PDA

View Full Version : Are you covered if you use an Ambulance (or have one called for you)

*Cj*
16-11-2009, 21:09
After talking about using an Ambulance in a thread it got me thinking.

Do you think Medicare cover's the Ambulance bill?

Do you know what happens in your State/Territory if
you us an Ambulance?

Like who pays the bill?
How much does it cost?
What are you covered for?

I thought it would be interesting to see what people know.

MsMummy
16-11-2009, 21:14
I'm in Queensland. Everybody with an electricty account pays an ambulance levy.

I think that means you don't have to pay if you call an ambulance. But I think they can charge you (or fine you) if you call one without good reason. (not sure though). Apparently people call them for all sorts of wacky reasons.

It must be different in other states because on my private health insurance statement, there's provision for ambulance cover but that bit doesn't apply in Queensland.

I've been lucky enough never to have to call one.

Theophania
16-11-2009, 21:15
I myself am in QLD, and we pay an Ambulance levy on our electricity bills so all charges should be covered for everyone.... I think lol

Whispers
16-11-2009, 21:15
I am pretty sure our ambulance levy on our electricity bill pays for the bill if we need a ambulance. I am in Qld.

CheekyChicken
16-11-2009, 21:19
I'm in NSW and you have to organise your own coverage privately through a health insurance company. I hadn't been covered for nearly 10 years :eek: but went and got coverage while I was pregnant (in case I fainted and someone called an ambulance- or worse). If I were to need an ambulance I'd be paying- usually around $200 but if you need a helicopter it could be a lot more.

It is definitely worthwhile making sure you're covered.

NonnyMouse
16-11-2009, 21:23
I'm also in QLD, but as far as I'm aware you only get a "free" ambo (i,.e. covered by the ambulance cover on your power bill) if it's an accident, not an illness.

So, a car crash or falling off a roof is covered, but appendicitis or asthma attack isn't.

Myztiks#1Fan
16-11-2009, 21:25
another queenslander here. i have used an ambulance several times and have never been charged at all. from what i know off, all ambulances are free in qld

Miss_N
16-11-2009, 21:26
That makes sense Nonny! I'm in qld and don't pay elec bcoz I live in an edu dept house. But when DF and I rolled our car earlier in the year we called 000 got 2 ambulances, 2 police cars and 2 fire trucks sent out to us but never got a bill!

NonnyMouse
16-11-2009, 21:31
I just checked and am happy to be wrong. :-)

The only time you may pay is if you use the ambo for transport between home and hospital or public to private hospital when it is not urgent, and then your private insurance may cover it.

http://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/subscribe/faq.asp

ETA - the rules I was thinking of are the ones that applied in NZ when I lived there.

Myztiks#1Fan
16-11-2009, 21:33
i dont think QLD has to pay. after seeing the amount of people being taken away in them on weekends for too much drinking/ drug use and myself having used them many times and even used for coop only coz we had no other way to get to childrens hospital at 2am we have never recieved a bit

maisymum
16-11-2009, 21:38
We are in WA and you have to take out your own PHI cover for Ambulance........We took out a GU Health policy it said you are covered for Ambulance emergency...........I called the ambulance twice though my last pregnancy as i had a few problems and the pain was through the roof ( and hubby works away) anyway i thought we would of been covered but NO we were sent 2 $ 604 bills :eek: ( not covered at all by Medicare).....and we only live less than 10 minutes away from hospital. I took it up with the health fund and they said they only cover Emergencies......I thought it was one i was in that much dam pain! :crying: any way they class emergency as a "Code 1 " which means not breathing or non responsive...........so you have to read the fine print to see what you are really covered for! :hair:.....Since then we have taken extra cover out with Medibank Private just for the Ambulance side of things.........it's only another $57 for the yr for the whole family and covers non life threatening things as well ( if DS broke his arm and i was unable to drive him myself to the hospital)..........We learnt the hard way!

~BEXTER~
16-11-2009, 21:43
I have never had to use one but my friend had a Epileptic Seizure and someone called one for her.
They came had a look and she was fine and she got a bill in the mail for over $650-

I have been seeing adds lately where you can get cover for it for like $20 a month, so that would be a good investment.

My friend lives in Sydney

I think it is a great idea to have it through the electricty bill

MummaBear03
16-11-2009, 21:47
I'm in NSW and you have to organise your own coverage privately through a health insurance company. I hadn't been covered for nearly 10 years :eek: but went and got coverage while I was pregnant (in case I fainted and someone called an ambulance- or worse). If I were to need an ambulance I'd be paying- usually around $200 but if you need a helicopter it could be a lot more.

It is definitely worthwhile making sure you're covered.

Before it came in where it was covered on the power bill in Qld, it was a once a year fee of around $70 for ambulance cover, but that was a lot of years ago now. It wasn't through any private health, i've never had private health insurance.

I had one called out for illness and it was at no charge.

The Fox
16-11-2009, 21:47
The TAC pays for the ambulance in all road accidents, regardless of which state you live in
The TAC will also pay for your ambulance if you are on the road when you require it, say for instance you had a heart attack on the road

Not alot of people no this but the TAC will also pay for the funeral if you were to die on the road

here in VIC you dont have to pay for the ambulance if you dont go in it (i think) or if you have a health care card (i think) otherwise its $200 (i think lol) i think alot hehe

When i was 3 i was air lifted to hospital from my house and this was many many years ago, it cost my parents thousands

Amara
16-11-2009, 21:54
The QLD system seems a little weird. So what happens if your electricity has been cut off for non payment & you happen to need an ambulance - do they cover you still? What about people in share houses - if the electricity bill is not in your name are you still covered? What about people living in boarding houses & caravan parks etc who don't get directly billed for electricity?

I'm in Vic & here if you have a health care card you don't have to pay for ambulances. Everyone else has to. You can either be covered for it through PHI or you can be an ambulance member & you pay a yearly fee. I've been a member since I was 18 but gave it up recently as I now have a HCC.

Several years ago a workmate got really bad burns due to a cooking fire at home & had to be airlifted to a hospital from one suburb in Melb to another one & it cost thousands. He was not covered by anything as he didn't have a HCC, PHI or a membership. We had a fund raiser to enable him to pay the bill.

NonnyMouse
16-11-2009, 22:12
The QLD system seems a little weird. So what happens if your electricity has been cut off for non payment & you happen to need an ambulance - do they cover you still? What about people in share houses - if the electricity bill is not in your name are you still covered? What about people living in boarding houses & caravan parks etc who don't get directly billed for electricity?

Check out the link I posted earlier. You only have to be a Qld resident, not a bill-payer at all. The power bill is just how the community in general funds this service, you don't pay personally for your own "membership" to it. Everyone who resides in Qld can use it.

*Cj*
16-11-2009, 22:17
[QUOTE=Amara;4242430]The QLD system seems a little weird. So what happens if your electricity has been cut off for non payment & you happen to need an ambulance - do they cover you still? Yes I think they would still have cover as every one in QLD has cover since it come in.

What about people in share houses - if the electricity bill is not in your name are you still covered? Yes you have cover It doesn't have to be in your name, you don't even have to have your name on the bill.

What about people living in boarding houses & caravan parks etc who don't get directly billed for electricity? Yes every one has cover as long as you can show that you have proof of residency in QLD. That can even be a A statutory declaration.

MsMummy
16-11-2009, 22:18
The Queensland system is quite fantastic, really.

I imagine it works out better for the government as well. Can you imagine having to recover ambulance fees as debts from people with no money? It would cost a fortune and there would be a lot that wouldn't be recoverable.

Myztiks#1Fan
16-11-2009, 22:30

I imagine it works out better for the government as well. Can you imagine having to recover ambulance fees as debts from people with no money? It would cost a fortune and there would be a lot that wouldn't be recoverable.

i know for a fact i wouldnt of been able to afford them. i think the QLD system is great

Beckybug
16-11-2009, 23:02
I'm lucky, I'm in Tassie and the ambulance is totally free. There was talk of a user pays system, but there was too much uproar over it. So the government backed down.

Pippi Longstocking
17-11-2009, 05:20

I agree. I am very grateful we have the levy system in place in Queensland, otherwise we'd still be paying off various bills. We have had countless ambulance call-outs over the years (including the time my son was stung by a box jellyfish, the time my daughter fell three metres and severely broke four bones, and my youngest son's heart condition meant that for a couple of years we had ambos coming out every month or so).

As parents, you can't hesitate because of the cost of making that call. If you need an ambulance, you need it and having to make a decision based on finances is potentially life-threatening.

I really think Queensland got this one right (omg, go Qld! First time for everything eh??! :p)

Sairz
17-11-2009, 06:34
Here in vic you will get charged a huge amount (sometimes up in the thousands depending) if you either don't have a health care card, or ambulance cover.
I have ambo cover for families which covers me, my dp and dd (and ds once I add him) it costs $120 a year.

MummyNanny
17-11-2009, 07:15
I'm in Victoria. We just got our annual reminder bill regarding ambulance cover, it's going up to $150 (was $120).

Years ago I needed an ambulance in the city, from King st to St Vinnies (2.5km) and was charged $350.

Ana Gram
17-11-2009, 09:18
I'm in Vic and should get it for free being on the SPP but I pay membership anyway. But I think that would only cover me in Vic.

Chickadee
17-11-2009, 10:18
here in VIC you dont have to pay for the ambulance if you dont go in it (i think) or if you have a health care card (i think) otherwise its $200 (i think lol) i think alot hehe

When i was 3 i was air lifted to hospital from my house and this was many many years ago, it cost my parents thousands

I'm in Victoria. We just got our annual reminder bill regarding ambulance cover, it's going up to $150 (was $120).

Years ago I needed an ambulance in the city, from King st to St Vinnies (2.5km) and was charged $350.
I looked into this recently, both for work (I'm first aid coordinator) and for personal. This is my understanding for VIC:

- There is no charge to call 000 and ask for an ambulance
- there is no charge by the paramedics to come and assess you
- there is no charge if ambulance transport to hospital is medically necessary
- the ambo's / paramedics are meant to advise you before they take you as to whether or not transport is medically necessary. You will be sent a bill if they say it is not necessary but you accept ambulance transport anyways (note I don't know if this applies to people with health cards).
- The bill for non-medically necessary transport may or may not be covered by your private health insurance depending on the terms of your policy. Or you can take out separate ambulance cover.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected!

Teegzie
17-11-2009, 10:30
I really think Queensland got this one right (omg, go Qld! First time for everything eh??! :p)

Poor old Qld has to have something going for it, it always seems to be the backwards state for everything else! :laughing:

We're also in Qld so are covered. But when we were in WA our private extras cover included ambulance for situations that weren't an emergency. My Mum also paid for myself and all of my siblings to have St Johns ambulance cover every year after one of her friends recieved a huge ambulance bill!

I never really thought about it, but does the St Johns ambulance membership cover you in other states?

Areca
17-11-2009, 13:09
We have cover through our PHI.
Good thing too cause we had to use them three times in a year.

HugsBunny
17-11-2009, 13:55
We're covered under our PHI - good thing too because we've called them a few times for DS1.

aliasmel
17-11-2009, 14:50
when my nan had some whack job come flying up behind her horse and cart and the horse spooked,took off smashed the cart to pieces and she hit the dirt and couldnt move,the hospital was 5 k's away and she got a $500 bill!

My partner we called an ambo when he was having severe chest pains and couldnt breath or move and we never got a bill?

Miaow
17-11-2009, 15:38
In Vic if you have a health care card then its free - if you don't it can cost a heap I had to get one once and was about 750 dollars and at the time wasnt on a HCC - they sent it to the wrong addy so never got the bill about 6 months later i had another company chasing me to get the money for the ambulance service so was extra :eek:

I think if you have private health insurance that you can claim back the cost of joining up with the ambulance service (i know i had that lots of years ago not sure if still applicable now) - I dont think you can actually claim the cost of an ambulance though?