PDA

View Full Version : Poking your belly to get a reaction from bub. Is it safe?

MilliesMumma
26-08-2010, 11:04
I am almost 26 weeks with my first baby, and sometimes I press my tummy, or push in certain spots to get a reaction from bubby, i just LOVE the feeling of knowing he/she is safe in there.
I'm enjoying being pregnant so much.

My partner is telling me to stop pushing my belly, he is scared that it could do damage.

Now I'm worried it could....can it?

I assumed it was very well protected by my waters and also because the midwife presses my tummy harder than i do at my check ups.

Anyone know if this is ok or should i stop? I hope it's not doing damage! :confused:

Lemonhead
26-08-2010, 11:05
I do this all the time lol. I dont think it hurts them as I am only pressing, as you said, as hard as the midwife would if not gentler.

DS used to push his little feet out and I would poke them hehe.

headoverfeet
26-08-2010, 11:05
Nope, like you said your baby is well protected :goodvibes:

chicken and eggs mum
26-08-2010, 11:09
I was going to say was sausagefest said, when I did it, it was waaay gentler than when mw/ob did it!!!!!

They are very well protected!!!

narribri
26-08-2010, 11:11
Nope, definitely won't hurt them, and will probably hurt you well before it could cause damage to bub.

Flip often gets a good prod in the bum when she tries to stick it in an awkward spot and hurts me.. it usually makes her move, thank goodness.

singlemumma82
26-08-2010, 11:13
Hmm Im sure DD would be evident if it did, but she's fine :laughing:

Another great way to wake them up, drink a freezing cold drink, the cold burst makes them move :laughing:

Sounds so mean, but good way to check their all ok :D

MilliesMumma
26-08-2010, 11:24
Phew! So glad to hear im not the only one poking away at my baby haha.

I've drank freezing drinks, and bubs goes crazy!! its so funny.

It's still sort of new & early to me to tell what body parts are what kicking me., but i'm thinking it was bubs bum this morning my belly went hard with a huge lump on one side lol

trishalishous
26-08-2010, 11:48
I also used to shine a torch on my tummy:)

baby makes four
26-08-2010, 11:51
i went in for my 20w ultrasound on tuesday and the sonographer shook and poked my belly hardcore to get bubs moving LOL, i'm pretty sure it was more uncomfortable for me than bubby

EquineMum
26-08-2010, 12:12
OP - Maternal bonding through touch and sensation can definitely not harm your bubba in any way. It is an important part of the bonding process....and will strengthen your feelings with your little one :cloud9: Don't forget that between you and bubs there is the amniotic fluid, the amniotic sack, the placenta, your uterine wall, your abdominal wall, a large wall of adipose (fat) tissue, and then seven layers of skin - aint' no way your poking is gonna hurt a thing!! :laughing:

I also used to shine a torch on my tummy:)

Be careful doing this - babies retinas and eyes are still developing during pregnancy and there has been some research done that suggests this can actually be harmful to the immature optic nerves. Whilst babies do respond to light and dark, it is always somewhat muted through the abdomen, but shining a torch is putting a concentrated light source in there. :yes:

MsMummy
26-08-2010, 12:53
When I was heavily pregnant, I used to gently prod him occasionally, as he would then move around. It's such a strange concept, that they are moving around in there.

oleander
26-08-2010, 13:00
When the baby pokes me I poke it back :D I did the same with DD and she came out perfect.

A's Mummy
26-08-2010, 13:29
Totally safe! As you said, the middies tend to poke a lot harder than you.

DP & I used to 'play' with DD in-utero constantly :laughing: So much fun! Its even funner when they get a little bigger and you can tell they're kicking you back with their tiny little foot :D I think its a fantastic way to begin bonding with you bub :yes:

Enjoy your pregnancy!

Boobycino
26-08-2010, 13:31
Just you wait for the middies/op to do an abdominal palpation ;) you can't hurt baby without hurting yourself first :yes:

Gosh I used to prod him to make him jiggle to show other people (like 37 weeks) cos it looked like that scene from aliens ;)

Boobycino
26-08-2010, 13:34
I used to pat his 'bum' all the time too ! (Woops - he was breech - sorry about patting your head so much love ;) )

MilliesMumma
26-08-2010, 13:53
I used to pat his 'bum' all the time too ! (Woops - he was breech - sorry about patting your head so much love ;) )

hahaha woops! :D

thanks for the reassurance ladies.

I am LOVING being pregnant, its the best feeling i've ever had.

I love feeling bub kick, and i'm hoping it gets stronger then what i feel now at 26wks, cant wait to see the "foot imprint" that so many people tell me about.