PDA

View Full Version : What age did your bub start feeding itself with a spoon?

Miriam
30-07-2008, 16:28
My DD is 15 months old and still not capable of eating food by herself with a spoon. Actually, she still isn't overly interested in solid foods and will only eat bits and pieces :(. We did baby led solids at 7 months and she is also breastfed which she loves.

My mum made me feel bad yesterday as she said my DD should well and truly be using a spoon by now and that she would also be deficient in nutrients like iron.

Personally I don't think it really matters about spoon feeding at this age. As long as she's some how getting food in her mouth I'm happy :rolleyes:

Just wondering what age your baby started feeding itself with a spoon?

M&Ms
30-07-2008, 16:34
DD is 15 months and can feed herself an entire meal.... only started happening a month ago... we just started giving her a spoon and had another for us and in between her trying to feed herself we spooned some in as well.... pretty soon she only wanted to do it all herself and cracked it if we tried to help....i wouldn't be too concerned you are right the main thing is as long as they are eating. Maybe just give bub a spoon and see what happens? It gets messy!!

jaq
30-07-2008, 17:28
My DD2 is 16 months and can manage a spoon and guide it to her mouth, but its not particularly effective just yet. (Sticky foods are best to try with - they stay on the spoon better!)

This is quite new as well ... only the past fortnight, really. I haven't really been trying to "teach" her how ... just let her try when she wanted to, and put up with the mess. (There is a LOT of mess.)

I wouldn't be too worried it ... she'll pick it up slowly now, or quickly later. Like so many of these "development" things. At their own pace is best.

babygiggle
30-07-2008, 17:43
my DS is 19months and is soooo not interested in using a spoon/fork... he'd rather use his hands!
he eats a lot, so i'm grateful for that!

Miriam
30-07-2008, 17:52
Thankyou ladies for your replies.

M&S - I have tried giving DD a spoon with her meals but she just doesn't seem to grasp the concept. I'll keep trying though.

Jaq - You're right. My DD has been a little on the slow side with most of her milestones so I figure she will do it when she's ready.

Babygiggle - That's great that your DS is such a good eater. Has he always been that way or is it just recently?

loveshack
30-07-2008, 18:36
DD started to eat with a spoon around 18 months,she has her days though,and sometimes eats with her hand as well...don't stress too much about it,all babies are different :)

JimJamsMum
30-07-2008, 18:50
DS is 15 months and can guide a spoon to his mouth. He still has trouble manipulating the spoon in the bowl to get some food on it but he's getting there. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The time will come.

lukaelmo
30-07-2008, 19:01
Felix is 16 months and I have always given him a spoon, so he just kind of took to it naturally. I wouldn't worry though, he uses his spoon, his fingers, and just this morning, his whole face in his porridge.

As someone above said, just give her a spoon and let her go... and it will get very messy :D.

Miriam
30-07-2008, 19:18
[quote=lukaelmo;2898214] I wouldn't worry though, he uses his spoon, his fingers, and just this morning, his whole face in his porridge.

LOVE IT :laughing:

UmmInayah
30-07-2008, 21:32
My DD insists on eating everything with either a spoon or a fork, and it's not just one. It's 2. One for each hand. If you give her just one she fusses and whinges "Two! Two!"

She hasn't quite got the idea of eating stuff she gets on the spoon, she would much rather feed me. And if I refuse, everything on the spoon goes all over the walls cos she flings it around. So most of the time I sit there with my mouth open and a spoon in my hand feeding her while she feeds me :rolleyes:

Hope she gets the drift of feeding herself soon. Getting tired of boring oats for breakfast every morning :p

bubbasmum
30-07-2008, 21:36
Ds is almost 19 months and is only just beginning to use a fork and spoon on his own. We started giving him a spoon at around 1 and he has picked up his skills since then. He can pick up soft foods with the fork but still finds it harf to pick up meat and stuff.

miraclebaby
30-07-2008, 21:50
My cheeky little brat boy CAN feed himself sloppily with a spoon or a fork but chooses not to when there is something more interesting to do. I usually start feeding him, he takes over for a while and then gets bored, I get impatient and finish the job. I know he is a lazy boy at the moment andwants Mum to feed him but I also know that he is likely to change at any minute and want to do everything by himself. I figure he's not going to be 16 and wanting Mum to feed him .... is he???:laughing:
He's 18 months old, nearly 19 months

Miriam
31-07-2008, 01:46
Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems as though the average age for spoon feeding can range from anywhere between 14 to 20 months.

I will just keep giving DD a spoon and I'm sure she will pick it up sooner or later. I hadn't even really thought about it until my Mum put her 2 cents worth in :p but now I feel better.

Thanks again everyone for your replies :)

MummyGoingMad
31-07-2008, 13:57
I wouldnt worry. My DS is 19mo and still struggles with a spoon, has trouble guiding it to his mouth etc... but he also loves playing with the spoon and flicking food everywhere, which is fantastic for me (NOT!). He mostly uses his hands except for very gooey stuff like yoghurt and even then he makes a huge mess. I'm not worried, he's improving and he'll get there when he wants to =D

mum2bubba
06-08-2008, 15:37
Hayley was about 2 when she started using a spoon. Skye is 15 months and tries using a spoon. She has a bit of trouble though.

Sarahg
20-08-2008, 22:18
DS1 has just recently mastered forks and spoons (19 months now). he's had his own for quite a while, but started to refuse us feeding him at about 14-15 months. This week he's managed porridge by himself and 2 weeks ago thick soups went down pretty smoothly. He's pretty proud of himself!
We've found that the thicker plastic handled metal ended cutlery is easiest for him to hold and manipulate.
Good luck

MummaFug
21-08-2008, 09:56
My DS has been feeding himself since he was about 12 months....He hardly ate anything and one day I got up and walked away (i had had enough of the no eating) when I came back into the room - he was sitting there eating happily...
So from then on - he began to feed himself (I always finish it off)
At 19 months - he feeds himself everything with a spoon and fork - with hardly any mess

kimmymonster
21-08-2008, 19:47
I have b/g twins who are almost 16 months old.
My DS can eat rather well with a spoon or fork now, he has been trying and playing around with using them for a couple of months. But my DD is only interested now in trying to feed herself she hasn't mastered getting the spoon to her mouth very well yet.

julietv8
24-08-2008, 15:57
DS manages ok at 4.5 months
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh53/julietandmark/Oliver/DSCF0548.jpg