PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a homebirth

Little_Toad
10-06-2006, 20:42
What does it cost to have a homebirth?

Would having a homebirth for your frst baby be a big no no?

kadownie
10-06-2006, 22:37
Not really sure, but I think it costs around $3500- that's what I read on another site. I don't think having a homebirth for a first birth would be a no no at all- I think it's worth the investment of having a professional midwife- if there are problems you transfer to the hospital-

Trust your body and trust what you want for your birth- you are more likely to get the birth you want at home than you are at the hospital! And the stats show that a homebirth is just as safe as a hospital birth! Have a look at http://www.joyousbirth.info/ for some more info

Good luck with planning!

Sweetbabe
10-06-2006, 22:42
Hi, Cost's vary depending on what sort of care you are after and of course how much your own Midwife charges. You can also consider getting a Doula in as an extra support person.

My HB cost me just over $3,000 although I do think that is on the lower end.

There is no reason why you can't birth your first baby at home. Afterall whether it's baby no1 or baby 10 all labours and births are different.

Do your research, there are plenty of sites out there to look at. Information is power, do not let others who think you birth ideas "not safe" or not the "right way" talk you out of it. The first thing you need to do is contact some private midwives who are experienced in HB's as they book out very fast.

If you need anymore information feel free to email me. I have lots of different sites to look at and even some Midwives numbers :)

Jenko
10-06-2006, 23:07
I know someone who is planning a home birth in a few months, she said it is costing her $2500.

Little_Toad
11-06-2006, 13:26
Thanks ladies.

I was actually surprised last night, I asked my DP if it would be ok if I had a homebirth.
he said "Sure, it's not like you need to go to hospital, you aren't sick" . Pleasant shock!

Shame my Dad isn't in Australia, although I could get him to come over if and when I give birth, he's a doctor. Even though I wouldn't want him delivering the baby it would be nice to have him there is something wasn't quite right.
he delivered me and my 4 siblings.

jarrahsmumma
15-06-2006, 13:00
good on you for exploring all options. i am having a homebirth in November yay! in WA the state government funds the CMP (community midwifery program) which offer 150 places each year for homebirthing, the only cost is $110 rego fee. check out what is available in your area. Joyus Birth will definatley help with this (there link is above somewhere).

i wish i coud have had my first at home, would have been great. all safety aspects are well looked after with midwives, like back up hospital etc

all the best

shed
15-06-2006, 13:40
jarrahsmumma - I am so envious of you I could cry!

I got a quote for a homebirth in Sydney.

four grand. This price combined with DP's reluctance equals a hospital birth for me, sadly.

I do have a doula though, so I can stay home for as long as possible.

Sweetbabe
15-06-2006, 14:03
Part of the way I got my DH to agee to it was by saying that for a private OB you pay roughly the same. They may or may not make it there in time and generally are only there for the pushing stage if that. My midwife was with me for my whole labour. She really earnt her money that night :)

Notchalk
15-06-2006, 22:41
I had my first baby at home last year with a Midwife, also using the Community Midwifery Program here in Perth. It is government funded, so I too only had to pay the $110 administration fee, and $55 for the hire of the birth pool. :smiliedance:

I couldn't recommend it highly enough!:thumbsup:

Jo

DoulaFelicity
16-06-2006, 10:14

Personally I think it's the other way around - birthing your first baby in Hospital when you have had a normal pregnancy and are experiencing a normal labour is the dangerous and scary option, statistically! :laughing: Homebirth outcomes being what they are (ie: very good, and comparatively, outstanding), it's a much safer option to birth at home with a known careprovider for your first and subsequent babes. I'm so glad to see you investigating all your options.

I think a previous poster already provided the link to the Australian Homebirth Network, Joyous Birth; but just in case you missed it, here it is again:

www.joyousbirth.info

There is also the Australian Unassisted Pregnancy and Childbirth site that you may be interested in including in your research:-

http://www.purebirth-australia.com/

The cost of a homebirth can vary from state to state and midwife to midwife, but the first thing I discovered during my research was that I couldn't afford not to have homebirths in future. You may reach the same conclusion. ;) The cost of a healthy Mama and babe is small, compared to the alternative outcome's potential ongoing costs. Many private health Insurers will pay part or all of the costs incurred by a registered care provider attending homebirths. I believe some may be claimable on tax, too, if over a certain amount. Most midwives will wait until you receive the Government Maternity payment before they expect their fee (and what better way to spend the BABY bonus then on the wellbeing of Mama and BABY? :D ), or will accept instalments over time - some will even enter into a barter system (I've heard of a midwife being paid in carrots!). Doulas are also willing to negotiate their fee, so whether you decide on a homebirth with a midwife, a Doula, or a professionally unassisted birth, you have countless options. It may require some legwork and manoeuvering to arrive at your final destination, but it's possible.

Some articles on homebirth from Joyous Birth:-

http://www.joyousbirth.info/articles/hbqa.html
http://www.joyousbirth.info/homebirth.html
http://www.joyousbirth.info/articles/whatdoineed.html

Resources for your own ongoing research:-

http://www.joyousbirth.info/resources.html

You can also hire items like birth pools, etc, for a small fee from Joyous Birth. Help and information is always available if you wish to seek it out. :D

Best wishes for your journey!

Angel
20-07-2006, 22:35
The cost of a homebirth is different all over the country for a few reasons. In south east Qld mine cost me $1600 'mates rates' - normally $2000. Now gone up to $2500 as the massive shortage of m/w in SE Qld is making the demand ridiculous.

Some ask "can you afford NOT to homebirth" when considering the risks one takes by birthing in a hospital.

becca74
21-07-2006, 18:32
Some ask "can you afford NOT to homebirth" when considering the risks one takes by birthing in a hospital.

sooo true!

My recent homebirth cost $2,500, and was worth every last cent! I'd have paid her more had she quoted more, I was so determined to steer clear of the hospital!

HappyMumsy
15-08-2006, 21:30
Hi there,

I had my first at home in Dec 2005 in Sydney and it cost $3500, it was the best money I'd ever spent.
The pregnancy and birth became the most relaxed experience and stress free experience.

The midwife is doing it for love not money when you work out her hourly rate. We had about 12 appointments and they were all over an hour, sometimes two hours long. By the time I got to labour I felt so confident in my ability to birth that I kept on putting off calling the midwife in, she was only there for the last 3 hours of the labour.

But then she came every day for 2 weeks which is great for moral support, as with birth for me it was an emotional experience not a medical one, there was not a lot of medical things/check going on the whole time.

The continuity of care is invaluable and the midwife became a friend and someone I trusted completely.

it is a shame it has a high cost, but it reality low when you think of the great experience it will be, the money will quickly become irrelevant in years to come but the memory of the experience will always be with you.

Good luck and enjoy

indigoin0z
24-08-2006, 16:53
OMG!!!

in my talking with hubby about wishing to investigate homebirth possibility, he asked how much it cost & i hadnt found any prices on sites i had visited, now i understand why!:eek:

hubby was being challenged by the h/b thing as it was, but i think he just found a cop-out for his argument! we are on under $25,000 per year, no way we could afford that....:( BUGGER

mummyof5
24-08-2006, 20:38
Hi Indigo,
Many midwives will let you pay all, or at least some of their fee out of your baby bonus, so maybe you could put the lack of funds to them and see how you go. You will probably have slightly less appointments too, being that you are up to your third and therefore less likely to need as many visits esp after the birth, (except for the ones you need for your and babies health of course), so that may bring your cost down a little? No harm in asking, at any rate. I had my last 3 homebirths living in the Westernport area, and I wouldn't swap them for the world!!!
:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for you to get the birth you want, no matter where it is...

indigoin0z
25-08-2006, 21:58
Hi Indigo,
Many midwives will let you pay all, or at least some of their fee out of your baby bonus, so maybe you could put the lack of funds to them and see how you go. You will probably have slightly less appointments too, being that you are up to your third and therefore less likely to need as many visits esp after the birth, (except for the ones you need for your and babies health of course), so that may bring your cost down a little? No harm in asking, at any rate. I had my last 3 homebirths living in the Westernport area, and I wouldn't swap them for the world!!!
:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for you to get the birth you want, no matter where it is...

hmmmmm,
thanx for that mummyof5...
but im not sure how hubby will take it, as the baby bonus would be the only way to help update to a bigger car for the rugrats..
i dont know if i could convince him of the health facts & monetary value all in 6 months, i think it would take him 6 years of listening to me lecture about the pros...
but, i wont give up,
i will investigate as you said..

thanx again:idea:

spiritedfamily
26-08-2006, 13:23
Some midwives are happy to work out a plan...like a lay-by...negotiate what you can pay per month...

I'm not sure how it compares to hospital birth...not having had one...is there much difference..as I've heard hospital still has some costs involved...some health insurance offer homebirth discounts

Is there any government run programs in your direction, if so, they are often heavily discounted or free

spiritedfamily
26-08-2006, 13:29

A first time is a good place to start...makes no difference if everything is going well...