PDA

View Full Version : How to spell Madeline

beesnees
11-05-2006, 16:56
Hi All, there seems to be a few ways to spell Madeline (Madeleine, Madelin, Madelyn, Madilyn, Madalin), and pronounce it. To me Madeline was pronounced Madelyn but the other day I heard it pronounced with 'line' on the end. I really like the spelling of Madeline but want people to prounce it Madelyn. How do you prounce it and how would you spell it? Thanks in advance for your opinions. :D

OM
11-05-2006, 17:00
I would pronnounce Madeline (line)
Madelyn (lynne)

razzle
11-05-2006, 17:03
I've always spelt it Madeline and pronounced it Mada-LIN.

I've always thought that Madeleine was pronounced Mada-LINE.

OM
11-05-2006, 17:25
Trying to remember back to primary school if in a word there is a vowel in front of an E the E will make the vowel say it's own name ie: I would be 'eye'! etc etc!;)

CJJHRA
11-05-2006, 18:05
Madelyn (lynne)

same here for me

Beany
11-05-2006, 18:39
I'd pronounce them all as Ma-da-lin and wait to be corrected :D

Betsabe
11-05-2006, 19:46
Madeleine (len ending) :thumbsup:

Madeline (line ending) :thumbsup:

These are the only two spellings I can tolerate ;)

Madelyn etc... :thumbsdown:

shed
11-05-2006, 20:01
I love this beautiful name and prefer the Madeleine spelling which to me looks more elegant.

I wouldn't ever pronounce it Madda-Line though, no matter how it was spelt. I think that's the cartoon way of saying it though (could be wrong).

But Madeleine would be more likely to be pronounced correctly I guess. Since it doesn't actually have "line" in it.

Either way, its a gorgeous, gorgeous name.

ETsMum
11-05-2006, 21:57
I know a Madelaine... that's a different spelling again... Pronounced with a lyn sound

CJJHRA
11-05-2006, 22:21
Madelaine I would say as madel- lane

krissyandtommy
11-05-2006, 22:35
In regards to the spelling of Madeline, can I just say that is such a classic, feminine name and both my hubby and I will choose that name if we have a girl. I prefer it spelt Madeline and pronounced Madalen it just means less letters for the poor kid to have to try and spell later and most plaques and gadgets in shops have it spelt that way. Madeleine looks more formal and french and I would pronounce it Made- line, so stick with first option.Good luck!:o

me-30
DH-30
Awaiting bub on 15/5/06 4 days and counting!:smiliedance:

limlib
12-05-2006, 02:11
One of my friend's called her daughter Madeleine (I just love this name and spelling). It is always pronounced with 'len' or ' lyn' never 'line' at the end. I think Made'line' sounds quite American to me. Whichever way you go I think it is a beautiful name for a girl. My friend's daughter gets Maddie as a nick name which is also cute.

jmacg
12-05-2006, 08:35
I agree with you is a beautiful name and Maddie is cute as a short form. Have ONLY seen spelt Madeline and said way you all said. One of my favs but DH didn't like the babies first name to have same letter as her surname. Both love the name we chose though-phew!

SamanthaJane
12-05-2006, 13:10
I think of Madeline as line (like fishing line) because i think of madeline the tv show (which i used to LOVE)

I think of madalyn/Madalin as being lin (as in rhymes with tin)

Lol sorry for the bad examples:eek:

maddysmama
12-05-2006, 15:20
One of my friend's called her daughter Madeleine (I just love this name and spelling). It is always pronounced with 'len' or ' lyn' never 'line' at the end. I think Made'line' sounds quite American to me. Whichever way you go I think it is a beautiful name for a girl. My friend's daughter gets Maddie as a nick name which is also cute.

My daughter is Madeleine and pronounced the same as above... Same nickname too:D

Cinta
12-05-2006, 17:51
Madelyn (lynne)

Yep i agree with Oscar's Mum. Thats how i would pronounce the two names. I personally love Madelyn the best, its one of my fave names. And you get to call her Maddy for short :D

I think of Madeline as line (like fishing line) because i think of madeline the tv show (which i used to LOVE)

I think of madalyn/Madalin as being lin (as in rhymes with tin)

Lol sorry for the bad examples:eek:

PMSL!! :laughing:

ETsMum
12-05-2006, 21:36
- but that is not how her mother says it.

Hokey Pokey
15-05-2006, 17:07
Madelyn (mad-a-lyn)
Madeline (mad-e-line)

bbem
26-05-2006, 13:30
:) We named our DD Madeline. My DH wanted it spelt this way as he considered it the simplest and easiest way to spell it (even though I loved it spelt Madeleine!). We mostly pronounce it Mad-e-lyn, but our DS (3) corrects us and says it is Mad-el-ine. I think DS gets it from the cartoon.

:detective: The cartoon is actually from a lovely French kids book written in 1952 by Ludwig Bemelmans. It is full of rhyming verse and he uses the pronunciation Mad-el-ine. Someone has told me you can visit Madeline's house in Paris, Which we would dearly love to take our Madeline to see when she is older.

One advantage of spelling it Madeline is all the merchandise related to the cartoon. There are actually 6 books on Madeline's adventures by the same author. I plan to get them all for our DD to treasure.

quriouskey
09-06-2006, 17:35
The cartoon is actually from a lovely French kids book written in 1952 by Ludwig Bemelmans. It is full of rhyming verse and he uses the pronunciation Mad-el-ine. Someone has told me you can visit Madeline's house in Paris, Which we would dearly love to take our Madeline to see when she is older.

According to the US Penguin website (http://us.penguingroup.com/static/packages/us/yreaders/madeline/bio.htm), Bemelmans was a US citizen when he wrote Madeline (born in Austria). He named the character after his wife whose name was, interestingly, spelt Madeleine. I'd guess that the -ine spelling and pronunciation are American.

mum2bubba
11-06-2006, 20:37
I prefer Madelyn (mad-a-len)

Madi
11-06-2006, 21:00
Hi

My name is Madeline and I pronounce it with a 'lyn' sound. I have had only a few people in my entire life say it with a 'line' sound at the end. Usually if they do that, they then sing me the cartoon song.:)

SassyMummy
12-06-2006, 18:23
I would spell it Madeleine and pronounce it "line." IMO, it looks prettier, classier, both childish and grown-up, and I think it makes that "line" sound. If I were to name my daughter Madeleine, I'd definately use the "line" sound...as I think that saying it "lyn" makes it sound a bit "slack". (As if us Aussies don't already make every other word sound lazy...).

I think that, if you want it to be pronounced LINE, then you should spell it accordingly. The word "leine" or "line" in the name, IMO, make it obvious that it should be said as LINE. If you want it to be said LYN, then make it Madelyn or Madelin or Madylin or whatever. IMO, it makes it easier.