PDA

View Full Version : Toddler wrist leash/harness

pixiesmums
30-06-2006, 10:23
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone out there has used a safety harness/wrist leash on their toddler. Also what do parents think about them? Do you think they are cruel? I was thinking of maybe getting one for my DD. She is forever running away from me in the shops now. She hates sitting in her stroller so I don't use it very often anymore. And where can you get them?:confused:

RaryGirl
30-06-2006, 10:27
I used a wrist one for my DD. I told her it was a bangle and I had the matching bangle on. My DD was a runner! She wouldn't hold your hand, wouldn't sit in the pram and just took off every chance she got - so it was the best solution for me.

I got a few comments from people - but same as everything you do, someone is always going to bag you about it. :banghead:

The one I used came from Big W.

OceBel
30-06-2006, 10:32
ive never used it, one came with the pram i had. my dd is the same, she would run every where, wouldnt sit in her pram, i couldnt put that around my daughters wrists.
i just use my mouth tell her not to run off, not to do this, not to do that, stay in the pram, or you wont get this, or we go home, :ecomcity: or go and get her from running of and explain shes not to run off :ecomcity:. but we all differen, i just couldnt put that around her wrists

Crazy Monkey
30-06-2006, 10:34
I dont have one but am definitely going to get one...

DS has only been walking for about 6 weeks but I can already tell he is going to be a runner... I would rather have someone bag me then lose my DS in the shops or anything worse...

pixiesmums
30-06-2006, 10:34
Do you remember how much you paid for yours?

Seekrit
30-06-2006, 10:39
I think they're great if you have one of those wondering kids. Sure people will give you a funny look but screw 'em, it's your kid's safety at risk!!

I've seen this cute little monkey back packs and the tail extends.. so the kid wears the back pack and mum holds the tail :D So cute!

reAllytee
30-06-2006, 10:39
Well im all for them & i know many arent but my issue is how quick they can get away & get into trouble.
Boof has only just learnt to walk so wants to do it as often as possible & its rather hard trying to reason with a 15mth old. He wont hold onto the pram & nor will he listen to when you ask him to stay close by at this age.
I also like the idea that i no where he is so that no one can take him.
We used ours on the weekend just passed at the meet & it was great especially being in the city with so many people !
We have a harness that is a puppy that wraps around him like a little backpack & then the lead bit is its tail tis very cute ! So doesnt look like a lead as such just a cute little toy.
You can also get a monkey style which we are also going to get.

Now i just wish i had a remote to switch him off when i need a break this is the second time i have written this out as he thinks turning the computer off is hilarious :rolleyes:

~EmsMum~
30-06-2006, 10:41
I don't like them at all, but if my DD turns into a bubs that runs everywhere and could possibly get lost then I would have to look into getting one.

~Chick79~
30-06-2006, 10:42
I will most definitely be using the harness (although mine will be a hand me down) when the time comes.... Although Ryan walks everywhere at home he is still happy enough to stay in the pram when we are at the shops.

Personally I would just love someone to come up and make a comment to me about using it.... I would much rather use the harness then have my child run away from me in the shops (or worse the car park!)... In today's society who knows what would happen!

I believe they are available at all good leading baby stores however i have seen affordable priced ones in Big W and Kmart (although I can't remember the prices....)

drewid
30-06-2006, 10:49
We have a harness that is a puppy that wraps around him like a little backpack & then the lead bit is its tail tis very cute ! So doesnt look like a lead as such just a cute little toy.

We have the same backpack, its SO cute and Andrew just loves dogs, so gets very excited to see it. We are still only using it at home at the moment, when he walks in the unfenced front yard, trying to teach him to stop running for the road! Haven't had need to use it at the shops yet, as I usually just carry him, but I will certainly prefer to have him on a "leash" rather than running away. He is just SO quick and definitely wouldn't come back to me if I just called his name - he's just too curious about the world. Rather be safe than sorry!

FourAngelKisses
30-06-2006, 10:56
I swore I would never ever put a child of mine on a leash like a dog and I never had to with the older two. Brooke would sit happilly in the pram and jacob would hold onto the side of the pram. When they got older and didn't want to hold my hand, I would tell them to wait for me at the next pole, tree, sign, corner, whatever. But then I had Matthew. He went through a stage where he refused to hold my hand if I didn't have the pram, he even plonked himself down in the middle of a pedestrian crossing because I was trying to hold his hand. So I spent $10 on a harness from Big W, only to find out that it wasn't designed for the bigger than average 2yr old. It has been used once. Biggest waste of money for me really. After 3-4wks of him refusing to hold my hand, he started accepting that there are times when he does need to stay close to me and not be so independant.

annb
30-06-2006, 10:58
Ive got the monkey one and it looks so cute that you dont get disapproving looks from anyone that you have your child in a harness!! I would rather have something that stops my child from running away than turning round and finding he isnt were i thought, especially in this day and age! The monkey and puppies are about $30 and I got mine from toys r us

tickle
30-06-2006, 10:59
We have a rule that DS either holds my hand or the pram or he goes in the pram and can't walk. It has really started to sink in now through being really consistant. I'm sure it won't work for all kids but I've found it really effective.:)

Sandra/Paul
30-06-2006, 11:15
I had a harness and a wrist strap - I prefered the wrist strap, with having 3 kids so close in age I actually had 2 of them and used them when we went to places with big crowds like the Royal Show. My kids never complained or took them off as they knew it was so they didnt lose mummy. Cause mummies can get lost real easy and they need to help keep them in sight. (Reverse pshychology)

I would use them again too if I had to. Mine was less than $5.

pixiesmums
30-06-2006, 11:20
Thanks for the replys everyone. It's good to know what everyone thinks of them. I think I will definately be using one. And thanks for letting me know where to get them. I think I might have to get the puppy dog one as my DD loves puppies. It seems that this was a good subject to post

reAllytee
30-06-2006, 11:24
You can either get them at Toys R Us or a lot of kids stores have them too dont pay anymore than $30 ! :D

kerrin
30-06-2006, 11:26
After what happened to that poor little girl in WA, I'm not letting DD out of sight - EVER!

Supermum
30-06-2006, 11:28
We used a harness briefly for our DS. It's all well and good for people to say they could NEVER use a harness on a child, until they get the tried and true absconder. I had one and he wouldn't sit in a pram. It's very difficult to manage an absconding toddler who won't sit in a pram and a newborn! Some children don't hold onto your hand and don't do as their told and it has nothing to do with parenting skills ... well certainly not in this particular instance.

Yes we had a few comments but I would rather cop the occasional comment from an ill-informed random than the alternative, a child on the loose and at risk of serious injury!

pixiesmums
30-06-2006, 11:45
The thing is that I was thinking of one last week and then when the horrible thing that happened with that little 8 yr old girl it kind of put things in perspective for me. I would rather cop a few foul looks than something happen to my DD. At least I know where my DD is.

Supermummy
30-06-2006, 12:10
My little 2yo daughter constantly runs off in the opposite direction, I use a harness all the time - I keep it in my handbag! I find the harness type better as she does try to put a bit of force on it sometimes and I think the rist one may come off or may hurt her arm/wrist.
The harness is fab. I have had people staring at me while using it and one comment about walking the dog! But I don't give a rats what people think -
People would certainly think that you are a bad parent if your child ran in front of a car or became lost!
I also use it to strap her into the shopping trolley - as I find that the one strap they usually have is not enough to stop my little horror, but the harness stops her getting out.
My little one loves it and she even holds her arms out ready to put it on! It may take some time for them to get used to it - but persist!

Well worth it, saves a lot of frustration!! Get them at k-mart, babyco, big W, sometimes Target or your local baby store!

Ky
30-06-2006, 17:19
Both of my kids have been runners (ds still is!) and there is no way that they would respond to voice commands as there was too much to be excited about and I think that they just decided that they would just cope with whatever punishment was coming there way as the new experiences far outweighed the consequences!

I use a harness with ds and there are some days when the threat of the harness is enough to have him walk beside me most of the time, but there are also some days when it would be a huge mistake not to use it!

The one I have is "Sister Browne" and has a padded from strap across the breastbone which seems to be absolutley necessary when ds decides that it is more fun to hang from the harness than walk!

My dd had one when she was small and would insist on holding her "doggy lead" herself and would walk along very sedately for ages ... it was great!

They are a fantastic safety item and those of us with runners know just how much they are worth every penny and more! There is no need to ever apologise for using one when the main aim is your childs safety!

The one time recently that I didn't use one when I should have, I ended up looking for ds for half an hour and then finally calling the police and finding that he had been taken to the police station ... I was in another town, near a beach and a railway track (ds is train mad) an was absolutely beside myself with worry!

Ky
30-06-2006, 17:20
Oh, and had to add ... my kids figured out how to undo the wrist ones within minutes!

WeThree
30-06-2006, 17:22
We used a harness briefly for our DS. It's all well and good for people to say they could NEVER use a harness on a child, until they get the tried and true absconder. I had one and he wouldn't sit in a pram. It's very difficult to manage an absconding toddler who won't sit in a pram and a newborn! Some children don't hold onto your hand and don't do as their told and it has nothing to do with parenting skills ... well certainly not in this particular instance.

Yes we had a few comments but I would rather cop the occasional comment from an ill-informed random than the alternative, a child on the loose and at risk of serious injury!

My thoughts exactly SM :yes:

Lunar
30-06-2006, 17:23
I am trying to 'wean' Emily from the pram, she is a really bad runner.
I got her a little dog backpack harness (she loves dogs!) and she is pretty cool with it. It looks like a stuffed toy (well it more or less is) with the straps going around torso, and the tail of the puppy is the 'leash'..lol
It's cute and she likes to put her dog dog on!
It was the last resort for us, tried all the others on the market but this one seems to do the trick:thumbsup:

reAllytee
30-06-2006, 17:57
I am trying to 'wean' Emily from the pram, she is a really bad runner.
I got her a little dog backpack harness (she loves dogs!) and she is pretty cool with it. It looks like a stuffed toy (well it more or less is) with the straps going around torso, and the tail of the puppy is the 'leash'..lol
It's cute and she likes to put her dog dog on!
It was the last resort for us, tried all the others on the market but this one seems to do the trick:thumbsup:

Oh yayayaya Emy & Harry can be twins LOL :D

Oh by the way pixiesmum i also saw the harness we are talking about in Target at Macarthur Square they have both the puppy & the monkey ( which comes in two colours ! ).

I had a few comments today when out with him most were positive as they loved the puppy but i still got a few " oh SHE has a harness on her kid pffft " bugger em at least i know he is safe :thumbsup:

Grizabella
30-06-2006, 19:00
My DS isn't walking yet, but should be soon. I am definately getting one of the monkey harnesses for him. They sell them in Target here. As well as Toys R Us. My main reason is because we are going overseas in Nov for 6 weeks. Buggered if I am having my 18mnth old run off in a strange country where none of us can speak the language, or in an international airport!!!

As for ppl making comments about it being a "leash" Well I'd rather a humiliated child then a dead or missing one.

pixiesmums
30-06-2006, 20:44
Oh yayayaya Emy & Harry can be twins LOL :D

Oh by the way pixiesmum i also saw the harness we are talking about in Target at Macarthur Square they have both the puppy & the monkey ( which comes in two colours ! ).

I had a few comments today when out with him most were positive as they loved the puppy but i still got a few " oh SHE has a harness on her kid pffft " bugger em at least i know he is safe :thumbsup:

thanks very much for that. I will go to Macarthur square this weekend and have a look.:D

SilverStarfish
30-06-2006, 21:51
I was a dreadful 'runner' as a child, there are several photos of me in a harness :o Maybe that's why I've never had a problem with the idea.

aardvark
30-06-2006, 22:06
I have a wrist strap thing, and rarely used it for DD#1 or DD#2, but I always pack it when we go somewhere crowded, like the melbourne show. Even though DD#2 is not likely to run off now she is 5, we both find it comforting to use it when there is a real crowd.

Mum2Bug
01-07-2006, 14:49
I went shopping yesterday and DD had her wrist strap on as she is a runner. One rude lady walked past and said to her friend "She's got it on a lead like a dog the poor child". My response: "Better on a lead than have her kidnapped!"

What gives people the right to walk past and judge you like that when you are only thinking of your childs safety?

Ky
01-07-2006, 15:29
I was a dreadful 'runner' as a child, there are several photos of me in a harness :o Maybe that's why I've never had a problem with the idea.

Come to think of it ... I have several photos of myself as a child with a harness on ... maybe my kids are payback?????

My Dad has told me that I was a climber and a runner too!

Mum2Bug
01-07-2006, 16:42
my 19 yrs old niece had one of the old white leather and buckle ones. when she was older she put it on her teddy to drag him around so he couldnt run off. if a child like that understands why we use them, why cant the adults who have a problem with seeing a child in one?

SilverStarfish
01-07-2006, 20:29
Yup, that's the sort I had. I probably would have wriggled out of anything else.

I can't believe that people feel they have the right to make such awful comments! Yikes! It's not like we're belting the kids with them!

annsam
01-07-2006, 20:41
I have brought onem of the wrist leads but haven't used it yet. I dont really care how it looks - if it stops DS running away in the shops (which are packed!!!!) or running in front of cars then thats all good for me. :thumbsup:

FourAngelKisses
02-07-2006, 09:27
The harness I brought for Matthew can be used as a harness, or as a wrist strap. He was too big for the harness, so I tried the wrist strap, but I found that he was always getting tangled up in it if he changed sides or if he stopped to do something and he would turn around before walking again. in the end I just kept telling him he had to hold my hand and I have ditched the whole thing. After 3wks of him refusing to hold my hand, he started doing it and is now more than happy.

beljay
02-07-2006, 23:30
My 2 year old terrer is a runner and i got a harness from the chemist and i made a game of it now she wont walk without it. If people give you dirty looks just tell them that youd rather then have a sore bum for a while than something worse. It was well worth $15 to make sure my terror doesnt get hurt, i would never forgive myself.

JnA
03-07-2006, 01:44
I was always against them... until the day I saw a little boy take off at the speed of light from his mum that had momentarily put end down. I ddin't think a little kids could run that fast! Now I reckon if you need it, use it. A has been mentioned in this thread a few times, better a comment or a look from some random stranger, than a hurt (or worse) child that you know and love.

chindonly
07-07-2006, 19:43
The days before I was a parent I was so against them thinking they were like leashes, IYKWIM!
But now I have a DD who does like to try and tear away from me at times and doesn't always like it in the trolley or pram, I have seriously thought about buying one.
My main concern is like all the other mums! I dont want her lost, I'd be in a terrible state of worry. Not all ppl can be 'trusted' as we have heard in the news recently (WA) :-(
So better to use something cute like the little backpacks and save yourself and possibly your child alot of tears, anxiety and who knows what else!
When I use one I dare anyone to speak against it to me! Grrrrr.

Hokey Pokey
09-07-2006, 13:23
I think they can be a god send for those little ones wo run away.... it is keeping them safe I reckon.

LIS-MARIE
09-07-2006, 21:46
I Used To Thinkthat They Were A Bit Like Dog Leashes, Though With Twins And Even If I Had Only One Child I Know Think They Can Be Lifesavers!!!! My Daughter Loves To Run Behind The Car And Into The Carpark While Im Getting Her Brother Out. They Both Hate The Pram And She Likes To Be Independent And Walk On Her Own. They Are Lifesavers, When I Put It On Her She Cannot Run Onto The Road. When Ppl Look At You I Weight It Up Against Something That Could Possibly Happen If She Does Run And The Stares Amount To Nothing In Comparison. Do Whatever Makes Things Easier For You, And Safer For Your Child To.

KarniF00l
09-07-2006, 21:48
IMO i rather put the kids in a pram or trolly then stick a leash on them but as i said thats just my opinion :yes:

jessgray
10-07-2006, 08:46
what shops in Vic that are all over vic stock the monkey and puppy harnesses? i have only seen pics of them on the bumpto3 site and would like to see one in real life lol

pixiesmums
10-07-2006, 08:53
what shops in Vic that are all over vic stock the monkey and puppy harnesses? i have only seen pics of them on the bumpto3 site and would like to see one in real life lol

Apparently Target stock them.

Seekrit
10-07-2006, 09:12
I don't know if you've got Babies Galore in Vic but I've seen them there :)

pixiesmums
10-07-2006, 09:17
ATD-FAH

Wait until you have your baby. You might change your mind. I was of the same opinion you were until I had my DD. I have changed my tune now.

jessgray
10-07-2006, 09:21
Apparently Target stock them.thanks for that will go check out target :D

veve
10-07-2006, 10:35
Hello all

I have just deleted several posts in this thread - it was getting a little aggressive and unnecessary - please remember that everyone has a point of view - please keep all the posts positive and supportive.. remembering the original post..

thanks
Jenny

annb
10-07-2006, 10:43
i got my harness from toysrus if you cant find the puppy/monkey one in target
the kids do not look like dogs on a leash either, id rather them be safe!!

Mummabear
10-07-2006, 10:52
I was always dead against them. Then I had a child myself. DS isn't walking yet, but if he's a runner or doesn't like being in the pram then I'll be using one. Personally I couoldn't care less what others think - I'd rather have my son at the end of the day than do things to please everyone else. My Mum used one on me when I was youger - no lingering subconscious emtional scars here.

The clincher for me was about 2 years ago at the shopping centre that I frequent a boy was snatched from his mother. The boy was standing NEXT to his mother but just one or two baby steps behind her and a guy ran past and grabbed him and kept running. It's that easy.

IMO it's all very easy to say that people should just 'control' their children - this usually comes from people which children that are easy to control or people that don't have kids. I think that having a monkey backpack on them with a tail lead is much less damaging to their emotional health than being yelled at or told NO constantly while out.

Yasmeena
11-07-2006, 18:09
mummabear - there are other ways of controlling your child while you are out besides yelling NO at them. I don't really think that is a logical argument for the emotional damage aspect of child leashes.
I don't necessarily think that leashes would cause emotional damage.
Perhaps leash-parents are a bit more fearful and uptight and that might affect their childs psyche in some way, but other than that I don't think it would make anymore difference than any other baby device (walkers, bouncers, carseats etc...)
I would never use a leash because I think they look weird, and I'd feel like a freak walking my child with a harness. If they are too young to walk sensibly beside their mother, I would think they might be better off in the pram.

FourAngelKisses
11-07-2006, 18:19
I believe that Mummabear was saying that yelling no is more harmful than putting your child on a leash and that she uses a leash for this reason.

Mum&bubs
11-07-2006, 18:21
Ive never used one of these leashes but they can be a good idea IMO, my 2 year old nephew as soon as he is down in the shops he is taking off EVERYWHERE. My sister cant shop as she is constantly chasing him no matter what she does. She said she is going to get one because she would rather him be on a 'leash' then losing him all together.

leenaomi
11-07-2006, 19:00
ive never used it, one came with the pram i had.

OH MY GOD! Is THAT what the strap that came with my pram is for?? For 2 years I have been using it to connect the pram to MY wrist when I walk so that if I fall over and let go, the pram and bub won't go careering down the hill without me (don't laugh - this happened to a friend of mine and I've been paranoid ever since!) It works very well for this purpose, so I will think I will keep doing it!

I haven't used a harness before but only because I haven't had to. If my DD constantly ran away I would have no problem using one because of the peace of mind it gives knowing that your little one is a safe distance away.

Apparently my mum used to have me on a leash when travelling internationally and copped much flack for it (back in the 70's, mind!)

Nothereanymore
11-07-2006, 19:25
If they are too young to walk sensibly beside their mother, I would think they might be better off in the pram.

I'm sorry but when a child does not want to be in a pram, there is no way they will stay in there. My DD loves to walk & rather than me stressing out, calling her back, trying to stop people with prams/trolleys hitting her :ecomcity: etc i'd rather just put a harness on her :yes: I'm not going to let her scream & yell because she wants to be up & walking vs being harnessed into a pram. I've heard to many stories about kids being kidnapped, & seen little toddlers get hit by cars. I cant help but think that if they had a harness on, these things may have been prevented.

FourAngelKisses
11-07-2006, 19:44
If I need to go into the school grounds to get the kids, I would either put Matthews harness on him, or make him hold my hand. So much easier than getting the pram out, crossing the road, crossing back and putting the pram back in the car. It's a lot easier and quicker to go without the pram.

WeThree
11-07-2006, 20:12
I would never use a leash because I think they look weird, and I'd feel like a freak walking my child with a harness. If they are too young to walk sensibly beside their mother, I would think they might be better off in the pram.

I find it odd that you would worry about something like this, who cares if it looks weird? :confused: The safety of your child is much more important.
It is all well and good to say to others that they shouldnt use one, there are other methods of controlling a child etc etc, but until you have had the experience of a runner, you cannot possibly understand what it is like.
My son who has just turned 3 doesnt do it much now, but he was a runner, and he was too young to explain anything to him, or to try and reason with him, he was always in a pram, but it did not stop him, as soon as the pram even slowed down he was up and over the straps and gone, he did not look back, he did not slow down. I had a newborn as well in the pram with me, and I can not begin to tell you what this was like.
Running a household I had regular errands to run, I have noone to watch my children whilst I do these, and my DH works full time, bills had to be paid, food had to be bought, but even slowing down to pay for something at the register was a nightmare, and resulted in my being stressed, embarressed and angry, he was only 18mths, so it was all fun and games to him, mum is chasing me, woohoo!! but there were so many times I ended up in tears as I ran around frantically calling his name because he had disappeared from sight, whilst I had pram, baby and groceries in tow, he is a beautiful looking child and I was constantly terrified that he would be taken, or hit by a car. I never ended up buying one of those leashes, but only because i couldnt find one in any of the shops near me, it would have saved my so much grief if I had one though, I wouldnt have cared what anyone thought, or that any other mother, who should have been sympathetic, was smugly tut tutting because 'I should be able to control my child' it was the people like that who only added to my distress, and I cant believe that other mums, woman who should know what toddlers are like, can tell another mum that trying to keep her baby close is a bad thing?
No, my son is not a dog, he is my most precious precious gift, more valuable to me than anything, and if a few people are put off by the thought of him being restrained whilst out in a busy public place, too bad, better some unsympathetic nasty stranger think bad of me than having my dear sweet angel taken by some fat disgusting sicko.
Rant over :o

reAllytee
11-07-2006, 21:33
coops & RB :yelclap:

Yasmeena - I have a 16mth old & you or anyone else can talk to him about staying by my side holding my hand or in his stroller without him screaming & crying like you have ripped his heart out by all means come to my house this weekend & i will give you a go at it !
You have obviously not encountered a child who is strong willed or who runs any chance they can get !
I would much rather deal with comments like yours or passers by than deal with an unhappy child who feels like he is being restricted by holding my hand or being in his stroller. He loves to be free & loves being a "big boy" so i wont hinder this step but infact cherish & encourage it without the fear of him getting hurt by someone or something.

Lunar
11-07-2006, 21:52
coops & RB :yelclap:

Yasmeena - I have a 16mth old & you or anyone else can talk to him about staying by my side holding my hand or in his stroller without him screaming & crying like you have ripped his heart out by all means come to my house this weekend & i will give you a go at it !
You have obviously not encountered a child who is strong willed or who runs any chance they can get !
I would much rather deal with comments like yours or passers by than deal with an unhappy child who feels like he is being restricted by holding my hand or being in his stroller. He loves to be free & loves being a "big boy" so i wont hinder this step but infact cherish & encourage it without the fear of him getting hurt by someone or something.

Well said lovey, well said!

I would llike to see someone get Emily (whos is now 4 by the way) to walk nicely by my side without runny off at a hundred miles an hour! I don't care about what ppl say or how they look at her and her "leash" I still use one, it is FAR better than her running of and falling down the stais or even worse! running on the road and being hit by a car or running off and someone picking her up and running off with her!!!!

BlessedWithBlue
11-07-2006, 22:57
My ds#1 isn't a runner so i haven't needed to get anything like that for him, if ds#2 turns out to be a runner (he isn't yet:fingerscrossed:) i will get one. My df absolutely detests them and tells me we will not ever be buying one and gets mad if i suggest it but the safety of my kids are my number one priority and i tend to get a bit frazzled if i go out by myself and the kids are acting up a bit so if we do need it i will be ignoring my df and getting one!

Tam-I-Am
12-07-2006, 11:25
Reading through this thread, its interesting to see that a lot of the people saying "I could never leash my child" either don't have children yet, or have children too young to need one, and those saying "Absolutely I'll use it - better that then him/her getting hurt/kidnapped/lost etc".

Claire is 12 months old and not walking yet. Thank god I don't have to worry about it yet. And she's such a placid bub that she sits happily in her pram unless shes EXHAUSTED - cause she jsut won't sleep anywhere but the car or her cot - so its not a concern at the moment.

I used to think that harnesses were awful, but reading through this thread, I can absolutely see the sense in them - and will buy and use one if it becomes necessary to do so. I would never have made comments about harnessed children before - but now I'll make extra sure to smile at mums using one. One friendly face might make a change from all the negativity they face!

poshBecks
12-07-2006, 12:58
I used to think that harnesses were awful, but reading through this thread, I can absolutely see the sense in them - and will buy and use one if it becomes necessary to do so. I would never have made comments about harnessed children before - but now I'll make extra sure to smile at mums using one. One friendly face might make a change from all the negativity they face!
Ahh refreshing!! :D Thankyou!

Ds is a runner!! My main concern is someone taking him!! PPl who comment in the shopping centre or wherever have no right to. We are protecting our children. I dont see how it is cruel unless its done up too tight.
What would they say if my 2 year old got taken? "ooh she should've been watching" Kids are just too quick.

I know a lady who is an ambo, & her worst call out was to an accident where a toddler pulled away from holding her dads hand & ran onto a main road. When she got there she said she prayed that the little girl would actually die her injuries were that horrific!! :crying:

Since hearing about that... I take no chances!!

sam's mum
12-07-2006, 14:13
I wanted to get one for my daughter when she was little because she would take off everywhere. BUT, my first husband was dead against it because...she is not a dog, I will just teach her to come when I call her :laughing: :laughing:

Supermum
12-07-2006, 14:51
DITTO - thank you Clarabelle, could have done with a friendly face way back when!

I never liked harnesses either until I had a child who hated the pram, was walking/running at 10 months and had no concept of action/consequence and therefore no understanding of the safety issues. You do what you gotta do to protect them is my only defence and I care not about the scowls I got along the way. My son is now 3 and a half, free from absconding behaviour and whole (as opposed to squashed).

SassyMummy
12-07-2006, 23:30
My DD does not yet walk (though she's starting to take steps on her own here and there...), so I have yet to discover whether a harness would be valuable to me or not.

However, if I DO need one, then I most certainly WILL get one. I don't think they're degrading or anything...being strapped into a harness is more freeing than being strapped into a pram/carrier/trolley SURELY?

I'd much rather have my child be able to practice her new skill (walking) in public than restrict her to a pram and have her whinge and cry and try to climb out (she's already starting to do that and she can't even walk yet!).

jessgray
13-07-2006, 10:07
my DP detests the use of harnesses. which i think is stupid coz he isnt the one who takes ds1 out (ds is turning into a runner)

FourAngelKisses
13-07-2006, 10:12
hehe....that is when you send him and DS out on an errand or something. He will then come home and say "honey....we really should get a leash for DS".

annsam
13-07-2006, 14:05
They have wrist straps too so you dont have to use harnesses. I personally dont like the look of harnesses though I do like their purpose so I got a wrist strap but its still in its packaging. :rolleyes:

FourAngelKisses
13-07-2006, 14:10
I find the wrist strap makes them get tangled easier. Maybe I was just using mine wrong or something, lol. He kept running in circles and getting wrapped up.

Mummabear
14-07-2006, 16:52
I would never have made comments about harnessed children before - but now I'll make extra sure to smile at mums using one. One friendly face might make a change from all the negativity they face!

Me too, after reading this thread. :smiliedance: to parents putting the safety of their children first and foremost. :yelclap: if you're lucky enough to have a toddler that doesn't run off in the first place though :laughing:

kymmy
14-07-2006, 17:08
I was lucky with my girl that she always stays by me.
Not so with my boy - he has no qualms about shopping on his own.
On the occassions that we lose him (!) they say "I don't think he will wander again"
Oh yes he will! and has unfortunately.
He is over 3 so not really a toddler but he just thinks that he is old enough to do his own thing! It can get very frustrating.
So I said to him I am going to buy a leash and he said "Ok Mummy" so I thought oh he wants one:rolleyes: hmmm!
I keep it in my bag so if I have to I take it out.
Personally I would rather not use it but when it comes to safety I will.
I understand that is the best way to keep a young wanderer child safe.

FourAngelKisses
14-07-2006, 19:16
Good for you Kym!! And good on your son for wanting one too. I think kids gets too caught up in what they are doing and "forget" that they need to stay with us. He must realise this.

EskimoMumma
14-07-2006, 19:29
I like the wrist ones.

They look nicer than the "harness".

My mother had them for me and my brother when were toddlers. I'll never forget this day. She bought them specifically for the trip to Disneyworld, and my clever 3-4year old brother took his wrist leash off, strapped it toa thin pole and took off when my mum wasnt looking :laughing: :laughing:

Was a classic...:laughing:

If DD turns into a runner I will be getting one

FourAngelKisses
14-07-2006, 20:40
LOL, that is too funny.

kymmy
14-07-2006, 21:15
Good for you Kym!! And good on your son for wanting one too. I think kids gets too caught up in what they are doing and "forget" that they need to stay with us. He must realise this.

He just loves shopping obviously!
The most memorable time he wandered off he had made his way to the supermarket while my hubby was distracted by the book store :cool:
which was on the other side of a major shopping centre.
Thank goodness to the security guard who found him!
He thought it was a lovely adventure.
Needless to say I don't get out much.:o

Mummabear
15-07-2006, 00:14
I was apparently so bad as a toddler that all of my Aunties ended up refusing to go shopping with my Mother if she had me with her :o. I would hide in the middle of the clothes racks and run off all the time, thinking it was a wonderful game - until Mum got the harness, then I suddenly wasn't quite so clever :rolleyes:.

Needless to say I'm pretty sure karma is going to come and bite me in the bum and give me a runner or two :laughing:

little mermaid
15-07-2006, 01:06
Does anyone know if toys r Us still sell those monkey harness things, I have been to 2 stores and could not find them?

Nothereanymore
15-07-2006, 08:00
Does anyone know if toys r Us still sell those monkey harness things, I have been to 2 stores and could not find them?

They sure do, I got one on wednesday :thumbsup:

Pippi Longstocking
18-07-2006, 08:34
Reading through this thread, its interesting to see that a lot of the people saying "I could never leash my child" either don't have children yet, or have children too young to need one, and those saying "Absolutely I'll use it - better that then him/her getting hurt/kidnapped/lost etc".

I have 5 kids - ranging in age from 11 years to 9 months. My first was a runner - she was lightening fast and always on a mission to bolt. Yet I would never degrade my child by strapping them to my side. Instead, I spent quite a bit of time and energy teacher her to walk next to me. We went in to town quite a few times as trial runs - as soon as she started to bolt, I would grab her and we'd go straight home. She learned quickly that if she ran away, we wouldn't go to the park or do anything fun.

I really do think that it is a matter of parenting styles and input rather than "well you wouldn't understand unless you had a little horror like I did/do" etc. I would rather put the energy in to teach my child how to walk safely than take the easy option and put her on a lead.

Supermum
18-07-2006, 08:45
I really do think that it is a matter of parenting styles and input rather than "well you wouldn't understand unless you had a little horror like I did/do" etc. I would rather put the energy in to teach my child how to walk safely than take the easy option and put her on a lead.
I am an attentive, intelligent and resourceful woman and parent and a harness was my last resort. I find it offensive that you assume that because a parent resorts to this method, they clearly have not put enough time and effort in trying to overcome the hurdle. Have you considered that perhaps there just may be a child out there not as easily swayed or directed as yours? Easy on the judgement please.

Pippi Longstocking
18-07-2006, 08:59
Heh, had you've met my daughter back then, I think maybe you'd not be calling her "easily swayed" ;)

It's not a judgement so settle, petal. I was offering my experience, that is all. I personally (you know, me, the person writing this post about myself and my child) chose to put a lot of effort into teaching her to walk with me rather than use force at her dignity's expense. It is about me and her, not you and yours....

FourAngelKisses
18-07-2006, 09:02
I too put a lot of effort into teaching my child to stay by my side, but he still wandered off when he got distracted by bright colours and toys etc.

Supermum
18-07-2006, 09:19
Heh, had you've met my daughter back then, I think maybe you'd not be calling her "easily swayed" ;) It's not a judgement so settle, petal. I was offering my experience, that is all. I personally (you know, me, the person writing this post about myself and my child) chose to put a lot of effort into teaching her to walk with me rather than use force at her dignity's expense. It is about me and her, not you and yours....
And again, I still find it offensive that you use terms such as 'force' and 'dignity's expense' to describe the choice that myself and some others here have made. You make the assumption that because your methodology/ies worked, we must have done something wrong or lack experience. And whilst you say it's about you and your child, you are judging me and mine by using those 'descriptive' terms.

Pippi Longstocking
18-07-2006, 09:29
Nooo, once again I am talking about myself and my child. When I referred to dignity, I felt that strapping my child to a leash would be at her dignities expense. I felt that she would have felt humiliated and degraded. I am not talking about how you or your child feels.

By the same token, I could say that I am offended that you think I am wrong because you feel that it is ok to restrain your child. But that would be silly, eh! ;)

reAllytee
18-07-2006, 09:58
Oh honestly just because your child was easily taught doesnt mean everyone elses can be so how about you realise that because it wasnt necessary for you & your child that sometimes its the last resort of many other parents & often the safest route for many others.
I find it amusing you think you can reason with a small child, i dont think i have met any parent who can but then maybe your special.
Just because your talking about your child in your posts doesnt mean we are all stupid enough not to read between the lines about what you really are saying.
Yes bad me im a terrible parent with no parenting skills, bad bad me.

Lil X-men
18-07-2006, 10:06
We have the same backpack, its SO cute and Andrew just loves dogs, so gets very excited to see it. We are still only using it at home at the moment, when he walks in the unfenced front yard, trying to teach him to stop running for the road! Haven't had need to use it at the shops yet, as I usually just carry him, but I will certainly prefer to have him on a "leash" rather than running away. He is just SO quick and definitely wouldn't come back to me if I just called his name - he's just too curious about the world. Rather be safe than sorry!
Yes we have the same but it is a monkey, he gets so many comments on how cute it looks on him!! My kid is a regular houdini so I wouldn't go out without it on him!! I would hate soemone to snatch off with my little man.
He is 15months old and I could scream and call him him back until I was blue in face ( believe me I have done so ) and he would still keep running away, he is so young and niave that he has no understandiong of fear and danger so I think a harness for us is a neccessary piece of equipment.
My hats off to all the mums who can manage to maintain a child at their side without one, especially at 15months old!
I got mine off ebay but you can get them of bumpto3 website for $29.95. Hope that is ok to post.

Lil X-men
18-07-2006, 10:17
BTW my son doesn't feel degraded in his harness, he actually smiles and giggles at all the attention he gets in it as he looks so cute!!

reAllytee
18-07-2006, 10:29
BTW my son doesn't feel degraded in his harness, he actually smiles and giggles at all the attention he gets in it as he looks so cute!!

Same !!!!
Mine actually puts his fingers through the front section & struts !!!!
Tis hilarious !!!!
He loooooooooooooooooooooooooves the attention .... Typical male :rolleyes: ;)

Areca
18-07-2006, 10:35
I have no need to use one at this stage but I'm all for them!!! My sis and I were never the type of kids to run off (ok my sister did it once, but that was the only time) so I'm hoping DD follows suit but if she's a runner you bet she'll on a harness. I agree with what everyone has said that are all for them so no need to repeat!
Edit - I don't see why they have to be classed as cruel, embarassing to the child etc. After all, they are a parenting aid. One might argue that they don't need parenting aids but a pram, a carrier, toys, a cot, a play pen etc. etc. are all parenting aids. Personally I'd rather see a toddler in a harness that a way too big kid stuffed into a stroller because they are runners and their parent's wouldn't be so cruel as to 'put them on a leash.'

Pippi Longstocking
18-07-2006, 10:38
Oh honestly just because your child was easily taught doesnt mean everyone elses can be so how about you realise that because it wasnt necessary for you & your child that sometimes its the last resort of many other parents & often the safest route for many others.

[text deleted by moderator] No, my child wasn't easily taught. It took lots of time and effort. That is what I chose to do because I felt that that wwas a kinder option to MY CHILD. [text deleted by moderator]

FourAngelKisses
18-07-2006, 11:42
I too spent lots of time and effort trying to teach MY child that it was safer to stay with me because I thought it was better for MY child too than a harness. But even though I did put in the time and effort MY child still wandered when I wasn't able to take the pram for him.

tickle
18-07-2006, 11:51
Please keep it nice everyone. What has worked for one is definately not going to work for all. Lets move on.

FourAngelKisses
18-07-2006, 11:58
My apologies :o

WeThree
18-07-2006, 18:30
Norah I am genuinly curious, how did you 'train' a 12-18 mth old baby to stay with you? I know lots of people say keep them in the pram, or just dont take them out to run errands, but some of us have husbands who work and/or are away, ALOT and dont have anyone nearby to ever have our children for us whilst we run necessary errands, such as take older children to school, etc. I dont know if you read my earlier post in this thread but I mentioned how my son, who was around 18mths at the time, would jump out of his pram, by standing and climbing out of the straps, every time we so much as slowed down and that it was terrible sressful for me as I had a newborn as well at the time. Anyway, (and this is a serious question as I now have another child the same age) what would you have done to stop him doing this? I have patiently and gently taught him that this is wrong, and he now longer runs away from me (well very very rarely) but what would you do in the mean time? I mean an 18mth old baby doesnt learn overnight that this is wrong, they just think it is funny that mummy is chasing them, they have quite a short memory span and no understanding of consequences, and I wasnt prepared to smack him or anything like that :( , so how would I have dealt with at the time?? Teaching a child takes time, but I needed my son to be safe right then and there, I just dont understand how your child immediately was able to do what you wanted her to do?

kymmy
18-07-2006, 19:19
No, my child wasn't easily taught. It took lots of time and effort. That is what I chose to do because I felt that that wwas a kinder option to MY CHILD.

How many children do u have?
I think if you only have one child to worry about, it may be somewhat easier to 'train' them.
The truth is all kids are unique and different in many ways.

supamumma
18-07-2006, 19:28
Just thought I'd add my two cents worth! DD is a runner, a 'taker offerer', a bolter! So far we have been preventative of any major mishaps by only letting her be free to raom in a wide open park where it is easy to spot her or at the shops when there are the two of us. Luckily she is not superquick yet but I know it is only a matter of time until she learns to sprint. I have bad knees and fear the day when she is quicker than me.

I have looked at the harnesses other children wear and always try to give the Mum a smile, because I totally understand the anxiety of losing them and the constant pressure of feeling on your guard for any sudden exits.We will definately be looking into them, especially as she gest older and if we have another baby to juggle.

As for previous posts re training your child to stay etc. I am a social worker who works with parents and children and developmentally 18 mths olds (which my bubba is) generally have little sense of consequences. Some children just have it in their natures to be more energetic, whilst others are happy to stay close to Mum. You've got to work with what you've got.

I guess what saddens me about some of the posts is the patronising element and position of 'my way is the best way'. Why are Mums so hard on each other?? I just wish we could all encourage each other to parent the way that fits best for our child,even if that is radically different from anothers way.:confused:

kymmy
18-07-2006, 20:06
('my way is the best way'. Why are Mums so hard on each other?? I just wish we could all encourage each other to parent the way that fits best for our child,even if that is radically different from anothers way.:confused:

I agree totally.
Parenting is the hardest job in the world.

Pippi Longstocking
18-07-2006, 20:39
Kymmy, I have 5 children;)

Coops, re "I dont know if you read my earlier post in this thread but I mentioned how my son, who was around 18mths at the time, would jump out of his pram, by standing and climbing out of the straps, every time we so much as slowed down and that it was terrible sressful for me as I had a newborn as well at the time. Anyway, (and this is a serious question as I now have another child the same age) what would you have done to stop him doing this?". Your little man sounds a lot like my oldest was. She could wiggle her way out of a five point harness in the blink of an eye. She was a wee skinny little monkey girl! The way I prevented using what I considered a drastic option of using a leash was by being super persistent. She loved having a play at the park so I'd tell her that if she ran off, we'd go straight home and she wouldn't be allowed to play. I'd go into town with nothing planned so that we could "practice". It took a few goes but eventually, she caught on that if she bolted, we went straight home. Persistance, vigilance and gentle reinforcement does work, even on stubborn monkeys:rolleyes: . Oh and this was when i was a single mum, so I can relate to not having anyone else to rely on.

*this is not directed at anyone, just a general observation*Parenting is hard work. I think that often people look for easy solutions, often at the child's expense. It is tedious and frustrating to take a bolter shopping. I know that better than anyone. But it is part of the deal. It just meant that for a few months, I had to be hyper vigilant and make sure I always watched her when we were out. Now that cheeky monkey bolter child of mine is the most content, happy, secure, clever 11 year old. Personally, I reckon it was worth it.

WeThree
18-07-2006, 20:44
Fair enough, I was actually hoping for some real advice, I certainly wasnt being sarcastic, I never actually used one, but I wished I had, I had one to many close calls for my liking, I would turn to pay for something ,and he would be up, out and gone, sometimes all the vigilance in the world isnt enough to save them, I was one of the lucky ones, but thanks anyway. :)

Pippi Longstocking
18-07-2006, 20:44
Oh and supamumma, I am a social work student, qualified youth worker and parenting course facilitator and my training has taught me to view things a little differently to you. My training has taught me that gentle guidance rather than forceful methods are more effective and kinder to the child's mental health.

And yes, I agree. Those that do use the harnesses certainly do seem to have a "my way is the best way" attitude. It is a little sad, hey! ;)

Pippi Longstocking
18-07-2006, 21:05
Coops, can't answer your pm cos your box is full. Now my hilarity is wasted!:p

WeThree
18-07-2006, 21:07
Oh not again!! How embarressment :o Off to empty it now...
Gee its tough being popular :rolleyes: :p

Lil X-men
18-07-2006, 21:18
:eek:
Now everytime I go out with my child I am going to worry that I will bump into someone giving me a bad look because because I am "choosing the easy option" by using a harness. It's like the guilt I had to deal with when bottle feeding in public, it's just plain craziness!!!!
Sometimes I feel so frustrated, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Who cares what the experts say, or anyone says on here, just do what you feel is the best option for you and your kids.
I am going to keep using the harness as I know that no one will be stealing off with my little man if my back is turned for a second, and I will try not to feel gulity about using it too!

Lunar
18-07-2006, 21:31
OK, now here it is....
I'd like to see ANYONE try and make my DD walk beside them while out. It is IMPOSSIBLE!!! She runs off, and I am very scared that she will hurt herself. This in no way is the 'easy way out' for me. It is for her safety! She doesn't have any danger sense at all. And if she doesn't want to sit in the pram she will kick and scream and carry on like I am ripping her legs off or something. She has a harness that looks like a little back pack come stuffed dog, it is pretty cute and she loves dogs so she doesn't mind wearing it. This is the ONLY way I can get her to walk beside me. It has a 'tail' that I can hook around my wrist. She walk pretty good with it on, only stopping once in a while to throw herself on the floor, but hey, she's still learning and I consider the harness more like training wheels.

Until you yourself have a child that is a very stubborn and willful child (to say the very least) please don't judge others, we are all just trying to do the best for our children.

reAllytee
18-07-2006, 21:33
Julie :hugs:
Your a great mama dont ever let yourself think otherwise :thumbsup:

Harmony83
18-07-2006, 21:36
Isn't it bizarre how such a small thing could cause so much contraversy (sp), must we add this to the list of things for us mothers too argue about rather than support - breast vs bottle, disposable vs cloth, co-sleeping vs independant sleeping now harness vs no harness :eek: ...

Me, personally, I am looking into getting a harness for my 15 1/2 mth old boy.
I think of the harness as an extension of a mums hand. I think its alot safer (especially in this day) to have a harness on a child than risk losing them, it only takes 1/2 second for you to blink and they are gone... I think it would be more traumatic for a child to get lost in a big shopping centre then for them to have a harness on...

Lunar
18-07-2006, 21:38
Isn't it bizarre how such a small thing could cause so much contraversy (sp), must we add this to the list of things for us mothers too argue about rather than support - breast vs bottle, disposable vs cloth, co-sleeping vs independant sleeping now harness vs no harness :eek: ...

I think of the harness as an extension of a mums hand. I think its alot safer (especially in this day) to have a harness on a child than risk losing them, it only takes 1/2 second for you to blink and they are gone... I think it would be more traumatic for a child to get lost in a big shopping centre then for them to have a harness on...

:yelclap: Exactly! Go on, be a bad mum, buy a harness....:laughing: JJ....

Lil X-men
18-07-2006, 21:38
Thank you Allyoo :hugs:
I think we are all good mums on here, but we get so crazy about what is the best for our kids, we just have to make decisions and hope at the end of the day that we are doing the right thing!!

Lil X-men
18-07-2006, 21:40

Very true indeed, like I said you are damned if you do and damned if you don't with everything to do with parenting lol!!

reAllytee
18-07-2006, 21:41
:yelclap: Exactly! Go on, be a bad mum, buy a harness....:laughing: JJ....

Yaya we can all be bad mums together :p :devil6:

Lunar
18-07-2006, 21:46
Maybe all us harness loving mamas can get together one day, tie all the kids around a tree and have some coffee in peace!:laughing: JJ...JJ..JJ:p

We should make our own group, harness lovers anonymous...:laughing: ok enough from me now....:o naughty girl, naughty girl.....

rynosmum
18-07-2006, 21:47
I had planned to buy my DS a harness, the little backpack one, when he stopped being in his pram so often.

Surprisingly though, I started talking to him about walking with us (he's 25 months old) and he has been very willing. He knows that if we are in a park, he can run. If we are in a shop or definately near a road, he has to hold our hand.

He occasionally rebels against it and I just tell him that he can't get down until he agrees to hold my hand. Which surprisingly, he then does.

Go figure - I've been able to negotiate with a 2 year old !:laughing:

That said, if he was more strong-willed, I would buy a harness and use it without hesitation.:yes: Their safety is worth more than anything.

Lil X-men
18-07-2006, 21:56
[QUOTE=EmysMum]Maybe all us harness loving mamas can get together one day, tie all the kids around a tree and have some coffee in peace!
QUOTE]

I am laughing so hard right now!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Just the visual of it in my head is hilarious, terrrible but funny!!

reAllytee
18-07-2006, 22:11
Oh but thats what your meant to do isnt it :rolleyes:

Ok im sorry im bad too :o

Back to the thread ......

Beany
18-07-2006, 22:35
I don't actually see how a harness is any more degrading than holding a child firmly by the hand when out.

One of my many nephews was very inquisitive and energetic: he wanted to go and look at the tree, he wanted to chase the pigeons and he generally just wanted to feel a little independent when out. The harness worked a treat with him because he could do all that while I still knew with absolute certainty that he couldn't run off onto the road to have a look at the shiny puddle. He didn't seem to mind - he didn't kick up a fuss about putting the thing on at all nor did he attempt to wriggle out of it when we were out.

Sure, it CAN BE degrading if it's used as a punishment, when the child is explicitly or implicitly told that "you have to wear this because you're naughty and not to be trusted" but if that isn't the mentality associated with the use of the harness, I honestly see no problem.

annb
19-07-2006, 14:11
just wanted to share my outing today to the zoo....DS wore his monkey harness and believe it or not he didnt feel degraded or humiliated....in fact these are some of the comments i heard when i was walking around
'oh look isnt he cute'
'what a brilliant idea'
'oh my god look at him thats adorable'
'wow look at that harness its fantastic'
'oh that is what we need'
'look at that monkey isnt it great'
and in fact a few people even stopped me to ask were i got it from
whenever he has worn it i have only ever heard positive comments, he was still able to chase after birds and look at the animals

this argument is never going to finish but i love my harness and so does DS

WeThree
19-07-2006, 14:40
Sure, it CAN BE degrading if it's used as a punishment, when the child is explicitly or implicitly told that "you have to wear this because you're naughty and not to be trusted" but if that isn't the mentality associated with the use of the harness, I honestly see no problem.

Yup, this is what I think too, if I was to put one on my son and drag him around whilst he screamed or something THAT would be degrading, but if I had put one on him and it had allowed him to explore and venture a little bit ahead of me whilst we walked, and he was happy, then I wouldnt have had a problem with that one bit :)

Lunar
19-07-2006, 18:47
just wanted to share my outing today to the zoo....DS wore his monkey harness and believe it or not he didnt feel degraded or humiliated....in fact these are some of the comments i heard when i was walking around
'oh look isnt he cute'
'what a brilliant idea'
'oh my god look at him thats adorable'
'wow look at that harness its fantastic'
'oh that is what we need'
'look at that monkey isnt it great'
and in fact a few people even stopped me to ask were i got it from
whenever he has worn it i have only ever heard positive comments, he was still able to chase after birds and look at the animals

this argument is never going to finish but i love my harness and so does DS

DD has the same one exceot hers is the dog one! I have had a few comments on what a good idea and how cute it is:yes: :thumbsup:

xkwzit
19-07-2006, 20:17
I've been known to pick up DD2 and tuck her, kicking and screaming under my arm when she doesn't want to walk with me. I wonder if she'd prefer a harness??

Cheers

Lunar
19-07-2006, 20:26
Give it a go X, you can only try it out.

Nothereanymore
19-07-2006, 20:30
When MJ wears her monkey harness, we get all the cute comments too. We're yet to hear a put down about it :thumbsup: I honestly dont think many people realise its a harness, they think its just a backpack.

Oh & MJ loves hers. If she see's it, she stops what she's doing, comes over & puts her arms out to get it put on :yes:

Lil X-men
20-07-2006, 00:00
Oh dont they think they are just the bees knees with them on!!! It's the attention they get that makes them beam with pride when they strut around with them on!!
Most comments I get are, "hey little fulla theres a monkey on your back!!!"
Other women have come after me asking where did you get that from it's such a nice idea, as opposed to a plain harness.
I think it could be a viable business op for someone looking for ideas, as a friend I and were talking about them the other day and she said she wished you could girly ones, with a fairy or something like that on the back. As far I have seen you can only get puppies and monkeys.:smiliedance:

hippee
21-07-2006, 16:38
I'm all for them. My son was a runner and we walk to our local shops. He ran in front of me one day, I was calling "stop" he ran faster, I was chasing... I managed to catch him before he got to the road (just) but from that day on, harness all the way.

Sometimes If we were washing the car or gardening, we would tie (by the harness) him to our front deck with an exteneded bit of rope that reached to the footpath so he had free range of the yard and was outside with us but couldn't get away! People walking past would tell us what a great idea it was!