PDA

View Full Version : what is the earliest & latest you think is ok to be using a lawn mower?

jennababe
11-10-2008, 21:26
today being the weekend, i thought it was inappropriate for one of my neighbours to be mowing there lawns and using a whipper snipper at 8am in the morning. My son has been sick the last few days so has had some restless nights, and he was actually having a sleep in. Not to mention besides the noise of the mower some man was yelling at the top of his voice talking to someone. i just thought it was rude.. being a weekend working people want to have a sleep in.. i just think there should be a time limit.. i think at the earliest maybe around 9:30-10am to start.

That also brings up the issue of what time is to late, being daylight savings the sun doesnt go down til 7:30-8pm in summer. Alot of people go out on the weekend during the day and want to come home and relax and have dinner.. so i think there should be a cut off point in the evening aswell.. no later then 5ish..

am i the only person who thinks things like this are rude? i know people need to get there gardening done and have plans set out for the day. but 8am on a saturday morning.. plus yelling at the top of your voice imo is just plain rude!! i try to have respect for my neighbours!!;)

traseal
11-10-2008, 21:28
there are noise restriction times. I cant remember what they were though but i think it should be made later....around 10 am would be ok

reAllytee
11-10-2008, 21:32
I dont think that is early ....

I know it can be frustrating as all hell but maybe im now just more meh about these things living in a complex of townhouses which means there is always noise going on.

Both my boys have learnt to sleep with noise ... They have had to because of where we are.

I could understand being upset if it were earlier but 8am is pretty decent.

I know also a lot of the home owners over the other side of the street that are in homes are often mowing lawns around 8am or often as late as 8 or 9pm due to working shift work ... Doesnt bother me !

Loopy Linda
11-10-2008, 21:33
sorry but this makes me laugh, not at your personally jsut a converstion with my mother other day.

she is a shift worker and when it is a friday night and her neighbours are up till all hours with music loud enough to be very clearly heard in her house ( across road and two houses up) she tries her best to get out there with a lawn mower at 8am!

WorkingClassMum
11-10-2008, 21:33
According to our council:

Building works and noise can be a nuisance for neighbours, especially early in the morning and late at night. Times when noise is generally permitted is between 7am - 8pm on weekdays and 9am 8pm on weekends and public holidays

I'd check out with your local council about their noise restrictions, and then politely point out to your neighbour what the restrictions are and that you'd hate anyone to complain and him to get into trouble "...'cos you know what some neighbours are like!";)

sam's mum
11-10-2008, 21:35
I don't see a problem with starting at 8am. If you start too late then you are into the heat of the day.

jennababe
11-10-2008, 21:37
sorry but this makes me laugh, not at your personally jsut a converstion with my mother other day.

she is a shift worker and when it is a friday night and her neighbours are up till all hours with music loud enough to be very clearly heard in her house ( across road and two houses up) she tries her best to get out there with a lawn mower at 8am!

that is funny in that case!! loud music at night really sh!ts me!! lucky we dont have to much of that!!

According to our council:

Building works and noise can be a nuisance for neighbours, especially early in the morning and late at night. Times when noise is generally permitted is between 7am - 8pm on weekdays and 9am 8pm on weekends and public holidays

I'd check out with your local council about their noise restrictions, and then politely point out to your neighbour what the restrictions are and that you'd hate anyone to complain and him to get into trouble "...'cos you know what some neighbours are like!";)

dp was at work today.. but when i told him he said i should have yelled out the window lol...

Benji
11-10-2008, 21:41
Mmm I think 8 am is not too bad but that's only because I'm so used to being woken at 5-6 am :rolleyes: I really can't remember what a "weekend sleepin" feels like. I'm sure some people who work their butts off would enjoy a bit of a relax in the morning without the neighbours yelling and mowing at 8 am.

My stuuuuuupid neighbour always uses his hedgetrimmer at some UNGODLY hour, I don't even know how darn early it is because it's still pitch black outside.

So about once a month I have him trimming his... whatever!.... and then around 6 the planes start going over my house (and if I'm LUCKY they will wake me, if DS hasn't already at 5!).

Will I ever get a decent sleep??? :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

QTB
11-10-2008, 21:57
i dont think 8am is bad for a saturday...

my DH always mows at about 8.30am on a saturday, simply because its not too hot then, less sunburn risk, and it gets it out of the way...

sundays are a different story though, i think saturday is more a "working day" and sunday is more a "relaxing, family, sleep-in day" i think it should be 9am earliest start time on sundays. (not that i know what a sleep in is anymore lol)

doesnt bother me when someone starts a mower at all though, my ds will sit at the window watching so i get 30mins extra sleep :D

[Mod] Uniquey
11-10-2008, 22:59
It's funny this thread has come up, as only on Friday my DH was looking up the council website to see what the noise restrictions on lawn mowing are. We have a neighbour that as soon as daylight savins kicks in mows between 19.00 and 19.30 Although it is light outside it still seems too late, especially if people are trying to put babies/children down to sleep.:cool:

Myfanwy
12-10-2008, 19:12
Our local council noise restiction hours were 8am -6pm, 8am -7pm in daylight saving time. I am not sure what they are now. So I don't see a problem with someone mowing the lawn at 8am. I just wish we could mow ours at 7am, if we could it would not be as long as it is now.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

NibbleCurlynBub
12-10-2008, 19:16
Not before 9am and not after 6pm.

I think that's fair.

subaruforestermum
12-10-2008, 19:19
I too would say 8am is OK....I had a huge problem a few weeks ago when my neighbours starting building a freaking shed at 5.30am..I was soooo angry that I got out there in a loud voice (we are all on 1 acre lots by the way) and made a comment about how freakin early it was...so they stopped...lol..

Started again at 8am, or a bit after, which I was fine with....

We are ones who mow our lawns late arvo too...when the weather is cooler....as during the day out here, I got burnt at 8am partly in the sun...so no way we go out and do yard work during the day....

SweetSerenity
12-10-2008, 19:28
8am is a fine time i think, any earlier would be a problem. Saturdays are generally a 'doing' day, and if you work full time i can see why someone would want to get out at 8am and get the lawns over and done with. Check your local council noise restriction times. Unfortunately neighbours aren't mind readers and don't know when we have sick children who are up all night, would be nice if they were he he :laughing:

canberramomma
12-10-2008, 19:30
8am - 8pm. We live in suburbia, tolerance is desperately needed!

lovingmotheract
13-10-2008, 09:00
i have asked my dad this heaps as he works on a building site and he knows what time you can start up and thing loud and week days it's 7am till 10pm and weekend it's 8am till 9pm

Skittles
13-10-2008, 09:14
i think its any time between 7am and 8pm....

One night our neighbours had a huge party till 3am. We called the police but they had other thigns and ours was low priority. So we stayed at mums for the night. Then the next morning came home at 7 and started mowing etc right near their windows :D

pinkgingham
13-10-2008, 10:05
anything before 7am and i would be pretty P.O'd...i think 8am is fair