PDA

View Full Version : ELEVIT vs BLACKMORES????

mummyofbella
27-01-2009, 08:31
HI!
Just wondering if people know the difference between the elevit vitamins or the blackmores pregnancy tablets....I bought the elevit ones....mainly because thats what I used last time. The blackmores were lots cheaper though. What do people think???
THANKS!:)

LeeJ
27-01-2009, 08:43
I had the blackmores when TTC,

then switched a few months into being UTD, there is ALOT more in the elevit tablets, so i've stuck with those:)

(oh, and the blackmores are like horse tranq's! and you have to have twice a day, where as elevit is a reasonable size and only once a day, much better for my little head to remember LOL)

KatieKitten
27-01-2009, 08:46
my ob suggests elevit, but if you have any thyroid issues, its better to take blackmores as it containes vitamin A ( i think thats the vitamin that elevit does not contain)... please correct me if Im wrong...

main difference lke u sai is $$

Rianna
27-01-2009, 08:57
I'm reasonably sure that the Blackmores Pregnancy Gold has iodine in it whereas the Elevit does not. Could be wrong but that's what I believe.

NonnyMouse
27-01-2009, 09:16
My doc and pharmacst both said to not waste my money on those branded ones.... you can buy folate tablets on their own for about $10 for a three month supply.

As for the other stuff in them, I get all that from my diet, and if I were taking the supplements then the majority of it would be peed out again unused by my body. I reckon it's far better to receive your nutrients from food than synthetic stuff.

MamaHearts5
27-01-2009, 09:19
I have used Elevit with both my pregnancys, I just like them & once a day instead of twice a day is easier.:thumbsup:

zephani
27-01-2009, 09:19
I've taken Blackmores all throughout my pregnancy and I haven't had any morning sickness, cravings, food aversions or anything. Might just be coincidence but I'd recommend it to anyone!

Lukie
27-01-2009, 09:30
I was taking i-folic (folate with iodine) but since I couldn't stomach red meat (or lots of other nutrient-rich foods) in the first trimester I thought I better get myself a pregnancy supplement. I'm still not eating red meat and I'm 16.5 weeks! I found Elevit on sale at Chemist Warehouse for $42 for 100 tablets. (normally $52 at Chemist Warehouse). I like that it's once a day and has all the goodies in there as my diet is not very varied these days. At the moment I am alternating between eating pizza or pasta for my main meals! I think the difference is that Elevit has iron in it and Blackmores doesn't? It was in the section of the chemist where they have the iron tablets...

FertileMertile
27-01-2009, 10:43
I take blackmores and it has worked fine for me!

Grace3
27-01-2009, 10:48
My Ob prefers Blackmores.

pinkgingham
27-01-2009, 10:51
i have taken one for my first pregnancy and the other for my second pregnancy. they just seemed like the same thing for me.

Lilahh
27-01-2009, 10:57
I take blackmores, but usually forget to take the second one each day, so might switch to Elevit next pregnancy.

HappyLittleChappy
27-01-2009, 10:58
My doc and pharmacst both said to not waste my money on those branded ones.... you can buy folate tablets on their own for about $10 for a three month supply.

As for the other stuff in them, I get all that from my diet, and if I were taking the supplements then the majority of it would be peed out again unused by my body. I reckon it's far better to receive your nutrients from food than synthetic stuff.

:iagree: However the DR said if I did want to take one for my own peace of mind he suggested Natures Own brand.

sophiesmommy
27-01-2009, 11:02
i took elevit all through my pregnancy and afterwards while bf i am taking black mores...i dont think there is much diff except the price ... ...i think elevit is much better for you while pregnant and for bubs too..when i have bub no2 i will take elevit again..xox

KatieKitten
27-01-2009, 12:39
yes, thats right, elevit DOES NOT have iodine, which is really really important if you end up having thyroid issues.. its also important for babies brain development. having said that, its my second pregnancy and i have not taken anything this pregnancy, soooo lazy and bad of me!:dizzy:

splish n splash
27-01-2009, 12:47

:iagree: you only need folate unless your diet lacks the other vitamins.

annabanana86
27-01-2009, 14:47
much of a muchness I think...

girly
27-01-2009, 14:53
OMG I used Elevit when pregnant and Blackmores while breastfeeding but I never you had to take 2daily...DOES THIS MEAN IT HASNT EVER GIVIN ME ENOUGH VITEMINS

beebs
27-01-2009, 15:32
My thyroid levels are up with this pregnancy so my Dr told me to have Elivit as it contains no iodine where as the Blackmores one does:)

LeeJ
27-01-2009, 15:57
OMG I used Elevit when pregnant and Blackmores while breastfeeding but I never you had to take 2daily...DOES THIS MEAN IT HASNT EVER GIVIN ME ENOUGH VITEMINS

dont stress to much sweets, at least you were getting the one! you should think of the vitamins as 'top ups' anyhoo, (cause i dont know about you, but is dont get all my nutrients from food!:o)
Start taking the 2, one in the morning, one at night.

MAGIC
27-01-2009, 22:37
My GP and chemist said elevit and my OB said Blackmores for the omega 3 which I take everyday anyway. I guess it depends on what you are comfortable taking and your own diet.

tam3
28-01-2009, 16:06
hi there,
I used blackmores with last pregnancy n miscarried, this time using elivit and everything is going well i am 12 weeks now (not sure if that has anything to do with the vitamins), i prefer the elivit though as its easier to swallow n doesnt upset my stomach or give me major headaches like the blackmores did!

FertileMertile
28-01-2009, 16:55
I cant remember who said it but someone mentioned that you have to take blackmores preg vit 2 times a day?? :confused:

Well i checked the back of mine this morning and it said that you only need to take 2 tablets once a day.

I am using the blackmores preg and breastfeeding gold so I dont know if that is different to the 'non gold' version.

Cheerio
28-01-2009, 20:30
I think the big difference for me is the Iron content. I was taking blackmores but switched to elevit as it has twice the iron as blackmores (and that is assuming you are taking the required two tablets a day). Both times I have been low in iron at the first blood tests and both times it has improved after switching to elevit. My OB said to stay with elevit. Just something to consider :)

Glitterbug1980
28-01-2009, 21:15
I cant remember who said it but someone mentioned that you have to take blackmores preg vit 2 times a day?? :confused:

Well i checked the back of mine this morning and it said that you only need to take 2 tablets once a day.

I am using the blackmores preg and breastfeeding gold so I dont know if that is different to the 'non gold' version.

That's what I thought... I have only been taking two tablets in the morning with B'fast, not one twice a day.

squiglet
29-01-2009, 04:03
I take the Blackmores, 2 tablets once a day like the instructions say.
It's hard to tell with all the information for or against vitamins if they work or not.
I'm just going to eat healthy (well as mostly I can:o) and take the vitamins too just in case they do help.

gymmummy
29-01-2009, 08:56
I didnt know there was much of a difference either until i went to buy some for the second bubby-
i was more weighing up which one was more cost effective then what they had in them.

the pharmaicst asked if i was low in iron?
Elevet has the folate in it and the iron supplments but no fish oil- omga 3 which is supposed to be good for brain development
Blackmores doesnt have the high folate or iron in it but has the fish oil in it.

I took blackmores for the first and i think my boy is pretty smart lol so i decided to stick to what worked for me and have blackmores again as i like the fish oil idea.

zephani
01-02-2009, 18:58
I take blackmores, but usually forget to take the second one each day, so might switch to Elevit next pregnancy.

I was very forgetful too...so I used to take both blackmore tablets in the morning at the same time.

mummyofbella
02-02-2009, 06:54
I went to my DR the other day, she recommended to just take folate at the moment....don't need the extra stuff until later - as long as you have a balanced diet.

TripleTime
02-02-2009, 08:25
Im not taking anything extra, i do have a well balenced diet as i have for the last 21yrs. High fibre breakfast, salad or sandwich for lunch & meat & 3 veg for dinner wether is be fish, red meat (that i hate) or chicken. GP said i didnt need to take anything more as my body would only flush it out anyways.

Works for me.

shockinamillion
02-02-2009, 08:56
I have to take elevit as I am not allowed the extra Vit A because of my BIH. Vit A helps to increase the fluid in the brain and I certainly don't need ANY help in that are, though now I know about the lack of Omega 3 and Iodine I am going to go buy some Odourless fish oil caps, does anyone know if odourless means tasteless too, I took the normal ones a few months back and threw up because my reflux bought back the taste of them. Either that or I will just add a bunch more fish to my diet. Iodine is easy, I will just get the salt with iodine.

TripleTime
02-02-2009, 09:16
I have to take elevit as I am not allowed the extra Vit A because of my BIH. Vit A helps to increase the fluid in the brain and I certainly don't need ANY help in that are, though now I know about the lack of Omega 3 and Iodine I am going to go buy some Odourless fish oil caps, does anyone know if odourless means tasteless too, I took the normal ones a few months back and threw up because my reflux bought back the taste of them. Either that or I will just add a bunch more fish to my diet. Iodine is easy, I will just get the salt with iodine.

You still get a grose tatse if you burp with odurless, just eat some salmon or a fatty fish. Tastes way better!

Chub Chub
02-02-2009, 09:19
IOdourless fish oil caps, does anyone know if odourless means tasteless too, I took the normal ones a few months back and threw up because my reflux bought back the taste of them. Either that or I will just add a bunch more fish to my diet. Iodine is easy, I will just get the salt with iodine.

I by no means can guarantee it will work with reflux BUT my cousin works at a natropath and says to freeze the fish oil caps so you don't get it repeating on you. Worked for me:yes:

TwinsOnWay
02-02-2009, 10:13
I was taking Elevit for the first while but then I realised when I accidentally missed a day or two that it was making me nauseous. I had just thought it was morning sickness. When I switched to the Blackmores I was less nauseous.

shockinamillion
02-02-2009, 16:08
Booger on the taste, I will just eat more salmon and Tuna (I looked it up and tuna is good too :)). I like them both so no biggie there. BIL wen to the shops earlier and got me some iodised salt :) Now to get used to food with some salt.

TripleTime
02-02-2009, 19:57
Booger on the taste, I will just eat more salmon and Tuna (I looked it up and tuna is good too :)). I like them both so no biggie there. BIL wen to the shops earlier and got me some iodised salt :) Now to get used to food with some salt.

If you cook with the salt insted of putting it on your food before you eat it you will get the same result with out the salty taste.

Try crumbed chicken breast with salt & pepper in the crumbs.