PDA

View Full Version : Loans for people on centerlink payments

mum2bubba
01-07-2009, 15:26
Is there such a thing? I need to take out a car loan or a small personal loan ($5000) but because I don't work I'm not sure if I can. Otherwise it'd have to go into Grant's name.

Does anyone know of any places that do car/personal loans to people on pensions/c/link payments?

TIA

HarvestMoon
01-07-2009, 18:48
There are all those small dodgy companies that you see ads for in local papers. They do loans for people on centrelink payments. I would hate to see what the interest rates and conditions of the loan are though.

Apparently the CBA gives out loans up to $15,000 for people on pensions these days.

Because you are partnered and your parnter is working i thnk you would stand more of a chance getting a loan together or otherwise as you said put it in your partners name.

Semana
01-07-2009, 19:01
The only place I know of is Motor Finance Wizard but apparently they are a rip off.

confusd
01-07-2009, 19:02
You might have a better chance because your partnered, if you have savings or save like $50 a fortnight/ week to show you can save it helps.

the CBA is apparently good for pensioner loans.
Although dont get your hopes up to much.
Dont go with wizard or get car loans. ive heard they are both horrible.

ILovePink
01-07-2009, 19:25
Haven't we been over this in two prior threads:confused::confused::confused:

mum2bubba
01-07-2009, 20:50
No. I am asking if I can get a loan in my name alone. If there are any places that do loans for people on centerlink payments.

We have $1000 saved already (well actually a bit more but I can only put $1000 on down payment) and we also have a joint account. would any of this make a difference?

HarvestMoon
01-07-2009, 20:58
You could give it a shot. I don't think you would stand much of a chance though.

ILovePink
01-07-2009, 21:41
You could give it a shot. I don't think you would stand much of a chance though.

:iagree:

mum2bubba
01-07-2009, 21:45
So basically I probably won't be able to get a loan in my name then?

ILovePink
01-07-2009, 21:48
Give it a go and see. What is the worst that can happen?? They say no?? well at lease then you know where you stand!

After you have done this then perhaps you might have a little more luck in convincing that DH of yours to put the TV on the back burner.

HarvestMoon
01-07-2009, 21:50
So basically I probably won't be able to get a loan in my name then?

yeah it sucks but there is very little chance of you getting approved.

Kayangel
01-07-2009, 21:52
YES!!!! u can get a loan.

There is a place in Cranbourne, called money 3, its on high street, they borrow money to people on centrelink without any problems, its easy to get and upto 5grand u can borrow.

Just take it bank statement and a record of how much u get from centrelink.

MsMummy
01-07-2009, 21:57

There is a place in Cranbourne, called money 3, its on high street, they borrow money to people on centrelink without any problems, its easy to get and upto 5grand u can borrow.

Be careful about the interest rates on short term finance etc.:yes:

You haven't talked him around about the TV yet? He's being really foolish if he would rather pay interest on a loan than defer a plasma! Maybe show him the thread where his idea was shouted down.:D:hugs:

ILovePink
01-07-2009, 21:58

It is a worry that these types of places are allowed to exist:no::no:

I had a look at their website and instead of paying interest they charge you one flat fee, I wonder what that fee is:confused::confused:

ethansmum08
01-07-2009, 21:58
the commonwealth bank is good i just got a 33000 lone for husbands new car in both names and im on centerlink

MsMummy
01-07-2009, 22:03
It is a worry that these types of places are allowed to exist:no::no:

I had a look at their website and instead of paying interest they charge you one flat fee, I wonder what that fee is:confused::confused:

I wonder if it's their way of getting around the interest rate caps on consumer lending (I think they have them in Victoria).

But, yeah, stay as far away from these arrangements as possible unless you're really desperate.

mum2bubba
01-07-2009, 22:24
I can't convince him about the car and all that. I have tried speaking to him about it a zillion times but nothing. He isn't being 'foolish' hes being a f@ckwit.

Anywway, enough venting...

I will ring a few places and see what happens. I don't really want the loan in his name cos if sh!t hits the fan and we break up he could take the car (even though he doesn't drive). I don't really want a loan at all especially since we have the money (just waiting on tax and all that) but like I said I can't get Grant on board so will probably have to get one.

If we have to get a loan we can pay it all back with the baby bonus installments anyway but then of course theres interest too.

I wish I was a millionaire. :rolleyes:

RockmelonDreams
01-07-2009, 23:27
Haven't we been over this in two prior threads:confused::confused::confused:

:iagree:If you couldn't get the finance for a new television because you said you had bad credit, then I doubt you'll get a car loan as it's going to be a higher amount & it's not just the $5000 for the car you also have extra fee's like the application fee which is not refundable if your knocked back for the loan at most banks. It can be up to $300 just to process the loan & that's before they even say yes or no to lending you the money with most banks.

You can buy a brand new reasonable size television for around $650.00 in this weeks catalogues from Big W, Kmart or Target. To be spending $1500 plus on a big screen Plasma television is a want, but it's not a need.

I know this doesn't help your situation but you need to do what's best for your children and put their needs before your husbands wants no matter how harsh that may sound. There are so many people out there who don't have a television or car at all who would give anything to have what you have.

Whispers
01-07-2009, 23:41
i heard vinnies do no interest loans up to 1200 for white goods and televisions payments are like 20 bucks a week i will look it up and check

Whispers
01-07-2009, 23:51
No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS)

The St Vincent de Paul Society operates a No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) which will lend up to $1200* to low income earners, with low repayments from $20 per fortnight, for the purchase of essential electrical white goods, such as refrigerators, washing machines, or televisions.

Opinionated
02-07-2009, 00:20
I don't know why he gets to call all the shots. You have a 26yo laser that won't be able to carry your whole family, yet he wants a wall mounted tv first? Far out.

Buy yourself a car from the auctions, you shoud be able to pay for it with your savings and the tv money. Falcons are reasonable and fit 3 carseats in them. Then load up the car and drive far far away from tv boy. I can't believe his priorities or you not standing up to him.
You won't have a car to take your new baby to the doctor in?? Are you all serious.

You don't want the car in his name "incase you break up", yet you are allowing him to spend 2.5K on a tv with money you have saved? I guess if you break up, you get the loan repayments, he gets the tv. I think you both need to sort your priorities out. No wonder the baby bonus is now paid in instalments.

mum2bubba
02-07-2009, 10:26
I have told him a zillion times about this. One of his friends have also said things to him aswell. The more I push him the more angry he gets. I mentioned this to him yesterday again and he told me never to bring it up again. WHAT THE F@CK CAN I DO? We live close to everything so I can walk places and catch public transport (I do now).

I obviously have to take out a loan so thats what I will do (if I can) or I will just wait 6 months or there abouts. Yes, I am sick of being walked all over I am seeing a councellor for it soon but I don't know what to do or say without him getting angry. Maybe I will show him the cost of the interest rates and all those hidden extras which come with loans and maybe he might wake up.

I am sick of everyone on here judging me because we're getting a wide screen tv. Its not ME that wants it, its him. I have told him nicely, I have also yelled at him several times and said I would take all the money we've saved and spend it on a car but he gets angry. We are on the rocks at the moment and I do not need any more stress.

I just need a car. Yesterday.

I might ask my dad for $4000 and tell him we can pay him back with the baby bonus, hes always asking if we need money anyway.

Solarberry
02-07-2009, 10:35
How about you have some self respect and tell him to grow up and that he is not having the TV.

So he gets angry, too bad! He will get over it. We cant always get what we want. Tell him to get a job with more money if he wants to get a TV.

ILovePink
02-07-2009, 10:42
[quote=mum2bubba;3858977]
I am sick of everyone on here judging me because we're getting a wide screen tv. Its not ME that wants it, its him. I have told him nicely, I have also yelled at him several times and said I would take all the money we've saved and spend it on a car but he gets angry. We are on the rocks at the moment and I do not need any more stress.
quote]

I don't think that anyone here is judging you. You keep on asking questions about obtaining a loan to buy a new car. We have all simply pointed out that your DH is being unreasonable and getting a loan in this instance is not really a wise choice.

We have a big LCD TV and it didn't cost anywhere near $2000. So he can still have his precious TV but he needs to realise that he is being selfish. If he was my DH I would cut my losses and go ahead and buy the new car anyway. The baby bonus is meant to be for expenses relating to bringing up your child. I am sure you can raise a child without a flashy TV. He needs to wake up to himself and grow up!

I feel for your situation but is sounds as though you have to either step up and take charge or let him continue to walk all over you.

Best of luck:hugs:

LolliLips
02-07-2009, 10:42
I'm with the last few posts. Forget organising a loan I'd be organising a new home for u and bubs. Ur DP sounds selfish and childish. U can stand up to him very easily "pick ur stupid plasma or me and ur baby".
Do u really want to be with someone who thinks walking a baby in the rain/ cold/ summer sun and heat is a suitable alternative to having a reliable vehicle. Wat if u need to get shopping?
Just my opinion.

ILovePink
02-07-2009, 10:43
Tell him to get a job with more money if he wants to get a TV.

Well said:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap:

mummy2lilly
02-07-2009, 11:03
I got a credit card for a limit of $3000 through my bank.. and im centrelink payments and i have a savings account over $5000 If you do it through your bank you would be better off cause they can see whats going in and out of your account thats what mine told me thats how i got my credit card.. But i know your not after that but that you thought of doing that way is trying to get a credit card in both you and your partners name you would get a high credit limit.. Get a car that way on your credit card then you only have to pay back the small fees months or pay more if you want to

lilli
02-07-2009, 12:10
I might ask my dad for $4000 and tell him we can pay him back with the baby bonus, hes always asking if we need money anyway.

This sounds like the most sensible option, given your situation.

As for the advice saying you should leave/threaten to leave your partner over this... you have two small kids and are 8 months pregnant... doesn't exactly seem like the right timing. Sounds like you're stressed enough as it is, go speak to your Dad :)

ILovePink
02-07-2009, 12:38
I agree, I don't think that now is the most ideal time to leave your DH. I just think that you need to stand your ground on this one.

sandy cheeks
02-07-2009, 17:12
If it's for a car u can get a $5000 personal/car loan from the commonwealthbank try ur bank see if u can pay it back and pay weekly as I have found this pays it back quicker.

shaz77
03-07-2009, 20:46
:hugs::hugs: to you. Its hard when you are in a situation and your priorities are different from DP. I think your dad is a good option - I'd make sure the car is in your name though. all the best with your up coming birth - I hope everything works out for you

mum2bubba
09-07-2009, 16:18
Ok. I think there must have a been a misunderstanding between me and Grant.

He thought I wanted to put all of the money we've saved AND the baby bonus onto a tv. I explained to him just before that we should put the baby bonus on a tv (not all of it mind you) and all the money we've saved (plus money from tax and centerlink) on a car. He is starting to listen to me. I told him we don't need to take out a loan because we already have enough money (once the installments from the b.b start coming in) for both. He hasn't really said anything yet but at least he sat and listened instead of cutting me off and just assuming I wanted all the money for a car. Hopefully I can make him see some sense but I reckon I have.

jagamoe
12-09-2012, 08:53
http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/About_Us/7/4/3/3/

Sent from my iPhone

Sace
16-11-2012, 15:24
Hiya,

I provide this link on a similar thread http://simplelivingaustralia.com.au/loans-people-centrelink-newstart/. It provides some great options on the different types of financing available for low income earners and people on Centrelink.

The government also provides some good choices on there MoneySmart website.:)

Sace
27-11-2012, 09:08
hi mum2bubba,

I posted a link to a blog I found a while ago that was specific to centrelink. I've since found another website that is specific to pensioner loans.

While looking for pensioner loan options for my aunt I came across this site and also saw this post so thought i'd share.

Visit http://pensionerloansassistance.com.au/ there is also some Centrelink loan information there as well.

newmummy2010
12-12-2012, 20:45
Try GE Money or get a credit card