PDA

View Full Version : Is Centrelink fraud the new norm?

Cicho
08-10-2009, 12:44
I am furious :hissy:

A good friend of my DH has met a woman on the net, and now she is moving states to be with him, which is fine... BUT...she gets the dole, doesn't want to work, and says she will continue to get the dole when she gets here, and live with her boyfriend who works.

*takes a deep breath* Now, I am ropeable.

This person is on the dole as a lifestyle choice. Just does not want to work. She has no children, is fit, healthy and in her mid 20's.

So DH's friend is over the other day, and I said "oh, I guess A will be getting a job, cos she wont be entitled to the dole" and he says, nah, she will still get it, she is going to tell Centrelink we are just mates :eek:

WTF :mad:

Oh, and he tells me another couple we know live together, woman gets SPP, man gets dole and does cash in hand work...

My blood is boiling over this :yes:

Is this the norm now? Am I missing something?

IMO these particular people are dead lazy.

End of rant :hissy:

Thanks for readling :laughing:

girly
08-10-2009, 12:47
I know so many people who rip off centrelink...:no:

Cicho
08-10-2009, 12:49
That is my point Shiraaa, is it the new norm?

I just don't get it........:no:

Makes me furious when DH and I struggle week to week :crying:

girly
08-10-2009, 12:51
The only reason I don't say anything is because I know their kids will suffer. Like when centrelink find out WHICH THEY ALWAYS DO!:D The kids will suffer because the parents have less money paying 1000's of $$$ back to centrelink..

I think everyone at some point(ok maybe not everyone but most People) rip them off atleast once, but some people just don't give a sh!t. Sad really.

MumNeedsCoffee
08-10-2009, 12:52
I've known people who have done this....

But I also know two people who have been caught, had to pay back all the benefits they were not entitled to which were massive amounts and faced fraud charges.

If you feel that strongly about it you call centrelink and tip them off

UmmInayah
08-10-2009, 12:56
My MIL is a correctional officer in a jail.

She said there was an 80 year old man in there serving time because he ripped off centrelink.

She asked him why he did it. He said that he wanted to be able to have some money for his wife when he died.

I feel sorry for him.

So I guess not everyone rips off centrelink to be complete jerks.

But, if you're so p!ssed off about it, why don't you report it or something? There has to be something you can do.

Otherwise, it's her choice.. Don't get involved unless you really feel like you have to.

And in all seriousness.. why do we always feel like we have to intrude on other people's lives. It's not like she is directly hurting anyone.

BoyCrazy
08-10-2009, 12:57
yup, you can call anonymously (sp) check out their website, am pretty sure they have all the details there.

sucks doesnt it!

even famous types rip off centrelink..remember AJ rochester from biggest loser (the host) she got caught and faced court etc for fraud.

DQ
08-10-2009, 12:59
:iagree: If you are furious enough about it, then I would tip off Centrelink. There is an anonymous on-line section where you can do that.

It makes me furious too. I could never do it though, I would always be looking over my shoulder waiting to be busted, and no doubt I would be eventually.

DH and I struggle from week to week too, but I know when we do make it to the end of each week, we did it on our own and didn't do it dishonestly or with someone elses help.

Karma will come back around eventually :yes:

Cicho
08-10-2009, 13:00
You know I feel sorry for this woman who is moving. How in earth anyone thinks that bringing in $225 a week whilst paying rent, food, utilities etc etc is living it up really has no idea about what is out there :(

She is moving here to live with her DH who earns good money working in security... she does not need it :no:

Plain greedy, thats all. And a massive sense of entitlement :yes:

DQ
08-10-2009, 13:03
You know I feel sorry for this woman who is moving. How in earth anyone thinks that bringing in $225 a week whilst paying rent, food, utilities etc etc is living it up really has no idea about what is out there :(

Yes I get that it is hard, but being dishonest and participating in illegal activities is not the answer :no:

Cicho
I am so angry because it seems to me that honesty gets me absolutely nowhere :yes:

But at least I can sleep at night I guess :yes:

MumNeedsCoffee
It's hard because some people really are desperate for money and might have no other choice but to lie about their living circumstances to get the extra cash just to get by. And when people are losing their homes, or not able to feed their families it's hard to judge them.

That's just like one of the people I know that got caught, they were in a terrible situation but they still got caught somehow and are now in an even worse situation.

But it's disgusting if someone just chooses to rip off centrelink because they are too lazy.

~BEXTER~
08-10-2009, 13:04
People just don't care and have a shi**y attitude.

I get single parent but I am a single parent and I work as much as I can when ever I can because I am sick of being look apon as a dole bludger.

My friends rip of the system and it ****es me off to the point where I dob them in. But nothing EVER happens.

I cant stand people ripping off the system it is there for people in need only not everyone who is to lazy to get up at 7am to go to work and EARN their money.

Cicho
08-10-2009, 13:05
This woman is perfectly capable of working.

She just doesnt want to :yes:

The last time I looked the dole wasnt a lifestyle choice

MummasPrinces
08-10-2009, 13:06
Unfortunately I think it is.... and personally with the amount of people who do it... I think it's too easy to do, and far too many people get away with it. :no:

SimplyMum
08-10-2009, 13:06
I know a few people who have frauded centrelink. 2 couples with the SPP and one of the same couples with the partner working cash in hand and getting the dole. The thing is, they STILL couldn't afford to live!

Quite frankly, I hate it. I think it's completely disgraceful and makes a mockery out of the system and the people actually struggling on these payments. But, perhaps my feelings are so strong on the subject because I've been the one struggling on these payments and working much harder to make ends meet the honest way.

But, in saying that- I can understand to some extent why they do it. I mean, who wants to work. I certainly don't. And the amount of money you lose from moving in with a new partner is outrageous- it's almost an incentive to not move in together. Than again, same could be said for stealing cause in effect that's what it is. Why would we pay for something we could have for free? Because that's the honest way and the repercussions for not doing it are too real.

I'd love for the people I know be caught, but really what is going to come out of that? It wont change their attitude, it'll be the kids that get hurt in the end.

FionaV
08-10-2009, 13:35
People who rip of Centrelink have more perseverance and patience than I would ever manage.

My oldest DD (who is 22) is currently out of work. She was living in an area of high unemployment, so has relocated and is still looking for work. For the last six weeks she has been doing the paperwork shuffle with Centrelink trying to convince them she has no real assets (a 12 year old car and clothes, basically) and is independent (she hasn't lived with us for nearly three years). She has another round of paperwork to give them today. We can't keep supporting her long distance for much longer, even if it's just petrol money (she's crashing with friends until she gets on her feet).

Of course, she can always come home, but we live on a property on the edge of a small town in the western part of New South Wales, and her employment prospects here are less than nil.

It beats me how people can get ON benefits, let alone stay on them when they aren't entitled!

Except for family allowances, this is my first ever experience with Centrelink, and it's been an eye-opener. As my husband says, "If they were efficient, they'd have real jobs".

WorkingClassMum
08-10-2009, 13:46
. It's not like she is directly hurting anyone.

YES she is. She is hurting so many people - you just can't see it.

So many people assume that it's OK to defraud CL, so the assumption is the all single mothers are sucking it out of the syetm, that all unemployed people are dole bludgers etc etc.

Read Mommabear03's thread - shes afraid to go on SSP and stop working for awhile 'cos of what people might think - and this scum-sucking womon is causing that exact hurt.

I do not begrudge any one government fiancial assistance, but I'm not working and paying $$$$$$$$$ in tax to support fraud.

If there wasn't this level of fraud, there'd be more to go around to those who are ENTITLED to assistance.

Maybe also my tax $$$$$$$$$ would be reduced and I could work less and see a bot more of my kids.

This woman, all govt assistance frauds and everyone who turns a blind eye is directly hurting me and my children and anyone who's ENTITLED for assistance.

They're nothing but leeches on society.

sandy cheeks
08-10-2009, 14:02
My mum works in public health and the stories she tells me I dont know how they do it with a straight face and if they can work out that stupid system (that even c/link empolyees find hard) why dont they get a job I think it would be alot less stressful c/link are stressful even when your doing the right thing lol.
One quick story a man with a brand new BMW name on health care card says Lok Tran but he looks very middle eastern she says this happens alot.
And the ones who have heaps of claims under different names how the hell to they remember all the details I struggle with different pins I have at the moment let alone a new alias.

UmmInayah
08-10-2009, 14:05
she is INDIRECTLY hurting people. Doesn't make it right, I know. But really, don't we ahve better things to worry about than someone who is stealing money? It's not like she is reaching into your pocket and taking all of your money. Okay so yeah, it's tax payers money, but the amount she is taking from you, would only be like 3 cents.

Maybe we should focus attention on people like child abuses etc. This woman isn't worth your time and effort.

sockstealingpoltergeist
08-10-2009, 14:08
I would never dob any one into centrelink, and I don't believe it is in anyones best interst if this woman becomes completey dependant on a man she barely knows.

DQ
08-10-2009, 14:18
she is INDIRECTLY hurting people. Doesn't make it right, I know. But really, don't we ahve better things to worry about than someone who is stealing money? It's not like she is reaching into your pocket and taking all of your money. Okay so yeah, it's tax payers money, but the amount she is taking from you, would only be like 3 cents.

Maybe we should focus attention on people like child abuses etc. This woman isn't worth your time and effort.

Hypothetically, if you were to be on a parenting pension, whether it be a single or partnered pension, and you were suddenly faced with the prospect of the Government reducing your pension as the numbers of other people who also receieved that pension were spiralling out of control, then yes, I think you would be more concerned.

WorkingClassMum
08-10-2009, 14:19
she is INDIRECTLY hurting people.

Sorry - but trust me - I feel it directly.

If I wasn't taxed at the rates I am I could work maybe one day less, or finish an hour less each day - that directly impacts on ME and my kids - a little like a death of 1000 cuts - this could just be the straw that breaks the camel's back...

And if tax dollars weren't directly being stolen by the likes of this lady - then there'd be more money to support children and victims of abuse.

DoubleDelight
08-10-2009, 14:20

This kind of apathy is the reason people can do it because it's someone elses problem, none of my business.

The simple facts are it IS illegal. There is no such thing as a victimless crime, we all pay the price whether it be welfare fraud, shoplifting or drug manufacture. You're either guilty or you're not, just like you can't be a little bit pregnant you either are or you aren't.

It's about taking responsibility for your life. If you choose not to work then that is a choice you are free to make just don't expect the Australian Taxpayer to fund your lifestyle choice.

The more money that we unnecessarily spend on welfare cheats and their ilk the less money gets spent on our ailing health system, our underfunded aged pensioners or childcare funding.

Maybe next time someone can't get an operation or is on a childcare waiting list they might pause and think of how those tax dollars are really working.

UmmInayah
08-10-2009, 14:21
This kind of apathy is the reason people can do it because it's someone elses problem, none of my business.

The simple facts are it IS illegal. There is no such thing as a victimless crime, we all pay the price whether it be welfare fraud, shoplifting or drug manufacture. You're either guilty or you're not, just like you can't be a little bit pregnant you either are or you aren't.

It's about taking responsibility for your life. If you choose not to work then that is a choice you are free to make just don't expect the Australian Taxpayer to fund your lifestyle choice.

The more money that we unnecessarily spend on welfare cheats and their ilk the less money gets spent on our ailing health system, our underfunded aged pensioners or childcare funding.

Maybe next time someone can't get an operation or is on a childcare waiting list they might pause and think of how those tax dollars are really working.

SO how does b!tching about it help? Wouldn't it be better to actually DO something about it if you're so concerned?

mini_me
08-10-2009, 14:22
I would never dob any one into centrelink, and I don't believe it is in anyones best interst if this woman becomes completey dependant on a man she barely knows.

:iagree: with this statement this could be very problematic

But if you really feel strongly then dob them in. My sister is unfortunately making a bad choice, she hurt her back when she was 18 now 22 shes fine however shes manage to get a doctor to convince centrelink she needs the disability pension and public housing to supply her a 3 bedroom house :banghead: I love my sister but OMG - the thing is I live in a different state than her, i have asked for advice from centrelink, and bascially because i am her sister and i dont see her on a regular basis they probably wont investigate. And yet when my husband and i moved to adelaide DH at the time had just gone bankrupt times were hard with a 10 week old, public housing couldnt give us the time of day, and yet people like her get 3 bedoom house so yes i do agree its very easy for some people to pull the wool over centrelinks eyes

DoubleDelight
08-10-2009, 14:27
SO how does b!tching about it help? Wouldn't it be better to actually DO something about it if you're so concerned?

I believe it's called a discussion. I would have no problem making the call if I knew the parties involved.

Cicho
08-10-2009, 15:04
I entirely agree. I was stating its hardly a life of luxury. I don't think I could even pay my bills on that yet alone food etc

I thought you said it was a new boyfriend she met over the internet? I didn't realise it was an existing husband :confused:

If it were me I would dob them in. There is nothing new about this infact there is a whole culture of those who have done it for generations.

Yes my mistake. I should have put DP instead of DH.. (I'm so angry) :laughing:

Yes, they met over the net. She is moving from interstate to be with him. She is already on the dole, not having had a job before...

So she is moving in with her DP who makes good money and she will keep the dole for her 'spending money'.... Im still so bloody p!ssed off

Cicho
08-10-2009, 15:06
[QUOTE=WorkingClassMum;4137749]YES she is. She is hurting so many people - you just can't see it.

So many people assume that it's OK to defraud CL, so the assumption is the all single mothers are sucking it out of the syetm, that all unemployed people are dole bludgers etc etc.

Read Mommabear03's thread - shes afraid to go on SSP and stop working for awhile 'cos of what people might think - and this scum-sucking womon is causing that exact hurt.

I do not begrudge any one government fiancial assistance, but I'm not working and paying $$$$$$$$$ in tax to support fraud.

If there wasn't this level of fraud, there'd be more to go around to those who are ENTITLED to assistance.

Maybe also my tax $$$$$$$$$ would be reduced and I could work less and see a bot more of my kids.

This woman, all govt assistance frauds and everyone who turns a blind eye is directly hurting me and my children and anyone who's ENTITLED for assistance.

They're nothing but leeches on society.[/QUO

:iagree::iagree:

Cicho
08-10-2009, 15:15

Well put :iagree:

Cicho
08-10-2009, 15:20
Oh, I will be calling Centrelink :yes:

My question was has this lifestyle now become the norm with certain people because they are just too lazy to work?

People in her position who don't have kids, are perfectly able to contribute choose not to and get rewarded for it...

Sorry, I just dont get it.

Amara
08-10-2009, 15:22

Well personally I think she's an idiot for moving in with a man she barely knows. It would be far more sensible to move nearby, but of course she can't afford that can she cos she is sponging off the tax payer. Oh & she doesn't need to be dependant on any man she can gt off her a$$ & get a job like the rest of us.

To the OP - dob her in. If everyone dobbed them all in there would be more money to go round for all those in genuine need. Perhaps some more money for our hospitals, who knows where that much needed money could go, but certainly not in a lazy person's pocket simply because she can't be bothered working.

I agree with a PP poster.... how on earth anyone can be bothered with all the rigmarole you have to go through to get a payment from Centrelink (& keep it) is enough to put an honest person off.

They have not made it easy for me to claim a small amount of PP which I am entitled to. Several forms, an interview & then embarassing questionaires sent to my friends to confirm that I am indeed single. When I asked why it had to be friends not relatives I was told friends are less likely to lie.... yeah right!!! When one friend didn't bother to fill it out I had it suspended & it wont be reinstated til she sends it in.

I would welcome them in to my home at any time to check that there are no mens clothes here, no mens toiletries, all his tools have gone from the shed etc etc but they just want a stupid piece of paper which apparently proves I am no longer with him (which obviously it doesn't). Meanwhile it appears they still haven't sent a new questionaire to her so I am still suspended. Lucky for me I do actually work part time or my son & I would be screwed.

~BEXTER~
08-10-2009, 15:26
While I know centrelink is needed for those times in need I do think it should be changed A LOT.

The dole should be on a 6 month basis once the 6 months is up no more money!

Also people should be paid by a card that is only accepted at the grocery shop and not aloud to have alcohol and smokes brought with it.

My mum is 50 been on the dole her whole life i think it is disgusting and it need to changed I have worked full time since I was 15 i am now 24 and not working at the moment as I have just moved, but i will be out there next week with my resume looking for a job.

The system needs to change maybe then the government can put the money to good use and pay off all that debt he is getting us into.

As for public housing they are just as bad.
I was homeless for 6 months never asked them for anything been paying private rent since I was 19.
went to them for help and they did nothing they did put me in motels where I had to change every week but no house in site.

My friend whom lost her kids to docks is still in a 3 bed room house! kids are not returning till they are 18 and she is in a house.

my sister goes into them and tell them she has no where to go and gets offered 2 in the same day.

the whole system is ****!

Bubs'n'Roses
08-10-2009, 15:27
It makes me sad to be honest.

I had a friend (had being the operative word) who was trying to find a way to convince CL she had a baby (she didn't) so she could claim baby bonus... it made me really angry. Obviously, she couldn't fool them and she got caught for it.

You hear about all the people ripping the system off when people who honestly need it and rely on it are struggling to get by... isn't that just sickening and sad??

Jakois
08-10-2009, 15:34
It makes me sad to be honest.

I had a friend (had being the operative word) who was trying to find a way to convince CL she had a baby (she didn't) so she could claim baby bonus... it made me really angry. Obviously, she couldn't fool them and she got caught for it.

:eek: WTF.

How on earth would one even attempt to do that:confused:.

Blonde Assassin
08-10-2009, 15:36
OMG do NOT make me start!! :banghead:

The amount of people I know who say they're single when they aren't, say their partners are earning less than they are etc. makes me soooooo angry!! Every time the littlest detail changes I notify them straight away! I can't dob these people in because one is family of DF & the other is the wife of a friend of DF..

I know that one of these two in particular just spend the money on kids clothes, their clothes, facials, hair dressers etc. Then they have the nerve to look down on me for buying a few second hand items for my DS!!!!!! Makes me sick!!

Its so unfair these people are getting paid more than double what we are, I honestly hope they all get caught :thumbsdown:

delirium
08-10-2009, 15:48
I won't say it's become the norm, but it's very common. I would say dob them in, but that doesn't work. I dobbed in a family who were pulling in the partners full time wage, plus her SPP :banghead: They said they did it bc they were broke, but in truth they spent their money on crap. I got sick of it after about a year and dobbed her it.

Centrelink called her to organise a meeting at her house AHEAD OF TIME so they could come check the living situation out. They actually gave notice :eek: But the really infuriating thing was that she told them they were infact seperated and that whoever the informer was (me:p) they were doing it out of spite. So centrelink didn't even have the interview at her house WTF? So they got off scott free after 1 phone call. I wondered why I even bothered.

Cicho
08-10-2009, 16:39
I agree with Amara's post, she is moving states to be with someone she doesn't know, although I know this guy well (he is my DH's mate), and he is a good bloke, what concerns me is her ripping him off :yes:

Another thing is they are going to want to socialise with us, and to be honest, I'd rather stick my bum in an ants nest :yes:

We do it tough, but don't complain about it and get only what we are entitled to...

Oh I have also heard now they notify the suspected fraudsters before they speak to them... How very odd :yes:

Cicho
08-10-2009, 16:45
Well personally I think she's an idiot for moving in with a man she barely knows. It would be far more sensible to move nearby, but of course she can't afford that can she cos she is sponging off the tax payer. Oh & she doesn't need to be dependant on any man she can gt off her a$$ & get a job like the rest of us.

To the OP - dob her in. If everyone dobbed them all in there would be more money to go round for all those in genuine need. Perhaps some more money for our hospitals, who knows where that much needed money could go, but certainly not in a lazy person's pocket simply because she can't be bothered working.

I agree with a PP poster.... how on earth anyone can be bothered with all the rigmarole you have to go through to get a payment from Centrelink (& keep it) is enough to put an honest person off.

They have not made it easy for me to claim a small amount of PP which I am entitled to. Several forms, an interview & then embarassing questionaires sent to my friends to confirm that I am indeed single. When I asked why it had to be friends not relatives I was told friends are less likely to lie.... yeah right!!! When one friend didn't bother to fill it out I had it suspended & it wont be reinstated til she sends it in.

I would welcome them in to my home at any time to check that there are no mens clothes here, no mens toiletries, all his tools have gone from the shed etc etc but they just want a stupid piece of paper which apparently proves I am no longer with him (which obviously it doesn't). Meanwhile it appears they still haven't sent a new questionaire to her so I am still suspended. Lucky for me I do actually work part time or my son & I would be screwed.

This girl who is moving up is a serial dole recipient, only had jobs for a month or two at a time ( DH's mate told me this) :yes:

BabelFish
08-10-2009, 17:26
And in all seriousness.. why do we always feel like we have to intrude on other people's lives. It's not like she is directly hurting anyone.
Wrong.

Completely wrong.

(And I'm not just talking about the attitude.)

my_lot
08-10-2009, 18:02
She is able to claim this payment after she has moved. She has a certain time frame to tell them of her changes.

How do you know she isnt going to do that?

How do you know that she isnt just staying on it for now to support herself, rather than dumping herself in another mans house and then expecting him to feed her and clothe her.

yeah she should have thought it over but love is strange.

anyway, dob her in. No point making a thread about it. Will that make you feel better when you put in the tip off?

UmmInayah
08-10-2009, 19:04
she is able to claim this payment after she has moved. She has a certain time frame to tell them of her changes.

How do you know that she isnt just staying on it for now to support herself, rather than dumping herself in another mans house and then expecting him to feed her and clothe her.

Yeah she should have thought it over but love is strange.

Anyway, dob her in. No point making a thread about it. Will that make you feel better when you put in the tip off?

tots agree!

BabelFish
08-10-2009, 19:04
I suppose it's because she's already told people she is going to be ripping them off. That would usually raise some suspicions.

As for what is threadworthy or not - well, how is that up to anyone else to decide? Goodness, someone started a thread the other day on how to buy pillows. Obscure, but totally reasonable if you want advice.

If you don't like the thread, don't reply to it. What's the point in answering someone's thread just to b*tch? Surely there's plenty more threads on here to occupy you if you don't like this one!

UmmInayah
08-10-2009, 19:07
I suppose it's because she's already told people she is going to be ripping them off. That would usually raise some suspicions.

As for what is threadworthy or not - well, how is that up to anyone else to decide? Goodness, someone started a thread the other day on how to buy pillows. Obscure, but totally reasonable if you want advice.

If you don't like the thread, don't reply to it. What's the point in answering someone's thread just to b*tch? Surely there's plenty more threads on here to occupy you if you don't like this one!

I agree with this too :footinmouth:

Having a pathetic day, taking it out on BHs.

BabelFish
08-10-2009, 19:09
Hahaha - welcome to my world!! Hope your day gets better! :hugs:

Cicho
08-10-2009, 20:03
She is able to claim this payment after she has moved. She has a certain time frame to tell them of her changes.

yeah she should have thought it over but love is strange.

anyway, dob her in. No point making a thread about it. Will that make you feel better when you put in the tip off?

I know she is going to continue to claim the payment because DH's mate who she moving in with said quite clearly she does not want to find a job, she is happy collecting the dole, which she will continue to do, which is why I am so cranky....

You bet it will make me feel better when I dob her in :yes:

Cicho
08-10-2009, 20:05

:iagree::iagree: Thank You

threechooks
08-10-2009, 20:21
So she is moving in with her DP who makes good money and she will keep the dole for her 'spending money'.... Im still so bloody p!ssed off

oohh! spending money that WOULD be nice to have! But I'd rather be honest and work for my money :yes:

OhGeeMuma
08-10-2009, 21:25
Is the area to which she is moving to rural or metro? She may have a non-payment period if the area she is going to has lower unemployment and is saying her new DP is just a friend.

I would be reporting her. Just my 2c :D

Opinionated
08-10-2009, 21:44

I agree.

My best friend has a new boyfriend. He lives over 90 minutes drive away so they want to share her house. If they do, he instantly becomes the breadwinner for her and her 2 kids. How is that right? He had planned to pay her rent and she had planned to declare it to centrelink. She does work, but only a small amount because of her small kids. If he moves in she loses all of her payments and becomes dependent on him.

The system is not great and I don't blame some people in some circumstances for ripping it off. I would also prefer people rip money off from centrelink than engage in other types of crime like burglary.

sockstealingpoltergeist
08-10-2009, 21:51
I agree.

My best friend has a new boyfriend. He lives over 90 minutes drive away so they want to share her house. If they do, he instantly becomes the breadwinner for her and her 2 kids. How is that right? He had planned to pay her rent and she had planned to declare it to centrelink. She does work, but only a small amount because of her small kids. If he moves in she loses all of her payments and becomes dependent on him.

The system is not great and I don't blame some people in some circumstances for ripping it off. I would also prefer people rip money off from centrelink than engage in other types of crime like burglary.

I agree.

When I think of all the wealthy people / big business who get off for poluting and unpaid taxes and get away with ripping off the government by millions because they can afford laywers and accountants, then the little person who gets next to nothing means nothing to me.

BabelFish
08-10-2009, 22:25
Two wrongs do not make a right. Just because there are rich people in the world who are dishonest, it doesn't mean that it's right for people to take advantage of our welfare system and potentially damage it for people who really need it.

If people move in together, they become a family, that is the way it is seen in the eyes of the law. If you start splitting hairs and saying `oh but this and that and blah blah' the services we are very lucky to have become even more difficult to access.

There have to be rules, and they need to be followed. NO system is perfect but abusing it is not the answer. Not only that, we are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where the government helps us out at all. It's not a RIGHT, it's a PRIVILEGE, and the many who have a sense of entitlement that tells them that they don't have to do anything and the government will pay for them to live are the ones who rip us all off in the end.

It's naive and ignorant to think that the odd person ripping off Centrelink doesn't affect the system. Maybe if one or two people did it, it wouldn't. But there are Centrelink fraudsters by the many, many thousand, and that DOES mean that there will be people who really are affected.

oohh! spending money that WOULD be nice to have! But I'd rather be honest and work for my money :yes:
Exactly. No, the system isn't perfect. I will do 70 hours of work temping by next Friday and in the end, I'll end up only being about $450 better off. Because if I work that much I lose all my benefits for the period that I'm working. That's just the way it is. It might not be 100% fair but I'm very happy to work for my money and not just expect a handout because I'm a wife and mother.

At the moment, I can't find a regular job because I have a 14-month-old and am six months pregnant and nobody will employ me. My husband is a full time student. We are trying to get into a better position and are spending this year to do so.

We are very, VERY fortunate that the government is helping us do that, but we never lose sight of that fact. We are fortunate, even though we're poor, and ripping off the system would give us more money but it would make us people without any principles and I know what is more important to us.

MummaBear03
08-10-2009, 22:40
While I know centrelink is needed for those times in need I do think it should be changed A LOT.

The dole should be on a 6 month basis once the 6 months is up no more money!

Also people should be paid by a card that is only accepted at the grocery shop and not aloud to have alcohol and smokes brought with it.

My mum is 50 been on the dole her whole life i think it is disgusting and it need to changed I have worked full time since I was 15 i am now 24 and not working at the moment as I have just moved, but i will be out there next week with my resume looking for a job.

The system needs to change maybe then the government can put the money to good use and pay off all that debt he is getting us into.

As for public housing they are just as bad.
I was homeless for 6 months never asked them for anything been paying private rent since I was 19.
went to them for help and they did nothing they did put me in motels where I had to change every week but no house in site.

My friend whom lost her kids to docks is still in a 3 bed room house! kids are not returning till they are 18 and she is in a house.

my sister goes into them and tell them she has no where to go and gets offered 2 in the same day.

the whole system is ****!

Sorry, I can't agree with any of this. Sometimes it takes longer than 6 months for someone to find a job. I've got a friend who recently became a single parent in the last year, she still hasn't found a job that she can do within school hours, and she has no one to look after her son outside of school. Because he was older when she went onto Centrelink payments, she was put onto NewStart (Dole) instead of PPS. What would have happened if they cut her off after 6 months? She tried letting him walk home from school in the afternoons while she worked the jobs that were on offer, but wasn't able to keep doing that because she worried about having a child walk home from school alone and let himself in and be home by himself until she got home at 6:30.

I do think this is exactly the reason I'm so hesitant in stopping work, the stigma that's attached to it, like people would look at me as though I'm ripping off tax payers by going onto full PPS instead of working and only getting the $15/fn or whatever in PPS.

Cicho
09-10-2009, 05:18
Is the area to which she is moving to rural or metro? She may have a non-payment period if the area she is going to has lower unemployment and is saying her new DP is just a friend.

I would be reporting her. Just my 2c :D

She is moving from one metro to another in a different state.... I thought that too :yes:

Cicho
09-10-2009, 05:23
There have to be rules, and they need to be followed. NO system is perfect but abusing it is not the answer. Not only that, we are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where the government helps us out at all. It's not a RIGHT, it's a PRIVILEGE, and the many who have a sense of entitlement that tells them that they don't have to do anything and the government will pay for them to live are the ones who rip us all off in the end.

us.

That is my point. :iagree:

delirium
09-10-2009, 05:25
No one is forcing her to live in poverty. She made the decision she is going to defraud the govt and tax payer. If she was stealing from her workplace, should she not be dobbed in bc she might lose her job and be dependant on him? If I insert any other morally or legally wrong activity I think most people would say they would report her to the police/workplace etc.

I find the logic that we should turn a blind eye bc she's a woman, and might end up dependant on him a bit silly. Do we rule our dobbing a man in bc he might be dependant on a woman and that could be emasculating? She is choosing to move with him and she is choosing to stll collect the dole. Now I don't know if it's true that she just doesn't want to work, but I suspect the OP knows more than me. She could work (she has no kids) AND live with him. All legal, everyone's happy. She could search for work and not move in until she gets a job so there are no dependancy issues.

Cicho
09-10-2009, 05:34
How is it the taxpayer's liability when this woman falls for a guy interstate and decides to move to be with him?

Is no one responsible for their own choices anymore?

She is choosing to come here and live :yes:

So what if things go bad? She is adult enough to decide to move states to be with someone she hardly knows, then fine, but I will not sit back and watch while she takes when she is not entitled. :no:

SimplyMum
09-10-2009, 06:49
Sorry - but trust me - I feel it directly.

If I wasn't taxed at the rates I am I could work maybe one day less, or finish an hour less each day - that directly impacts on ME and my kids - a little like a death of 1000 cuts - this could just be the straw that breaks the camel's back...

And if tax dollars weren't directly being stolen by the likes of this lady - then there'd be more money to support children and victims of abuse.

I couldn't agree more. As a full time working parent, it makes my blood boil to think that they take $150 our of my pay each week to give to some person that just can not be bothered with working, yet I pay over $280 in childcare fees a week.

Very well said.:thumbsup:

*Cj*
09-10-2009, 06:54
Does your DH Mate know that if she gets done for centrelink fraud, he could all so be done for fraud. As they can all so do the other half as they should/would have known. That they sat and did nothing about it. :laughing:

MummaBear03
09-10-2009, 06:58
We are very, VERY fortunate that the government is helping us do that, but we never lose sight of that fact. We are fortunate, even though we're poor, and ripping off the system would give us more money but it would make us people without any principles and I know what is more important to us.

Well said, we are very lucky and no matter how much assistance some people get, it's never enough and they don't see it as assistance to help out in the short-term, they see it as a long term income, like a job. I'd feel embarrassed if someone asked what I do for a living and there was no answer. Fair enough if there's no work around there's no work around, but to not have work and not be looking for work is wrong IMO.

Of course, being a SAHM, or being a student do not equate to sitting around doing nothing. My father's wife's son lived off Centrelink until they cut him off for not attempting to look for work. last we knew he was living in the rainforest up in Far North Queensland somewhere and has no income, lives in the actual rainforest and gets his food from there :confused: but no one's heard from him since just after Christmas.

delirium
09-10-2009, 07:14
I don't have an issue with those that get centrelink (we still get some) or those that call it their pay. If they are entitled to Newstart, Austudy, SPP etc I'm cool with that. That's what Centrelink is there for. But defrauding the taxpayer to move in with a boyfriend and still receive Newstart is different.

Gumby
09-10-2009, 07:24
Unfortunately it is the norm for many people.

mummajuice
09-10-2009, 08:51
Aside from the sensitive issue that seems to be emerging here, can I just go back a bit to where people were talking about cases where someone will be receiving benefits as well as working cash in hand - this totally enrages me!!! The fact that they aren't paying taxes means that not only are they ripping off the tax system, they have avoided Centrelink's main way of "catching them" through file matching with the ATO.

I have certain members of my extended family who know the ins and outs of centrelink more than they know the road rules. He has been on a disability pension for over 20 years, and she claims that she can't work because she is his full time carer. They have been given a unit through the public housing that is fully equipped for someone with mobility issues and receive rent assistance for their subsidised rent, health care cards, pensioner discounts for rego, power, phone, disabled parking permit etc. Now here's the clincher - there is nothing bloody wrong with him. They both work for cash at a farm!!! How can someone with an allegedly bad back, so bad that he can't work even 10 hours a week according to the "system", then turn around and work 15 hrs a week picking bloody produce?!?!?! Yet, they have things all around the house like physio balls and infa-red heat packs, just in case they get a visit from social services or housing. When the stimulus packages were paid, they got a piece of that action too!!

Now they raised their children with these values, the daughter had claimed a bad back from a fall through workcover within 2 years of working full time and the son has just had an accident due to driver error, but has since claimed that he just blacked out behind the wheel and will be trying to claim an insurance payout and then go on a disability pension.

I have reported them to centrelink, and even have photographic evidence of how fit and able they are from a number of different occasions, yet they seem to be getting away with it while still earning an income but reaping the benefits attached to being a pensioner.

Now THAT makes me angry!!!:banghead: That and there is this mentality that they are ENTITLED to these benefits and perks, despite the fact that they are cheating the system.

It's a BENEFIT not a bloody ENTITLEMENT!!

garfield13
09-10-2009, 08:54
I dont think its the new norm, I think its just the norm for alot of people.
Dh use to have friends years ago that were together with two kids, but he was listed as living at a different address so she claimed the full sp benefits and he worked for cash so claimed the dole.
I also used to work at a cafe casually but the 2 full time employees were paid in cash, so they could get the dole too, I was offered this and declined. Its just what some people do.
I think maybe they look it at like free money and they can get it so why not take it, not realising / caring that this is one thing tax goes to, so therefore keeping extra money away from healthcare, education etc, keeping our taxes higher.
I really dont think people should get the dole at for nothing - work for the dole yes, even if it is a few hours / one day a week. Im sure anyone who use geniunely using the dole while between jobs would have not problem with this and could work in job interveiws with this also. I also think there should be a time limit set you can accept the dole, there was some women on a current affair the other week who had been getting it for 15+ yrs and not worked - that just makes me :banghead:

Cicho
09-10-2009, 08:59
Does your DH Mate know that if she gets done for centrelink fraud, he could all so be done for fraud. As they can all so do the other half as they should/would have known. That they sat and did nothing about it. :laughing:

I said that to him and his response was 'hmmph, not my problem'.

This is not about single mums, or disability pensioners or the like.

This is about a perfectly able person with no commitments and no kids making a life choice to be unemployed as a career.

I was a single mum once. Never will you hear me rubbish a single parent for receiving Centrelink :no:

meggie09
09-10-2009, 09:01
I as a mother feel it is very important to spend as much time as possible with your kids when they are little. Having said that i did go back to work when ds was 7 mths old because i had to. Dh work became part time and he wasnt making enough money for us to survive. We tried to get parenting payment but got fed up after 4 weeks of paperwork. I got a job as an office manager and worked 60 - 70 hrs a week. I rarely saw ds during the week as he was in bed when i got home. I dropped him at daycare at 7:30am every morning. I would spend my weekends organising, washing and ironing clothes, cooking the weeks meals to freeze and cleaning. Dh got put back on full time a week after i started. Financially it was great but after 12 mths we moved to a job where dh earned more and i could stay at home. I think people who do the wrong thing need to be reported. But sahm shouldnt have to be put down because of their choice. Oh an PP that said sahm should go back to work when their kids are 2...thats an age when they learn alot from parents and shouldnt be chucked in daycare because their mums are made to work. I regret going back to work and missing that time with ds. Im a sahm to 2kids and im pregnant with twins. I probably wont go back to work until the twins start prep.

Cicho
09-10-2009, 09:04
Does anyone know if Centrelink use private investigators to track this kind of thing if they are suspicious or are tipped off?? :confused:

Or if they use networking sites like Facebook to check customers? That would be a dead giveaway because both of their statuses say 'in a relationship with XXX XXX'.

That way surely she would get booted off the dole

delirium
09-10-2009, 09:06
I think they do (I've seen it on ACA) but only in rare cases.

Myztiks#1Fan
09-10-2009, 09:09
OP, that woman seriously needs to grow up. i hope she gets caught big time coz for every single person who rorts the system, that is an extra few dollars that could be put onto other payments such as carers allowence etc.

my_lot
09-10-2009, 09:16
Or if they use networking sites like Facebook to check customers? That would be a dead giveaway because both of their statuses say 'in a relationship with XXX XXX'.

That way surely she would get booted off the dole

Then many a woman would be "booted" off the SPP. Relationships dont always mean living in each others pockets.

Cicho
09-10-2009, 09:32
Then many a woman would be "booted" off the SPP. Relationships dont always mean living in each others pockets.

I understand that but in order for this woman to collect the dole she is going to have to say she is only sharing the house with DH's mate, not living with him in a relationship.. They'd cut her straight off then :yes:

The lease is in DH's mate's name... she will claim she is a boarder :yes:

Her facebook status says otherwise

Myztiks#1Fan
09-10-2009, 09:37
I understand that but in order for this woman to collect the dole she is going to have to say she is only sharing the house with DH's mate, not living with him in a relationship.. They'd cut her straight off then :yes:

The lease is in DH's mate's name... she will claim she is a boarder :yes:

Her facebook status says otherwise

i believe she should be cut off. if this is the step they want to take and move their new relationship onto the next stage of living together, they should therefore share finances as far as i am concerned. they should understand that. i wouldnt ask someone to move into my house with myself and coop and not expect them to still live the single life and whatnot. i thought moving in together was about sharing a new experience and yes, means sharing wallets as well. she should get off her a$$ and find a job, there are plenty out there. i had a job offered to me the other day while i was working, i have one job wanting me full time and my day job i will be on part time soon as i dont want to go full time so plenty of work is out there.

dillydAlly
09-10-2009, 09:41
This very same topic comes up ALOT in our family........

First of all let me say to the OP..... I'd dob them! Clear and simple and then at least you know you have done all you can! This person you speak of sounds like she doesn't care what others think of her and just doesn't want to do anything to support herself.... which is of course SAD!

I have had a couple of cases where I have had to call centrelink.... One being an cousin of mine who used to whisper to me about how she was claiming SPP even though her and her hubby were still together..... I knew her hubby and he had no idea that she had told certrelink they had "seperated"..... I promptly called centrelink and reported them.. Oh and BTW it also mean that she recieved 104% child care benifit even though her children didn't need to be in childcare, she had them there 5 days a week! I honestly got sick of hearing about her (who drove around in a mercedes benz and owned her own house) getting lots from the government.... Surely the creativity and effort involved in so sneakily defaruding the government could be better spen contributing to society!

Secondly is a very touchy subject, I have a friend who's family is in a same sex realtionship.... The mother who has had the children (3 via IVF) doesn't work but recieves SPP for three children. Her partner (who also lives in the same house) earns...... lets say big bucks! Up until very recently same sex parents were not seen as a couple therefore could not be held for having two incomes. That drove me nuts but if it's the law, it's the law!. Now that legislation has changed I brought up the fact that they would have to declare the partners income which would mean that the mum who stays at home wouldn't get SPP anymore........... I was clearly told that they would simply not be declaring anything as they didn't want their lifestyle to change.... So NOW they are breaking the law...... i have not reported this couple as I do not have enough of an insight to know their financial status and it is only purely hear say!

But I guess in my head, they are breaking the law! There are reasons that there are laws in place... I would personally like to see all the money that is being purposfully and dishonestly claimed go towards better hospital systems and education!!!!!!

End Rant :o

Boobycino
09-10-2009, 10:12
I typed out a very long rant and it got lost into nowhere land.

My inlaws are terrible offenders, I'm supprised they haven'thad their payments cut altogether, because they 'seperated' to get paid two lots of single payments for about 5 years, but they're having a portion deducted from their payments until its paid back.

If they weren't family I'd be tempted to drop an annonymus tip to say have a closer look at their medical claims - because they're both claiming to be physically unable to work.... aside from very recently where FIL has put on so much weight he probably cant work anymore, MIL has absolutely no reason she cannot work and hasn't worked a day in her life. I dont know if it annoys me more that they migrated to Australia... because... I would expect more from an Australian, but it does sit wrong for someone to come to australia and then not contribute at all and leech off the system.

Of all the little things that my inlaws do that annoys me, I do find I'm less tollerant of them because I dont like them as people.

And then it just tips me over the edge when they COMPLAIN about it.

I only complained for the sake of humour when I was 37 weeks pregnant and registering for centrelink (as I finished work the day before I was 37 weeks) and DP was unemployed at the time and I had to make several trips to centrelink because they needed proof I was pregnant, that I'd stopped working and I STILL needed to go and register with an agency as a job seeker (at about 39 weeks pregnant) I think I made an extra trip in AFTER my due date and on paper I still wanted 'pregnant'.... I came in with a 3 week old baby before someone stepped up and said "we'll sort this out and we'll call you if we need anything more from you".

But, I only complained because of how hilarious it all was - though my last visit with a 3 week old bub was horrendous and I was glad to never go back.

But I'm greatful for that bit of money. I'm glad we had money in savings to pay rent, because waiting for payments didn't pan out so well, but it was wonderful to be back paid for a few weeks DP was out of work so we could refill our savings and the baby bonus I was greatful for and the FTB payments I get now I'm greatful for.

I think the thing that people seem to forget is centrelink isn't there to keep you well of and living comfortable. Its to keep food on the table, a roof over your head, lights on and hot water... if you want to live better than that GET A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And isn't it wonderful that we have a system that if you have some bad luck, if you lose your job, if something happens, theres something to fall back on. Aside from the ridiculasness of the paper pushing its a such an amazing benefit of living in this country.

(if we could get paid maternity leave it would be perfect :thumbsup: but a combination of the baby bonus and FTB and parenting payments is enough, really?)

BabelFish
09-10-2009, 11:03
I also wanted to add, to those who think that this woman isn't hurting anyone and that this thread is silly and that getting angry about her is pointless (and I know that there's not many who think that), what about all those guys out there who work for cash, claim the dole and refuse to pay child support because they `don't work'??

Everyone would be imploding with horror if that is what this thread was about. But because it's a chick who is moving to be with a guy and she doesn't want to work at all, and is going to lie about it so she can still get the dole, it's somehow ok and we should all be worrying about `more important' things. Righto.

Cicho
09-10-2009, 11:17
Thanks Chesby

That was my point in the OP.

Is it now normal to rip off centrelink without batting an eyelid?

I will be calling Centrelink to inform them of what is about to happen and I will mention the facebook status, incase that makes a difference.

There are so many families like ours doing the right thing, and being grateful for what we receive from family assistance, but there are so many out there who are doing the wrong thing that it seems to have become normal :confused:

Ana Gram
09-10-2009, 11:21
And the thing is, those who do fraud the system make it harder for those who are just trying to get by.

Myself, I have be flagged as a potential fraud by Centrelink for applying for the separated under one roof payment when I had to live with my ex for a year. I can't begin to tell you how utterly humiliating it is to have a Centrelink worker demand you prove that you are not have sex with your ex and then have them stipulate that you can not have male house mates or have men stay over night whilst on benefits.

kel87
09-10-2009, 11:41
i believe being a stay at home mum is a 'job' (one of the most rewarding ones out there) and if the government is willing/able to give u an incentive to stay at home .. we should be so lucky!

me and partner are fortunate to be in the situation where we cannot claim the benefits, however, for the mums and dads who do claims these benefits for valid reasons i think they are fully entitled to it, no mum/dad should be made to go back to work if she doesnt want to

im not sure of the extent of payment centrelink offers for the 'unemployed' but as PP have said people who rip off the system make it harder for others who need the support to get it.

I would not hesistate in alerting centrelink of fraud (even if my family were commiting it) because I know of countless situations where parents could have really helped out with benefits but were denied, as opposed to others who were frauding the system.

i can only imagine some of the sacrifices they have to make because all they recieve is the payments, so i dont think judging people who claim these payments is helpful AT ALL :)

Boobycino
09-10-2009, 11:45
And the thing is, those who do fraud the system make it harder for those who are just trying to get by.

Myself, I have be flagged as a potential fraud by Centrelink for applying for the separated under one roof payment when I had to live with my ex for a year. I can't begin to tell you how utterly humiliating it is to have a Centrelink worker demand you prove that you are not have sex with your ex and then have them stipulate that you can not have male house mates or have men stay over night whilst on benefits.

EXACTLY!

If everyone would be honest and forthright this wouldn't need to happen. I wouldn't have had to be trying to prove to the government that I was pregnant when I was due to give birth.

I understand that there needs to be all the paper work to keep the system honest, but it wouldn't need to be this way if it wasn't such a casual thing to rip off the system.

And thats disgusting to ask if your intimate with someone - and how exactly does one prove or disprove this?

And BTW I get PAID on Mondays every fortnight. I think of it as payment for raising my beautiful healthy boy to be a wonderful and productive member of society. :yes:

Though, I'm glad I work 6 hours a week because for some unknown reason people still keep asking me "so, what do you do?" when I meet them, or friends I haven't seen for a while, when I have a 10 month old son. I didn't much enjoy saying "I'm a mum" and feeling like that wasn't good enough for some people. I dont agree with them, but it still didn't help my self esteme if I hesitated with an answer and they'd say "so, you JUST a mum?.... oh thats, thats great, how lucky for you" :rolleyes: or even better, I've had people say "so your a lady of leisure now?" :laughing:

DQ
09-10-2009, 12:06
Thanks to those who contributed to this thread and gave the OP some useful tips and advice on how to handle this delicate situation.

This thread is now closed :)