View Full Version : Advice on VBAC v C for No 2
Just wondered whether anyone out there has gone/is going through a simliar experience as myself? I am unsure of how best to proceed and whether to opt for private v public health care as a result - will it make any difference?
I had an emer. c-section 13 months ago with birth of my daughter. While she was fine, my bowels "stopped working" as the result of the surgery, and I had an extremely traumatic and unpleasant experience, obviously at a time that is supposed to be so great. I went public with this birth.
I am now due again in Dec and wondering:
1. Would it make a difference if I went private instead of public?
2. would it be better just to opt for an elective c section if I can?
My daughter was 4.51 kilos and I have been told, the next one is likely to be larger, and I am high risk of the same complications as last time should I proceed to c...which being quite a slim build I am thinking is likely???
My head is telling me to schedule an elective, as least then I can prepare mentally for the trauma should the same complications arise after bub2 is born, but the doctor is saying try VBAC and see what happens....
I am very confused, and wondering should I bite the bullet, go private and hope for better luck this time round?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
hello hope some info will help .
as for private or public i have only ever gone public dont know anything about private. i had my first child as a emer c/ section and went on to have vbac all was fine
the point is what ever you feel is right for you private or public hosp or other c/ section or vbac maybe talk to someone at a private hosp see how they do things there . and get as much info as you can . and at the end of day it is you that has to be happy with what ever choice you make . i hope this helps :)
I would personally plan a VBAC but that's just me. The more c/s you have the less chance of being able to have vaginal births in future. I just had a baby and had to fight like crazy to be able to trial a vba2c.... Just something to think about.:rolleyes:
On the private V's public I don't think there's much difference in the quality of care I think it's more about being able to get elective surgery faster and private rooms and being able to choose your Dr. I think that's about the only difference ( please feel free to tell me if I'm wrong)
I don't have much to say about the private vs public, But i did want to say, that don't expect your next baby to be bigger because you are told that is always the case. No one knows the exact size of a baby until it is actually born (even ultrasound is very inaccurate!)
I had a 4.55kg baby as my first. My 2nd was 3.9kg and my 3rd was 3.48kgs!
So mine got smaller with each birth.
Also, every birth is different, because your body has changed from your first pregnancy, and it is a different baby, most likely different size, may be different gestation when it is born, and well may be positioned differently.
The choice to CS or not is yours to make. But if you plan more than this 2nd child, you will be hard pressed to find people who will support a VBA2C's if you decide later down the track you would like to try for one. There are many women who are told they can't birth vaginally after their first c/s who give a VBAC a try and succeed, and are thrilled that they are able to!
don't expect your next baby to be bigger because you are told that is always the case.
I second this I was told Thomas was going to be 3.6kg and was born 4.390!!!:eek:
I've had exactly the same debate, I'm due with my 2nd in Dec. I've decided private and to try for VBAC and my reasons are:
- private because if there's risk of complications i'd rather be confident in my care provider and to know i've got a specialist on side who I know and more importantly who knows me. Also the local public here doesn't have the best rep.
- I wan't VBAC becasue personally it means a lot to me to have a VB. Its all in my head really but its just something I really want. CS would be easier and probably safer in that its controlled.
I guess you need to think about what it means to you. What is the benefit to you for a VB? An emergency CS is traumatic and its perfectly understandable to not want to go through it twice. Good luck with whatever you decide and remember you don't have to make the CS/VBAC call until the near the end.
Thank you all for your informative reply. The more I speak to people the less I seem to think the private v public debate means - at least at the hospital I will be attending.
Will have a think and try and evaluate which is the better option, for the new baby, Baby #1 and myself.....
Really appreciate your input. It all helps, and hey, maybe the next baby won't be a giant like the last one.
Goodluck with everything!:flowerz:
I am also going through the cs vs vbac debate at the moment. My second is due in Sept. I had an elective cs with my first because he was breech. I am on-track to try for a vbac this time. My personal feelings on the matter is why schedule surgery if it is unnecessary.
I am also very scared at how I am going to cope if I end up having another cs. I have a 2-yr toddler and not being able to pick him up (to put him in the car, highchair, change table, bath etc) will be a huge trial.
I am going public this time (I went private last time) because of finances. I feel that my chances will be better for a vbac going public as the midwives are very supportive and the obst seems less involved - but that is just gut feeling. I don't think the level of care you are going to get will change whether it is public or private.
December is still a long way away, and I think you should leave it for another couple of months before you settle on one option. Maybe you should go with a vbac, because you can always change your mind and schedule a cs. Wait to see if bubby is going to be a big one. Labour could be very different this time, and if the medical staff are aware of previous complications, they can plan for it.
I am trying the approach of "go with the flow". I have read many stories of women who feel let down by their birth experience - especially those who try for a vbac but have another cs. I try to concentrate on a healthy baby - no matter what way it is delivered. Positive thinking will get you through a lot.
Good luck! :flowerz:
Just had another thought to add... what ever you do decide make sure you have fully researched ALL you options and write a detailed birthplan. Ok it might end up going out the window but at least the midwives will have an idea of what you think your ideal delivery might be.
If it were me, I would VBAC. As a PP said, why schedule surgery if it is not needed. Do you know for certain the same complication will occur? If I were you I would find an OB to discusse this with, even if you choose to go public, I would talk to a private practitioner to get an unbiased opinion.
I had a c/s with my first (she was breech) I have since had 2 uneventful, successful VBAC's with 4kg babies. My c/s was straight forward and recovery very good with no complications. However, after experiencing both (and one VBAC drug free) I would opt for a vaginal birth every time unless there was a serious medical reaseon not to. I do regret opting for a c/s with my first. My OB was skilled at breech birth but I was a fearful first timer and balked at the idea.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.