PDA

View Full Version : Child support and payments from centrelink

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 10:02
Does Grant need to be paying child support for me to get single parent payment off Centrelink and also, do we have to go through CSA or can he just pay me privatly like put money into my bank account or give me money each month/week or whatever?

Thankyou.

Freya
03-03-2010, 10:05
You have to make a claim to receive full family tax benefit A & B but not for the parenting payment. You can choose to collect privately after you put a claim through though.

overitand36
03-03-2010, 10:06
you need to get an assesment from CSA but how the money is actually paid to you is up to you

centrelink will only pay the base rate of any entitlements if you do not get an assesment done

ring the family section or look on the website its all explained well

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 10:43
Ok thanks ladies. :)

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 11:06
How much is the base rate compared to if I was getting child support?

Freya
03-03-2010, 11:10
How much is the base rate compared to if I was getting child support?

I'm not sure but I think you get about $200 less per fortnight.. Considering the PPS and FTB are already hard to survive on that is a lot.

Why are you not wanting to claim child support?

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 11:54
Its not that I don't want to but I am moving out for a little while, me and Grant aren't going to break up just take a break for a while so still be together just not live together and was wondering if/how much single parent payment I can get and not have him pay child support while we're technically still in a relationship (but not living together) cos I don't think it's fair on him. I am happy if he was to pay me privatly and agree on an ammout we're both happy with each week/fortnight like maybe $100 or something.

Fuchsia!
03-03-2010, 12:22
Its not that I don't want to but I am moving out for a little while, me and Grant aren't going to break up just take a break for a while so still be together just not live together and was wondering if/how much single parent payment I can get and not have him pay child support while we're technically still in a relationship (but not living together) cos I don't think it's fair on him. I am happy if he was to pay me privatly and agree on an ammout we're both happy with each week/fortnight like maybe $100 or something.

Hun if you are in a relationship you can't get single parenting payment. Well i don't think you can. You have to be actually split up.

JabberJaw
03-03-2010, 12:26
Hun if you are in a relationship you can't get single parenting payment. Well i don't think you can. You have to be actually split up.

:yes: you can, as long as you dont reside at the same place and stuff. I was on it while hubby sorted his crap out, he lived with his mum, i stayed in our house.

We were together for sometime as boyfriend/girlfriend too, again i lived at my own place, him at his.

You have to be independant though IYKWIM, like cant be paying each others bills and whatnot.

With us, i payed mine, he paid his. He paid board to his mum, i paid my own rent. He stayed over a couple of nights and i also stayed at his house once a week.

JabberJaw
03-03-2010, 12:28
Oh and you need 1-2 non family members to confirm you situation.
It will take at least 14 days for your pay to be changed from PPP to SPP, they will backdate from the day you move...IF you tell them straight away, you will also need to see CS to see how much you are entitled to but you can have a private arrangement.

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 12:50
So I still need to lodge forms for child support either way?

We will be living apart, he will stay here and pay bills (they're already in his name anyway) I will be paying for board at in-law's place as well as occasional care, speech pathogist and kinder (we'd be going halves in that each term). We would have separate bank accounts, everything separate really. He would be paying mortgage too like now. Its pretty much what we're doing now expect we wouldn't be living together. We already pay different things each anyway.

JabberJaw
03-03-2010, 12:59
If you dont claim for child support, they wont pay you. Basically just go see them, see what you are entitled to and tell them you are happy to have a private arrangement. Even if he give you more than they say, thats ok. Or even paying half of fees on stuff is ok for CS if you have a private arrangement.

Me and my EX have a private arrangment, he never really gives me money, but he gives his DD money weekly, pays for her school stuff, brought her computer etc etc. So i am happy with it like that.

Maia
03-03-2010, 13:00

If you are still in a relationship then you arent meant to get PPS. Its not done on just how often you see one another and if you live in different houses. Otherwise anyone with a partner working away would be entitled to PPS. If you are still seen by your community as in a relationship but living seperately then you are not in fact single. Talk to Centrelink about it because I would hate for you to claim and then for it to come back and bite you on the butt later and have a debt with them for doing the wrong thing by accident.

MummaBear03
03-03-2010, 13:00
PPS is $572/fn. I'm guess for 3 kids, and not claiming CS you'd get (roughly) $350/fn in FTB. But they'd give you the full amount for a period of time, I think 13 weeks, then cut it back to base rate if you haven't made any attempts at claiming CS. You'd get (roughly) $590/fn in FTB.

MummaBear03
03-03-2010, 13:06
If you are still in a relationship then you arent meant to get PPS. Its not done on just how often you see one another and if you live in different houses. Otherwise anyone with a partner working away would be entitled to PPS. If you are still seen by your community as in a relationship but living seperately then you are not in fact single. Talk to Centrelink about it because I would hate for you to claim and then for it to come back and bite you on the butt later and have a debt with them for doing the wrong thing by accident.

There's another member on here who was asking about the cost of living on PPS because she was wanting to move out of her mum's house (for good reason) but not move in with her DF. She was on full Centrelink payments for a single parent. I questioned it in that thread and was assured it was all legal, but it doesn't seem legal so I agree with the above and check it all out first, the last thing you want is a huge centrelink debt and for them to say you committed or attempted fraud.

JabberJaw
03-03-2010, 13:09

So what you are saying while you are living apart from your partner you arent entitled to a payment Pfft.

OP go chat to centrelink, tell them your intentions, that you are taking a break and sorting your relationship out. Because, you are entitled to a payment from them.

As a single parent, you ARE allowed to have a relationship. Your partner cant live with you nor support you (other than CS of course)

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 13:19
Yeah I don't want to do anything dodgy and pay back money. I am getting $530 a f/n now and while I'm staying at in-laws I guess it wouldn't be too bad as I'd only be paying board anyway or money for food for me and the kids, I would still have to live tightly though but if/when I get my own place then I'd def need more money, I could look at getting a job but having three kids in daycare would be expensive, plus I am not ready to go back to work just yet.

Crazyfamily
03-03-2010, 14:09
you are definately allowed to claim pps if you are not living with your partner but you are in a relationship. I am doing it right now and i was totally honest with centrelink. I have a baby with my partner but at the time of having her we were not together. Since then our relationship has grown into something special. BUT i have other children and so does he so we will not just jump into living together. As long as you really do live apart and both pay your own expenses you can do it. You do need to put in a claim for child support but can collect it privately if you like. I do not believe i am doing anything wrong either, for me having him move in before we know for sure how we feel would be wrong for all the kids so i am more than happy to do this for now.

TripleTime
03-03-2010, 14:19
Centrelink are having a crack down. Anyone who is seen to be receiving emotional support from someone other than a blood relative is considered to be in a relationship.

Cassie - Your best bet is to go & speak to CL. You dont need it to come back & bit you on the bum later.

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 14:41
What do you mean by emotional support? Do you mean from my in-laws? Grant wouldn't be emotionally supporting me.

ConfettiGirl
03-03-2010, 14:42
You do need to be careful about claiming PPS while you are still in a relationship with Grant.

Centrelink have their own rules for determining who is "single" and who is "in a relationship" and it doesn't really have anything to do with whether you live together or not. They take things like emotional support and whether family, friends, society in general consider you guys to be a couple.

They will also take into account whether you have a sexual relationship with him (but this is by no means the decider - as single parents are allowed to have sex without being in relationship). Even moreso they will take into account whether you guys have a mutually exclusive relationship (ie do you have sex with other people or just that one person, do you do that because you feel an obligation to be exclusive to that person?).

They will also take into consideration how much tme you guys spend together and whether you do jobs for each other (cook dinner, fix the other person's car etc) and how often you do those things for one another.

You can "separate" from Grant and recieve the PPS but I certainly wouldn't say to centrelink "we are technically still in a relationship" because then you wont get PPS. Because whether YOU see yourself as in a relationship or not is one of the biggest deciders.

Single parents ARE allowed to have sex, to have boyfriends etc but being "in a relationship" with the father of your children as apposed to just "dating" is a different kettle of fish entirely. Dating and being in a relationship are two different things and centrelink ARE cracking down (as a PP said). If you think it's ridiculous that grant shouldn't have to pay child support because you guys are still together and because he is presumably still going to foot the bill for certain things then that would indicate to centrelink that you guys are in fact in a relationship.

Just be careful because centrelink are now not only demanding for the money to be paid back but they are actively pursuing fraud cases more than ever - in hopes to make an example of these people to other people who think about rorting the system.

ConfettiGirl
03-03-2010, 14:52
Oh and of course it would be in your best interest to seek advice directly from centrelink - but make sure to ask a few people and not just one person as you will get a different answer each time.

Whether you are in a relationship or not is a discretionary decision that centrelink makes and each person making a decision might see your case differently so while one might say "yeah you can get pps" another might later look at your file and go "nope, definitely in a relationship" and one click of a computer key and you are being told that you have a huge debt!

Just make sure that there is nothing ambiguous about your decision and not only are you entitled to the payment but are CLEARLY entitled!

People DO get caught out all the time and just because a few people on a parenting forum have said that they have done it with no problems, doesn't necessarily mean that will be the case with you.

I would have said that yeah you could get PPS easy UNTIL you said "we are still in a relationship". Not "we might start dating again but taking it slowly" but "we are in a relationship". Centrelink hear that and they will NOT grant you PPS.

If you say that are going to slowly start dating again and testing the waters they will most likely be ok with this. So maybe consider the wording you use on your application?

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 15:17
Basically we'd be paying what we both pay now. He'd be paying mortgage and the bills here (there in his name), plus groceries for himself, I'd be paying occasional care, calisthenics, speech path and we'd be going halves in kinder fees (though on ssp that's free anyway I think). We won't be doing any jobs or whatever for each other. I am not even thinking about having sex with Grant or with someone else. Not even on my mind. I guess it would be like dating (with the potential of breaking up lol)

TripleTime
03-03-2010, 15:18
What do you mean by emotional support? Do you mean from my in-laws? Grant wouldn't be emotionally supporting me.

If you are in a relationship, he is emotionally supporting you. If his not emotionally supporting you, you arent in a relationship.

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 15:45
How though? We wouldn't be seeing one another (apart from when I drop the kids off here), he wouldn't be paying for anything for me. When I told him I was thinking about staying at il's place for a while he said "it makes no difference to me, I go to work and come home like normal"

Idonttrustjelly
03-03-2010, 16:17
... When I told him I was thinking about staying at il's place for a while he said "it makes no difference to me, I go to work and come home like normal"

Can I say it doesn't even sound like you guys will be/are in a relationship anymore. It sounds more like a deal or something.
But I get what everyone is saying, just be careful. You don't need any extra headaches :hugs:

xx J

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 16:37
Yeah I get what you mean. All I have said to him is I need some time away but haven't mentioned breaking up or thinking about breaking up, though I know he knows I want to. All I wanna do atm is get away from him and just think about stuff.

Idonttrustjelly
03-03-2010, 16:51
I know how you feel... I know this may not be appropriate to say, but I kind of envy your position... if I left now, even for space, I can't take my kids without a fight and traumatizing them :( ... so here I stay, until I know I'm 100% sure and ready for that fight.

I'know you don't like what's happened to you, so please don't take offense to what I've just said.

I hope you're dealing with everything ok :hugs:

xx J

ConfettiGirl
03-03-2010, 17:43
Well by the sounds of it you guys wont be in a relationship at all? YOu wont be doing anything that people in a relationship do except for maybe the exclusivity issue. Is Grant free to have sex with another person if he chooses? Are you free to date other people as well? (not whether you WILL or not but would it be ok for you to do so or would it be classed as "cheating"?

If the answer is yes you can date other people and no it wouldn't strictly be cheating then you guys are not in a relationship. If the relationship is exclusive then it may b considered as a relationship by centrelink legislation. One of the biggest factors they consider is the "exclusivity" factor. I could go out with 5 guys all at once and not be in a relationship with any of them...they could be giving me money and fixing things around the house but because I am not exclusively with any of them I can't possibly be "in a relationship". Even if you don't date 5 guys at once.....it's whether you CAN or not which is what centrelink consider. Are you mutually bonded to this person? Etc etc The other person also has to see the relationship as exclusive as well though.

When filling out the form you will be asked a question similar to "do you feel as though you are in a relationship with X?" Answer with "no" because a "yes" answer will mean you wont get approved for PPS.

The above is a guide only and was told to me by a very experience centrelink employee, it isn't of course applicable to every circumstance and of course there are exceptions to the rule but when trying to figure out if you are in a relationship according to centrelink the above is a pretty good rule to follow. People in "open" relationships can still be considered to be in a defacto relationship if they live with another person full-time and combine bills etc so the rule isn't set in stone.

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 17:49
I have no idea. I guess it would be classed as cheating as we'd only be on a break though I doubt he'd do that anyway cos he doesn't have time and when he's not at work he's in front of the tv. I wouldn't be having sex or anything either (I've never been one to have a one-night stand though)

Benji
03-03-2010, 18:16
Cassie you will need to claim child support. Can I just say something in relation to this thread AND your other one?

You really NEED to stop thinking about him. "Grant says this is ok".. who cares what Grant thinks!!!! He obviously doesn't think about you and those beautiful children of yours, you just can't see it yet.

I GUARANTEE you (I had a very similar relationship with my ex) in a few weeks you will be so over living off 2 minute noodles that you will have no choice but to claim child support.. not to mention you will see how much better you all are without him.

Stuff him!! Claim what you are entitled to. Child support is calculated at such a pathetic amount and, from what I've read about him, he's unlikely to pay it anyway.

Just please, please start thinking of yourself and the kids and stop worrying about what he says and thinks because he has made it clear he doesn't care! He will be better off financially paying child support and not having you all in the house anyway.

I hope you see things clearly soon, I really do. You're a lovely girl. You just need your confidence back :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Fuchsia!
03-03-2010, 18:29
Cassie you will need to claim child support. Can I just say something in relation to this thread AND your other one?

You really NEED to stop thinking about him. "Grant says this is ok".. who cares what Grant thinks!!!! He obviously doesn't think about you and those beautiful children of yours, you just can't see it yet.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Agree!

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 18:55
If we do child support privatly, later on if sh!t hits the fan (say if he decides he doesn't want to pay) can I then go through csa or does it have to be privatly from start to finish. I hope that makes sense.

Maia
03-03-2010, 19:11
You can change it later. If you think he wont pay then you might be better to get CSA to collect on your behalf as then when he doesnt pay it to you he is racking up his debt with them already. Otherwise I believe you have to prove to csa that he hasnt being paying privately and I dont think they will chase him for it.

Freya
03-03-2010, 19:32
I have friends who have great relationships with their partners but they both live at home with their parents and they have a claim with CS... They have a private agreement aswel.. Really there is no reason why not to put a claim through unless you are scared of his reaction? Which you shouldn't be considering he cares nothing for you and your children.

MummaBear03
03-03-2010, 19:36
If we do child support privatly, later on if sh!t hits the fan (say if he decides he doesn't want to pay) can I then go through csa or does it have to be privatly from start to finish. I hope that makes sense.

My mother had a private agreement with my father, for my little brother, and she was never able to recoup the money owed from when it was a private collection. Then he quit his job when it was to go through CSA and started to work cash in hand until my little bro was 18 and out of school (which was only 2 years) then went back to high paid work :rolleyes:

I do not advocate a private collection for this reason alone, unless the amount of child support equals another amount, like school fees or something, and he agrees to have that particular account in his name. That way if he doesn't pay, he's chased up for it.

Benji
03-03-2010, 19:39
You can start off privately and then switch to them collecting on your behalf - however, if he screws you over they can't collect anything owing. Can only start from the date you request the changeover.

Amara
03-03-2010, 19:54
The first question you will be asked is have you broken up? One of your posts here says you haven't. You have to be split to get pps. If you split and then get back together you have to tell them.

As others have said if you are seen by others to be in a relationship centre link can deem you to be partnered. You will need to have 2 or 3 non family members fill in a form that asks when you split up, how they found out, why the split happened and if they think you could reconcile. They then make a decision based on their answers. If one doesnt send the form back you will have your pps suspended. I had this happen. The forms are quite invasive.

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 20:58
Ok thanks everyone. I still don't know whats happening tomorrow. I will claim through csa I think it would be a better idea. How much percentage of his wage is it?

Amara
03-03-2010, 21:23
They prefer you to do it privately. They try to not get involved in collecting unless there are issues of some sort.

mum2bubba
03-03-2010, 21:49
Oh ok, I didn't know that. I am happy to go private as long as we can both agree on a set amount but as others have said if sh!t hits the fan and he doesn't pay then I don't get back-payed.

Veritas
03-03-2010, 22:15
Oh ok, I didn't know that. I am happy to go private as long as we can both agree on a set amount but as others have said if sh!t hits the fan and he doesn't pay then I don't get back-payed.

I wasn't told of any preference for private collection, so I'd say go with what you are most comfortable with.....

Freya
03-03-2010, 22:37
When you put the claim through I think they asses his situation and will give you an amount, once you choose to go private though that amount can obviously change to what you both decide on.

Amara
04-03-2010, 06:23
When I applied I was told to collect it myself they only took over when he stopped paying. He was already having payment deductions from his wages for another child but I was still told I had to try collecting it myself first. When it didnt work they started deducting for me too.

MummaBear03
04-03-2010, 07:30
When I applied I was told to collect it myself they only took over when he stopped paying. He was already having payment deductions from his wages for another child but I was still told I had to try collecting it myself first. When it didnt work they started deducting for me too.

I was never told that at any time, nor was my mum. I have gone through CSA from the start, and no they haven't been aware of any issues with collecting or anything else, all they have on their records is that he was supposed to pay for the first part of DD's life, til she was 1.5, then there was an exemption in place for the next 5 years, now there is no exemption in place so they are collecting. When my mum was burnt she was told by CSA that what she went through is the reason they don't agree with private agreements, and would prefer to be able to collect from the start and have a record of that collection. They told her it can get very messy with a private agreement. They told her that at the start too, but my father said he wouldn't pay anything if she went through CSA so she did it privately for him.

Amara
04-03-2010, 07:49
I think like a lot of govt things it depends who you get when you initially make the phone call. I was basically told I had to try it first. Others may be luckier. It was no issue to get them to deduct from his wages either but I know lots of women who have not been able to get Csa to do this for them.