View Full Version : Cervix not dilated at 39 weeks
I am 39 weeks pregnant with my second bub and a little concerned about my cervix. I've had a number of cervical procedures done following my last birth and some concern has been expressed over what effect the scarred tissue might have on the cervix dilating during labour. My cervix has been at 1.7cm in length since 20 weeks which of course resulted in over five months of bedrest as we all panicked about possible premature delivery. lol ... I can safely say we got past that hurdle now and the latest worry is that it may in fact be "scarred shut" and rather than there being a problem with keeping the baby in it may actually be more of a problem getting it out!
My obs has been trying to "sweep the membranes" unsuccessfully for several weeks now. The cervix has been paperthin for quite a long time but remains stubbornly closed (pinprick is the term they have used) even with only a few days to go.
Is this really such an unusual event and have others had a "stubborn" cervix which still opened up nicely during labour? I'm not sure when you would usually expect to see a change!!!
Any other experiences appreciated :)
With my 2nd bub I had to be induced with cervidal tape as my cervix just refused to do anything. It was kindof soft but that was as far as it went. I went in and out of false labour several times during the weeks before birth but all these contractions were doing nothing to my cervix what so ever!
So I was put in to be induced at 8 days over and she was born via normal vaginal birth without complications at 10 days over. It just took a while for the tape to work but it did. They said that my cervix probably would have stayed like that, so I am glad I decided to go with the inducing. I would probably still be pg:eek: :laughing:
I think it will be ok, but I think it would be good if you could prepare yourself for a cesarean, just in case. They will probably let you go and see if your cervix does it's job but if the baby is in destress they will prob opt for a c/s. I hope it all goes well for you and you don' have to have a c/s. If you are that worried ask them to explain the cervidal tape to you and ask if that is an option for you if your cervix is not co-operating.
Hi- don't know very much about it all- except I know my Mum had to be induced with all of us as her cervix wasn't dilating- maybe she just needed an extra week or something. During my pregnancy I took raspberry leaf tablets- and I laboured quite quickly considering it was a first labour- however I did end up with a ceaser due to bub not moving down after a couple of hours pushing. (was having twins so it was better to have a ceaser than muck around with vacums etc and then still have a ceaser). The thing that I am most grateful for was that I had good support with me- and I had thought about what I might want if I had a ceaser- that helped to keep me in the drivers seat and have some control. It would be worth formulating some kind of plan if you find your cervix isn't dilating.
I do hope it all goes well for you. If you need some help with the plan just PM me- i'd be only too happy to help
Good luck with it all!;)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.