PDA

View Full Version : Does St johns wort really help with anxiety?

Fuchsia!
10-07-2008, 22:36
Has it helped you? I really want to stay away form meds and i want to try everything before i have to.

What has been your expriences using it? Is it worth it?

smilewithme
11-07-2008, 11:18
Yes i found it a life saver :thumbsup:! I found after the second day of taking it i was already starting to feel better!

And a lot of my family swear by it!

canberramomma
11-07-2008, 11:30
I give my hubby St Johns Wort tea sometimes, but it has an effect on his vision and bright light is uncomfortable for him while he is taking it, so we tend to stick to rosemary and lavender and vitamins. I know others who swear by it, though!

Duchessa
11-07-2008, 11:36
I'm taking high dose Vit C, mega B, fish oil, magnesium and St John's Wort and I think the combo works a treat (for stress, anxiety and mild depression).

Sometimes if things get a bit much (2x 3y/os, one baby and absent husband can make for stressy days), I take a few doses of Brauer's Calm - I think it works well.

Ana Gram
11-07-2008, 12:20
I use it for panic attacks and if I use it early enough, I can minimise the severity of the attack.

FiveInTheBed
11-07-2008, 14:06
I was just about to ask the same question...
I've been suffering from what I believe is a whole mixture of bad PMS, depression, anxiety and alike...have been taking St johns wort, evening primrose oil, multi vitamin and valarian at night. That with trying to 'think' my way better. The last two months I've experienced some pretty emotional upsets with both sides of my family and friends...and I don't know if it is a mind over matter thing...but I truly think this combination of remedies HAS worked for me. But everyone is different.
Apparently it has no bad side effects and is non addictive, so I can't see the harm in trying... And think Happy Thoughts :hugs:

Lila
11-07-2008, 14:23
:thumbsup: yep- it does work.

cheezelz
11-07-2008, 14:29
My Dh used it for a while and it was great. It also helped heaps with anxiety issues in the bedroom :smiliedance:. He combined it with a stong vit B for day to day energy and that imporved his spirits too.

Ive heard that in Germay you need a perscription to use it so must be good!

Worth a try really.

Fuchsia!
11-07-2008, 20:35
its a bit expensive though, thats my only worry.

So the people who said it did work, how bad is your anxiety?

Blueberry Crumble
11-07-2008, 21:06
I saw a documentary yesterday about it. Apparently it works for more mild depression and anxiety. Obviously for more severe cases it wouldnt be strong enough Im guessing.

I tried it before going on antidepressants and it didnt work for me. My anxiety was just too severe. So now I am on anti-depressants and havent looked back since.

bagel
12-07-2008, 11:05
It did nothing for me or hubby, i think it only works for very very mild anxiety or depression (ie- just general day to day life stresses basically, not actual depression or anxiety), and even then it doesn't work for everyone. It can definately have side effects, just like any other medication or herbal remedy, and i know you have to be very carefull if taking it at the same time as any prescribed medication.
So I personally found it to be an expensive waste of money, medication prescribed by a Dr is for me much cheaper and much more effective.

Ana Gram
12-07-2008, 11:41
I don't agree with that. I suffer from clinical depression and quite severe panic attacks and they do help me. What is important to remember is that everyone's chemical make up is different which is why things like anti depressants work differently for everyone.

Blueberry Crumble
12-07-2008, 12:42
I agree chelle... everyone's brains are different and obviously what would work for one wouldnt work for another. It didnt work for me but that doesnt mean it wouldnt work for OP.

I would give it a go first... u just never know. There is a combination of herbal remedies (I think) that can all help with anxiety/depression. I dont know what your financial situation is like Jaxcoop, but perhaps think about seeing a naturapath as a first step. That way you may find the herbal stuff works for you and you dont haveto go down the path of clinical drugs. Atleased you can say you gave it a shot.

And if it doesnt work then dont be afraid to start antidepressants if you feel like it is taking over your life. I honestly wouldnt have a life without those two little tablets I haveto take every morning. I dont have the luxury of thinking about any negative long term effects of taking them- for me they are a necessity i am truly grateful for.

So yeah, I would give the herbal remeidies a shot first. Just start simple and work your way up from there.

Fuchsia!
12-07-2008, 15:32
The health food shop said i can't take it with my pill as it lessons the effects of the pill! Anyone heard of this before?

Tam-I-Am
12-07-2008, 15:44
They've advised you correctly - do a google search on "interaction between St John's Wort and Oral Contraceptive Pill" and quite a lot of studies will come up. It lessens how effective the pill is, increasing the likelihood of breakthrough bleeding and pregnancy.

St John's Wort itself has been extensively studied and in clinical trials has been found to be as effective as some of the commercially prepared antidepressants if taken in the same way (ie at a therapeutic dose everyday for at least 2-3 months). Of course, as everyone's chemical make-up is different, this means (much like chemical antidepressants) that it will work for some people, and not for others.

Hokey Pokey
12-07-2008, 15:53
Didn't work for me :no:

2princesses1prince
12-07-2008, 16:31
Duch, do you take that combination in seperate tablets or is there a multi that you use?

Fuchsia!
12-07-2008, 17:57
They've advised you correctly - do a google search on "interaction between St John's Wort and Oral Contraceptive Pill" and quite a lot of studies will come up. It lessens how effective the pill is, increasing the likelihood of breakthrough bleeding and pregnancy.

St John's Wort itself has been extensively studied and in clinical trials has been found to be as effective as some of the commercially prepared antidepressants if taken in the same way (ie at a therapeutic dose everyday for at least 2-3 months). Of course, as everyone's chemical make-up is different, this means (much like chemical antidepressants) that it will work for some people, and not for others.

Thanks for that. Im actually not on the pill for contreception though, im on Diane which is for my acne. Would it mess with that?

Frazzled
12-07-2008, 20:57
Worked great for me in conjunction with Blackmores Vit B Stress Executive formula. I am missing being able to have it while pregnant. I have quite severe anxiety (bordering on OCD tendencies) and a lot of paranoia associated with this. My massage therapist is also a trained aromatherapist and she has got me using an oil called Vetiver, which I put on my abdomen just under my rib cage. This helps a lot with my panic attacks too.

Tam-I-Am
13-07-2008, 00:27
Thanks for that. Im actually not on the pill for contreception though, im on Diane which is for my acne. Would it mess with that?

Yes, more than likely it would reduce how effectively it treated your acne. However, I guess if you're willing to do so, you could try using them both and see what the outcome is with regard to your acne, and whether you're willing to live with that outcome. Just be REALLY careful with contraception in the meantime - don't rely solely on the pill :)

smilewithme
14-07-2008, 10:30
The health food shop said i can't take it with my pill as it lessons the effects of the pill! Anyone heard of this before?

I had not heard that one before! That is so not cool :(!