PDA

View Full Version : Help T.Training Halted!

tiahsmum
03-06-2006, 15:32
I have been trying to Toilet Train my 2yr4mth daughter for the last two months. I only started trying so early as she started taking her nappies off each time she did a wee or poo I thought that was a sign??! :confused:

For the last two months i have felt like I have been going in circles with the toilet training business! she wears knickers quite happily, if i prompt her to go she somtimes might, she was ok with doing wee's on the potty but poo's not so good, she only went if i caught her mid way through! She has done poo's once on her own but that's were it stopped.

But then more often than not lately i will ask her if she needs to go alot and then she just goes in her knickers, wee's and poo's now!! Even with the special sticker chart we made for her! She seems to have lost interest in it. :no:

She does wear pull ups but i have found them, to be just like a nappy and I think she does too she is quite happy to go to the toilet in them. But then she would have them on when we go out and she will go to the toilet and not wet them??!!

I'm now at a stage where i do not know what to do next, i feel i have come too far to go back, she goes sometimes but not all the time. And she will not wear a nappy at all now??!! This is the 4th day of staying home constantly prompting asking, praising and there is nothing different to the first day, i have changed her 4 times already today. :banghead:

So if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear from you!

Thanks - Mel

meshan
03-06-2006, 15:36
I would just keep going as you are, encouraging her and reminding her to go to the toilet. My son was exactly the same, I had sticker charts, stamps for his hand, pulls-ups -everything and nothing worked. Then one day it just happened, it all just fell into place and he never looked back.

So don't stress, remember there aren't many 21 year olds walking around in nappies - it will happen!!

Elfin
03-06-2006, 15:37
You know, my honest opinion is leave it for a while. I find if your child is not interested no amount of pushing is going to achieve anything just frustration for everyone. My dd is 2 and 10 months and not interested at all in TT. We have tried a couple of times and achieved nothing, no amount of praise or rewards moved us forward. I guess she is just not ready yet each child is different. I am going to wait till spring then try again so we don't have to bother with all the layers.

I would just wait a couple of months and try again. TT should be a fun and positive experience, not stressful and frustrating. Good luck with whatever you decide:)

nemosmum
03-06-2006, 16:22
I agree tting should be a great experience for littlies:smiliedance:

I had ds tt at home (but not out/sleep/day care etc) and then for the last two weeks his had gastro off and on so his back in nappies and doesnt want the toilet (which is understandable)

Dont stress too much (I know easier said then done) but I look at it like this who cares how many times you have to change them, I just leave ds in knickers and a long sleeve shirt and socks while at home so theres not much to change iykwim. Thats way theres no chance of me getting frustrated and taking it out on ds.

When he did a wee on the floor I would just be like "Hey your doing a wee lets go to the toliet" no big deal etc He was pretty good with number 2's thankgoodness!

Coz he is sick and back in nappies i will just wait until he get better and slowly introduce it again.

:fingerscrossed: Good luck and :hugs: to you and your dd.

tiahsmum
03-06-2006, 19:02
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, very much appreciated. Hopefully dd and i can work it out together :fingerscrossed:

JasmineLouise
03-06-2006, 19:14
Ive heard that if you stick up a large real life picture (next to the toilet/potty) of a child going to the potty can encourage a child to 'copy' the idea. :fingerscrossed:

I agree that each child is unique in develpmental stages... My sister was close to four before she got the hang of many things such as toilet training and even using simple words. But then all at once she took the inititative and BANG... it all happened!:yes:

Goodluck with it :thumbsup:

nemosmum
03-06-2006, 19:21
Yeah following on from the poster idea, maybe take a photo of your dd on the toliet or a toy of hers on the potty? You could laminate it and use it as a talking point to discuss positive toileting etc

You could get a little cheapy potty from the $2 store for dd's favourite teddy/toy and she could use that to pretend play/role play. As kids learn alot through acting out etc

Also you could buy a book or dvd I know that the bear in the big blue house has an episode about the potty etc

Again good luck

Mariposa
03-06-2006, 19:56
with my first DD she was tt by the age of 2, (cept for nights) now with DD2 she just sits on the loo and laffs, we sit there patiently for like ages and we say "do wees" and she just makes the pssssssssss sound! quite a crack up really, (she will be 3 in oct) so just biding time for when shes confident!