PDA

View Full Version : Renting a house - do you pay water charges??

Stargazer Lily
25-06-2008, 14:28
Hi
We're looking at moving to a new rental house and have been told we will have to pay for water usage - both quarterly supply charges and usage charges

We've rented before (mulitple times) and have never had to pay for water. So I thought it was always the land lords responsibility??

I think on previous rental agreements it has said that we have to pay if we use in excess of x amount.

If you're renting do you have to pay for water?

I just want to know if it's common before I challenge it :)

Thanks in advance!

borntobemummy
25-06-2008, 14:31
what state are you in? We're in NSW and we've always had to pay water usage.

Miaow
25-06-2008, 14:32
Whenever I rented I've always had to pay for water usage. The actual supply charges though are billed to the owner.

25-06-2008, 14:34
Are you in qld?
In qld now the water charges are billed to the landlord and he/she is allowed to charge you in turn.

chookat
25-06-2008, 14:34
we are currently in qld and only pay for our water usage and it was the same when we rented in nsw

WorkingClassMum
25-06-2008, 14:35
In Vic you pay water usuage, but not Parks & Gardens, supply charges and drainage

kiwibird27
25-06-2008, 14:39
yes, always in NSW, but only the usage charge, not the whole bill, Not when we lived in QLD though!

Stargazer Lily
25-06-2008, 14:40
I'm in SA - I've never paid for water and have rented 4 times with different agents/landlords

thanks for the feedback though - sounds like it is normal to have to pay

can anyone tell me roughly how much it is?

the agreement says $39.35 per qtr for supply, but I have no idea about usage and I know it would depend on how much we actually use but is water expensive??

sorry I sound so dumb!

Hollywood
25-06-2008, 14:41
We're renting in Melbourne and we pay for our water, and have done so in most of the places we've lived.

Zada
25-06-2008, 14:42
we rented in vic and had to pay for usuage only which was only ever $5-$6 a quarter lol

Stargazer Lily
25-06-2008, 14:52
thanks for that

$5-$6 a quarter sounds ok!!

it sounds like the supply charge should be the landlords responsibility though maybe...

I'll query it with the agent

trouble
25-06-2008, 14:55
in qld, I always thought the landlord paid for water. as I have never been charged for water whenever I have rented.

But I think you have to pay if you go over the set quote, or is that what you mean?

borntobemummy
25-06-2008, 14:57
we rented in vic and had to pay for usuage only which was only ever $5-$6 a quarter lol

that is very low!! We only pay usage and it is usually between $40 and $70 a quarter. We try to save water wherever we can and that's the lowest we can get it.

onemummmy
25-06-2008, 14:58
um on my lease it says I agree to pay for any excess usage charges, but I havent paid anything wherever I have lived so must not go over.

Zada
25-06-2008, 15:01
that is very low!! We only pay usage and it is usually between $40 and $70 a quarter. We try to save water wherever we can and that's the lowest we can get it.

oh wow! We own a house now and the most water usage we have is $15...

Stargazer Lily
25-06-2008, 15:05
yeah I've always had (from memory) we have to pay IF we go over the agreed quota of usage - and that has never happened so we've never had to pay anything

this agreement that I've been given today to sign has that option
"all water usage costs in excess of .... kL per annum" etc

and interestingly that option was originally ticked and the amount 125 kL written in BUT it has white out over it and then 2 other options have been ticked instead...

"all water usage costs for the period of the tenancy"

and

"all water supply charges for the period of the tenancy.... currently $39.35 per qtr."

hmm $70 a quarter for usage PLUS the $40 for supply is getting up over $100 a quarter then...

I just find it weird that I've never had to pay it before....

it must be up to the landlord/agent then??

there was nothing about the tenant being charged in the ad for the property or the application form and the agent never mentioned it either so I'm not very happy about it... :hissy:

subaruforestermum
25-06-2008, 15:10
um on my lease it says I agree to pay for any excess usage charges, but I havent paid anything wherever I have lived so must not go over.

That is what all our old rental agreements said, if we went over $20 water usage we had to pay the excess... Per however often, I cant remember but we never paid anything either...

$39 per quarter is $156 a year, we paid around $280 for our water bill, not including water usage. And we are on trickle feed town water...So that is supply, charges etc...

So basically you would be paying for half his water rates..Not including usage...

Sounds a bit much to me...

But that's cos I've never done it. We're in QLD.

subaruforestermum
25-06-2008, 15:12
Is there a rental tenancy board in SA, that you can ring and ask them the legalities of it....

YMo7
25-06-2008, 15:12
we live in nsw and have only ever paid the excess.

3blue&1pink
25-06-2008, 15:19
I live in QLD and have never had to pay it but I do have to pay if I go over my limit.. which I never have!

MoOaNdLiTtLePoPpEt
25-06-2008, 15:27
nope. never have!

subaruforestermum
25-06-2008, 15:37
Division 11—Rates, taxes and charges

73—Rates, taxes and charges

(1) It is a term of a residential tenancy agreement that the landlord must bear all statutory
rates, taxes and charges imposed in respect of the premises.
(2) However, rates and charges for water supply are to be borne as agreed between the
landlord and the tenant.
(3) In the absence of an agreement—
(a) the landlord will bear the rates and charges for water supply up to a limit
fixed or determined under the regulations; and
(b) any amount in excess of the limit is to be borne by the tenant.

I just found this snipet here http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/RESIDENTIAL%20TENANCIES%20ACT%201995/CURRENT/1995.63.UN.PDF (http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/RESIDENTIAL%20TENANCIES%20ACT%201995/CURRENT/1995.63.UN.PDF)

Seems they can do it...

Stargazer Lily
25-06-2008, 16:37
snap subaruforestermum! :)

I just found the same info - thanks for looking for me!!

so it looks to me like they "can" do it - sounds like it's just that most don't bother...

weird huh! you'd think the landlords would want to pass on all expenses possible to the tenants...

for now I'm going to wait and talk it over with DH tonight

unfortunately this isn't the only thing bothering us about the agreement they've given us... sigh

thanks heaps for all your help everyone who responded - I really appreciate it :)