PDA

View Full Version : Girls and boys bathing together

MummaBear03
09-01-2010, 09:51
Was at my mum's place last week and she had visitors over. The ad for Gelli Baff came on and this visitor said it's wrong to show an ad with a boy and a girl in the bath together. I looked closer and said the little girl has togs on, even in the bath, and they later had them in the pool with the stuff. She said boys and girls should not bath together at the ages those kids are.

What do you think? Should boys and girls bath together? Up to what age is it acceptable?

Mathermy
09-01-2010, 10:30
So long is everyone involved is comfortable, I'm comfortable!:)

I think some adults forget that they are looking at male/female interaction from an adult lens, children are in most cases innocent and comfortable around each other until those pesky adults become involved and fill their minds with all sorts of troublesome things/ or exposed to innappropriateness.

DD still bathes with her father, she's 5 he's 30! :p Infact most of the time I'm in there too perched on the loo because I don't want to miss out on all the fun! If there was room for the three of us we would probably all be in there!:laughing:

we are a bunch of shameless nudies!:p

MummaBear03
09-01-2010, 10:43
I've never had a problem with it.

I had 5 children in the house for 3 months a year ago, I often had the 2 youngest in together, they just happened to be both boys, and the 2 girls were both aged 5 (mine and the other one) so they bathed together, and the older boy liked his privacy by then, even at the age of 7.

Sometimes I'd have a shower and the toddler would end up in with me, so the 3 year old boy would have a shower with the 2 girls. They were all little so could all fit in together.

I didn't like them actually being in the tub together, but that's because one of them was prone to UTIs and I was told that bathing kids together, or using anything in the water (like bubble bath and I suppose this gelli baff) would increase the chance of a UTI. They often did shower though.

There were times when I had DD and the toddler in the shower with me, then I'd hop out and the 3 year old would jump in. The 5 year old and 7 year old (boy/girl) would then shower together, but the 7 year old definately preferred to have his own time in there lol.

I'd never really thought of the combination until now, because I was looking at them as small children. I guess it's different as they get older, I wouldn't have had DD in the shower with the young boy if they were teens :laughing: but at 3 and 5 I didn't see any problem at all with it.

Theophania
09-01-2010, 10:54
I am a little strange about it I suppose. I think when they are really little maybe its ok but I would not bath boy/girl after about 4/5. In saying that I am due for a girl in May and will have a 16mo boy then but I won't ever be bathing them together. I know it is all innocent but I have my reasons for it. I also don't think boys and girls should share bedrooms either but thats just me :p

blissfullybonkers
09-01-2010, 11:40
When i was a child my parents were sarong wearing hippies and nudity has never been considered anything out of the norm to us, so when i was a kid(5 til about 9) i used to bath with my little brother and sister(they were baby/toddler age)and also my best friend and her little brother(he was toddler age also) when we went for sleep overs! I think were i grew up it has always been a big deal to save water aswell.
I have no problem with kids bathing with others kids/siblings or their parents-not a big deal to me. Everyone is different though :)

WorkingClassMum
09-01-2010, 11:46
pfft - I reckon while they all don't mind it doesn't matter.

DD & DS bathed togather up until DS was 6ish and DD 4ish and we only stopped 'cos they both physically couldn't fit comfortably anymore and started fighting (DD always wants to lie down).

My kids shared a double bed until DS was 6ish and DD 4ish.

My kids are very close emotionally, they are quite good friends and nothing untoward has ever happened.

crazymuma
09-01-2010, 12:29
Its only seen as rude/sexual in adults eyes - not the childs - unless you make it.

My kids (boy 5 & girl 2) bath together - they also share the bath with there male cousins (3,6,8) and with their female cousins ( 2, 3,9) - and will continue to do so until they either hit puberty or become uncomfortable.

Oh and I shower with them as well!!

Rheanna
09-01-2010, 12:40
well with family i think its fine untill they are uncomftable or want their own baths/showers.
with close friends and relos id probly not be so comfy after 7 yrs.
my girls only ever bath together so far so i havent really thaught about it

emmwill
09-01-2010, 12:43
My three all tub together. DD1 does not as much now as she is very tall and it was all getting a little cramped.

I have no problem with it. I have a family of rudie nudies. I am forever telling them to get dressed.

Deserama
09-01-2010, 13:36
Not after the age of 5 or so...no.

Veritas
09-01-2010, 13:47
To be honest, if it's inappropriate sexual exploration that you are worried about at a young age with kids bathing together, then I don't see the difference between whether they are same sex or opposite sexes bathing together....

For me it would be a case by case basis, how well I knew the family, are they relatives, close friends, new friends, etc....

And ultimately, it would come down to what DD was comfortable with.... and how comfortable I felt instinctually about the situation.....

Nudity and body parts are no biggy in this house, but in saying that it is just me and her, no males or other females.... so we don't have exposure to anyone elses nakedness....

TripleTime
09-01-2010, 14:34
Happens every night in this house & will untill they don't fit anymore or they say no.

sockstealingpoltergeist
09-01-2010, 14:45
I don't understand why it would be an issue, untill they say they don't want bath with people of the opposite sex.

Children arn't sexual and it's nonsense to suggest it's innapropriate.

Theophania
09-01-2010, 16:24
I don't understand why it would be an issue, untill they say they don't want bath with people of the opposite sex.

Children arn't sexual and it's nonsense to suggest it's innapropriate.

I think it is far from nonsense to suggest it is inappropriate. I myself have my own reasons why I wouldn't do it. But I am not going to sit here and tell people who do bath their children together that they are being inappropriate just because that is my point of view. You may be comfortable with doing it however it is also ok for people to be uncomfortable to do it and I don't think they should be made to feel silly for feeling that way.

Leisa21
09-01-2010, 16:29
As long as everyone is comfortable I don't think it matters. I'm always naked, I think it's completely natural. I used to have bath and showers with my brother and sister until my brother was about 8 maybe. We never had issues being naked together. Probably why I don't have any hang ups. We were all getting ready for my brothers wedding in October and I walked in on my Dad naked. I was expecting him to jump but he made a joke I laughed and left. It's only awkward and uncomfortable if you've got hang ups.

In saying that whenever my child is uncomfortable it will stop. I hope not though because I do a lot of cooking naked in summer - it's so bloomin hot!

SassyMummy
09-01-2010, 16:36
I dunno when I stopped bathing with my brother - we probably still had the odd bath together when I was 6/7 and him 5/6.

europa
09-01-2010, 17:10
I am a little strange about it I suppose. I think when they are really little maybe its ok but I would not bath boy/girl after about 4/5.

I also don't think boys and girls should share bedrooms either but thats just me :p

My thought as well.
(sorry, too lazy to type :o).

bumMum
09-01-2010, 19:04
i say nudity is good and who cares! kids are kids. they don't really think about sex until like.. 10 or 11.. ??and even then.. it's not really like they are thinking about it the way adults are.. and even THEN.. they are not thinking about brothers and sisters in that way.. unless the family is seriously dysfunctional!!!!!

i will have showers with my son for as long as he is ok with it. I remember the exact moment i became uncomfortable being naked infront of parents and siblings.. the day I found pubic hair!!! then I made the choice to be self conscious for a while. the i grew up and became comfortable with my body.. all kids will obviously go through those awkward changing years where they will hide away but i don't see the need to make an issue of nudity etc etc. so not needed. much better to be comfortable with your own body!

becca022
10-01-2010, 19:09
I bath my 4 year old ds & 15 month old dd together. I'll probably have to stop soon though because we've only got a small bath & it's getting cramped in there. They both love it though & I don't have any issues about it.