PDA

View Full Version : declining the GD test.

Bellaxo
02-05-2010, 14:27
hey ladies, im 24 weeks, about 3 weeks away from taking the gestational diabetes test. I'm thinking of declining. Why? well, i don't eat great now, but im taking steps to improve my diet, try and walk each day, and i'm thinking of getting the finger prick tester to watch my sugar levels. I find the thought of testing to be more of a constant stress, and i'm of the belief that my body is more then capable to birth my baby, and she's of an average size for my age when i had my last scan at 20wks.

Who else has refused this? Im going through the mater mothers midwives program, and im a little scared they will have a go at me for not getting it done. Tbh, if i had done my research 12 weeks ago instead of the last month i would have opted for a homebirth, but im already set up for the hospi birth now -so with the test i know it is ultimatley our choice but im just not sure how to go about telling them these thoughts. Im happy to have my bloods looked at to double check im getting enough iron etc, but i find the gd test invasive and not always necessary.

suggestions on how to go about it?
And has anyone else gone down the same road as us?

Xx

headoverfeet
02-05-2010, 14:31
I didn't have it done last time (homebirth with a government funded program) and I had no issues, I felt horrible when I did it for DS1s pregnancy.

Don't ask, when they ask you just say that you have decided not to do that test and change the subject asap :devil:

kimbo85
02-05-2010, 14:32
Hi. Im going in for mine tomorrow. Diabetes is something that is in my family, and the impact it can have on your pregnancy and baby are crazy!!! Im having it to be safe, as its only 2.5 hrs or so up at the hospital... a good excuse to put my feet up and read a book!!! :)

chaiseandlarasmummy
02-05-2010, 15:11
I want to refuse mine this time round also.

I had it with the first 2 pregnancies and it was so awful. I was so sick for days, just not fun!

Kimbo- i hope yours is a more relaxing experience than mine.

I am going to ask what the chances are of having it in my 3rd pregnancy if it's a risk then i'll have it. I wont risk it for the sake of not being sick for a few days.

Bubs'n'Roses
02-05-2010, 15:19
I refused to have it with DD2. I felt awul for days after doing it with DD1 and so opted to not do it. They didn't give me a hard time, I just said no I wasn't doing it and that was it.

MamaBleech
02-05-2010, 15:27
I declined the GD test and the hospital (Mater Public) didn't have any issues once I made my position clear.

I declined the test because:
I was not in any of the risk categories.
I was fit and healthy.
I knew what symptoms to look out for if my sugar levels went funny.
Lots of big babies come out of vaginas.
I wanted to avoid being labelled 'high risk'.

Check out Sarah Buckley's website, she has a fabulous article on it.

HTH

Bellini
02-05-2010, 15:33
I'm refusing it with number two as well. I am healthy and definitely not high risk and it made me feel like vomiting when I did it last time. The nurse was cranky and told me that if I vomited I would have to drink it all over again :( I was nearly in tears.

If you decide to refuse it, stick to your guns. Many people will tell you that you are risking the health of you and your baby by doing so (which is what happened on here the last time someone posted a similar thread :rolleyes:) It's your body, it's your decision.

Georgias Mummy
02-05-2010, 15:38
I would do it regardless of being fit and healthy, if I am high risk I want to know about it.

Baby deserves a healthy mummy so I would do it 100 over to either stop any worries or to help me be healthier for my bubby.

Personal choice, but if you are already at risk why would you risk it and refuse it ??

Amara
02-05-2010, 15:49
A friend of mine got it in her second pregnancy. Complete shock to her. It got so bad even eating veg and salad made her levels skyrocket even on insulin. She was only in her 20s and her diet could not control it.

The test itself was no big deal at all for me and I had to have the second one too. It was just like drinking a lemonade and sitting about a lot and some bts.

jaesmummy
02-05-2010, 15:52
I sort of don't know why you are so worried about the GD test itself. You could just do the 1 hour test if you wanted, drink some sweet stuff and have some blood taken. It's not painful or anything and if you're worried that the drink will make you sick, you can request jelly beans instead. Who can't eat 9 jelly beans? Yum.

It's entirely you're decision and I'm sure the hospital will respect that, but it's not all about having a BIG baby... that's only part of it. Personally, I'm really, really grateful that I found out in past pregnancies that my blood sugars were too high and that I had the opportunity to control them. As it is, I still have severe polyhydramnios and my bubs always have low blood sugar after birth - it would be SO much worse and so dangerous if I didn't know and didn't take insulin. I started insulin at 8 weeks this pregnancy - thank goodness I was still testing my blood sugars after having Seth. If not, and my sugars were uncontrolled in those early weeks, my baby could now have deformities. For me, a sweet drink and a few jabs have been worth it to give my baby the best chance of a healthy start.

I'm probably a bit biased because I think the testing for GD has been a godsend. Chances are if you eat a balanced diet and have no family history you are ok anyway. I really hope you at least do a few fingerprick tests sometime just to make sure - it's better to be safe. Believe me, you don't want to see your little bub in special care hooked up to feeding tubes etc. with low blood sugars. Best of luck. :flowerz:

Blueberry Crumble
02-05-2010, 15:56
Why would you not have the test done??? There is MUCH more risks to the baby with you having GD than just high birth weight. I cant understand why people would not have it done? (Dont think the reasons above are a valid reason either?)

halloweenmum
02-05-2010, 16:10
For the GD test to be a routine test for ALL pregnant women, clearly that shows it can be a condition serious enough to impact on the baby & mother if left untreated. Why would you take such a risk .

The part that gets me the most about your post is that you say youre willing to have all the other tests! Well what on earth makes you think that Gestational Diabetes is less serious than any other antenatal condition???

I know its your body and your choice, but IMO its not about you- you are responsible to act on behalf for that human being inside you. If he/she had a voice right now and could be asked, dont you think they would ask to be tested just to be safe?

Ok rant over,lol just something to think about.

Bellini
02-05-2010, 16:12
Who can't eat 9 jelly beans? Yum.

I can't...

headoverfeet
02-05-2010, 16:14
BC and HM some mothers feel that these tests are just not helpful and can lead to more testing and interventions, it's all about choice :)

Bellaxo
02-05-2010, 16:16
geeez ladies calm down, it is my body and its not a mandatory test so i don't need guilt trips and the replies implying i might be a bad mother or not looking out for the best for my child - your replies aren't necessary. I'm not 100% decided im just in the stages of doing my research thats why im asking NOW not the day/night before i go. I wanted to know if i would have trouble if i do decline, if i choose to. Thanks to the ladies that have given me good info/advice - much appreciated :)

Bellini
02-05-2010, 16:46
"Why would you take such a risk"??? Pfft.

I posted in here a few months ago about my friend who was induced at 36/37 weeks because she had GD and her OB decided that U/S and palpitations indicated a large baby :rolleyes:. She had an awful pregnancy due to it being micromanaged because of the GD, and then following a traumatic induction and labour - and ultimately a c-section because her body just wasn't ready to give birth - her 5lb baby was born :( She is mentally and physically scarred from this experience and consequently does not wish to ever have another baby again. Hopefully counselling will help her come to terms with her traumatic experience.

I'm aware of the symptoms of GD and i'm aware of minute changes in my own body, which is why i'm "taking the risk" and refusing it next time. I'll also be refusing many other tests, but that's another story.

headoverfeet
02-05-2010, 16:55
I'm aware of the symptoms of GD and i'm aware of minute changes in my own body, which is why i'm "taking the risk" and refusing it next time. I'll also be refusing many other tests, but that's another story.
Yes this is :yes:

Emmi
02-05-2010, 17:33
I wish I knew I had the choice to decline it! If I get to have another baby I'm going to decline. I do not want to be ingesting that crap, nor my baby. It sent DD mental in utero and the nurse at the blood place thought it was hilarious. It scared me! :(
and for the record, I can't eat jelly beans either... I have coliac disease.

jaesmummy
02-05-2010, 18:05
I was not intending to offend you with my reply (or the lady with coliac disease). Nor did I want to imply that you should feel "guilty" in any way over your decision. I'm sure you're one of many, many mums who don't want to have a GD test done and as I said I'm sure the hospital will respect that (as I do). I was simply offering the other side, how the testing has been really important to me and why.

We all make choices in pregnancy, birth and with our newborns. These choices don't have to suit anyone but ourselves. As I said you will probably not have any problems if your diet is balanced and your family history of diabetes is fine. And again, I hope it all goes smoothly. :flowerz:

Shellfish
02-05-2010, 18:36
FYI, someone is not exempt from GD because they are not classed high risk. I am not, I don't have any diabetes in my family, I am not overweight, I eat very healthily (vegetarian) and I am fit and I still got it.

melbryan
02-05-2010, 18:50
I too could have declined a GD 4 times . I did not have GD nor do I have diabetes in my family but guess what my son is a Type 1 diabetic.
Nothing I could have done to stop this happening to him. All my babies were border line GD and they were all big.

GirlsRock
02-05-2010, 19:13
I was going to decline this time around because I am not in the high risk category at all and it really is foul stuff you have to drink, but recently I have had 2 friends, not in the high risk category, be diagnosed with GD in their 2nd pregnancies. So I'll be doing it again. Luckily, so far both have been able to manage it through changes to their diet.

In reply to the OPs question, if you tell your care providers that you've researched it and have decided against having the GD test, then they should respect your wishes. Of course, whether or not they do is another thing :rolleyes:.

Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy.

headoverfeet
02-05-2010, 19:20
GD is not the reason all babies are big :no:

And most of the time GD can be controlled via diet as a PP said, I just believe for me that drinking a very sugary drink to find out if my body reacts incorrectly is absurd, I prefer to listen to my body to eat healthy and if I feel unwell I will seek medical attention.

Areca
02-05-2010, 19:26
I declined it with my third...was never offered it with my first two (so see, it's NOT a mandatory test in ALL hospitals) but because DD2 was over 4.5kg born I was offered it. DD2's size was not due to GD.
DS (my third) was my smallest baby and no signs of GD. I made an informed decision and my midwife was very okay with it.

ETA - I reckon my DS was pretty happy to not have had to go through it either. There was absolutely no way in h3ll I was going to fast and then drink sugary rubbish unless absolutely necessary and having a beautiful baby that I birthed very easily that was 80gms over the '4.5kg risk' was not a good enough reason for me.

GirlsRock
02-05-2010, 19:48
There was absolutely no way in h3ll I was going to fast and then drink sugary rubbish unless absolutely necessary

I was never told to fast before hand when I did the GD test last pregnancy. Right before I did it I went out for lunch and had a beef and guiness pie and a big pot of raspberry lemonade. Geez, no wonder I felt so bloomin' awful and struggled not to vomit when I did it! At least this time around I will know to fast first. Thanks!

TripleTime
02-05-2010, 20:34
I refused the test, 5 whole weeks of me constantly saying no to countless midwives telling me a needed it cause i was in the 'high risk' group.

For me, it would of added extra stress i didnt need in an already stressful situation. It wasnt just about having another test.
Someone else would have had to test my BLS. I cant do it myself. Would also of meant i was admitted to hospital for the remainder of my pregnancy, after just getting out after 3 weeks.

lovelymum
02-05-2010, 21:13
I would do it regardless of being fit and healthy, if I am high risk I want to know about it.

Baby deserves a healthy mummy so I would do it 100 over to either stop any worries or to help me be healthier for my bubby.

Personal choice, but if you are already at risk why would you risk it and refuse it ??

:iagree: GD does not just cause big babies there are serious health implications for mum and bub I had GD with DS and he was in fact tiny 5 pounds, at birth he was unable to maintain his body tempreture and had severe hypoglycemia (which can result in coma and death). I am not trying to scare you or anything but if you think you are already in the risk category then for a simple 2 hour test is the risk worth it? I had the test with DS booked it for 8am in the morning so I was not fasting all day long and I had no ill effects from it and I had GD. I had it after he was born and again I felt fine and I had it when I had DD and again no problems the drink is not that bad I would describe it as being fizzy gatorade and I just took along a few magazines to keep myself entertained. Anyway again just my opinion. Good luck with what ever choice you make :)

Areca
03-05-2010, 06:46
I was never told to fast before hand when I did the GD test last pregnancy. Right before I did it I went out for lunch and had a beef and guiness pie and a big pot of raspberry lemonade. Geez, no wonder I felt so bloomin' awful and struggled not to vomit when I did it! At least this time around I will know to fast first. Thanks!

Oh no don't worry, different places have different 'rules' for the test. Another reason I opted out, the test isn't even constistent across the board. You probably felt like you were going to vomit because of the drink itself. Heaps of people do. I know of people feeling sick and unable to eat properly for up to a week after the test. I was putting myself through that unless I had a true need!

MamaBleech
03-05-2010, 08:00
Neither the OGTT nor the screening test are reliable tests in that they give different results when repeated in the same person (8,24). In addition, blood glucose values rise as pregnancy advances, but no adjustments are made for this. This means you could “fail” a test in week 28 that you would have “passed” had you taken it in week 24 (17). The various thresholds used to diagnose GD are purely arbitrary (11,28-29,40,43). None of them correlate with the appearance of or a marked increase in complications. Studies fail to show that treatment reduces adverse outcomes such as overlarge babies (16). However, being identified as a gestational diabetic greatly increases the chance of having a cesarean simply because of the diagnosis, not because of problems such as overlarge baby (5,21,37,42). For these reasons, several organizational bodies have opposed GD testing. A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth, the bible of evidence-based care, relegates screening, diet, and diet plus insulin to “Forms of Care Unlikely to be Beneficial (16).” The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says no data support the benefits of screening (1). The U.S. Preventative Services Task Force and the Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health (http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pcomplications/0,,9cgc-3,00.html#) Examination both conclude that there is insufficient evidence to justify universal GD screening (7,15).

Read More http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pcomplications/0,,9cgc-3,00.html#ixzz0moLwgMie (http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pcomplications/0,,9cgc-3,00.html#ixzz0moLwgMie)

In most cases GD is managed through diet. So how about we skip the unreliable test and look after ourselfs instead? If in fact you have a legitimate sugar level issue you will want to drink water by the bath full and will need proper management/treatment. It is far more irresponsible and harmful to the baby to have an unnecessarily traumatic birth than to decline this test IMO.

lovinmybub
03-05-2010, 08:17
I did the one hour test with ds1 and didn't have a problem with it. Results came back fine, this time they've told me they want me to go for the two hour test!:confused: While we're on the subject can anyone tell me the difference between the one and two hour tests, please?..

Lillynix
03-05-2010, 08:51
Why would you not have the test done??? There is MUCH more risks to the baby with you having GD than just high birth weight. I cant understand why people would not have it done? (Dont think the reasons above are a valid reason either?)

Because it's not a routine test in all hospitals.

Because it is a very highly inaccurate test.

Because stable blood sugar levels are extremely important in pregnancy, and given that I was low risk, I didn't want to mess with my blood sugar levels.

Because even when I told the hospital midwife that I didn't want the test, she looked at my notes, said that's fine, you're low risk so I wouldn't have sent you for it unless you wanted it anyway.

Because I made an informed decision about mine and my baby's health.

For some, it's not "just a simple test". I did it in my first pregnancy and never again! The drink made me feel so horridly sick I almost passed out (something that is obviously not good for me OR my baby) and then I was subjected to sitting in room for an hour, not being allowed to move, not even when I was feeling sick and needed fresh air outside. And then I was subjected to a horrid blood test which took 5 bloody goes to get blood out of my as my veins are always hard to get at when i'm pregnant.

All in all it was very stressful for me and not worth it when I am considered low risk (and yes, I realise low risk people get GD too). And let's not forget that the dangers associated with GD, the more serious kind, not just "big baby" are extremely rare. GD does have some catastrophic outcomes, however these are VERY rare, so it's all about risk perception. I made an informed decision and decided that for my the risks/stress associated with the test were more likely to occur than the terrible outcomes of untreated GD.

To the OP - I didn't have the GD test in my second or third pregnancy. Second was a hospital birth and they were cool with it. They, surprisingly were fine when I refused the GBS swab too AND I didn't have antibiotics during my labour, DS1 was just monitored temp. wise for 48hrs afterwards.

And I didn't do either tests third time either, a homebirth and my Independent Midwife was absolutely fine with it too :)

Just do what YOU feel comfortable with. Do some reading, make an informed decision (either way) and be happy that you are doing what you feel is best!

Proudest mum
03-05-2010, 08:53
I didn't have any ill effects from the test either. I'm quite surprised to hear it makes some people so sick.

Seemed like not a big deal. I was a bit full that's it. Wasn't asked to fast.

I think I have an iron gus! :)

Not sure of the difference in 1 hr or 2 hr.

embryonichappyperson
03-05-2010, 09:01
I wasn't offered the test with DS1 and my OB wanted me to get it done with DS2, so I did. The nurse who took my details warned me the drink was horrible and to drink it slow but I just skulled the whole lot and she said thats the fastest anyone has drank it! lol.

I didn't mind the drink actually, the only part I didn't like was hanging around for 2 hours. I tried to read a book but the chairs were uncomfortable and the nurse told me I could lie down for a while. I had a lie down in a dark room and dozed in and out of sleep.

The nurse was quite lovely and checked up on me all the time and asked if I felt ill. I didn't have a problem with it at all.

Thank God I didn't have GD, though my sugar levels were a bit high. I was just told to watch what I ate.

Bellini
03-05-2010, 12:10
In most cases GD is managed through diet. So how about we skip the unreliable test and look after ourselfs instead? If in fact you have a legitimate sugar level issue you will want to drink water by the bath full and will need proper management/treatment. It is far more irresponsible and harmful to the baby to have an unnecessarily traumatic birth than to decline this test IMO.

:iagree:100%

kimbo85
03-05-2010, 12:38
i just got back from having mine... the lemonady stuff wasnt that great, and i wanted to fall asleep 10 mins after the hypo run out... but now im tucking in to a nice slab of cheesecake and cream, and i dont feel the least bit guilty!!! my advice is dont do it if you dont want to..... but everything is worth trying once... it wasnt that bad. goodluck. xoxo :flowerz:

Insaine Laine
07-07-2010, 22:59
I think the reason some people have to fast before the test & some don't is because they are doing different tests! As far as i can remember, you don't need to fast before the 1hr test but do before the 2hr test.. Your also meant to stick to a specific diet for 3 day prior to the 2hr test.. Not sure what the difference with results for each test are though??

I had GD with my second pregnancy, which came as a huge surprise tome as i wasn't in any of the high risk categories.. it was controlled by diet.. this time around i've just been diagnosed with it again :( The test was never a problem for me it's the finger pricking that i hate..lol

RmumR
07-07-2010, 23:12
i did the GD test when preg with DD and had no adverse effects from it at all, don't even remember finding the drink all that offensive.
Not sure how i will manage it this time as still have severe ms at 20wks that shows no signs of letting up anytime soon so no way at all i would be able to keep the drink down.
anyone know what they do if you can't keep the drink down due to hypermesis

mummaof4
07-07-2010, 23:24
It's not painful or anything and if you're worried that the drink will make you sick, you can request jelly beans instead. Who can't eat 9 jelly beans? Yum.

are you serious? i was gagging and all sorts trying to get it down with #1 & #2, i dont drink soft drinks or anything other than water and the odd cup of tea.. so it was completely foul.. they never ever mentioned just eating bloody jelly beans!
how nasty of them! lol

i didnt do the test with # 3 & #4.. couldnt bring myself to drink it again..

harmony plus 6
18-02-2011, 11:33
This is one test I hate and have had major dramas at the hospital about.

I did it in my previous pregnancy and made me feel sick for days after. With my 4th son they told me I had GD and put me on insulin straight away and he was the biggest of all my baby's by a long way. The next one I didn't have it and he was nearly a kilo lighter! I am convinced that them interferring and the insulin made my 4th son as big as he was and caused all the birth and after birth complications.

When I booked in this time around they made me do the 2 hr test at 22 weeks and I passed easily, then they wanted it repeated at the normal 28 weeks and I said no because there was no reason. They made me speak to the OB and they tried "your putting yourself and baby at risk" speech they use, but I had done my research and said no. The test makes me sick, so that can't be good for my baby, plus depending on where you live the results of what is normal and what is high are different so how can that be a reliable test?

Personally I think big babies can happen for many reasons, but as long as you eat well and are healthy and all your check ups everything is growing at the right rate I would not do that test ever again.

Bunnymermaid
28-02-2011, 22:01
I have to agree with Shellfish - I don't fall into any of the 'high risk' categories that increase the chance of developing gestational diabetes - I'm not overweight, I have a very healthy diet, I exercise regularly, I don't belong to any of the ethnic groups that are considered to be at a higher risk, and there is no history of diabetes in my family. And yet, I have GD. It was quite a big surprise, and certainly not a surprise that I wanted. At my 20 week scan there was no indication of GD since my baby was a normal size, so that scan can't be used as an indication of whether or not you have GD (which I think usually develops somewhere between 20 and 24 weeks).

It's your own choice whether or not to do the GD screening test, but the test itself certainly isn't anything to be worried about, and rarely results in further interventions. My GD is diet controlled, so the biggest inconvenience so far is having to be a bit more careful with what I eat (which makes eating out at restaurants a bit difficult sometimes, but I'm glad not to have to take insulin). But at the same time, all the food that I consume is nutritious, I've continued to stay active, and as a result I feel fantastic at 34 and a half weeks. I hope it stays that way for the remaining five weeks or so!

I don't have any extra OB appointments than anyone else has, the only extra appointments I've had was one meeting with a diabetes nurse, who gave me the blood glucose monitor about six weeks ago, plus I phone her once a week (becoming once a fortnight) to let her know what my glucose results have been, plus an extra ultrasound at 32 weeks, which showed that my baby is a normal size and is likely to be around 8 pounds if born at 40 weeks.

Around when GD was diagnosed, my doctor mentioned that if the baby grows too big, then there is a chance of induction at 38 or 39 weeks, but if everything is fine, then they allow you to go to 40 weeks (but not usually beyond that). I guess induction is the only intervention that I'd really like to avoid since it can possibly lead to other interventions for various reasons. But I'm hoping that my hypnobirthing practise will help me in whatever birthing situation I find myself, and will allow me to stay relaxed during the experience.

Since I certainly didn't expect to get GD, but I did get it anyway, and because there are no symptoms to let you know whether or not you have GD, I would certainly recommend doing the screening test, and then if necessary (if your glucose level is higher than 'normal'), doing the diagnostic test. The sugary drink certainly isn't pleasant, but it basically tastes like very very sweet, flat lemonade and as soon as you're allowed to drink water again, you'll probably feel normal again.

AngieT
12-07-2011, 09:11
I think the women here fall into two categories: those who got sick during the test, and those who didn't.

Those of us who have been sick as a result of the GD test know just how terrible it is to be vomiting in the waiting room, and to be left feeling sick for up to a week afterwards.

With my first baby I had the test only to vomit it up (and wet myself in the process, due to the pressure of the baby). I felt sick for a week and my health went downhill. With my second baby, I asked the doctor if I could miss the test and he was fine with it (and so was my little baby girl).

I'm pregnant again now, and my new doctor insisted I do the test - in fact, he downright bullied me into it; he had me sobbing right in front of him. Still, I thought Doctor knows best, so I subjected myself to the GD test once again. And even though I did everything by the book I still vomited (and wet myself again, SO humiliating!), and once again was sick for a week afterwards.

So for those of you who were lucky enough not to feel sick with the GD test, please don't judge the rest of us too harshly - we want the best for our babies, too!