View Full Version : What is your child Anaphylaxic to?
Let's see if I can get this poll to work...
My DD is allergic to green ants.
Green ants? I hope you don't live in the tropics!! :(
My DS is allergic to dairy and egg.
My DD is allergic to nuts! :thumbsdown:
And cashews and pistacchios are the fatal ones for her. :(
How do you find out what they are allergic too?
How do you find out what they are allergic too?
I hope that no one has to find out the way we did... the HARD way.
My parents thought if they gave my daughter a "tiny bit" of the pastry sweet they were eating, I would never find out.
Well, they were at my door (we live next door) within 10 mins of taking DD with them to babysit for half an hour while my house was supposed to be sprayed.
I honestly couldn't identify DD. I am not kidding you, i kept looking thinking "who is that? has same clothes as Izel... how strange!?!" Then saw the look on my parents face and tried to look beyond the swollen face and made out that it was my daughter. Yes, I honestly didn't recognise my daughter. Her eyes were totally closed from the face swelling so much.
She started to became limp, (parents were STILL trying to hide the cause saying it must be the air con in the car. :mad: ), i forced some water into her and she started to :barf:
Rushed her to my GP, who cleared her clinic and called the ambulance, with adrenaline on hand cos she was going limp again.
She was taken to hospital. You know you have a problem when u go to hospital, hear an announcement saying "pediatrics, nut allergy" and by the time u look up, u have 6 pediatric Drs. surrounding you. :eek:
Apparently we were lucky as DD managed to kick off the reaction (despite it being anaphylactic) on her own, without adrenaline. And she was only 14 months at the time. But she gets skin ***** tested every year for all the nuts and normal allergen and she is still allergic.
I wouldn't wish living through something like this on anybody! :no:
How do you find out what they are allergic too?
It has taken two years of ever going problems for a doctor to finally say lets test your son. He has eczema and asthma plus sensitivities to many foods. He was tested last month - a blood test. I am looking forward to the results and am hopeful that it would be helpful to keeping his condition under control.
I hope we never have to deal with anaphylaxis....:fingerscrossed:
We had to leave QLD and move to Tassie :crying: But it had to be done hey.
First exposure was a mild reaction, second well I don't want to go into details, still upsets me... but she required two lots of adrenaline before going code blue cardiac arrest :crying:
We are lucky she made it through they told us....
I don't know if DS is allergic to anything yet, but too see that reaction must be the most scary, horrible thing for a mother to go through.
My son is allergic to nuts, (amongst other things!)with peanuts and walnuts being the ones that give him an anaphylaxtic reaction.
My DS2 is allergic to Bees.
We found out the hard way.
He was at daycare and stepped on a bee(he was only about 1 years old at the time). The carer said that they got the sting and everything out.
He was fine til 4am when he woke for a bottle, t was dark and the halllight was on and his skin looked patchy,I turned the light on and he was COVERED in red welts.
So off to Hospital we went, they treated him, got home 3 hours later. It settled until the afternoon and thenflared up again, so off we went back to hospital, had a GREAT Dr this time around and they found, after digging into his foot with a needle, that the sting sack thingy was still in his foot! ARGH!!!
His dad is allergic to bees too.
my kids are all fine but I am anaphalactic to eggs, and can I just say that if your child is also severely allergic to anything, please take them to medical asap, even just a slight reaction is a terrible feeling, it feels like your tongue at the back is too large for your throat, and I have to have adrenalin on hand all the time cause you never know what or when you will react. Especially eggs, Im allergic to the yolk only, but almost everything contains egg.
I hope I have helped a bit, cause I know that kids cant explain what a reaction feels like, if anyone wants any help, pm me, Ill be happy to help with anything
My daughter now carrys an Epi pen everywhere aswell.
We never leave the house without it!
DS1 is ana to penicillin. Found that one the hard way. He had previously had several doses of it (couple years before) no problems. Last time about thirty mins after his breathing was getting laboured, coughing to the stage he could barely get a breath in between. We were 10 mins drive from a hospital so I headed there trying to get him to talk to me to keep him awake. They gave hime a shot of adrenaline and nebulised him lots. (It scared me more the next day when I realised it was a shot of adrenaline they had given him).
Interestingly enough the blood test came back as neg so our paed had to consult with others and they agreed that the blood tests are not that accurate. To really test him they have to inject extremely dilute concentrations under the skin to measure the reaction but as he is only 4 I am not putting him through that (6 or 7 needles).
Other than the blood tests Skin P.rick tests are quite accurate.
Our little Heidi is anaphylactic to peanuts.
She has severe allergies to dogs, penicillin & stings.
And minor/mild allergies to some fruits, grasses, dustmites and some things that we don't know about (ie, she gets a reaction and we don't know what the allergin was !).
Not easy living with kids with allergies :(
No it isn't hey :thumbsdown:
Both my girls (twins) are allergic to milk protein. And yes we found out the hard way (with less than 1/8th of a tsp each of S26 Gold) - with both of them at the same time. I couldn't recognise either of them - poor swollen, limp convulsing little mites - God I hope I never see it again as bad as it was the first time :no: . Horrific.
My little boy is anaphylactic to eggs and nuts. Unsure what sort of nuts though as they only did the generic nut ***** test.
We found out the hard way with egg. Until DS was 14 months, he always refused foods that were overly eggy and nutty (i.e. he refused french toast and peanut butter).
Then I had scrambled egg for lunch one day and he loved it and ate equivalent of about 1 egg. A couple hours later, he was covered in welts and his lips turned blue. We took him to emergency, where he threw up. Then they gave him adrenalin and phenergan. His skin was bright red. It looked like he was wearing a spiderman suit! They kept him in overnight for observation.
The ***** tests showed large egg allergy and even larger to nuts. Since then we've been extra careful reading labels and now he rarely throws up (used to throw up at least once a week) and his excema is greatly improved unless he is sick.
We have an epipen but have not had to use it yet. Hopefully we never will.
This has to be one of the scariest things for a parent to be confronted with.
We are lucky, our son has never had a "life threatening" serious reaction - but has had to be taken to hospital.
We are also lucky as he is allergic to nuts, egg, milk, banana, cats, and we suspect other things as he regularly still gets rashes, which we cannot explain - which drives the poor little guy crazy with itching. He is only a few weeks from his next skin pr1ck test.
The most difficult thing is the people that just clean forget, or don't realise the potential danger that a simple peanut sandwich poses. It is difficult going to parties especially when they are only 20 months old, as everywhere there is the potential of "bad" food. Someone has to be watching him EVERY minute. So this being the party/BBQ time of year, have fun. :thumbsup:
When I've been to parties, I've made an announcement to everyone to please not feed him anything from their plates as he has serious allergies. Everyone is really good about adhering to that. I bring along cookies that I know he can eat safely so he doesn't feel left out during cake time, and usually there is fruit of some sort that he will happily eat. Luckily he isn't into cake too much.
Here's a weird one - my DH can get ana from exercise. Happened first when he was a teenager and went for a run, came back and collapsed. Both parents are docs and they called ambulance. He carried adrenalin around for years, but has also learned to manage it - can feel the beginnings of it and knows when to stop.
DD1 had ana reactions to peanut butter when she was about one - luckily she'd had only the tiniest smear and the swelling was not too severe - could be treated with phenergan. Amazingly, she grew out of the allergy - lucky!
My DD is ana to Shellfish. Her great nan served oysters on crackers - she grabbed one put it to her lips spat it out and her lips and face swelled within a couple of minutes. The doctor said we are just very very lucky it didnt go in her mouth or throat.
We have a lot of trouble with dips at parties as i have noticed a lot of prawn dips and prawns in general at BBQs. I have to explain to everyone that it is fine not to let her eat it but if they eat it don'y kiss her or get any on her as she will have a reaction even to that contact.
I am thankful it is only shellfish though as that is a lot easier to avoid than something like nuts or eggs.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.