount of money there stealing go up and up.
I don't think there scared cause like you said you only have to pay back such amount each payday, and most of them have working partners so there not likley to be scared of being short etc.
But then again if they can afford to pay amounts back w/ help from partners income then surely they shouldn't have to lie and still have plenty of money...it's just greed!

When I did dd's forms when she was about 3 weeks old to get family tax a/b & parenting payment partnered I had no idea what I was doing so I got the lady from centrelink to do it for me, we over estimated dp's income to cover any overtime etc, and I thought that was that, started getting paid $400 something p/f fam tax a & b, baby bonus, $423 p/f youth allowance. Fast foward to last week They told me to change from youth allowance to parenting payment so I rang to do so and was told I wasn't entitled to youth allowance nor parenting payment cause of dp's income! So I got overpaid about $1600 and you know what the guy said to me from centrelink...he said I could keep going (stealing cause I then KNEW I wasn't meant to get it... And keep my coming payment that was due tomorrow then ring up and cancel it. Of course I didn't, I'm going way off topic here but it's a rant okay lol! Cause now I have a debt for doing the right thing, told them our household income and they gave me extra money p/f how was I meant to know I wasn't entitled to it (first time parent)

Escada
07-10-2010, 07:56
This is a hard one, I have a friend also that i think is doing it but end of the day I just stay out of it and let it be. My friends dad used to work for centrelink and believe me ppl get caught out eventually..

munchie
07-10-2010, 08:00
Nope.

I would not get involoved in other peoples money/relationship issues.

You do not know for sure their situation and you never will because you are not them.

If I was to start dobbing people in I'd be on the phone to c/l for 2 days.

Seriously it's nothing to do with me it's not like centerlink are going to to say "well this month we have saved the goverment 5 million" lets give it to the poor" yea right!

The public education system is falling apart, public health is a joke and the goverment want us to go around dobbing centerlink fraud in so the goverment can save money...for what exactly?
I ain't doing their job for them.

I agree

I know 4 different people that are claiming money from centrelink they arn't entitled to.
However its none of my business. Out of two of these people I believe they NEED that extra money, they are not doing it to become rich. Its not my job to dob people in. I am not a rat! Its their problem and if they get caught they will have to deal with it. I do not want it on my conscience. I think people dob people in out of spite or jealousy. Mind your own business. I know people won't like that but too bad thats my opinion.

Theophania
07-10-2010, 08:21
No I would not dob someone in.

I know alot of people who do this (I know atleast 10 couples doing this). DH and I struggle on his salary and the tiny ammount we are apparently entitiled to from centrelink. We live on not much more than I would get if I were single and getting the pension... But I am not bitter towards those doing the wrong thing. That is their life, if they get caught they have to live with the consequences. Who am I to judge if they need that money or not. Living these days is expensive and I think that they mainly do it just to bloody get by.

I would probably say butt out and leave them be, you do sound like you let this get to you alot. My advice would be to stop dwelling on it and leave them alone. You don't ever really know someones situation.

delirium
07-10-2010, 08:44
I would say in this case OP, that I wouldn't be reporting them until I knew for sure they were defrauding.

I used to believe in karma, but I don't anymore. I dobbed an aquaintance into CL for claiming SPP when her partner was still, and always was living with her. I know 100% bc she told me and I'd been to her house. It took a great deal of courage (even if it was anonymous) to do it and the worry she would know it was me.

Guess what happened? Sweet FA :rolleyes: They contacted her that she had been dobbed in, she said it wasn't true, they took her word and the case was immediately closed.

I know this sounds terrible, but CL do nothing. According to the rules the non custodial parent can stay at the house 2 nights a week, which means any clothes or belongings can be chalked up to that. If they visit, it's one of the 2 days. There are so many loopholes that if the couple/person knows them it's virtually impossible to catch them.

Janesmum123
07-10-2010, 08:56
I would say in this case OP, that I wouldn't be reporting them until I knew for sure they were defrauding.

I used to believe in karma, but I don't anymore. I dobbed an aquaintance into CL for claiming SPP when her partner was still, and always was living with her. I know 100% bc she told me and I'd been to her house. It took a great deal of courage (even if it was anonymous) to do it and the worry she would know it was me.

Guess what happened? Sweet FA :rolleyes: They contacted her that she had been dobbed in, she said it wasn't true, they took her word and the case was immediately closed.

I know this sounds terrible, but CL do nothing. According to the rules the non custodial parent can stay at the house 2 nights a week, which means any clothes or belongings can be chalked up to that. If they visit, it's one of the 2 days. There are so many loopholes that if the couple/person knows them it's virtually impossible to catch them.

I think it's 3 nights a week and they only real way they can prove it is if you admit it.

They can do a full investigation where they will go to the school, speak to neighbours, spy, take photo's go through bank accounts but this costs a lot of money and they will only do it if they are pretty sure there is fraud.
Also they do not have the time to do this with every case.

Benji
07-10-2010, 09:01
In the case of the OP, no I wouldn't report. She has her own home, she is "allowed" to date (gee, thanks Centrelink :D), and they are allowed to have a co-parenting relationship and sort things out.

If she is renting her own place, I don't see that it's anybody's concern.

HELPihavea2yrold!
07-10-2010, 09:19
I would only dob someone in if I knew for sure that they were de-frauding C/L.
When I was with my ex, I had alot of pressure from ex and his mother to go on PPS so ex wouldnt have to help me with money. He is on $70k a year but is a problem gambler and I had to use the BB money every f/t to pay the petrol, rent and groceries. I refused to do it because I think its dishonest and I believe in karma

Ohlala
07-10-2010, 09:54
OP i think you are basing it on assumptions.

So what if they are out together.

I go out to lunch, shopping etc with my Ex and we split up 11 years ago, he pays for me to holiday where he is so he and his wife can see DD1 and the other 3 kids who they also love. I am even married to another man and have 3 other kids.

Just because Ex's do stuff together does not mean they are in a relationship, they could be doing it for bub, or they could genuinely enjoy each others company but simply cant live together.

You dont know that ^^^^ unless you are stalking him. or have hired a PI to look into there affairs :rolleyes:

:iagree: I dont know how you can come to the conclusion you have based on what you have posted here.

I would never get involved, mostly because I could be wrong and cause alot of undue stress and heartache in a family that is doing the right thing, but most of all because its none of my business and its CLs job to check these things.

I think you have to have some pretty solid proof when it comes to dobbing someone in for this sort of thing. It could really wreak someones life.

mum2bubba
07-10-2010, 10:33
I have friends who have recently broken up, they have baby together, they still hang out together even though she and their daughter moved out, they are still good friends so from other peoples' eyes, it may look as though they are still together (though don't hug and kiss though, at least not in public)

Ohlala
07-10-2010, 10:44
I wanted to add as well that my first 2 kids are from a previous relationship and when we broke up we still seen each other alot during the week, we went to the beach together and he sometimes stayed over, not because we were together or thinking about getting back together but because we both found it hard to just stop seeing each other while we still had feelings for each other, we both moved on from the relationship and I only see him when I have to for our kids.

I know another couple that do not have kids together and broke up 8 months ago and still go through stages were they hate each other and say horrible things about each other and then talk bout staying at each others houses on FB.

fairyflossfairy
07-10-2010, 11:22
It annoys me because he earns 60 grand and their living expenses were $400(food/rent/power) a week max then the rest is on partying they were complaining how expensive living expenses were and that those 3 things add upto $400 a week.

If they were doing it because they were struggling I would not really care, no I am not stalking them but when they harp on about how they hate each other and that each others is ruining their lives and everyone went out of their way to comfort them and help them out due to break up and then we all find out that they are still together from what each of us has seen, when you ask how the other is doing they say dunno *****/******** is ignoring me have not seen them for a week even when you know they were together on weekend because you had seen them.

I guess I just hate people who cheat the system when they are doing it not because they need the money but because they are greedy.

I know I would not dob someone in who really did need it but this couple does not when they were 9 weeks behind on rent(and asking all their friends to help because they were going to be evicted if they didnt pay up) that is 180 a week and have company car with fuel card that has no restrictions on how much it can be used and for what.

I know for a fact that they do not need the money they just more money to party holiday and waste on the latest fads.

I guess I should get over it, but I cant it just makes me mad that people like this do it everyday and many people think it is okay.

I know people who have done this because it helped them out but for people like this it makes me angry.

Any way I am leaving it there because I think I am starting to reveal to much and do not want the person if on here to find out I am dishing the dirt out on them in a public forum.

SassyMummy
07-10-2010, 11:22
I probably wouldn't dob a Centrelink cheat in, but I definitely wouldn't in the case of the OP.

People are entitled to be friends with their ex. They're also entitled to the single parent payments if they are living apart from their partner, and their partner stays at their place (or vice versa) no more than a few nights a week.

Benji
07-10-2010, 11:25
$60K isn't exactly the high life - especially if they ARE living apart, it's unlikely they'd be able to pay two lots of rent, electricity, water, gas etc for TWO houses on that amount.

I'd just let it go TBH OP, it's really not worth stressing over when you don't know for a fact what is going on.

Cerberus
07-10-2010, 11:40
Because he is usually at her place according to another friend who suggested they were faking it and the little one it at the chicks mums house most of the time. I rarely see them with the little one and everyone wonders if they are pretending.

He is only at the pub, her place or work or lately out food shopping together on weekends.

It is confusing me as they are bagging each other out but always seem to be together and in each others cars and so on they just seem like a couple to an outsider but they tell everyone they know they hate each other.

They do not need the money just a lifestyle change

If it makes you feel better about yourself then dob them in. Personally I wouldn't. If it doesn't affect me then I'd let it go.

07-10-2010, 11:49
It sounds like a alot of gossiping is going on and bit of stalkerish behaviour if your checking whether he's at his mums everynight.
I think I would just mind my own business.

headoverfeet
07-10-2010, 11:55
If I knew 100% yes I would, I feel a bit sick knowing everyone's taxes are going to people who lie and cheat.