PDA

View Full Version : how long till you drove after a cesarean??

ShellieBellie1983
30-03-2010, 13:44
i got told i have to wait 6 weeks till i can drive after having my cesarean
i am going stir crazy being at home all day just me and the bub

How long did you wait before you drove??

Liddy
30-03-2010, 13:48
DD1 - 3 Weeks, DD2 - 2 weeks.

I'm told that it's actually an insurance thing more than anything, apparently you're not covered if you have an accident and damage is done to the wound?
So I just got a driving clearance from my doctor when 'I' felt like that I could drive without being in pain.
Maybe drive around the block and see how it feels? Slam the breaks a few times and if you can do that without pain or trouble then I don't see why you can't drive?

Nobody told me I had to wait 6 weeks with my second, when I went to the doctor for a driving clearance after 2 weeks my doctor blinked at me and said "why do you need one of those for? you can drive" lol

I very much would go with how you're feeling. DP went back to work after 2 weeks after DD2 was born so it was important I could drive myself around if need be.

kuddles
30-03-2010, 13:48
6 weeks after my emergency c-section.

alpacamum
30-03-2010, 13:56
3.5 weeks and could have driven sooner. I had to get myself and DS back to the country from hospital and was not waiting for someone to be able to drive us! Plus I felt fine.

FluffyDucks
30-03-2010, 14:23
I had an emergency ceaser with DS1 and an elective ceaser with DS2 and doc said I could drive as soon as I wanted with both of them.

He said it was more about how comfortable I felt (like when you need to twist around to look in your blind spot).

So after DP when to work (after 2 weeks) I was driving!

You can always check with your car insurance company to find out what they say about it.

MW&S
30-03-2010, 14:25
2.5weeks. I called the hospital and they said if I could stamp my feet and it wasn't painful and if I could turn each way without pain I would be ok to drive.

You need to consider that and also if you are on any pain meds that could affect your ability to drive.

I called my insurer and they said that as long as the DR said Ok then your fine.

mummyrissa
30-03-2010, 14:30
I drove about 8 days after. My ob said it was more the hassle of putting baby, shopping, pram etc into the car n lifting n stretching doing those things, that was going to cause more damage then driving!

TripleTime
30-03-2010, 14:37
I dont remember, at a guess 4ish weeks.

If you can stamp your feet your fine to drive.

I rang my insurance company & asked, i was told as long as you dont have a written order from your Dr saying 'do not drive'. Your fine.

Shellfish
30-03-2010, 15:48
2 weeks - Mine was a straightforward, transverse caesarian and OB was confident I would be fine, and I was.

I think the whole 6 week thing stems from the old fashioned longitudinal (down the stomach) ops which I think take a lot longer to heal

carleena
30-03-2010, 15:56
2 weeks - I waited until I could put my foot on the brake without feeling any pain.

There is no problem with insurance either.

soon to be mum of 4
30-03-2010, 16:00
I drove myself home after both my c/sections!! This time i have a new and improved husband :) so I am sure he will want to be with us when we leave!!!

oleander
30-03-2010, 16:01
I drove home from the hospital 3 days after the cesarean.

babylove81
30-03-2010, 16:01
6 weeks... I wanted to make sure I was good to go with no setbacks, so I chose to wait the full 6 weeks (I probably could have driven sooner, but elected to wait it out). I am fortunate in the fact that DH only works around the corner from our home, so he could come home whenever I needed him to drive me somewhere... I do agree though, cabin fever can get a bit too much!!! I really truly think it is also a psychological thing as well... I was also told by my ob and midwife 6 weeks... in saying that my neighbour had a C-section and she was driving @ 2 weeks... I think it depends on how you feel too, if you have a manual or automatic and just generally how bored you are! :laughing:

second time mumma
30-03-2010, 16:09
I drove after about 2 weeks, pretty much the same as what everyone else has said as long as you check with your insurance, and you can slam the brakes on if need be then I was told I could drive.

zephani
30-03-2010, 16:56
I drove 3 weeks after my c-section. We asked the Dr about the driving when we were leaving and he said there was no time frame. As long as you can slam your foot in an emergency situation you are fine.

EBEAR
30-03-2010, 17:10
Hi

I drove the day after I got out of hospital. I checked with my ob and he said that if I felt up to it it should be fine.

It was only short local trips but was great to get out and about.

xx

kuddles
30-03-2010, 20:11
I forgot to say why I left it for 6 weeks.
I felt up to driving and fine but we decided that it was too much of a risk. If for some reason I needed to brake in an emergency than I didn't want to do serious damage. I wasn't worried about my driving more the other idiot drivers on the road not paying attention.

HelenHasTwins
30-03-2010, 20:15
I waited 6 weeks...wasn't really going anywhere much with the twins before that anyway.

Kattus
30-03-2010, 21:14
It was 3 weeks for me. I just moved my seat a bit closer to the wheel in case I needed to slam on the brakes I wasn't stretching my leg out too far to have to do it! :)

Josh
30-03-2010, 21:28
my 1st c/s I drove after 2 wks
my 2nd c/s drove after 3 wks
my 3rd c/s drove after 5 wks

Georgias Mummy
30-03-2010, 21:42
I rang AAMI and they said it was just in the old days C sections are so common now it was fine no need to wait 6 week. I think Drs say 6 weeks as if your in a accident your seat belt will lock in right across your wound. This can be very dangerous obviously for you. So I guess its a personal thing how safe you feel.

bubbies4me
30-03-2010, 21:57
3.5 weeks and that was only coz DH had an eye infection and I had to drive him to the city to the eye and ear hospital. If it wasnt for that i wouldnt have drive til 6 weeks.

sam's mum
30-03-2010, 21:59
6 weeks both times.

the first time I probably could have, but I didn't NEED to, so I didn't.

the second time I don't think I could have. after a week I was still struggling to roll over in bed. I can certainly understand the difference in recovery time between the different cs methods.