PDA

View Full Version : Should i inform centrelink or keep my mouth closed?

emma26
11-02-2009, 07:33
What would you do if you knew someone that was taking advantage of the system and receiving benefits that they are not entitled too?.

Background....

A "couple" that DH and i both know used to do things by the book and declared everything ... he worked full time and she did'nt work at all. Once they had their first child, he lost his job and they both moved into his parents place. To make ends meet, they decided that she was to claim the single parenting payment while he received newstart allowance.
He got another job eventually (better pay than the last job) and they still continued to claim that they were not together so she could receive the SPP. They went on to have another child - still claiming the single payment..
She received a payout from her fathers death and they decided to use this to buy a home. Because they were claiming they were no longer together and he was the only 1 working, they decided he would apply for the home aloan and state that he had no children (because a lender will "lend" you less if you have dependants).
They moved into their home, she began working part time .. she declares her earnings to centrelink, but they still pay her $400 per fortnight because they *THINK* she is a working single mum.
She still uses her partners parents address for centrelink use and they are living VERY COMFORTABLE and do not need to rip off the system ... they are doing this because its easy money for them and they are plain greedy..
They use the centrelink payment as "play money" but i never see the kids in nice clothes :no:.
I used to turn a blind eye to it, but i don't think i can do this anymore.
DH brings home $500 per week and centrelink pay me $300 per fortnight (FTB A&B and a little parenting payment).
We are doing it tough while i'm off work (maternity leave) but our bills and mortgage get paid, and we don't have much left over but i still don't rip off the system.

Should i tell centrelink????...

BTW - I'm not jealous that they have the extra money and they have got away with it for almost 5 years now .... I would hate to be in their shoes!.

Froggy3
11-02-2009, 08:28
Oh wow babe - that is soooo wrong!!!!! I just think of all the people (like yourselves and others) who are doing everything right and struggling sometimes to make ends meet and these people make me MAD AS HELL.

My mum woulda dobbed em in in a hearbeat - she has warned me that if I ever do anything like that (not that I would) she would dob ME in too, that is how passionate she is about it!!!

The country is at threat of recession and people like that are taking money that they are not entitled too - just think how much extra they will get with all of the handouts available if K-Rudd's latest stimulus package gets through!!!!

Having said all that I understand hy you are stuck - it is a bad place to be knowing what you do andbeing friends with them but I think someone needs to do what's right - do you have a very strong friend who could anonymously dob them in for you rather than you actually doing it so that you can honestly say you didn't do it if the queston ever comes up???

jen0023
11-02-2009, 08:30
You telling centrelink that they are doing this and for the last 5 years, they will have to pay back the money will most prob be charged and could even go to jail...

could you live with yourself if that happened?

i know how you feel with them ripping centrelink off.
maybe just tell them about someone "you know" is doing the same and got caught and could be going to jail.

if you dop them in they will prob loose there house i know ppl would think sucked it but they have kids to think about id tell her to just tell centrelink the truth.

hailsntwang
11-02-2009, 08:31
Yes I think you should.

I would!

For the past 5 years she has been having a very free ride whilst others that do the right thing struggle week to week.

I know you are in a difficult position but you really need to do the right thing.

If you don't, going from what you have said, I believe they will continue doing it for as long as possible.

Yes you could give her the option of telling the truth but in all honesty, do you really think she would??

Please consider doing the right thing.

If you are really worried about this then I think you should speak to her bluntly about the fact that she is breaking the law and being dishonest.

Atleast this way, after that conversation if nothing changes then you shouldn't feel so bad telling Centrelink because you gave her a chance.

tee
11-02-2009, 08:34
Eeeep, tough call. I tend to stay out of things like this. I wouldn't hesitate in encouraging them to end their dodginess though.

Mrs Nietzsche
11-02-2009, 08:44
My neighbour is a plumber and he has a huge flash house, which he has fully renovated, must have spent a fortune on, has a 4Wd, pool, boat, etc - and a couple of months ago I heard his missus talking to someone about how the electricity is in her name so she gets the pension discount!

Really stuck in my craw.

It is hard to know what to do. Nobody wants to be a dobber...

I guess I would to be honest not care if someone such as yourself who is struggling was sneaking extra - sorry but I wouldn't - just because for some people out there that might be all that is keeping them afloat.

For someone who is doing it out of greed I think it is pretty low. The best thing is probably to say it straight to their face - don't they feel guilty, etc.

I look at all the really wealthy people out there who probably save more on their tax by using the best accountants and finding tax breaks than someone on a low income could ever scam from centrelink - it is unfair that they are never found accountable.

But yes, I'd be saying something to their face if at all possible.

MothersMilk
11-02-2009, 08:59
I want you to dob them in today!
These ppl are squandering my our tax dollars.
I want our tax dollars spent where they are needed, not stolen by con artists which is all that these ppl are.
They are stealing your money too. If you found out they had been stealing money from you and everyone you know for the last 5 yrs, would you still be asking this question? I doubt it, I think you'd be getting the problem sorted out ASAP.
Your conscience is telling you to do the right thing here.
I can't see them getting imprisoned if it's their first offense but I can see them losing their house to pay back the debt, and rightfully so.

:iagree:100%

subaruforestermum
11-02-2009, 09:00
You know what, they are doing this KNOWING full well it is against the law, and they are still happy to do it... Obviously they DONT care...

MAJORITY of people know the laws in regards to Centrelink, and therefor they should follow the law! They know what the possible consequences could be!

So knowing the risks involved and still carrying on an illegal act, they know they could possibly go to jail, and obviously arent concerned about it, so why hesitiate to dob them in!

They have no rights to that money they are recieving! So why should they continue to get it!

They made their bed, they can lie in it, if they end up going to jail, it is their own fault. Simple as that, they've had 5 years to change things, and have been too greedy and selfish!

It is an anonymous call! And they are committting an ILLEGAL act! Would you hesitate to call the police if you seen someones house getting broken into, or knew someone who was ripping off a business they worked for? Probably NOT, so why is this any different?

princessmummy
11-02-2009, 09:01
id call them its fraud its fraud why should they be able to get away with it
& if they do get charged & go to jail well tough luck they should of thought of that to start with

Jakois
11-02-2009, 09:04
What puzzles me is how on earth do you know all about these peoples finances:confused:?

Are they running around telling the world, or are you just assuming this is what's going on?

If it were me, I would confront said couple and give them the opportunity to do the right thing.

If they choose not to after that than I would inform Centrelink.

MothersMilk
11-02-2009, 09:11
Once again i totally agree with Amy81.
If they do get caught it's better that they don't suspect you. I would just stick to an anonymous phone call to centrelink :yes:

Froggy3
11-02-2009, 09:15
Yeah I don't think approaching them direct is gonna be a good thing for the OP-er. Even if SHE doesn't dob them in in the end, if she has confronted them about it they will THINK it was her no matter what - and if they are this selfish to do what they have been imagine how they would be with her!!!!

It is a very poo-ey sitch to be in....I have a friend who was accidentally overpaid (Centrelink's fault but they still make her pay it back) - she just gets pretty much NOTHING from them til it is paid back - this is what will happen to these people and yes, they may lose their house, but you can still raise happy and healthy kids in a rental property!!! Sounds like they have sufficient income to look after the kids anyways!!

tee
11-02-2009, 09:29
Even if SHE doesn't dob them in in the end, if she has confronted them about it they will THINK it was her no matter what.

that's a really good point actually.

the more i think about this situation, the more i get mad that they're getting away with it. i mean, there's a matter of being overpaid by $20, or getting cash in hand work once in a blue moon - but going to that extent to lie and swindle so much extra cash is pretty full on.

ladybugblue84
11-02-2009, 09:33
Definitely report this to centrelink! Do it anonymously. If we don't report people such as this & let it fly under the radar people will continue to wrought the system, make our tax's higher, take money from those who really need it & generally continue to be completely selfish. Centrelink rely on people to report suspicious things like this so that they can continue to offer financial assistance to those that really need it.

I have had to pay money back to centrelink before cause I was crap at reporting my income, I paid it off slowly & it didn't leave me not being able to pay my bills, you only pay what you can afford. It was my own fault for being lazy about reporting my income.

Definitely dob them in they are doing the WRONG thing :no:

Seekrit
11-02-2009, 09:38
I'd dob them in. If I heard about anyone doing similar I'd be dobbing them in in a heartbeat.

They're ripping off good hardworking australians, and I assume they're doing it with a smile on their face. That's disgusting.

Froggy3
11-02-2009, 09:39
that's a really good point actually.

the more i think about this situation, the more i get mad that they're getting away with it. i mean, there's a matter of being overpaid by $20, or getting cash in hand work once in a blue moon - but going to that extent to lie and swindle so much extra cash is pretty full on.

I TOTALLY agree with you - I just worry for Emma's personal sitch if they KNOW it is her dobbing them in - she is best to just do the anonymous call to Centrelink without having confronted them at all IMO.

It is easy for all of us who don't know the people to say "dob em in" (which I really really hope happends - even if Emma doesn't do it) cause we don't have the consequences if the friendship goes sour as a result.

Emma is in a very sucky position but the morally right thing IS to dob them in, I am just saying I understand her problem!!

:hugs:

pinkgingham
11-02-2009, 09:40
What puzzles me is how on earth do you know all about these peoples finances:confused:?

Are they running around telling the world, or are you just assuming this is what's going on?

what i'd like to know too....

have they told you this is what they are doing or are you just making assumptions. i wouldnt dob on them unless you are sure. my cousin had someone keep dobbing her in out of spite when she wasnt doing anything wrong. they cut her payments and had to go through a lot of trouble to prove her status to get her payments reinstated. simply because someone didnt like her and wanted to be spiteful.

if you do it anonymously they can give you some details about the report. for instance if you go into an office, even anonymously, they can tell the person which office the report was made at. so you wouldnt want them to know it was you because they might do the same thing to you in retaliation.

JabberJaw
11-02-2009, 09:54
As a PP said, how do you know the ins and outs of there finances anyway?

I have been dobbed in years ago as a single mum, the person must have told some biggies because i was under video surveillance and all, ( yes, they really do video surveillance!) they have on the video me going to work, my washing on the line, my house mate driving my car, him picking up his pregnant girlfriend etc.....invasion of privacy i think. But whoever dobbed me in was just spiteful and had there facts confused actually. I accessed freedom of information and have a very good idea who dobbed me in, but the hoops i had to jump through to prove my innocence was just crazy.

I would be 100% sure of my facts, leaving room for no assumptions on your friends financial situation before i even bothered calling to dob them in. And be prepared to loose your friends, also. It would be terrible for your friends to be wrongly accused and jailed for fraud, especially considering they have children.

Personally i believe in Karma, and what goes around comes around, i am sure if they are doing wrong they will be caught out eventually anyway.

Luna Lovegood
11-02-2009, 10:07
Prior to calling centrelink and dobbing this person I think you need to determine if these are 100% fact, or if the person gloating for the hell of it- yes, people do that, they get bored and tell little lies to get kicks out of life.

I wouldn't go interfering with another families life unless I was absolutely sure of what I was saying.

What if you dob them in, and they are in fact not doing anything wrong and their lives a turned upside down in the process? Could you live with that?

Cicho
11-02-2009, 10:25
As sad as it is, I actually thought it was quite common for this to happen....
I know of 2 families who are doing this very same thing.
1st family is on the second marriage, 2 kids from first hubby and one from second hubby.
Wife and hubby live together in Housing Commission home, husband works and wife collects sole parent payment...
2nd family is gf with 2 kids from previous relationship living with new bf who works for the RAAF, living in a RAAF house... don't know how that works but it does!

People can be quite conniving. They will use different postal addresses to where they are living, and I believe Centrelink will advise them first of a visit to check their living circumstances (please correct me if I am wrong on this).

Sheer Bliss
11-02-2009, 10:31
I don't honestly think i'd have the guts to dob them in....but I definately think they should be!!

It is WRONG! As someone else has said, it is fraud, plain and simple. It is ripping off every honest Australian who pays/has paid their taxes. If there weren't so many cheats out there sucking away our tax dollars, taxes need not be so high, so we could ALL be better off, not just the dishonest ones ripping off everyone else??

Gruffalo
11-02-2009, 10:55
Eeeep, tough call. I tend to stay out of things like this. I wouldn't hesitate in encouraging them to end their dodginess though.

I agree. Like its been mentioned you need to make sure what you know is 100% accurate. When it comes to kids being involved its a hard call. But I know I definately wouldnt do it as its none of my business as the consequences dont fall on my shoulders if she was to ever get caught.

kiwibird27
11-02-2009, 11:03
Think it's disgusting they are doing it.. How do they not get caught out????? I think u should tell... I can't even get centrelink help for my disabled daughter cause I am from New Zealand and those "AUSTRALIANS" are freely ripping it off.....Think people being quiet and not reporting is wrong.

delirium
11-02-2009, 11:30
Whatever you do, don't confront them, I think that is the worst idea yet.
If these ppl are dodgy enough to be doing this, who knows how they will react when you dob them in. If you warn them first, they will know it was you and you would be putting yourself at risk.
Just make the anonymous call to centrelink.

:iagree:I wouldn't say anything to them, bc if you do decide to dob them in they will know it's you and things could turn ugly.

People can be quite conniving. They will use different postal addresses to where they are living, and I believe Centrelink will advise them first of a visit to check their living circumstances (please correct me if I am wrong on this).

:yes: That's the problem. I know someone that dobbed in a family where the partner had 2 jobs, and she was getting the SPP. They were raking it in, and the friend got tired of it and went to the website to report a fraud. Apparently, they were sent a letter that someone had dobbed them in. All she did was ring up and tell centrelink he visited the kids but didn't live there and that someone malicious was doing it, and the family never heard from Centrelink again. :rolleyes: Didn't even do a home meeting with the family or anything.

SPP fraud is notoriously hard to prove. The fathers can be there 3 nights a week and even have stuff at the partners house.

You may need to make several reports on them for CL to really investigate beyond a phone call.

ladybugblue84
11-02-2009, 11:38
Think it's disgusting they are doing it.. How do they not get caught out????? I think u should tell... I can't even get centrelink help for my disabled daughter cause I am from New Zealand and those "AUSTRALIANS" are freely ripping it off.....Think people being quiet and not reporting is wrong.

They don't get caught because people don't inform centrelink when they suspect or know someone is being a fraud. People are then able to get away with it because those who know about it won't say anything because they don't want to feel guilty if things go pear shaped for this family as a result. If you do dob these people in you shouldn't feel guilty if they are punished in some way or another as they are the ones who did the wrong thing not you & they should deal with the consequences which will probably be repaying all of the money they have recieved under false pretences. I don't know how these matters are investigated by centrelink but I assume they do it in a private way when it is just accusations or heresay. They don't just break into peoples houses all fires a blazing on the accusations of one person surely they will investigate first.

It just really stinks when people who really deserve assistance from centrelink (as above) have to either jump through hoops to get anything or don't get anything at all & then there are people who do this & scam money & others who know willing to let them get away with it!

Seekrit
11-02-2009, 11:50
they don't get caught because people don't inform centrelink when they suspect or know someone is being a fraud.
exactly!

Jakois
11-02-2009, 11:52
SPP fraud is notoriously hard to prove. The fathers can be there 3 nights a week and even have stuff at the partners house.

You may need to make several reports on them for CL to really investigate beyond a phone call.

:eek:Three nights a week. No wonder it is so hard to prove.

Mrs Dolphin
11-02-2009, 11:57
I would most definitely report them and immediately. What gives them the right over anybody else to receive this "help" from the government when they are not entitled to it at all. If there were not people like this ripping off the system then there would be more money to help people who genuinely need it like the age, disabled and carer pensioners - not to mention single parents who genuinely need help.

Please do something at ONCE!

tee
11-02-2009, 12:02

A little off track, but are you sure you aren't entitled? My family are all from New Zealand, not citizens but permanent residents and are entitled to payments.

suemp
11-02-2009, 12:21
i reported someone via website and nothing was done, might try phone number.
so what if the op isnt 100% knowledgableof all facts. c/link will not lock them up straight away, they will investigate. if its proven innocent than nothing will happen but if they are in fact ripping the govt of there will be 1 less leech in the world.
makes me soo mad. my dp often cant work due to a back injury- something that he was born with thats progessivly gettin worse. apparently its not bad enough for the pension but too bad to work. he struggles thru work but is often in so much pain. my point is we struggle, doesnt mean we pretend im single so we get extra money. the people i know that are illegally claimin ssp is so they can save for a deposit for a home loan and pay for stuff like the pub, kids sport etc. grrr

[Mod] Uniquey
11-02-2009, 12:26
In answer to the OP, ultimately only 'you' can decide whether you know enough 'facts' to report them, and whether you feel it is the right or wrong thing to do by reporting them. Obviously you can do it anonymously, but being that you seem to be very privvy to their financial set-up etc, be prepared for the consequences if they were to ever find out it was you, which I have no doubt you're thinking about, hence your dilemma as to whether to report them.

My Mum's ironing lady recently got reported to Centrelink for 'cash in hand' ironing and she was monitored and then had to repay all the money back etc, and now they watch her like a Hawk, and that is in nowhere near the scale of the couple you know.

sandy_1902
11-02-2009, 12:42
i would.. not because jealousy or anything but its illegal..

Cicho
11-02-2009, 13:40
I have decided what is the point of dobbing in the cheats? Centrelink make it so easy for the scumbags to rip them off that is their own fault in the long run.... Our welfare system must be the laughing stock of the rest of the free world....:confused:

All you have to do is tell them fraud is not occurring and they believe you.

Although I am sure the staff would be able to smell a rat a mile away but due to legislation, not be able to do a thing about it

emma26
11-02-2009, 15:19

I would not even think of informing centrelink of their "wrong doings" if i just ASSUMMED it.

We don't talk about it that much ... but yes, we have discussed it quite a few times over the years. I told her just the other day how tough we are doing it and her comment was "why don't you do what i do .. claim single payment?".. :rolleyes::eek:.
This girl does'nt run around town telling everyone about their finances, but she does'nt have a problem letting it all off her chest to me about it.

naiwen
11-02-2009, 15:22
Please report, fraud is a crime and what sort of example is that setting to her children?

Jakois
11-02-2009, 15:23
I would not even think of informing centrelink of their "wrong doings" if i just ASSUMMED it.

We don't talk about it that much ... but yes, we have discussed it quite a few times over the years. I told her just the other day how tough we are doing it and her comment was "why don't you do what i do .. claim single payment?".. :rolleyes::eek:.
This girl does'nt run around town telling everyone about their finances, but she does'nt have a problem letting it all off her chest to me about it.

Well if she is happy to be bragging, than sure report her:).

mum2bubba
11-02-2009, 15:30
You telling centrelink that they are doing this and for the last 5 years, they will have to pay back the money will most prob be charged and could even go to jail...

could you live with yourself if that happened?

i know how you feel with them ripping centrelink off.
maybe just tell them about someone "you know" is doing the same and got caught and could be going to jail.

if you dop them in they will prob loose there house i know ppl would think sucked it but they have kids to think about id tell her to just tell centrelink the truth.

I agree with this, even though it gets me really mad when I hear about things like this as it makes it harder for the rest of us trying to do the right thing. I would be telling them that you know about what theyr'e doing and maybe threaten to dob them in if they don't stop.

Shame on them. :shame: I'm pretty sure karma will come and bite them in the bum.

SuperGranny
11-02-2009, 16:06
hi, im not sure of the processes with centerlink, but dont the people recieving benifits of any sort, have to at least once a year provide centerlink with correct information, honest information about their situation and then centerlink reviews the case and the benifits are adjusted accordingly. ?? so if this is the case, these people have lied to centerlink repeatedly over the years, just so they can keep getting this extra income. That makes my blood boil. It is not right for some people to rip off the system, while others who do need help, get nothing. If she is bragging to you, she would have bragged to others, I would not worry about the consequences, and I would definatly dob her in. I dont know if centerlink will act on only one phone call anyway, but they should. It is simply wrong in every way, legally, morally, socially, , they should just have to pay it all back. Marie.

Queen
11-02-2009, 16:15
I have been in your position, and I dobbed them in, and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Call the fraud line and dob them in NOW, you can do it anonymously, but it needs to be done. By knowing and letting them continue on, is nearly as bad as them commiting the crime in the first place.

Thats JMO though

princessmummy
11-02-2009, 17:46
im wondering if centrelink really pays attention as i know of a lady who dobbed in a lady who has been on pps for 11 yrs & was only single for 1.5yrs she also works & collects cash child support it was over a yr ago & nothing has happened

3blue&1pink
11-02-2009, 17:49
im wondering if centrelink really pays attention as i know of a lady who dobbed in a lady who has been on pps for 11 yrs & was only single for 1.5yrs she also works & collects cash child support it was over a yr ago & nothing has happened

From what I have been told from a centrelink ex worker there need to have been three verbal reports before doing anything.. but one signed stat dec and they will look into it within 3 weeks of the report being made.

I don't know how true it is but it did come from a ex centrelink worker who worked in the department that caught frauds!

princessmummy
11-02-2009, 17:52
thats a bit silly then
i know centrelink has arrived at her door stop before when she was dobbed in a few yrs ago but her partner was at work & she got away with it

~Candy~
11-02-2009, 18:11
For the record..centrelink takes every report seriously!

OP..if you feel they are doing the wrong thing, then report it anon via the centrelink site.

RockmelonDreams
11-02-2009, 18:26
I would dob them in. You can do it anonymously now online or on their phone hotline. I look at it that if you know someone is frauding the system and you don't do anything about it then your helping them to fraud the system.

Phezza
11-02-2009, 22:32
Ive been in the same position twice. First time was similar to how you described it, and the second was cash in hand earnings. Both times they were good friends, and both times i dobbed them in.

I think of it this way, which may be completely wrong, but its how my mind works.

If no one ripped the government off, then everyone would be receiving more from them. The more money the government are able to get back from dodgeys like that, then the more money they would be able to hand out to people that actually NEED the money. They are taking money out of OUR pockets. :thumbsup:

sockstealingpoltergeist
11-02-2009, 22:47
No I wouldn't, I would send them an anon letter telling them to stop claiming.

There are innocent children involved, and I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them as a result.

There are other ways around it, and who knows whats going on behind the scenes.

I think that there are far more evil people in the world then people who defraud centrelink. Plenty of wealthy people rip the government off all the time.

If no one defrauded centrelink then no one would get more money, I mean who are we kidding.

BabyfacedMum
12-02-2009, 11:46
No I wouldn't, I would send them an anon letter telling them to stop claiming.

There are innocent children involved, and I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them as a result.

There are other ways around it, and who knows whats going on behind the scenes.

I think that there are far more evil people in the world then people who defraud centrelink. Plenty of wealthy people rip the government off all the time.

If no one defrauded centrelink then no one would get more money, I mean who are we kidding.

:iagree: I don't think I could do it with small kids involved. Yes it may be the right thing to do and it is very patriotic to do so but those kids would definitely factor into my choice. I also know my opinion will not be the popular one but it is what it is and no hard feelings I hope?

I also agree that dobbing people in wont save the government or the taxpayers any money - it wont put more money into OUR pockets.

The amount of money lost to welfare cheats is quite small actually. I seriously and firmly believe that welfare fraud is not as big an enemy of the taxpayer as the headlines would have you believe.

The amount of money that centrelink's fraud investigation teams spend on recouping sometimes quite small debts it quite ridiculous.

They will spend sometimes thousands of dollars investigating and then trying to recoup a debt that is only a fraction of what they have spent in recouping that debt.

Yes we might get back various "debts" but at what cost? I think sometimes centrelink get so caught up in "making an example" of people that they don't really assess how much money they are spending in crucifying that person and making that example.

Also in cases of fraud if someone is convicted and sentenced to a jail term - sometimes that can negate the need to ever pay the money back. This is at the judges discretion of course but the judge can stipulate that due to inability or lack of desire to pay back the funds they will go to jail in leiu of paying the debt back. How often this happens I don't know - but it can happen?

In the end what this means is that not only are we unlikely to ever see some debts repaid but we are also slugged (as taxpayers) the bill for keeping this person in prison...therefore saving the taxpayer NOTHING. Npt only will be fiscally responsible for her incarceration if she is jailed but also the extra costs of additional family payments to her partnered now that he will be separated due to jail. Increased CCB and CCR because he would presumably need to put the children into childcare whilst he works. Also there is the possibily that he cannot cope with the kids on his own and they are removed and put into foster or kinship care - at a cost to the taxpayer. The financial repercussions are greater than I think people realise.

Economically for every $1.94 that is recovered from a "welfare cheat" approximately $1 is spent recovering that $1.94. This does not include additional costs such as prison time that we fork out for.

I just wonder if it's worth it taking a childs mum away from them for what will be in reality quite a measly sum.

I would also write her an anonymous letter telling her that you know what she is doing and that she has X amount of time to get her sh!t together or else you will be reporting her to centrelink. I know what she is doing is wrong but I would be more inclined to try something else before reporting her to centrelink. There are just so many factors involved and I think that if she was warned that you would report her she would cease doing what she is doing without necessitating the need to bring in the big guns and cause chaos to her young children and cost us (the taxpayer) more funds than her debt is probably worth.

Tax Cheats are far more evil in my opinion yet people are always turning a blind eye to people who make bogus claims on their tax return. There are wealthy people who have defrauded the ATO of MILLIONS of dollars - the average centrelink debt is a whole $1,000. Yet the lions share of govt fraud cases involve centrelink. I think this misleads the general public into believing that welfare fraud is rampant and committed by the most devious of people when in reality most cases of fraud involve quite small sums of money and are usually committed by people with very little means - ie people who are close to the poverty line anyway.

I guess for the government they go for the weaker cases, the ones who are less likely to be able to afford high priced barristers to defend them in court. Going after the wealthy who CAN afford top class representation is not such a "sure thing" and wont make them look as good.....I mean afterall we all lap up the screaming headlines announcing that yet another evil welfare cheat wrong-doer has been brought to justice and our tax dollars are saved yet again...article complete with a carefully staged photograph of the cheat looking as shifty eyed and dislikeable as possible......Thanks to the diligent work of the Fraud Investigations Dept - when in reality all they did was shoot at fish in a barrel.

It really is a personal choice and you need to do what you need to do to sleep at night. IF that means that you need to dob this person in then please do it by all means. I am glad to not be in your position as I would find it very difficult. I am thankful that the vast majority of Australians do NOT defraud the system and so far I have not encountered anyone that I know of who has defrauded the system so have never had to make that choice.

One thing though....how DO you know so much about their finances? I am just curious as I don't discuss my families household income with anyone - not even family in any depth. I mean we don't hide anything but I doubt my friends would have any clue at all if I was claiming a centrelink benefit of any type - we simply don't discuss it. How do people find out about welfare cheats? About all those partnered parents claiming the SPP? I mean my next door neighbour could be doing it but I wouldn't know! I am just astounded that so many people would be so open about breaking the law and committing a crime!

Good luck with whatever you decide! :hugs:

amandaw
12-02-2009, 12:29
the average centrelink debt is a whole $1,000. :

To some point I agree with you BFM, but 5 years of SPP at $400 a fn, plus then I'd imagine whatever Part A/Part B/CCB they are eligible for is a hell of a lot more than $1000!! (more like $50 000 just for the SPP part :eek:)...and when you put it that way, that is a HUGE amount defrauded from all of us

As other posters have said, it's not like it's just an oversight or the occassional cash in hand babysitting/whatever, or that the OP is lead to believe that they are doing it tough, and it's a short term thing to help them get by...they have thought it all out - give a different address to centrelink, go in and correctly estimate income on the part time job yet don't update their other 'details', have had more children together and have had other money in to help set them up...these people are out and out defrauding if all of this info is correct, and if they aren't ever challenged about it, who knows if and when they may stop it - should we be footing the bill for another 5 years worth of their 'misinformation'

And OP - while the letter might be a good 'in between' measure - I'd imagine there aren't too many people she's shared this info with, so I think it would be fairly obvious who it might have come from, so I'd be avoiding that. If you are confident in your information I personally would be going for it in this situation

Ana Gram
12-02-2009, 12:33
Yes, you should. I know there are much worse people in the world doing far worse in financial crimes but the people who do the wrong thing with welfare make it more difficult for those of us who do the right thing.

Those of us who have to rely on Centrelink and are doing the right thing are treated like scum a lot of the time and it really it quite horrible.

TripleTime
12-02-2009, 12:33
Id dob them in. No two ways about it. What they are doing isnt right & in the long run makes it harder for everyone else.

Id they have been doing this for years they will have a massive massive debt to pay back at little or no interest.

our little treasures
13-02-2009, 20:06
Yeah I don't think approaching them direct is gonna be a good thing for the OP-er. Even if SHE doesn't dob them in in the end, if she has confronted them about it they will THINK it was her no matter what - and if they are this selfish to do what they have been imagine how they would be with her!!!!

It is a very poo-ey sitch to be in...

:iagree: I think you should say something anon though. DON'T let it get back to them, TRUST ME!!!!!

Yummy_Mummy
15-02-2009, 21:04
I agree with the other people on here who said to dob them in anon as even if centrelink dont do much it might give the people you are talking about a little bit of a fright to think centrelink are onto them.

Personally i would do it but thats just me :) do what you think is right

Phezza
16-02-2009, 21:27
Babyfacedmum, I would love to see where you get your figures from.

As far as I am aware, taking people to court is the last resort for Centrelink, they attempt to make every effort to recover the overpayment/debt prior to taking legal action. Some people are still entitled to their basic amount of payment after the fraud has been investigated and debts raised, they are therefore then able to deduct monies from the persons payment etc. If the person tries to work with Centrelink after they have been cought out, then the officers will work with them to retrieve the money back.

Centrelink also have datamatching facilities with numerous Government departments and organisations. If there has been a tip off about a person, they usually check there first before investigating the issue to the enth degree.

The ratio to how much the government spends to investigate these things to what they get back isnt actually that high. They probably were a few years ago, but these days with the above data matching, and more facilities to investigate these things, it usually costs a lot less, and the majority of investigative debts are usually a lot higher than $1000. I would say that the reason you belive the average debt is $1000 is because it is going off a nationwide debt amount, however the majority of debts that centrelink raise are under different legislation to those caused though fraud.

I would dob them in, unless you leave your details, they cannot find out who did it. If you decide not to, if they are ripping the system off that much, the government will probably pick them up in one way or another.. you never know too.. if they have told you what they are doing, they have probably told others.. who have probably already dobbed them in :)

mumof2brats
16-02-2009, 22:26
I want you to dob them in today!
These ppl are squandering my our tax dollars.
I want our tax dollars spent where they are needed, not stolen by con artists which is all that these ppl are.
They are stealing your money too. If you found out they had been stealing money from you and everyone you know for the last 5 yrs, would you still be asking this question? I doubt it, I think you'd be getting the problem sorted out ASAP.
Your conscience is telling you to do the right thing here.
I can't see them getting imprisoned if it's their first offense but I can see them losing their house to pay back the debt, and rightfully so.

:iagree:they should n't be getting away with it :no::banghead:when there are families out there that live week to week on what they get (and im one of them families).:hair:

i myself has thought of doing this,i will admit that.
but its wrong and in the end it catches up with you, and you have to pay it all back

why should they get a free ride while other people struggle week to week?????????

Cicho
17-02-2009, 06:12
I have been reading the PP's quotes of "dob them in" , and I agree with that wholeheartedly, but what the hell is the point when Centrelink forewarn their customers they are about to pay them a visit due to a complaint?

It is the legislation that needs to be changed, the way it is sooo easy for the average Joe Blow to rip off the system. And it is. Too easy.

So yeah by all means dob them in, but don't expect too much to be done about it

In my experience people who rip off the system think it is their god given right to be supported by the government and will lie through their back teeth when it looks like their meal ticket is about to expire :(

delirium
17-02-2009, 07:17
I have been reading the PP's quotes of "dob them in" , and I agree with that wholeheartedly, but what the hell is the point when Centrelink forewarn their customers they are about to pay them a visit due to a complaint?

Ridiculous isn't it? Like hey, we are giving you a week's notice we're coming, but if you just want to tell us over the phone it's not true we'll believe you and not even come out :confused::rolleyes:

My friend that dobbed someone in, (and the person got off over the phone) said she cannot do it again bc the woman suspects it was her. So this family get to keeping ripping the system off while my friend struggles.

HarvestMoon
17-02-2009, 08:58
From what I have been told from a centrelink ex worker there need to have been three verbal reports before doing anything.. but one signed stat dec and they will look into it within 3 weeks of the report being made.

I don't know how true it is but it did come from a ex centrelink worker who worked in the department that caught frauds!

This isn't true. I was dobbed into centrelink by my mother making one anon call.. mind you i wasn't actually doing anything wrong. It was just her spiteful way of punishing me for still having friends after having my DS quite young (but thats a story of its own anyway).
All that happened was they sent out a letter saying that they were investigating me, had to call a number talk to someone and explain my situation.. was basically called a liar. Then had some forms sent out in regards to my living situation.. filled them out and that was the end of it.

jacethisa
17-02-2009, 14:25
Why not ring centrelink and get advice as to what to do?

Ask what would happen ect? ring from a payphone somewhere if you need to.. ( I worry they can get your number is all)

TripleTime
17-02-2009, 20:06
...( I worry they can get your number is all)

That they CAN NOT do, only people that can do that is 000 & places like NRMA etc.

suemp
17-02-2009, 20:39

It is the legislation that needs to be changed, the way it is sooo easy for the average Joe Blow to rip off the system. And it is. Too easy.

So yeah by all means dob them in, but don't expect too much to be done about it

In my experience people who rip off the system think it is their god given right to be supported by the government and will lie through their back teeth when it looks like their meal ticket is about to expire :(

see that may be the case sometimes but not always. once in a share house we had 3 people recieving paymens (the dole) centrelink would often just turn up to see if those people actually lived there and were notjust using the addrss falsly and they never gave warning that they were coming.
my friend was dobbed in, they went to her house unwarned and also knocked on her neighbours doors asking abut her circumstances

i say dob em in :yelclap:

gabETandme
23-02-2009, 20:50
What I dont understand is how have centerlink not caught up with them?

Surely after the second child being born to the same father as the first child the Lights and sirens should have gone off???? or diddnt she put his name on any of the certificates?

But then again I had friends who Im sure but cant prove it that they are ripping off the system too but I know that they have in the past.They were living together in the same room in the same bed for over 3-4 years and one of them were claiming disability support pension while they were at uni and the other worked full time so if they had told the truth they would not be entitiled. they had put on all the forms that he lived in the house but not as her partner just as a person of the opposite sex. The week they got married she just rang up and cancelled her payment saying she had finished school.

9 months later they had a child and put on all the centrelink forms his name and even on the birth certificate how was it not picked up that he had lived with her for all those years before its evidence on their paperwork. Sure this would set off alarms. Im also sure they are still ripping off the system some how as cant understand how they can earn so much money pay $3000 pm on morgage and get the amount of FA & CCB they do I wish I had the proof.

But make sure you have facts.

*Cj*
23-02-2009, 22:49
What I dont understand is how have centerlink not caught up with them?

Surely after the second child being born to the same father as the first child the Lights and sirens should have gone off???? or diddnt she put his name on any of the certificates?

But then again I had friends who Im sure but cant prove it that they are ripping off the system too but I know that they have in the past.They were living together in the same room in the same bed for over 3-4 years and one of them were claiming
they were at uni and the other worked full time so if they had told the truth they would not be entitiled. they had put on all the forms that he lived in the house but not as her partner just as a person of the opposite sex. The week they got married she just rang up and cancelled her payment saying she had finished school.

9 months later they had a child and put on all the centrelink forms his name and even on the birth certificate how was it not picked up that he had lived with her for all those years before its evidence on their paperwork. Sure this would set off alarms. Im also sure they are still ripping off the system some how as cant understand how they can earn so much money pay $3000 pm on morgage and get the amount of FA & CCB they do I wish I had the proof.

But make sure you have facts.

you can get disability support pension while your other half is making good money I think it is around $2600 a f/n before your cut of.
The more kids you have the more money the other half can make. You can all so study and still get DSP. If you get DSP then all FA and CCB is taken on your DSP. Not on your other half's income. I think My DP income went up to around 2900 a f/n when I got kicked of dsp :crying:. I use to get full FA and 100% CCB, full Rent ***. It was Great

mysterygirl2
18-10-2009, 21:24
It maybe annoying but perfectly legal Maire, but centrelink dont do enough checks on employment etc...

To the orginal poster, centrelink will one day check to see if they are earning any money through the ato! then they will get into deep sh*t.

emma26
20-10-2009, 07:03
Just an update

I kept my mouth closed, i just don't think i could ever live with the guilt.
The main bread winner in their family lost their job and times were tough. However, now that one of them is working again they still continue to rip off the system - without ripping off centrelink, they don't know how they will survive :no::rolleyes: BUT the worker in the household brings home $1000 a week in wages.

She is pregnant with their 3rd child and for their own sake i just hope they end up doing the right thing - OR centrelink will catch on once they realise she has 3 kids by the same man....but she's a single parent?? hmmmmmm

ILovePink
20-10-2009, 09:39
I would have no problem in dobbing them in! What low lives to think that they can just get away with it.

Hopefully Centrelink catches up with them!!!:D

mygrl
20-10-2009, 10:17
I think its a hard one. Coz you obviously dont see it as being fair (neither do i by the way) but at the same time its the poor kids that will suffer :( What there parents do isnt there fault..... i reakon do as someone else said and send them an anon letter saying they best start declaring to centrelink otherwise they will find out whats going on. They dont have to know its you.
Ive had friends do the same thing and while i dont believe in it myself, i dont think its my place to say anything.......... hopefully they get caught out and get a warning so its a win win situation. All the best :)

~BEXTER~
20-10-2009, 10:25
I say who cares if you have the full facts of not. No matter how much they are cheating the system they are still doing something wrong.

Dob them in and keep doing it until something gets done.

Do not speak to them first do not tell anyone you are doing it, just do it.

OhGeeMuma
23-10-2009, 13:26
Emma, you mentioned way back in the thread that she was getting about $400 per f/n from Centrelink. Are you sure she isn't getting Parenting Payment PARTNERED? This is about the rate for that payment and perhaps her DH is not earning as much as she says.

SimplyMum
23-10-2009, 20:04
Sounds like my sister! :(

bronny-jane
26-10-2009, 08:34
Emma, you mentioned way back in the thread that she was getting about $400 per f/n from Centrelink. Are you sure she isn't getting Parenting Payment PARTNERED? This is about the rate for that payment and perhaps her DH is not earning as much as she says.

i didnt see the post this quote is referring too, but $400 a fortnight, doesnt even sound like parenting payment.. sounds like family assistance..

mimsie
26-10-2009, 09:18
Full rate PP partnered is about $421 a f/n.

I honestly could never do it, we've even had it suggested to us before, especially when DH was doing an apprenticeship, but I don't like it when people do, and I would be living in a state of anxiety waiting to get caught.

I'm watching a hardcore review on a friend of mine who does everything by the book, bank statements and all - and she's worrying about things like her parents putting money in her account for her daughters birthday present last month! I've never been reviewed to the extent that I needed my bank statements.

I'm just on FTB now, as hubby earns too much for anything else. But having looked into the figures for our family if and when this 3rd baby comes along, on top of hubbys wages OMG! It's soooo high. I couldn't see why we would ever even need to rort the system with that kind of money! I was working part time until I started working freelance from home, and with another baby, they will pay me almost double my income from work. I'll have to give up my home stuff, at least for a while, so it's incredible to me just how much is available. We'd re-qualify for PP and the FTB is at a point where I don't even know if we will apply for PP it's plenty without it!

As for your situation, I did it once. I did it anonymously from their website. Reason being the person was basically being enabled by their payments. They were claiming single rates (no kids involved), in a long term relationship live-in with a partner making very good money, and she was basically free to use her entire newstart on her drug and gambling addictions. So I dobbed them in. They don't know it was me, but I know that she didn't go to jail or get charged or anything (most people aren't they just get reassessed and have a debt), and because of the reduction penalty + debt repayment when it restarted, she had to get a job and it's turned out to be good for her (she's said so since).

JiminyCricket
26-10-2009, 09:53
You dont have to ring and tell them there is an online website where you can report suspected fraud

heres the link
http://myaccount.centrelink.gov.au/individuals/TORS

You can remain anonymous if you like.
They may not be doing the wrong thing but if they are ripping off the system then they will get caught out eventually and they will end up with an even bigger debt to pay.

mysterygirl2
27-10-2009, 03:08
An anonymous email isn't always private, they can track you down through your ISP, in rare cases may call you to testify in court if it gets to that at all if they can be bothered going through the process to locate you. You are best doing it by payphone or a public computer. I wouldn't trust any website claiming this let alone Centrelink. People are always traceable via the computer. In the past (might still be) could be view via caller id on governement phones, I was asked many years ago by a staff member if its my correct phone number for the centrelink account they were dealing with, it was aprivate number! :eek:

jewelzy
27-10-2009, 10:59
If you decide to dob them in, what ever else you do make sure it can not be traced back to you.

Im originally from Europe and my home town had a lot of benefit cheats.

Ive seen people dob in benefit frauds before and they got a whole heap of grief, if the family found out who it was. Some even had to move house due to being targeted.

Im not against dobbing in, just please make sure it cant come back and bite you.

J

mygrl
27-10-2009, 12:04
If you decide to dob them in, what ever else you do make sure it can not be traced back to you.

Im originally from Europe and my home town had a lot of benefit cheats.

Ive seen people dob in benefit frauds before and they got a whole heap of grief, if the family found out who it was. Some even had to move house due to being targeted.

Im not against dobbing in, just please make sure it cant come back and bite you.

J

I totally agree, even though they are doing the wrong thing, i believe in Karma........ they will eventually get caught and when they do they will be in the crap!!!!